HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Rangers Prospects Thread (Player Stats in Post #1; Updated 7/3) *Part IV*

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-03-2013, 06:31 PM
  #326
Lindberg Cheese
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: VA
Posts: 674
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
There's a massive difference in their skating ability. McI can hit and get back in position using his speed. He can take the puck and skate up from the blue line to the blue line, and even deep behind the net. His speed skating is as good as many guys half a foot shorter than him. He needs to work on his steps when someone is trying to go around him, but that is a coachable issue, whereas pure skating is not.

Noreau, on the other hand, is relatively immobile. Unlike McI, he can't get out of position and use his speed to get back quickly. He needs to be planted around the net and his hits should come when he lurks quickly behind the net, and never to the side boards.

McI can be a first pair defenseman, as good as Beukeboom, maybe better because he's faster and stronger. Noreau is hoping to become another Eric Cairns, who had a decent 9-year career as a #6/7 defenseman. That would be enough money for Noreau to be set for the rest of his life, but it would mean that he's a very replaceable player for the Rangers. Worse yet, he might become another Rumun Ndur. Either way, don't expect a significant contribution from Noreau.

With MCI, anything short of top-4 would be a disappointment because he has the potential to be an absolutely irreplaceable player for the team.


YES, the Roman Ndur and Rudi Poechek duet > Piscopo/Murphy

Lindberg Cheese is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 08:24 PM
  #327
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,892
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
Good one!

But seriously, yes he partially sucketh, but I gather was still a better investment or upside than some of the other guys we have.

BTW, didn't he get some improvement in some ratings from somewhere w/in the past year?
Yeah, we have some other suck-tastic players (Niemi? Collins?), but that's no reason to give a contract to Ceresnak. Shiniest turd is still a turd.

If it was Ceresnak or either Allen or Hughes, then the right decision was made. I saw two OHL games this year with him and one WJC, and he was just...blah.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline  
Old
06-06-2013, 11:32 AM
  #328
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,772
vCash: 500
US WJC summer cap roster. http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=673103

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
06-06-2013, 11:59 AM
  #329
Kwayry
Take the damn deal
 
Kwayry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Plano
Country: United States
Posts: 2,914
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Good for Nieves and Skjei.

Kwayry is offline  
Old
06-06-2013, 12:10 PM
  #330
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
I like the nickname "Sammy The Bull" for Noreau.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Saying Noreau is "relatively immobile" is simply ignoring the progress he's made, skating wise, since he was drafted. That may have been true during his first season. It is no longer true. He's not the fastest or the best skater, but he is far from "relatively immobile."

And yeah -- Sammy The Bull is the only nickname he should ever be allowed to have.
Horrible idea, not a guy you want to glamorize, plus its a bit lazy.

The Noreau Surgeon. He rearranges your face.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Good depth down the middle, on D and in net. Wingers will have to come through, mainly Matteau(will he be playing in the NHL?), Samuelsson, Barber, Erne, Kerdiles, and Fasching.

Bluenote13 is offline  
Old
06-06-2013, 12:20 PM
  #331
nyranger61494
YNWA
 
nyranger61494's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,891
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Horrible idea, not a guy you want to glamorize, plus its a bit lazy.

The Noreau Surgeon. He rearranges your face.
I like Noreau Surgeon. What about...

Wham Bam Sam Noreau
Wham Bam Thank You Sam Noreau
Slam Noreau
Sam "Plays With Jam" Noreau

Just throwing some off the top of the head out there.

nyranger61494 is offline  
Old
06-06-2013, 04:55 PM
  #332
Punxrocknyc19*
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,233
vCash: 500
http://blueshirtsunited.com/posts/35...x#.UbED3utdXx4 lets hope he can be another Savard for us, but hopefully wont be traded although he has some value and it wouldnt shock me if he was for the right deal.. wish he was a bit bigger and meaner.. i wish NYR had a Lucic or Bergeron type player in the system.. Rangers need to update their grit and size in their prospects. the Rangers have too many small skilled type players like Thomas Bourque, St.Croix, Fasth etc.. most of the NYR forward scoring prospects on the Wolfpack are small.. im really hoping that Andrew Yogan can be our Gregory Campbell in the future.. he does have potential.

Punxrocknyc19* is offline  
Old
06-06-2013, 06:13 PM
  #333
CH2
Registered User
 
CH2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NH
Posts: 1,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Yeah, we have some other suck-tastic players (Niemi? Collins?), but that's no reason to give a contract to Ceresnak. Shiniest turd is still a turd.

If it was Ceresnak or either Allen or Hughes, then the right decision was made. I saw two OHL games this year with him and one WJC, and he was just...blah.
I'm pretty sure it was speculated mid-season that Ceresnak would be returning to Slovakia to play next year. I'll try to pull up the article. If that's the case then he likely wouldn't have wanted to play in the AHL or ECHL.

CH2 is offline  
Old
06-06-2013, 06:31 PM
  #334
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 72,449
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Horrible idea, not a guy you want to glamorize, plus its a bit lazy.
Eh, it's an awesome nickname no matter the scum bag behind it.

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
"Used to be only Twinkies and cockroaches could survive a nuke. I'd add Habs to that. I'm convinced the CH stands for Club du Hypocrisy." - Gee Wally
Bird Law is online now  
Old
06-06-2013, 06:37 PM
  #335
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors
 
Beacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 8,163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH2 View Post
I'm pretty sure it was speculated mid-season that Ceresnak would be returning to Slovakia to play next year. I'll try to pull up the article. If that's the case then he likely wouldn't have wanted to play in the AHL or ECHL.
Why would he play in the lower leagues here instead of going to Slovakia? He won't make the AHL and the ECHL is worse than Slovakia. Plus, he'll live at home, get treated better and make more money.

Beacon is online now  
Old
06-06-2013, 07:42 PM
  #336
GAGLine
Registered User
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
The Noreau Surgeon. He rearranges your face.
Or The Noreaulizer.

We can call the slot the Isle of Doctor Noreau.

GAGLine is online now  
Old
06-07-2013, 11:50 AM
  #337
Drewbackatu*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
http://blueshirtsunited.com/posts/35...x#.UbED3utdXx4 lets hope he can be another Savard for us, but hopefully wont be traded although he has some value and it wouldnt shock me if he was for the right deal.. wish he was a bit bigger and meaner.. i wish NYR had a Lucic or Bergeron type player in the system.. Rangers need to update their grit and size in their prospects. the Rangers have too many small skilled type players like Thomas Bourque, St.Croix, Fasth etc.. most of the NYR forward scoring prospects on the Wolfpack are small.. im really hoping that Andrew Yogan can be our Gregory Campbell in the future.. he does have potential.
Very true statement about our skill players lacking size.

By the way,the Bruins picked Bergeron #45(2nd rd) in 2003 and Lucic #50?(2nd rd in 2006) and we don't have one player even remotely close to either one of them.

Bergeron is the best 2 way player in hockey and is a vastly underated superstar; Lucic is the prototypical power forward.

Also, don't forget they picked Marchand at #73?(3rd rd) also in 2006 and we have nobody like him either. Nearly every player on the Bruins has size and all of them play with a chip of their shoulders!

Drewbackatu* is offline  
Old
06-07-2013, 11:59 AM
  #338
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Or The Noreaulizer.

We can call the slot the Isle of Doctor Noreau.
Excellent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
Nearly every player on the Bruins has size and all of them play with a chip of their shoulders!
Excellent

Bluenote13 is offline  
Old
06-07-2013, 12:09 PM
  #339
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,203
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
Very true statement about our skill players lacking size.

By the way,the Bruins picked Bergeron #45(2nd rd) in 2003 and Lucic #50?(2nd rd in 2006) and we don't have one player even remotely close to either one of them.

Bergeron is the best 2 way player in hockey and is a vastly underated superstar; Lucic is the prototypical power forward.

Also, don't forget they picked Marchand at #73?(3rd rd) also in 2006 and we have nobody like him either. Nearly every player on the Bruins has size and all of them play with a chip of their shoulders!
Stepan?

Sauer was pretty good.

Tyutin was a 2nd rounder.

Hank?

NYR Viper is online now  
Old
06-07-2013, 12:19 PM
  #340
Drewbackatu*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Stepan?

Sauer was pretty good.

Tyutin was a 2nd rounder.

Hank?

Obviously we have had our own really good picks but on the whole, the Bruins have done way better than the Rangers as it relates to the draft, trades, and player development. I stand by my statement that we have nobody on our roster who was drafted that is anywhere near the players Bergeron, Lucic and Marchand are and you can also throw in Krejci(who was also drafted by the "B's") who has been lights out in the last two playoff runs by the Bruins.

