HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 10.0

Closed Thread

Old
06-07-2013, 12:47 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** THE KING

vCash: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
ISS Hockey ‏@ISShockey 1m ISS NHL DRAFT COUNTDOWN #24 ANTHONY MANTHA Size, skill & skating ability to be top 6 F. Style compares: Woltek Wolski http://iss.tw/14oHzde
Ouch. I suppose it should be made clear that he said playing style, which isn't technically a bad thing since Wolski does have a good amount of skill for his size. All I can say is that if the Habs do take Mantha, he must have interviewed well..

All I know is that if the Habs go for a big bodied forward, I'd rather have Mantha over Gauthier.

Old
06-07-2013, 01:04 PM
Fozz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeHabsMan View Post
I see a big difference between someone like Lazar and someone like Gauthier. As for the last line it can be taken out but it gives a perspective of what the 1st round should look like.
Some teams will have Gauthier ahead of Lazar and some teams won't. They're very different players and have distinct qualities that make them desirable prospects. It's really hard to put one ahead of the other.

Old
06-07-2013, 01:05 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endersoldier View Post
Ouch. I suppose it should be made clear that he said playing style, which isn't technically a bad thing since Wolski does have a good amount of skill for his size. All I can say is that if the Habs do take Mantha, he must have interviewed well..

All I know is that if the Habs go for a big bodied forward, I'd rather have Mantha over Gauthier.
Why?

I see Gauthier with as much offensive upside...plays a more premium position...better defensively and more overall compete level.

Mantha has better numbers mostly due to being almost a year older(very late 1994).

Old
06-07-2013, 01:17 PM
Gaston Gingras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
This would be a nice haul -

25 - Mueller
34 - McCarron
36 - McCoshen
55 - Comrie
... not bad at all ...but I will like to get 1 or 2 players from LJMHQ

Old
06-07-2013, 01:29 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** THE KING

Quote:
Why?

I see Gauthier with as much offensive upside...plays a more premium position...better defensively and more overall compete level.

Mantha has better numbers mostly due to being almost a year older(very late 1994).
Mantha is a wild card for me since I'm going by scouting reports and eye witness tests here on hfboards, but by all accounts he does have the puck skills and shot to be a natural goal-scorer. I know you probably wouldn't take him on your team if he came to you for free, and that's fine, perhaps you will be right. Right now, I'll take outside sources on the whole.

I did, however, see some Gauthier at the U-18s. I would consider using a late second rounder on him, MAYBE one of the two early ones, but he did not give the feeling that he'd be anything more than a third liner if he works out.

I would prefer taking a Dauphin, who looks like he could easily be a third liner but has enough jump in his game to make it into the top-six.

Pretty much why I would be more okay with Mantha going 25 than Gauthier: if he has the tools everyone says he does, then I have hope he can make it as a scorer. He'll need to work on things with regards to consistency and using his size more (something Gauthier is not entirely innocent of either), so to be clear he is not my absolute favorite pick as of yet. If Montreal wants a two-way player, I'd rather have Dauphin going 25, simple as that. My personal preference would be McCoshen if he's still around but I dunno beyond that.

Last edited by BLASPHEMOUS: 06-07-2013 at 01:35 PM.
Old
06-07-2013, 01:38 PM
MonkeyBusiness

Quote:
Mantha is a wild card for me since I'm going by scouting reports and eye witness tests here on hfboards, but by all accounts he does have the puck skills and shot to be a natural goal-scorer. I know you probably wouldn't take him on your team if he came to you for free, and that's fine, perhaps you will be right. Right now, I'll take outside sources on the whole.

I did, however, see some Gauthier at the U-18s. I would consider using a late second rounder on him, MAYBE one of the two early ones, but he did not give the feeling that he'd be anything more than a third liner if he works out.

I would prefer taking a Dauphin, who looks like he could easily be a third liner but has enough jump in his game to make it into the top-six.

Pretty much why I would be more okay with Mantha going 25 than Gauthier: if he has the tools everyone says he does, then I have hope he can make it as a scorer. He'll need to work on things with regards to consistency and using his size more (something Gauthier is not entirely innocent of either), so to be clear he is not my absolute favorite pick as of yet. If Montreal wants a two-way player, I'd rather have Dauphin going 25, simple as that. My personal preference would be McCoshen if he's still around but I dunno beyond that.
I disagree with that, I saw him at the U-18 and in Rimouski. The guy is a very smart player, I feel that if he improves his skating and learns to use his body more he's going to be a very good player in the NHL. I don't know how you saw that from the U-18, he had a very good tournament.

Old
06-07-2013, 01:44 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** THE KING

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBusiness View Post
I disagree with that, I saw him at the U-18 and in Rimouski. The guy is a very smart player, I feel that if he improves his skating and learns to use his body more he's going to be a very good player in the NHL. I don't know how you saw that from the U-18, he had a very good tournament.
He had a good tourney, but I don't know if he has those tools you speak of. Smart player that can play a two-way role, but he wasn't as noticeable as Dauphin, who I think will be a more effective NHLer. I can kind of see some Bergeron in Dauphin.

Let me make myself clear: I'm not saying he can't make it as a second liner, I just don't feel as if I saw one in the making. I haven't seen him as many times as others either, so by no means think that I consider my opinion gospel to anyone, even myself. I'm simply going by how I felt at the end of the U-18s. Good player, would rather go elsewhere with the 1st round pick.

Old
06-07-2013, 01:44 PM
Ezpz
No mad pls

vCash: 50
Quote:
ISS Hockey ‏@ISShockey 1m ISS NHL DRAFT COUNTDOWN #24 ANTHONY MANTHA Size, skill & skating ability to be top 6 F. Style compares: Woltek Wolski http://iss.tw/14oHzde
A thousand dollars for the CHL import draft guide?

