Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > QMJHL

Top '97 for 2013 Q draft

Old
06-04-2013, 03:30 PM
Scarecrow Boat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemQ View Post
FYI - players with Agents....dont go NCAA. That card is already out the window. There is not as much risk as you think there is. It's happened more than once. GM's know who is going NCAA, and who is bluffing. MAC was bluffing, Matheson wasnt for example. Hence Mac was drafted, they tried to pursuade him and couldnt so they traded his rights, and Matheson's pick was traded before the draft in order to get something back for him. It's not as much a risk as you make it seem either. Matheson was only picked later in the 3rd round by Shawinigan who had 3 picks in that round. Everyone knew Matheson was bluffing.

And, my pointing to Nicolas Roy was just an example, not in any way shape or form my thought on who is going first or should go first. I could have inserted "joe hockey" in there for argument sakes.

Those are great hockey discussions, and there are many ways to deal with that situation. Each team do what they think is best in their respective situations and locations.

Another example is drafting local players. Lets use bathurst as an example....they took that approach 3-4 years ago. They drafted Steeves, hornbrook and Jones way, way earlier than anyone else would have. Only Steeves panned out, and ask any scout or GM and they will tell you that his becoming a #1 starter in the league was not expected. Now, the scouting staff has apparently been given the instructions to draft local talent on the weekend. I'm of the opinion that you draft the best player available depending on your needs of course. Local didnt work for them a few years ago, they have been not been a particularly good team the past 4-5 years, why go back to something that didnt work? You need all the help you can get!!!
I'm confused how we got to draft local vs. draft BPA and how it applies to what we were talking about

Scarecrow Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 03:59 PM
hab 4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tilander View Post
Did I say anything was wrong with what BC did with Mac? This draft isn't the same, there are 3-5 guys who could be arguably the #1 pick with limited talent difference between the top 3 or 5 guys. There isn't an insane consensus #1-2 with a significant drop off like there was back then.

Why I bring it up is that there's no need to draft a guy who told you he won't report when you can get a player at the same level without the risk of no return.

Someone is sensitive when it comes to Baie-Comeau

I guess I should have finished the thought in the original post lol
Agrees entirely with Adam regarding the difference between this year and 2011. In Noel, CB gets a player who is only a very small notch below either Roys and might actually adapt faster to rural NS than the other two would have. Seems like a great match.

hab 4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 06:24 PM
ClemQ

having said everything i did say, i agree that if they feel Noel is the best player, then that's who you draft.
I dont agree with drafting him, simply because he's the player that will report.

ClemQ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 06:27 PM
ClemQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by chsb View Post
The Titan have a bunch of 5th/6th round pcks they will use on guys like Robichaud and Landry.
They don't need first round picks this season to draft regional talent as NB do not have the best selections around this time.

The local factor will play in case of 3rd/4th liners where they will select local instead of long shots.
This is a marketing decision more or less and the examples you give were simply poor scouting and drafting decisions, not local factor in play.
have your opinion, that's fine - but those picks, especially Hornbrook and Jones were completely dictated by the "local factor".
Unless the head scout at the time and coaches were lying to me, that had everything to do with it. Also factor in that one of those players - his parents had a significant financial investement in the team make your own conclusion.

ClemQ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 07:10 PM
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemQ View Post
not really sensitive to it.....your just not thinking it through )

maybe there isnt much difference in talent, but, lets just say that Nicolas roy is their #1 choice and he tells them he wont report. If you feel he is the best player, why not draft him? You have until August to convince him to report. If it doesnt work, you can trade him. There will always be a team, for example a Rimouski, quebec, Gatineau, etc. that might be willing to pay with a decent player or 2, and a couple of first round picks. There is a always a team that has a couple first round picks or some accumulated picks in future drafts. That's not a wasted pick, and you have actually increased your organizational depth. And who knows...perhaps you will convince him to report. I know for a fact that BC drafted Boudreau last year, with all indications that he would not report. He did not even meet with the team to discuss the possibility. They drafted him, and were able to convince him during the summer. It obviously worked out for both parties.

If your the GM of the team, you can't just throw your arms up if you get players that dont want to report. It's your job to make it work to your advantage.
I agree with this 100%. don't let the kids, their parents, and their agents run the draft and dictate where they go.

teams should draft whomever they think is best. lets the chips fall where they may and work out any beneficial deals afterwards.

Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 09:18 PM
kyle44

Roy will be the top pick:

http://www.capebretonpost.com/Sports...ll%3A-Dumont/1

Last edited by kyle44: 06-04-2013 at 09:51 PM.
kyle44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 09:43 PM
Scarecrow Boat

The link didn't work so I'm going to put my hands on my ears and yell loudly and pretend it doesn't exist

Old
06-04-2013, 09:49 PM
kyle44

Link fixed

kyle44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 09:51 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle44 View Post
The Post took the link down. Maybe they jumped the gun on the story ?
It's still there.

jfb392 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 03:18 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanHPscout View Post
Our scouts in Quebec put together a QMJHL Draft Guide this year for us at HockeyProspect.com

It has Over 100 profiles on players eligible for the QMJHL Draft, and rankings for the first six rounds. All of the profiles are bilingual written in both French and English.

