HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Don't give up on Leblanc

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-07-2013, 11:47 AM
  #26
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,213
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaddict View Post
A little harsh. After all everyone else seemed to think he'd be picked
in the 1st round somewhere. But it sounds honest.

Then maybe it's not fair to be honest about the intention to be unfair.
I desperately did not want him even though I knew it was in the cards that it would be Leblanc at our pick. I had a cautious optimism based on reports and the excitement of people here, but it never felt right to me and outside of a decent stint in Montreal, he's been rather disappointing, but pretty much at my expectations.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 11:56 AM
  #27
Habaddict
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 838
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I desperately did not want him even though I knew it was in the cards that it would be Leblanc at our pick. I had a cautious optimism based on reports and the excitement of people here, but it never felt right to me and outside of a decent stint in Montreal, he's been rather disappointing, but pretty much at my expectations.
Of course that "stint in Montreal" seemed cause for optimism. Now there
is enough evidence for the pessimistic view as well.

I'm going to choose optimism. I've seen so many hab 1st round picks
bust out, since about the mid seventies, that I shouldn't have to go
through it again!

Habaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 12:02 PM
  #28
HCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The Wild West
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,959
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Maroon View Post
Just comparing Leblanc to guys who were taken near his draft position:

NHL Totals Gms G A Pts PIM

18 Montreal Louis Leblanc 42 5 5 10 28
19 NY Rangers Chris Kreider C 23 2 1 3 6
20 New Jersey Jacob Josefson 91 6 16 22 14
22 Vancouver Jordan Schroeder 31 3 6 9 4
24 Washington Marcus Johansson 183 33 62 95 22
25 Boston Jordan Caron 88 11 14 25 24
26 Anaheim Kyle Palmieri 70 15 14 29 15
27 Carolina Philippe Paradis No Games
29 Tampa Bay Carter Ashton 15 0 0 0 13


Outside of Johansson, none of the other players stand out.
Just because the other don't stand out doesn't make Leblanc any better it just means that the Habs didn't miss out on an obviously exceptional player by taking Leblanc over one of the others.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 12:06 PM
  #29
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,490
vCash: 500
Awards:
If anything it's showing that 2009 is looking like a pretty thin draft year all-around.

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 12:07 PM
  #30
HCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The Wild West
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,959
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Le Tigre View Post
He had a terrible injury that effects your wheels for a long time. He is a good skater and needs time to recoup.
He is a smart player who is an okay skater who couldn't afford to a lose even a half of a stride. He can't compensate with strength or physical play. I really hope he can bounce back and show some progress. At this point I am in a wait and see mode, neither optimistic or pessimistic.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 12:07 PM
  #31
HCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The Wild West
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,959
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
If anything it's showing that 2009 is looking like a pretty thin draft year all-around.
Yep! And of course that was the year it was held in Montreal

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 01:16 PM
  #32
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 33,125
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I didn't say impact in the NHL, I said impact in the minors. He's a non-factor in Hamilton, so to expect him to even come close to being effective in the NHL is misguided at this point.
He had an impact in Hamilton at 20. Was 11-11-22 in 31 games before being called up, that's a near 60 point pace and would have been an excellent rookie year in the AHL. He was obviously not ready for NHl last yaer but was called up due to myriad of injuries and trades, (5-5-10 in 42 games) showed flashes of skill and didn't look out of place.

No doubt he had a crappy 2012-13 season and it's a setback, but it's not like his development has been crap since being drafted. It's ONE crappy year out of 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemiseBleuHonnete View Post
I just don't get your point. You say : don't give up on him because all the other players drafted drafted near his spot all suck. Well, that's flawed logic to start with, you can't prove your point with an argument that's irrelevant about your premise.

Besides, he's already 22 and hasn't made a minor impact in the minors, which is rarely a good sign.

