HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Antero Niittymaki hired as scout

Old
06-07-2013, 12:03 PM
starbuck97

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blah View Post
Are some people actually saying that hiring a goalie scout, who has actually played goalie for the Flyers, is a bad move? Seriously?
The inbreeding when looking for management/scouts/players is the bad part. I actually loved Nitty as a player, and he might turn out to be a good scout. But just because he played professional hockey doesnt mean its a good move. I think people on here understand that. Well at least I hope they do.

By that logic, hiring Michael Leighton to scout North American goalies would be a great move.

starbuck97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 12:36 PM
flyingsouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbuck97 View Post
The inbreeding when looking for management/scouts/players is the bad part. I actually loved Nitty as a player, and he might turn out to be a good scout. But just because he played professional hockey doesnt mean its a good move. I think people on here understand that. Well at least I hope they do.

By that logic, hiring Michael Leighton to scout North American goalies would be a great move.
But... Niity was a good goalie who was unable to stay healthy for long enough to reach his potential... Leighton has always been a crapbag... To use the schoolyard parlance, perhaps it takes one to know one... Or at LEAST the fact that Niity has a much stronger concept on what it takes to not suck places him above the MFLs of the world...

It should be interesting to see how this unfolds.

flyingsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 01:55 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsouth View Post
But... Niity was a good goalie who was unable to stay healthy for long enough to reach his potential... Leighton has always been a crapbag... To use the schoolyard parlance, perhaps it takes one to know one... Or at LEAST the fact that Niity has a much stronger concept on what it takes to not suck places him above the MFLs of the world...

It should be interesting to see how this unfolds.
This plus Homer had this to say about Niitty:
Quote:
You don't need to spend much time with Antero to get a feel for his knowledge of all aspects of the game, and what it takes to play at the highest level.

We believe Antero's understanding of the game will make him a good all around scout.
Regardless of what you believe Niitty wasn't hired just cause he was a former Flyer.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 04:26 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbuck97 View Post

Well most scouts do have some type of background playing hockey at higher levels, not all of them played in the NHL but I would bet a good amount of them did at some point.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 07:51 AM
bp spec

vCash: 50
Nice!

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 08:56 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
This plus Homer had this to say about Niitty:

Regardless of what you believe Niitty wasn't hired just cause he was a former Flyer.
Don't be so naive. I have no idea whether Nitty will be a good scout or not, but there is a reason the Flyers were the first place he called when he needed a job. This is the organization that has the likes of Cote, Fedoruk, and Berube in coaching positions. They do not care about hiring the best and most credentialed people for the job. It's all about rewarding loyal soldiers.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 04:49 PM
MP92
Ginger Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haute Couturier View Post
Don't be so naive. I have no idea whether Nitty will be a good scout or not, but there is a reason the Flyers were the first place he called when he needed a job. This is the organization that has the likes of Cote, Fedoruk, and Berube in coaching positions. They do not care about hiring the best and most credentialed people for the job. It's all about rewarding loyal soldiers.
So you're assuming just because those guys were scrubs as players, means that they can't make for good coaches? You're the naive one.

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 04:59 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOREacek View Post
So you're assuming just because those guys were scrubs as players, means that they can't make for good coaches? You're the naive one.
I don't know anything about Cote's and Fedoruk's coaching abilities but Berube was in charge of our PK this year (which was top 5 in the league). So that has to count for something.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 05:01 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOREacek View Post
This, most coaches in fact sucked as players. Btw Fedoruk is the assistant of the Titans (not exactly a real important position considering the majority of the players on the Titans aren't in the Flyers org). But great reasoning skills HC

Additionally It's Niitty w/ two Is as well as two Ts.

Last edited by FlyersFan61290: 06-08-2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old
06-09-2013, 04:35 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
This, most coaches in fact sucked as players. Btw Fedoruk is the assistant of the Titans (not exactly a real important position considering the majority of the players on the Titans aren't in the Flyers org). But great reasoning skills HC

Additionally It's Niitty w/ two Is as well as two Ts.
Tell that to Nitty.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 06:06 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haute Couturier View Post
Tell that to Nitty.

That's from Nitti the mobster (hence the bullet holes and the guy holding a tommy gun on the side) which is often incorrectly spelled with a y instead of an I at the end. Niittymaki however obviously has two Is and two Ts.