I know these guys put in a ton of work and travel to make this happen, and we've received some very positive reviews thus far.

Here's the link:

http://www.hockeyprospect.com/2013-q...epechage-lhjmq

We will also have a mock draft friday on hockeyprospect.com , things should change with all the trades annonced on saturday morning (as far as 1st round draft order) but mock are always fun and fans love to read them.

The guide is getting some good reviews from people around the league which is always nice to hear.

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 02:21 PM
jfb392

So, Nic Roy will not report to Cape Breton or any Maritime team and will apparently be going back to midget next season..

Old
06-07-2013, 02:34 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
So, Nic Roy will not report to Cape Breton or any Maritime team and will apparently be going back to midget next season..
So Roy says that he will only play for a QC based team..

I knew NCAA was a bluff.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 02:48 PM
Raimu

Patrick King ‏@SNPatrickKing 51m

As per @StephRDSJunior top QMJHL prospect Nicolas Roy's dad said his son will step on stage and don the CBSE jersey but won't play for them.

Thats a confusing move...

Raimu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 02:54 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
So Roy says that he will only play for a QC based team..

I knew NCAA was a bluff.
How?
If he doesn't get traded to a team he likes, he'll just go that route instead.

Old
06-07-2013, 03:04 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
How?
If he doesn't get traded to a team he likes, he'll just go that route instead.
It's not going to go that far...

Kid won't go to a Maratime team.. So he's going to the States to do classes in French ?

Old
06-07-2013, 03:30 PM
all good*

Quote:

Kid won't go to a Maratime team.. So he's going to the States to do classes in French ?
What will happen is he will play for them, or still accept the jersey, go back to midget and hope he is traded before the next season or during the season and go to the Q in January.

all good* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 03:51 PM
jfb392

Quote:

They want him to finish high school in Québec, which he'll apparently do next year.
That means he'd play one more year of Midget, which is done by plenty of players.

Bluffing, to me, is when a player that obviously has no shot at going to NCAA level uses it.
Roy seems like he has a legitimate shot, so it's not a bluff.

Old
06-07-2013, 04:03 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
They want him to finish high school in Québec, which he'll apparently do next year.
That means he'd play one more year of Midget, which is done by plenty of players.

Bluffing, to me, is when a player that obviously has no shot at going to NCAA level uses it.
Roy seems like he has a legitimate shot, so it's not a bluff.
He's either extremely smart or he's actually graduating high school in two years. Do you think he'd actually play in Quebec outside of the QMJHL for 2 more years, graduate high school, and then go to NCAA or USHL? That'll pretty much eliminate any NHL potential he had lol

Creativity brings up an excellent point. NCAA was 100% a bluff if he's simply not willing to go to the Maritimes, going to USA is a worse option if his reason is now he doesn't want to take a distance coarse to learn in french.

Old
06-07-2013, 04:24 PM
proam16

Quote:
He's either extremely smart or he's actually graduating high school in two years. Do you think he'd actually play in Quebec outside of the QMJHL for 2 more years, graduate high school, and then go to NCAA or USHL? That'll pretty much eliminate any NHL potential he had lol

Creativity brings up an excellent point. NCAA was 100% a bluff if he's simply not willing to go to the Maritimes, going to USA is a worse option if his reason is now he doesn't want to take a distance coarse to learn in french.
High school in Quebec is is finished at grade 11. Then the cegep program starts - which can be a 2 year college preparatory program or a 3 year technical program. So if one were to take the 2 year college prep route at cegep - your university program is 3 years as opposed to 4 years. Long story short - he needs one more year of Quebec high school - not 2.

it would/could be a wasted year of development for him to play another year of MD AAA. Not easy leaving home at 16...to play hockey in a strange city. pretty sure the kid speaks no english. most kids from the regions in quebec do not speak any english. just like the maritimers and americans speak no french.

proam16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 04:42 PM
jfb392

Quote:

Well, if he finishes school in Québec after next season, he doesn't need to do any type of distance learning.
He could just head to prep school or the USHL like plenty of other kids to play at a higher level and get any additional credits required to meet NCAA requirements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by proam16 View Post
High school in Quebec is is finished at grade 11. Then the cegep program starts - which can be a 2 year college preparatory program or a 3 year technical program. So if one were to take the 2 year college prep route at cegep - your university program is 3 years as opposed to 4 years. Long story short - he needs one more year of Quebec high school - not 2.

it would/could be a wasted year of development for him to play another year of MD AAA. Not easy leaving home at 16...to play hockey in a strange city. pretty sure the kid speaks no english. most kids from the regions in quebec do not speak any english. just like the maritimers and americans speak no french.
Thanks, I wasn't exactly sure how the school system worked in Québec.

Old
06-07-2013, 10:51 PM
herbst20

Big news, per Mike McMahon of College Hockey News, Cam Askew is in Quebec and will sign with a QMJHL team. Was committed to BU.

herbst20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 10:56 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbst20 View Post
Big news, per Mike McMahon of College Hockey News, Cam Askew is in Quebec and will sign with a QMJHL team. Was committed to BU.
He's going to be a Voltigeur next year.