Old
06-07-2013, 01:47 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Quote:
Why?

Playing the devil's advocate here, that could be flipped over by taking Mantha's first year Q numbers when he was more than 6 or 7 months younger than Gauthier and Dauphin, and putting up pretty much the same numbers as they did this season.

Mantha (2011-12) 62/22/29/51
Gauthier (this season) 62/22/38/60
Dauphin (this season) 62/25/32/57

Old
06-07-2013, 01:48 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezpz View Post
A thousand dollars for the CHL import draft guide?
NHL draft guides are marketed to fans, I imagine 99.9% of the sales of that one are to CHL teams and other agencies.

Old
06-07-2013, 01:49 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Decently happy with the 2nd round, mad at the 1st.. Probably mad that we didn't get any of the big bodied boys in Bailey, Dickinson or Nastasiuk.
You're aware both Carrier and Poirier are as big as Nastasiuk, right?

Old
06-07-2013, 01:57 PM
MonkeyBusiness

Quote:
He had a good tourney, but I don't know if he has those tools you speak of. Smart player that can play a two-way role, but he wasn't as noticeable as Dauphin, who I think will be a more effective NHLer. I can kind of see some Bergeron in Dauphin.

Let me make myself clear: I'm not saying he can't make it as a second liner, I just don't feel as if I saw one in the making. I haven't seen him as many times as others either, so by no means think that I consider my he wouldn't be the first opinion gospel to anyone, even myself. I'm simply going by how I felt at the end of the U-18s. Good player, would rather go elsewhere with the 1st round pick.
Well the only tools I talked about was him being a very smart player, both ends of the ice. As I've said in the previous comments I think he has the potential to be a very good 2nd line center, as long as he improves his skating and uses his body more. Although he wouldn't be the first guy I want with the 25th pick, if we do draft him I wouldn't be mad.

Old
06-07-2013, 02:00 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** THE KING

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBusiness View Post
Well the only tools I talked about was him being a very smart player, both ends of the ice. As I've said in the previous comments I think he has the potential to be a very good 2nd line center, as long as he improves his skating and uses his body more. Although he wouldn't be the first guy I want with the 25th pick, if we do draft him I wouldn't be mad.
I suppose I wouldn't either, if Timmins got him then I would probably learn to like the pick since I trust Timmins. Don't love him right now.

Did either Gauthier or Mantha get recent growth spurts recently?

Old
06-07-2013, 02:07 PM
Bourdon101

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
And I remember hearing somewhere that Gauthier had decent size too.

Old
06-07-2013, 02:08 PM
Guilliam

Quote:

25 - Mueller
34 - McCarron
36 - McCoshen
55 - Comrie
I thought you were pretty convinced that McCarron would go in the 1st. Are you revisiting that statement? The more I learn about him the more I want the Habs to pick him and it would be great if they didn't have to use a 1st rd pick on him.

I wouldn't look at the goalies before the 3rd round as far as I'm concern. I think there'll be plenty of good players available at the 55 pick that I'd rather have and I'd take the chance on one of Comrie, Desrosiers or Jarry being available at our first 3rd.

I'd like to have your opinion (and everyone else's) on this : let's say the Habs trade up to about 15th, both Lazar and Horvat are still on the board. Who do you pick?

Old
06-07-2013, 02:13 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
https://twitter.com/McKeensDraftGs/s...82769120899074

McKeensDraftGuide ‏@McKeensDraftGs 2m
Sample from 2013 Draft Guide: Mike McCarron - Skating has improved dramatically thanks to steady upgrades in strength and foot-speed.

Old
06-07-2013, 02:14 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
Playing the devil's advocate here, that could be flipped over by taking Mantha's first year Q numbers when he was more than 6 or 7 months younger than Gauthier and Dauphin, and putting up pretty much the same numbers as they did this season.

His numbers are inferior to theirs...plus those guys both play center(more value) and are much better all around(defensively) players.

Old
06-07-2013, 02:17 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Quote:
His numbers are inferior to theirs...plus those guys both play center(more value) and are much better all around(defensively) players.
Anyways, I think it's more of an academic question for Habs fans as I believe someone will have scooped up Mantha before 25.

Old
06-07-2013, 02:43 PM
hey

Quote:

25 - Mueller
34 - McCarron
36 - McCoshen
55 - Comrie
That would be a fantastic draft. It would address some organizational weaknesses too

Old
06-07-2013, 02:47 PM
gunnerdom
Go HABS Go!!!!

Send a message via MSN to gunnerdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
I would take Poirier and Carrier way before Nastasiuk. I would not even hesitate.

Old
06-07-2013, 02:52 PM
Tim Wallach

Perhaps someone who follows the Q could comment more for me, but in the few times I've seen Dauphin, he reminds me a lot of Plekanec. Is that accurate?

Old
06-07-2013, 03:09 PM
Naslund

Nastasiuk, Bailey, McCarron, De la Rose, Mueller, Morin or Hartman. These are the players we need with our first-three picks

Old
06-07-2013, 03:18 PM
lamp9post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post

So what happens if Gauthier or Dauphin don't hit 50 goals in 2013-14? Because they will be ~6 months older than Mantha when he did it this season.

Old
06-07-2013, 03:22 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
Perhaps someone who follows the Q could comment more for me, but in the few times I've seen Dauphin, he reminds me a lot of Plekanec. Is that accurate?
Not really, Plekanec is a better skater. Dauphin plays a more gritty game though.

Old
06-07-2013, 03:25 PM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Not really, Plekanec is a better skater. Dauphin plays a more gritty game though.
Thanks. I have only seen him two or three times, but he looked to be like Plekanec in terms of tool box and how he is always near the puck and looking to make a creative play with it.

Closed Thread