HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

NHL working out details to have its players in Sochi

Old
04-17-2013, 01:35 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
There is no ASG during Olympics years. They're actually before and after when the Olympic break would be

The Olympics start Feb 7th and go until the 23rd.

These oudoor games will take place late January and early March.

So it's a good sign
I don't. Common sense that outdoor games during Olympics might have problems finding air time.

(I can just imagine that if the NHL does not break for Olympics, there might be zero to few games on NBC networks during the Olympics regardless.)

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 01:42 PM
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
There is no ASG during Olympics years. They're actually before and after when the Olympic break would be

The Olympics start Feb 7th and go until the 23rd.

These oudoor games will take place late January and early March.

So it's a good sign
But if they don't participate in the Olympics, wouldn't there be an ASG?

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." — -31-
Screw You Rick Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 06:06 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

EricOnSportsLaw 3:31pm via web Coming up in the second segment of Offside radio show, Bill Daly talks Olympics and a possible World Cup - on the Team 1200

EricOnSportsLaw 3:36pm via Twitter for BlackBerry®
Bill Daly: "We are much more of a media company" - this is the goal of all leagues - some are there other working on it

Interesting take.

Old
04-17-2013, 07:24 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post
But if they don't participate in the Olympics, wouldn't there be an ASG?
yes, probably sometime in february

these outdoor games will be going on during either scenario (olympics or no olympics)

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 01:57 AM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
EricOnSportsLaw 3:31pm via web Coming up in the second segment of Offside radio show, Bill Daly talks Olympics and a possible World Cup - on the Team 1200

EricOnSportsLaw 3:36pm via Twitter for BlackBerry®
Bill Daly: "We are much more of a media company" - this is the goal of all leagues - some are there other working on it

Interesting take.
That should be their goal, they've just done a terrible job of achieving that, imo.

DyerMaker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 10:09 AM
EbencoyE

I wouldn't be surprised if they decided on the Chicago - Pittsburgh matchup to capitalize on potential increased interest after the Olympics. Two marquee teams that could very likely meet in the Finals this year with obvious big name Olympians on their rosters. (Kane, Toews, Crosby, Malkin)

It also seemed to come out of left field whereas the games at Dodger Stadium and Yankee stadium had been rumored for a while.

EbencoyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 11:46 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Head of Finnish hockey fed, Kalervo "The Hutt" Kummola said yesterday that he'd spoken to NHL officials about Olympic participation and that it's basically done. Only the player insurance and travel cost need to be sorted out.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 01:26 PM
nyrmetros

Bring back the IIHF World Cup !!!!

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 01:27 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
Bring back the IIHF World Cup !!!!
It was never an IIHF tournament...

Old
04-28-2013, 01:40 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
It was never an IIHF tournament...
It should be! Didn't the jerseys have IIHF logos on them ?

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 05:04 PM
Theokritos

Quote:
They had the following logos on them:

Theokritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 08:03 AM
EbencoyE

Quote:
The World Cup was just an NHL-run exhibition. The 2004 event was only held for more money to be put away in the lockout war chests at that. It was an utter failure that played in front of empty arenas and had terrible TV ratings. No chance the World Cup ever returns, except in another quick money-grab scenario like in 2004.

It had IIHF sanctioning but it wasn't a true IIHF event.

EbencoyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 09:22 AM
viper0220
Go Jets Go

vCash: 50
NHL working out details to have its players in Sochi

NHL players will be in Sochi for 2014, I wonder if the NHL gets any money.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=422846

viper0220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 09:33 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 574
I don't think the NHL was ever asking for money (outside of insurance coverage of their players). The issues were more pertaining to access to the venues for league officials, ability to advertise players participation, and access to highlights from the games to display on NHL.com etc

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 09:36 AM
habsrule4eva3089

2-3 days of getting use to time change, 2 practices and off we go, I mean I understand it's a professional league but these athletes should be given the opportunity to participate in the opening ceremonies along with their countrymen in other respective sports, especially the Russian players being a home Olympics. The Olympics is a pinnacle for any athlete, losing a couple of more meaningless games in February won't harm anyone. -_-

habsrule4eva3089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 09:58 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule4eva3089 View Post
2-3 days of getting use to time change, 2 practices and off we go, I mean I understand it's a professional league but these athletes should be given the opportunity to participate in the opening ceremonies along with their countrymen in other respective sports, especially the Russian players being a home Olympics. The Olympics is a pinnacle for any athlete, losing a couple of more meaningless games in February won't harm anyone. -_-
Tell that to anyone who's ever played in the World Cup.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 10:32 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Tell that to anyone who's ever played in the World Cup.
Many footballers would probably consider the champions league more of a pinnacle than the World Cup even. In reality in most of the "professional" sports, the Olympics is not the pinacle. Tennis, basketball, golf (coming back to the olympics), soccer and even hockey, probably all have championships that are more coveted than an Olympic gold.

In terms of an international competition where you represent your country then it's probably the pinacle, outside of soccer where the olympics is widely disregarded.

Old
05-10-2013, 10:47 AM
cutchemist42

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Many footballers would probably consider the champions league more of a pinnacle than the World Cup even. In reality in most of the "professional" sports, the Olympics is not the pinacle. Tennis, basketball, golf (coming back to the olympics), soccer and even hockey, probably all have championships that are more coveted than an Olympic gold.

In terms of an international competition where you represent your country then it's probably the pinacle, outside of soccer where the olympics is widely disregarded.
???

The NBA isn't even that popular of a league, considering the Euro Leagues are combined a big deal as well. None of us have stats to prove it, but I would say Olympic Gold>>>>NBA Championship

Also, their ref/lineman wish, that's to have more of their NHL refs in the games?

cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 10:53 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
???

The NBA isn't even that popular of a league, considering the Euro Leagues are combined a big deal as well. None of us have stats to prove it, but I would say Olympic Gold>>>>NBA Championship

Also, their ref/lineman wish, that's to have more of their NHL refs in the games?
I've heard many players say that winning a Stanley Cup is a greater acheivement than an Olympic gold due to the fact your on a team through a season grind and then a grueling playoffs to become champion, while an Olympic (or Canada cup toruny) is a short thign where you just egt together for a few weeks and play.

And I have no earthly idea how you can say the Olympic basektball tournament is considered the pinacle of that sport. Half the players who play in it aren;t good enough to play in the NBA. The NBA championship is the absolute best players on the planet competing. The Olympic basketball tourny is far from it.

Old
05-10-2013, 10:57 AM
Mr Kanadensisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
???

you might feel that way, but most basketball players and fans feel the exact opposite.

If the best players are going the best ref's should go too, kind of makes sense

Mr Kanadensisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 11:12 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
While I don't look forward to the almost assuredly bad start times for the games for North American viewers, or possibly even worse the tape delay, I do hope that they get this worked out. Olympic hockey is a very nice and usually intense change of pace every four years.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 11:46 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...-iihf/2149823/

Quote:
"We are proceeding under the assumption that the NHL will participate in Sochi," NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly told IIHF.com. "We are still working on important issues with the IIHF and the IOC, and subject to our board of governors' consideration and approval, it remains the objective that Sochi will be the fifth consecutive Olympics with NHL participation and where the NHL shuts down for the duration of the Olympic tournament."

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...f-taking-part/
Quote:
To pile onto this, Yahoo! Sports’ Dmitry Chesnokov reports the Executive Director of the Russian Hockey Federation says the NHL will announce their participation in the Olympics once the World Championships are over. The gold medal game for Worlds is May 19.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=670090
Quote:
Daly told NHL.com on Thursday that he thinks an announcement could be made sometime between now and the end of the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

"We are working hard to putting together the last pieces to ensure NHL players' participation in Sochi," IIHF President Rene Fasel said. "We have some issues left but I, as always, remain optimistic."

According to the report, Daly outlined the NHL's planned logistical schedule for the Olympics should an agreement be reached.

Daly said the League's schedule would go into recess after games played Feb. 8, 2014 and wouldn't resume until Feb. 25, two days after the gold-medal game. NHL players participating in the Olympics would arrive in Sochi no later than Feb. 10. The first full practice day at the Olympics would be Feb. 11, and the tournament is scheduled to open Feb. 12.

"There is obviously a risk involved when you bring over a projected 160 to 180 NHL players, where the total contract value would be around $3 billion dollars," Daly said. "This is a risk which must be insured, especially in cases of season-ending or career-ending injuries."

The IIHF reported that team rosters can include up to 22 skaters and three goalies. That's an increase of two skaters from previous Olympic tournaments.

According to IIHF Sports Director Dave Fitzpatrick, the participating countries will be requested to announce their tentative rosters at least six weeks before the start of the Olympics. The schedules for the men's and women's tournaments will be announced in late May, according to the IIHF.

Old
06-07-2013, 12:27 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

http://www.sportti.com/uutinen.asp?CAT=2-4&ID=243160

Head of the Finnish hockey federation and IIHF vice secretary Kalevo "Boss Nas" Kummola said during Fridays news conference (announcement of the next head coach from 2014->) that NHL participation is almost certain.

"It's open and it isn't open. Everything is basically clear with only formalities remaining. I'm 100% sure NHL will be in Sochi."

"IOc will help with the insurance costs. It's up to Rene (Fasel) to negotiate how much."

If/when the agreement is reached in full, NHL will make it's players available for international tournaments for the next 10 years. That means Olympics up to 2022 (host decided in 2015), World Cups (either 2015 or 2016) and Worlds. There's also discussion of bringing back the Victoria Cup now that they're going re-start a European Club tournament/league. The latter is set to begin in 2015 with KHL on board.

Old
06-07-2013, 05:41 PM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
http://www.sportti.com/uutinen.asp?CAT=2-4&ID=243160

Head of the Finnish hockey federation and IIHF vice secretary Kalevo "Boss Nas" Kummola said during Fridays news conference (announcement of the next head coach from 2014->) that NHL participation is almost certain.

"It's open and it isn't open. Everything is basically clear with only formalities remaining. I'm 100% sure NHL will be in Sochi."

"IOc will help with the insurance costs. It's up to Rene (Fasel) to negotiate how much."

If/when the agreement is reached in full, NHL will make it's players available for international tournaments for the next 10 years. That means Olympics up to 2022 (host decided in 2015), World Cups (either 2015 or 2016) and Worlds. There's also discussion of bringing back the Victoria Cup now that they're going re-start a European Club tournament/league. The latter is set to begin in 2015 with KHL on board.

Too bad. I keep hoping for less international hockey rather than more. For example, if there was some kind of tournament of nations every 10 years or so, that would be interesting. But right now, there is just way too much.

rojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 06:36 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojac View Post
Too bad. I keep hoping for less international hockey rather than more. For example, if there was some kind of tournament of nations every 10 years or so, that would be interesting. But right now, there is just way too much.
Hockey as a sports won't survive internationally without international tournaments that bring in the money that help to arrange tournaments where the countries can test their level annually. Olympic exposure with the best players is also good for the sport and the NHL.