At best, our best center(Stepan) would be no better than a 3rd line center on the Bruins! That shouldn't be interpreted as a diss to the Rangers, it's just a fact of life.

Drewbackatu* is offline  
Old
06-07-2013, 12:25 PM
  #341
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
Obviously we have had our own really good picks but on the whole, the Bruins have done way better than the Rangers as it relates to the draft, trades, and player development. I stand by my statement that we have nobody on our roster who was drafted that is anywhere near the players Bergeron, Lucic and Marchand are and you can also throw in Krejci(who was also drafted by the "B's") who has been lights out in the last two playoff runs by the Bruins.

At best, our best center(Stepan) would be no better than a 3rd line center on the Bruins! That shouldn't be interpreted as a diss to the Rangers, it's just a fact of life.
Don't forget Seguin adds to that depth, still only 21.

But remember, those players are not easy to acquire, just ask the rest of the 29 teams. Teams TRY to draft these kind of players all the time, if it were so easy every team could field a Lucic or three Deep at Center like the Bruins.

Bluenote13 is offline  
Old
06-07-2013, 12:31 PM
  #342
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,203
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
Obviously we have had our own really good picks but on the whole, the Bruins have done way better than the Rangers as it relates to the draft, trades, and player development. I stand by my statement that we have nobody on our roster who was drafted that is anywhere near the players Bergeron, Lucic and Marchand are and you can also throw in Krejci(who was also drafted by the "B's") who has been lights out in the last two playoff runs by the Bruins.

At best, our best center(Stepan) would be no better than a 3rd line center on the Bruins! That shouldn't be interpreted as a diss to the Rangers, it's just a fact of life.
It's difficult to gauge because up until about 5-6 years ago, the Rangers system was awful. They were horrible at drafting and horrible at player development. They have come a long way in a short amount of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Don't forget Seguin adds to that depth, still only 21.

But remember, those players are not easy to acquire, just ask the rest of the 29 teams. Teams TRY to draft these kind of players all the time, if it were so easy every team could field a Lucic or three Deep at Center like the Bruins.
Besides Hamilton, who have the Bruins drafted on defense? Sauer, Staal, Tyutin, MDZ.

Chara (UFA), Seidenberg (trade), Ference (UFA?), Boychuk (trade?), Krug (undrafted FA), McQuaid (trade)

The Rangers have concentrated on defense for years, and they have done well. McIlrath and Skjei are in the pipe-line as well.

The Cheraponov tragedy really hurt their track record but it is difficult to gauge how much.

NYR Viper is online now  
Old
06-07-2013, 12:41 PM
  #343
Drewbackatu*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Don't forget Seguin adds to that depth, still only 21.

But remember, those players are not easy to acquire, just ask the rest of the 29 teams. Teams TRY to draft these kind of players all the time, if it were so easy every team could field a Lucic or three Deep at Center like the Bruins.
You're 100% correct. The point I'm trying to articulate is it's not like we haven't had our opportunities to either find gems in the rough thru the draft, or make good free agent signings, make good trades(actually an area where Sather hasn't done too shabbily), it's just that these top tier teams still competing for the cup have much better management and have therefore done a superior job than we have in the past.

I just don't think we will reach the next level until someone else is steering the ship! That's my only point here.

Drewbackatu* is offline  
Old
06-07-2013, 12:45 PM
  #344
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,203
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
You're 100% correct. The point I'm trying to articulate is it's not like we haven't had our opportunities to either find gems in the rough thru the draft, or make good free agent signings, make good trades(actually an area where Sather hasn't done too shabbily), it's just that these top tier teams still competing for the cup have much better management and have therefore done a superior job than we have in the past.

I just don't think we will reach the next level until someone else is steering the ship! That's my only point here.
They have had better developmental systems and scouting staffs for a longer period of time. That is one thing I will commend Sather on, when he got here, it was complete trash. The Rangers are MUCH better than before.

NYR Viper is online now  
Old
06-07-2013, 12:57 PM
  #345
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
It's difficult to gauge because up until about 5-6 years ago, the Rangers system was awful. They were horrible at drafting and horrible at player development. They have come a long way in a short amount of time.



Besides Hamilton, who have the Bruins drafted on defense? Sauer, Staal, Tyutin, MDZ.

Chara (UFA), Seidenberg (trade), Ference (UFA?), Boychuk (trade?), Krug (undrafted FA), McQuaid (trade)

The Rangers have concentrated on defense for years, and they have done well. McIlrath and Skjei are in the pipe-line as well.

The Cheraponov tragedy really hurt their track record but it is difficult to gauge how much.
Cherepanov, Blackburn, Cherneski - we've had our share of bad luck or whatever you want to call those awful outcomes. But a good team can recover from even those devastating results by having some depth when it comes to prospects. We swung for the fences on guys when our cupboard was bare, I've been saying this for a long time now. Who were we to pick all these high risk high reward guys when there were much more skilled players available, and some of those were alot more accomplished than the guy we took? Or we took players based on intangibles or needs(taking 2 goalies in the first round).

It only recently got better when we added a few guys who know a thing or two about today's game, though I still say they stepped out of line with the Mcilrath pick. It was a confluence of the Carcillo/Gaborik fight and the fact a guy like MCI was something Sather couldn't acquire in almost ten years at the helm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
You're 100% correct. The point I'm trying to articulate is it's not like we haven't had our opportunities to either find gems in the rough thru the draft, or make good free agent signings, make good trades(actually an area where Sather hasn't done too shabbily), it's just that these top tier teams still competing for the cup have much better management and have therefore done a superior job than we have in the past.

I just don't think we will reach the next level until someone else is steering the ship! That's my only point here.
Oh I don't think many will argue that

Bluenote13 is offline  
Old
06-07-2013, 01:06 PM
  #346
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,203
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Cherepanov, Blackburn, Cherneski - we've had our share of bad luck or whatever you want to call those awful outcomes. But a good team can recover from even those devastating results by having some depth when it comes to prospects. We swung for the fences on guys when our cupboard was bare, I've been saying this for a long time now. Who were we to pick all these high risk high reward guys when there were much more skilled players available, and some of those were alot more accomplished than the guy we took? Or we took players based on intangibles or needs(taking 2 goalies in the first round).

It only recently got better when we added a few guys who know a thing or two about today's game, though I still say they stepped out of line with the Mcilrath pick. It was a confluence of the Carcillo/Gaborik fight and the fact a guy like MCI was something Sather couldn't acquire in almost ten years at the helm.



Oh I don't think many will argue that
I agree with the old days, I disagree with the McIlrath pick. Looking back, there are quite a few players underwhelming who were picked around him and he has a unique skillset, even if he isn't as 'sexy' a player as Tarasenko.

NYR Viper is online now  
Old
06-07-2013, 01:27 PM
  #347
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I agree with the old days, I disagree with the McIlrath pick. Looking back, there are quite a few players underwhelming who were picked around him and he has a unique skillset, even if he isn't as 'sexy' a player as Tarasenko.
If MCI becomes a beast on the backline that will totally be a 'sexy' pick. Getting value where we pick, that's all that matters. If we get a talent, passing on another talent of a different kind won't hurt.

There are underwhelming selections around the MCI pick but none of those guys are close to being finished, still only 21 yrs old. I keep seeing all these guys playing in the Conf finals who never made a dent until their mid or late 20's. Corey Crawford drafted in 2003, Bryan Bickell in 2004, I wonder how a team stayed with those guys for so long before they made it.

Bluenote13 is offline  
Old
06-07-2013, 02:38 PM
  #348
Drewbackatu*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
They have had better developmental systems and scouting staffs for a longer period of time. That is one thing I will commend Sather on, when he got here, it was complete trash. The Rangers are MUCH better than before.
True but they really had no place to go but up.

Drewbackatu* is offline  
Old
06-07-2013, 02:41 PM
  #349
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,203
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
If MCI becomes a beast on the backline that will totally be a 'sexy' pick. Getting value where we pick, that's all that matters. If we get a talent, passing on another talent of a different kind won't hurt.

There are underwhelming selections around the MCI pick but none of those guys are close to being finished, still only 21 yrs old. I keep seeing all these guys playing in the Conf finals who never made a dent until their mid or late 20's. Corey Crawford drafted in 2003, Bryan Bickell in 2004, I wonder how a team stayed with those guys for so long before they made it.
Agreed. Same with McI


Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
True but they really had no place to go but up.
Will not argue here. Still, improvement is improvement.

NYR Viper is online now  
Old
06-07-2013, 02:43 PM
  #350
Green Blob*
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,257
vCash: 500
So is Skjei going to play college again and get barely any ice again? Or is he leaving and going to juniors?

Green Blob* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:13 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.