Now, look at he fact that we drafted many other prospects that leaped him the the depth chart and we'll likely have a few more this year, it's getting harder and harder to see him as a regular for us in the future.
He made an impact last year at 20. This year was definitely a struggle, but he is still plenty young enough to bounce back and far from being considered a write off.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 02:10 PM
  #33
Jakomyte
Registered User
 
Jakomyte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,232
vCash: 500
Leblanc has been solid and successful every year of his career except for last year. Why don't we wait to see if last year was an outlier or a trend before we write him off, because all other evidence suggests he can be a solid 2nd/3rd line NHLer. I think fans are often too quick to judge based on the most recent season, whereas its often best to look at a player's career to predict future performance.

Maybe I'm wrong and Leblanc will bust, but I don't think that one bad season will be the cause.

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 02:58 PM
  #34
Tim Wallach
Registered User
 
Tim Wallach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,622
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Which is a fair assessment. But to say he's a perimeter player is quite ridiculous. He's our best prospect along the boards.
I totally agree that he's great along the boards, but in that poster's defence, the boards are the perimeter.

Calling someone a perimeter player means they live along the outside of the rink and aren't good at getting to the scoring areas. It doesn't necessarily mean they aren't good along the boards.

Tim Wallach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 03:40 PM
  #35
Clumsyhab
Registered User
 
Clumsyhab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 6,889
vCash: 500
Many of us have not given up on him. We just think that he's not a top 6 forward.

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 04:38 PM
  #36
montreal
Moderator
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Sark
Posts: 25,381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLNY View Post
It took him a long time to get back to some sort of form after the ankle injury. No doubt he lost some confidence.
For sure, as he looked like a shell of himself, so I assume his confidence was really down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
He just needs to get stronger. Two-way players with good hockey sense shouldn't have to take 3-4 years to make an impact in the minors. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt because of his injury; but to me we're just grasping at straws to come up with some excuse. Maybe he's just not that good.
Leblanc was among the top scorers in Hamilton during his rookie season but this year he was terrible. So one good year one bad, next should be very telling since it's the final year he can play in the AHL without waivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
He has some talent, but seems to play a perimieter type of game, not sure if he can handle going to the dirty areas...I think he is a long shot to make the club next season...
this year he wasn't as involved physically, but he's not a perimieter type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaddict View Post
I don't think the habs have considered Lablanc a center for a while now.
He is a winger. Depth at center does't matter to him.
And obviously who's called up next is not an issue. The issue is that he
played poorly last year. Changing that is the important thing.
yes, leblanc has been a winger in Hamilton the entire time, he may have seen a couple shifts at center in his first year but is always a winger and I would think it will stay that way. Always felt he would end up on the wing when watching in in the USHL/NCAA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezpz View Post
I'd say Leblancs weakness is easily physical strength. He doesn't play a perimeter game but I'm not sure he can handle 82 games a year with his current build. Needs to get him to train with Subban over the summer instead of Desharnais or whoever trained him last summer.
agreed, he needs to get stronger and quicker imo.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 07:05 PM
  #37
icerocket
Registered User
 
icerocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Atlantis
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,507
vCash: 500
He's a bust.

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 08:48 PM
  #38
phoque taupe
Registered User
 
phoque taupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,388
vCash: 152
maybe kristo will take care of his ipod next season and leblanc will get going again

phoque taupe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 02:44 AM
  #39
bsl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 5,189
vCash: 500
Let me be blunt: Did anyone imagine we would be having this conversation 4 years after LL was drafted at 18th overall?

I did then, but most did not.

The fact that we are even having this conversation says everything to me.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 08:50 AM
  #40
Mathradio
Drive for 25
 
Mathradio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,739
vCash: 500
I haven't given up on Leblanc; he might be injury-prone...

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 09:10 AM
  #41
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 8,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Let me be blunt: Did anyone imagine we would be having this conversation 4 years after LL was drafted at 18th overall?

I did then, but most did not.

The fact that we are even having this conversation says everything to me.
Whatever.

No team has 100% success rate in the 1st round, I doubt there's any team with even 50% success rate.

We've had this conversation for Fischer and Chipchura.

We also had it for McDonagh and Pacioretty who were both considered busts on this forum back in 2009 or so.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 11:55 AM
  #42
HCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The Wild West
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,959
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Whatever.

No team has 100% success rate in the 1st round, I doubt there's any team with even 50% success rate.

We've had this conversation for Fischer and Chipchura.

