HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Hockey players and tinnitus?

Old
06-07-2013, 03:18 PM
Cursed Lemon
Registered Bruiser

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Cursed Lemon Send a message via MSN to Cursed Lemon Send a message via Yahoo to Cursed Lemon
Hockey players and tinnitus?

Has anyone ever done a study on this?

I have a mild case of tinnitus, hardly even noticeable, but I've had it for about as long as I can remember. I know of no particular instance in which my hearing would've been severely tested at a young age, but I do know that when a puck or a stick or the boards makes contact with a helmet, it's LOUD.

I was just curious if tinnitus from helmet impacts is a thing that has ever been shown to occur.

Cursed Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 04:41 PM
teleman

Interesting subject.
As a musician I've suffered from tinnitus for years.
It never even occurred to me that tinnitus might be a concern to hockey players but the sound levels could do some damage.

teleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 05:00 PM
Starbuds
You like muscles?

wut.

Apparently I've been suffering from this my whole life. I thought that it was normal.

Starbuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 06:42 PM
Vikingstad
**** the King

Not sure if it effects hockey players or not, but I'd suggest you put a description of what Tinnitus is for the people who dont know.

Vikingstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 06:45 PM
ZacUSNYR

tinnitus is a symptom of a concussion as well.

ZacUSNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 06:46 PM
maple syrup

I just googled this and apparently I have this too lol.

I always get this high pitched steady tone (like a dog whistle) every once in a while, sometimes when its really quiet I hear it, Dr.Wikipedia says: "Most people with tinnitus have some degree of hearing loss". Wtf no wonder I always say "what?" all the time

maple syrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 06:48 PM
Mason10
Bacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by maple syrup View Post
I just googled this and apparently I have this too lol.

I always get this high pitched steady tone (like a dog whistle) every once in a while, sometimes when its really quiet I hear it, Dr.Wikipedia says: "Most people with tinnitus have some degree of hearing loss". Wtf no wonder I always say "what?" all the time
Holy crap, me too

Mason10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 06:55 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
This is probably more appropriate for The Rink, so I've moved it there.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 10:10 PM
iLandHer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuds View Post
wut.

Apparently I've been suffering from this my whole life. I thought that it was normal.
We're in the same boat.

I know some of my cousins suffer from it as well, we thought it was something to do with our genes...interesting to see what it actually is. It's quite annoying though.

iLandHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 01:15 PM
JR97

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleman View Post
Interesting subject.
As a musician I've suffered from tinnitus for years.
It never even occurred to me that tinnitus might be a concern to hockey players but the sound levels could do some damage.
ditto. so I gather you're telecaster guy? Chickin pickin?

JR97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 01:02 PM
Chip39

Chicking picking ain't all a tele can do now. I have it too.... although its just as likely from mowing the lawn and doing construction without proper protection than rocking out.

Last edited by Chip39: 06-11-2013 at 04:22 PM.
Chip39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 04:51 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I was a drummer and guitarist for many years in gigging bands so I have pretty bad tinnitus, but it hasn't changed since I started playing hockey.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 05:20 PM
JR97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip39 View Post
Chicking picking ain't all a tele can do now. I have it too.... although its just as likely from mowing the lawn and doing construction without proper protection than rocking out.
Oh yeah, but chickin pickin is still bad ass. I find it more difficult than heavier stuff since playing clean and compressed doesn't hide as many fat fingers.

JR97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 11:04 AM
TheSandman

I'm a professional musician and have mild tinnitus too. Thankfully I play more mellow music now as opposed to my teenage rock band days.....Anyway, I've done a lot of reading on tinnitus and hearing damage in general. Not fun stuff.

I'm thinking about wearing some light duty earplugs while I play. The biggest offenders to me are the scoreboard (ungodly loud buzz between periods) and people slamming the bench door shut. And of course occassionally a teammate scream near my ear.

I've thought about trying the silicon plugs you can buy that are made for swimmers. That way you can put in as much as you need to seal off your ears while still being able to hear the sounds of the game. Also, if it's meant to stay in while you're swimming then they should stay in for hockey.

I remember a few years ago at pickup someone asked me if I could go a little easier on the bench door because he has hearing damage. I obliged but didn't think much of it. Now I get it!

TheSandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 11:33 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

The first couple years I had to learn to not lean forward on the bench because guys would scream right into my ear, and when taking draws, wait until the ref blows the whistle, THEN get into the circle, because otherwise he blows right in the ear.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 12:28 PM
jsykes

I have tinnitus, I've been involved with loud music (friends bands and doing sound), I also shoot guns and I've also been a professional photographer shooting car racing for over ten years and involved with motorsports my whole life, so I've been involved with a lot of things that can cause hearing damage.

When shooting racing I wear custom made ear plugs as I'll have them in for hours on end and want the most form fitting and protective plug I can get.

That said, what happens at a hockey game is a small drop in the bucket compared to things every day that can mount up and cause hearing issues over your lifetime.

As a matter of fact, something people dont think of much at all, but driving for a couple hours with your windows down at highway speeds is enough to begin to do hearing damage.

Its generally sustained loud noise that will do damage, the occasional slamming of a door is so brief that it will, generally, not do any long term damage. Unless its gunshot loud (even one or two of those dont generally do permanent damage), a short burst is not too damaging, its the long and sustained exposure that does the damage.

The drive home from the game with the windows down and the radio up will do more damage than the smack of a stick on a helmet or the slamming of a bench door.

Not that its not something to be aware of, but I dont believe its anything to be too concerned with.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 08:19 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

I have mild tinnitus and I have no idea why I have it.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote