HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Mike Weber will be the next Captain

Old
06-07-2013, 12:28 PM
stokes84

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Mike Weber is guaranteed a spot in the lineup. That's when you know you're a bad team.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 12:28 PM
tsujimoto74

I don't do it too often, but I actually agree with Jame on this one.

Weber battles hard on the ice, sticks up for his teammates, and seems to blossoming into a more vocal leader off ice as well. He's exactly the kind of guy I want setting an example for our younger players right now.

I also wouldn't have any problem with Vanek getting the C if he stays here though, but I'd like to see Weber with an A if that happens.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 12:30 PM
OcAirlines

I think you are reading a little too much into those comments... But I could definitely see him wearing an A next season.

OcAirlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 12:32 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Send a message via Yahoo to Jame
Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
He thought enough of himself to go up to a hated rival and suggest a measure of solidarity, and the team fell in place behind him. I don't think Vanek should be captain, I don't think anybody should be captain right now, but I think you're going to far in the other direction to say why he shouldn't.
Hockey players shake hands at the end of a hard fought playoff series... Vanek did a nice thing. relating it in anyway to leadership of a team is stupid. I can't stand my neighbor down the street, but when his dog was loose I caught and returned him. It means I'm a decent person, it doesn't mean I should be head of the neighborhood watch.

Quote:
Calling Vanek a "leader" in the structure of the Rochester core is kinda disingenuous, too. He didn't get a letter until Rivet got benched/waived in 2011, when he was in the process of leading the team to the playoffs.
The Rochester Core was a failure in leadership... no one that was part of it, should be considered Captain.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 12:37 PM
Beerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Vanek is one of the most soft spoken players on the team. He's also been part of a leadership core that has accomplished dick in 6 years. Go find me one video clip of Vanek mad.

You really need to find a video clip of Vanek mad? ... Vanek is always pissed on the ice and in interviews.

Beerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 12:37 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
I understand those who don't "want" him to be the next Captain... personal opinion doesn't have to be well informed...

but those that disagree with the speculation based on the information available... why?

The coach is talking about him as a leader, he's talking about himself as a leader, and the players are talking about him as a leader...

do you need a calculator?
Well, this organization doesn't lack for talking, that's for sure.

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 12:40 PM
gallagt01

I also feel that handing Weber and Ott transitional reins by granting them primary leadership roles would have a lasting effect on some of this team's younger players.

With those two in charge, accountability becomes a standard. Hodgson, Ennis, Grigorenko, Girgensons, Pysyk, Myers et al learning under their tutelage would be good for their development as leaders.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 12:40 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
Mike Weber is guaranteed a spot in the lineup. That's when you know you're a bad team.
Sabres record after Regehr and Pommer were traded and Weber assumed the shutdown minutes/d zone starts and a bigger leadership role: 8-4-0

Small sample size... I know

Weber had a REALLY good year

Old
06-07-2013, 12:47 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by OcAirlines View Post
I think you are reading a little too much into those comments... But I could definitely see him wearing an A next season.
I'm reading fully into them...

Old
06-07-2013, 12:58 PM
Der Jaeger

I'm not against Weber, but it's not a slam-dunk "yes" or "no" for me.

Leadership is about doing and being. Sure, Weber is saying all the right things. And he has worked his way into a regular position. I'm not worried about Weber not having a regular spot - his play in 2013 assured that. But I'm not sure he's the best choice in terms of play. The best captains are guys like Toews, who play at a high level and have leadership skills. Weber is certainly not that type of captain.

I'm not against him, but what happens when the "transitional" captaincy is over? Do you strip him of the letter? How does that work? Some in the locker room will be with him, and it could divide a locker room that's ready to compete in a few years.

But I don't think Buffalo has much of an option. They could take a chance on Hodgson early.... it's a bad leadership situation. Best to just let the players vote.

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 01:10 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Sabres record after Regehr and Pommer were traded and Weber assumed the shutdown minutes/d zone starts and a bigger leadership role: 8-4-0

Small sample size... I know

Weber had a REALLY good year
He's failed to secure a spot in the top-6 heading into two consecutive seasons. He was a complete mess from about March 2011 until he got his opportunity this season.

If his play again regresses and he ends up in the press box, these threads will be about how much of a laughingstock this organization is because we're healthy scratching our captain for the second time in three years.

I'd prefer we look elsewhere. In fact, I'd prefer they leave it vacant for this season and then pick one in summer 2014.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 01:16 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
He's failed to secure a spot in the top-6 heading into two consecutive seasons. He was a complete mess from about March 2011 until he got his opportunity this season.

If his play again regresses and he ends up in the press box, these threads will be about how much of a laughingstock this organization is because we're healthy scratching our captain for the second time in three years.

I'd prefer we look elsewhere. In fact, I'd prefer they leave it vacant for this season and then pick one in summer 2014.
Are we only using the Lindy Ruff excuse in Myers favor?