We also had it for McDonagh and Pacioretty who were both considered busts on this forum back in 2009 or so.

Really? Not many considered either one of those two a bust.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 12:10 PM
  #43
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 33,125
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Let me be blunt: Did anyone imagine we would be having this conversation 4 years after LL was drafted at 18th overall?

I did then, but most did not.

The fact that we are even having this conversation says everything to me.
Had he gone NCAA he may just be leaving school now, that was his original plan.

His development is fine as long as he shows up focused next year. He didn't look out of place in the NHL at 20, you can't say taht for most young players.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 12:20 PM
  #44
HCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The Wild West
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,959
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Had he gone NCAA he may just be leaving school now, that was his original plan.

His development is fine as long as he shows up focused next year. He didn't look out of place in the NHL at 20, you can't say that for most young players.
To be fair, he was an "okay" player on a really horrible team. It is more difficult to ***** talent when the peer group is bad. He really needs another year of development so management can evaluate him properly.

In the end he might be an NHL player but it doesn't mean he will be an NHL player with Montreal

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 03:08 PM
  #45
montreal
Moderator
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Sark
Posts: 25,381
vCash: 500
From the closed thread,

Quote:
For those who saw him a lot in Hamilton, was he as bad as his stats and reports were?
yes, he often looked disinterested and struggled to create offense on a consistent basis. He just looked terrible out there for much of the time, I saw most of the games Hamilton played and it was night and day from what he looked like last year.

Quote:
picking this one up ... how do you like Leblanc's development this season?

he had only 18 pts in 62 AHL games (11/12 was 22 pts in 31 games) .. and he had no callups this year ...
It was really bad for him, he looked really lost out there. Granted the Bulldogs struggled so much just to create any offense, just watching their PP try to do anything could make you want to pull your hair out. So i'm sure a part of it was just how poor the offense was but he didn't look anywhere near what he did the previous year in Hamilton. Hopefully with the offseason though he gets back on track next season and has a much better year.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 03:45 PM
  #46
Andy
Moderator
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,920
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
From the closed thread,



yes, he often looked disinterested and struggled to create offense on a consistent basis. He just looked terrible out there for much of the time, I saw most of the games Hamilton played and it was night and day from what he looked like last year.



It was really bad for him, he looked really lost out there. Granted the Bulldogs struggled so much just to create any offense, just watching their PP try to do anything could make you want to pull your hair out. So i'm sure a part of it was just how poor the offense was but he didn't look anywhere near what he did the previous year in Hamilton. Hopefully with the offseason though he gets back on track next season and has a much better year.
I found there was a stretch, right before the lockout ended (if I remember correctly), where he looked like he was getting his game. I remember he was buzzing offensively, but couldn't really buy a goal (like the rest of the team). However, it didn't last long and he eventually fell back into being invisible.

He just seemed to lack that intensity from his first year. He looked like a player going through the motions, you would actually forget he was playing. It's just weird how different he looked as a player last year. He showed some much in his first year, especially in the way of hockey IQ...he was just flat and disinterested this year. Honestly, he reminded me of Maxwell's stints with the big club...he was just...there.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 09:42 PM
  #47
Habiton
Registered User
 
Habiton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 907
vCash: 500
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=655512

I encourage everyone to take a read of that to get an idea of what kind of player he can and will be before deciding to give up on him. He is a special talent that will silence the doubters, im sure of it.

Habiton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 09:58 PM
  #48
TT1
Registered User
 
TT1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,665
vCash: 500
leblanc is pretty bad, largely because he doesnt have a designed role. hes not physically or defencively imposing enough to be a 3rd/4th liner and he doesnt have the skillset to be a top 6 forward


Last edited by TT1: 06-11-2013 at 10:07 PM.
TT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 10:43 PM
  #49
Clumsyhab
Registered User
 
Clumsyhab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 6,889
vCash: 500
You can tell that his career is going downhill when he's dating Aleksandra Wozniak instead of Eugenie Bouchard

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 12:27 AM
  #50
Stripper
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,095
vCash: 500
Bouchard is out of his league man. Let him become an NHL player and then he can try to go after the bigger (hotter) fish.

Stripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:53 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.