Weber should never have been in the press box.... the previous idiot putting there is meaningless. ****ing Marc Andre Gragnani

Old
06-07-2013, 01:16 PM
sabresEH

Your captain needs to be a player who wont change his game whether or not he has a letter on his chest. When the last captaincy debate was going on it was between Pomms and Vanek. Consensus was that if it was Vanek he'd either take the ball and run with it or flame out(not captain material) so we went with pomms who we knew would give us solid consistent 2 way play. Looking at our roster now how many players will play the same game if they have a C or not? Weber is one of them, and if the coach, the players and he himself thinks he can lead this team than I believe them. How many USA fans went WHAT?!?!? when McCabe was chosen captain at the WJC and look how that worked out. We aren't in that locker room, we can only speculate as to who we think are the leaders. I say let the players vote, and watch them choose Weber.

sabresEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 01:25 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:

Weber should never have been in the press box.... the previous idiot putting there is meaningless. ****ing Marc Andre Gragnani
I was as disappointed as anyone when MAG got the job over Weber, but in fairness as I recall Weber didn't look good in preseason nor when he got his earliest chances that season. Let's face it, he's caused himself as much grief as can be pinned on Ruff. He's definitely had a learning curve to contend with, especially where it concerns being overly aggressive on plays that he simply doesn't have the skating to recover from.

I personally believe he's turned the corner for good but I think it goes too far to say he has a spot guaranteed when things are the mess they are with this team.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 01:32 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
The Rochester Core was a failure in leadership... no one that was part of it, should be considered Captain.
Vanek excluded from a leadership role because Lindy = Vanek isn't a leader.
Weber excluded from the lineup because Lindy = Ruff's an idiot.

Got it.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 01:33 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
In fact, I'd prefer they leave it vacant for this season and then pick one in summer 2014.
This.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 01:35 PM
AdamsApple

I don't think fans have any idea what goes on in a locker room, despite any "articles". Leadership is a hard thing to quantify, let alone from a distance.

I also disagree that Weber had a great year. I have lots of games DVR'd and rewatch a new one almost every night. At this point, the legend of Weber's 2012 season has way outgrown reality. He was better towards the end of the season, but he, like the rest of the team, gave the pick away constantly in his own zone. The game I watched last night against FL, two first period goals were scores by Weber's man. I like him and I think he does work hard and play physical, but lets not get carried away.

Last edited by AdamsApple: 06-07-2013 at 01:40 PM.
AdamsApple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 01:35 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

What a stupid, stupid idea. Let's make a borderline NHL player your captain.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 01:43 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Our captain will be a guy not even guaranteed a spot in the lineup. That's when you know you are a bad team.
Quote:
I'm sensing your not a fan of Weber regardless of the idea of him as captain.

As for Weber as captain, I'm with Chain, let the players decide.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 01:46 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
You must be referring to others, because I don't use a Lindy Ruff excuse for anyone. Nor do I engage in much, if any, debate about Tyler Myers.

Also, Weber's NHL career got off to a good start with Ruff. Did Ruff just ruin him, or does Ruff get credit for that?

(You're not roping me into a Lindy Ruff debate. I am too ambivalent about Ruff to spend time arguing about him.)

Quote:
Gragnani did poorly with his opportunity, too. Both were really bad in that training camp, and the tie went to the guy who performed the previous playoffs. And it's not like Weber was making the most of his opportunities that season, either.

I'm just not sold on Weber as a full-time player based on this season. I would not give him the captaincy.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 01:50 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post

Eh, I'm not excited about the idea of repeating the Rivet captaincy and I'm not excited about repeating that era's 3rd pairing defenseman as captain.

To me, if there is a C-worthy player on this team next year it will be self evident and in that case it won't matter if the players vote or if Rolston assigns it. Voting is a way of passing the buck, IMO, and leadership should always come from the top. I have no problems giving no one a C next year, I've always thought it was overrated anyway.

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 01:51 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post

I don't mind Weber at all, and really liked the way he played last year. But, he is what he is in my eyes,which is a 6-7 guy. I was being a bit facetious.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 02:00 PM
slip

My only concern is Mike's ability to build on his solid play from this season. I think he will but I'm not fully convinced just yet.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 02:01 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007 View Post
Eh, I'm not excited about the idea of repeating the Rivet captaincy and I'm not excited about repeating that era's 3rd pairing defenseman as captain.

To me, if there is a C-worthy player on this team next year it will be self evident and in that case it won't matter if the players vote or if Rolston assigns it. Voting is a way of passing the buck, IMO, and leadership should always come from the top. I have no problems giving no one a C next year, I've always thought it was overrated anyway.
I've always felt a team needs a strong leadership group that extends beyond the 3 players wearing the letters. A group that holds the team accountable and gets on players not on the same page as the rest of the team. It also needs the majority of the roster to be self motivated hard working players to have success. So I somewhat agree with you about the captaincy being overrated since I think it takes much more than just a captain. But I do think having a captain that reflects the things I mentioned does help the cause quite a bit.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 02:06 PM
haseoke39
Brainfart 4 Reinhart

How much money can I bet against this?

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote