HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 10.0

Closed Thread

Old
06-07-2013, 04:27 PM
MarkovtoSubban

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I just don't want Fucale in the 1st.
I prefer for us to stay away from Mantha or Gauthier at 25, but whatever, if they pick them, they better give me some goodies in the 2nd round.
Wouldn't be terribly thrilled to go after a D-man in the 1st not named McCoshen or Mueller (who I doubt falls).

Really though, I am far more excited about the talent in the 2nd round. Picks 34-36 will be the more exciting ones to me. I hope we get a dropper at 25 or just reach for someone like Burakowsky or McCarron.
Me too! I even made a rankings list of players available after 25:

26-Lehkonen
27-Bowey
28-Bailey
29-McCoshen
30-Santini
31-Dauphin
32-DelaRose
33-Burakowsky
34-Petan
35-Buchnevich
36-Compher
37-Nastasiuk
38-Poirier
39-Lodge
40-Hagg
41-Vannelli
42-Baptiste
43-Laplante
44-Comrie
45-Bigras
46-Sanford
47-Desrosiers
48-Dano
49-Duclair
50-Bjorkstrand
51-Pesce
52-Saros
53-Dickinson
54-Diaby
55-Tambellini
56-Hayden
57-Carrier
58- Mironov
59- Heatherington
60- Buckles

Old
06-07-2013, 04:51 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
Thanks. I have only seen him two or three times, but he looked to be like Plekanec in terms of tool box and how he is always near the puck and looking to make a creative play with it.
In those aspects, I would say that is accurate.

Old
06-07-2013, 05:07 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

How would you all feel about this?

25: Rychel
34: Poirier
36: Hagg

I think I'd give that a nice B+. We don't have a major steal slip to us, but I like all three guys, and they all bring something different while filling organizational needs and add size.

Old
06-07-2013, 05:08 PM
Draft

#25 McCarron/Mantha
#34 Bailey/Lehkonen
#36 De La Rose/Dauphin/Poirier
#55 Paquin-Boudreau/Duclair
#71 Subban/Jarry
#85 Desrosier/Diaby

That's how I'm feeling right now. Lots of good info on McCarron from Grant, Bailey seems to be garnering a lot of interest from Habs' brass, Lehkonen has put up huge numbers in the SM-Liiga despite his age/size, Mantha combines the skill and size, DLR looks like he could be a gritty forward with top-6 upside and is a very safe pick, Dauphin has gotten a lot of love around here, Poirier really stepped up his game, Boudreau could surprise, Duclair still has 1st line potential, Subban has elite IQ despite his size, Jarry and Desrosier are tops for goalies, Diaby brings the shutdown D that everyone is looking for.

The players available at our first three picks are going to be awesome, no doubt about it.

Old
06-07-2013, 05:14 PM
WeThreeKings
Retired.

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post

I think I'd give that a nice B+. We don't have a major steal slip to us, but I like all three guys, and they all bring something different while filling organizational needs and add size.
I'd be fine with Rychel at 25. Ecstatic to get Poirier. Madly disappointed to get Hagg. I only consider Hagg if he is on the board for our own 2nd round pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
#25 McCarron/Mantha
#34 Bailey/Lehkonen
#36 De La Rose/Dauphin/Poirier
#55 Paquin-Boudreau/Duclair
#71 Subban/Jarry
#85 Desrosier/Diaby

That's how I'm feeling right now. Lots of good info on McCarron from Grant, Bailey seems to be garnering a lot of interest from Habs' brass, Lehkonen has put up huge numbers in the SM-Liiga despite his age/size, Mantha combines the skill and size, DLR looks like he could be a gritty forward with top-6 upside and is a very safe pick, Dauphin has gotten a lot of love around here, Poirier really stepped up his game, Boudreau could surprise, Duclair still has 1st line potential, Subban has elite IQ despite his size, Jarry and Desrosier are tops for goalies, Diaby brings the shutdown D that everyone is looking for.

The players available at our first three picks are going to be awesome, no doubt about it.
Out of your list, I take:
McCarron 1st
Bailey 2nd
Poirier 2nd
Neither but if I had to... Paquin-Boudreau
Jarry
Neither.. but if I had to.. Diaby.

Old
06-07-2013, 05:17 PM
WeThreeKings
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
You're aware both Carrier and Poirier are as big as Nastasiuk, right?
Yeah, I'm aware. I just wanted one of -those- three in particular.

It's fine wanting Poirier ahead of Nastasiuk. Carrier though? He might have the higher potential but Nastasiuk is gonna be an NHLer who will be important in the play-offs.

Old
06-07-2013, 05:38 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
I'd be fine with Rychel at 25. Ecstatic to get Poirier. Madly disappointed to get Hagg. I only consider Hagg if he is on the board for our own 2nd round pick.
I like Hagg. He's a big boy who can skate, is composed, and plays physically and in both ends. To me he looks like a surefire second pairing guy in the NHL. In the second round, that's a steal.

Old
06-07-2013, 05:41 PM
didjuicythat
yuk

I would be ecstatic with this turn of events:

25: Morrissey
34: Hartman
36: Poirier/Mueller

Probably a tad unrealistic because at least one GM picking late in the 1st will have fallen in love with Ryan Hartman.

Old
06-07-2013, 05:46 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Get me Bowey/Bailey and not draft Fucale in round 1 and I'd be happy with whatever.

Old
06-07-2013, 06:09 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 763
I don't like reading stuff like this on Hagg:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/junio...4-robert-hagg/

The only thing with him is a little bit of his attitude. Sometimes, he plays very aloof. Sometimes, he gives the appearance that he doesn’t care.

Players with those traits get eaten alive by our fans and media.

With that said, with Rockstrom on the scouting staff, I am supremely confident in our Swedish scouting, so if we pick Hagg, I would feel decent about the pick.

Old
06-07-2013, 06:20 PM
WeThreeKings
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
I don't like reading stuff like this on Hagg:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/junio...4-robert-hagg/

The only thing with him is a little bit of his attitude. Sometimes, he plays very aloof. Sometimes, he gives the appearance that he doesn’t care.

Players with those traits get eaten alive by our fans and media.

With that said, with Rockstrom on the scouting staff, I am supremely confident in our Swedish scouting, so if we pick Hagg, I would feel decent about the pick.
That;s what I see about Hagg. He's got all these tools but too many of the times he's just... there.

Old
06-07-2013, 06:24 PM
Habsfan18

I have to agree with WTK. I'm far more excited with the possibilities in the 2nd round with our 3 picks. We MUST keep them.

06-07-2013, 06:39 PM
Runner77

vCash: 68442
Quote:

I was swayed by Woodlief's comment to the effect that he has direct knowledge of teams who will draft Dauphin before the end of the first round.

I also think Poirier will go between 20 and 25.

Old
06-07-2013, 06:40 PM
ChesterNimitz

Quote:
I like Hagg. He's a big boy who can skate, is composed, and plays physically and in both ends. To me he looks like a surefire second pairing guy in the NHL. In the second round, that's a steal.

I really think Hagg would be a pedestrian selection. He doesn't seem to excel in any one aspect of the game. He's only a moderate skater and someone has to teach him how to take a slap shot, In all the clips he 'inside outs' his shot. He's really clumsy in that regard. I know some are really down on him because McDavid beat him badly. In my case, I just don't see any fluidity in his game. He's not a prospect that I have any excitement about.

Old
06-07-2013, 06:40 PM
couris

Poirier and Dauphin are a priority.

Old
06-07-2013, 06:45 PM
Runner77

Quote:
Originally Posted by couris View Post
Poirier and Dauphin are a priority.
We'll be lucky to get one of them.

As Woodlief stated, Poirier would have been in the 10-15 range, had the season been 3 weeks longer. He made huge strides til the end.

Best case scenario, we stay put and get Dauphin at 25. And even then, who knows what some other team drafting just before us, might do (or who from behind, will move up). There are no guarantees. Which is why I prefer to consider a tier of players that might fall to us, creates less expectations and less disappointments.

Old
06-07-2013, 06:47 PM
overlords
youmyboyblou!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post

As Woodlief stated, Poirier would have been in the 10-15 range, had the season been 3 weeks longer. He made huge strides til the end.

Best case scenario, we stay put and get Dauphin at 25. And even then, who knows what some other team drafting just before us, might do (or who from behind, will move up). There are no guarantees. Which is why I prefer to consider a tier of players that might fall to us, creates less expectations and less disappointments.
I'd be really surprised if both dauphin and poirier weren't there at 25.

Old
06-07-2013, 06:58 PM
Runner77

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I'd be really surprised if both dauphin and poirier weren't there at 25.
That's the luck of the draw. RLR has Poirier 20th, if I'm not mistaken. Dauphin is the more likely of the two to be available, if current sources are to be believed.

Old
06-07-2013, 07:02 PM
Rockettrudel

Anyone is excited with zykov? What do you think about this guy and would you like the ch sellect him?

Old
06-07-2013, 07:09 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
That;s what I see about Hagg. He's got all these tools but too many of the times he's just... there.
I don't see how you pass on those tools at 36. You're talking about a D who could play the PK and the PP. A guy who can throw big hits, clear the front of the net, all while putting up good stats. I think he's a #3 or a #4 in the NHL once he fills out and matures. An all around D that any team would love.

Old
06-07-2013, 07:11 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post

There's no way Dauphin is BPA at 25. I just can't see that scenario.

I do really like Poirier though. If he's there at 34 I don't see how we could pass on him. Top 6 forward upside for sure.

Old
06-07-2013, 07:19 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
LEBBRRRAAAWWNNNNN

vCash: 450
Alright, I've thought about it more, here's what I'd like for Montreal to end up with:

McCoshen
Dauphin
One of Poirier or (Marc-Olivier) Roy

A solidly built top-4 d-man who excels defensively while controlling the puck with poise, McCoshen seems like someone who would be great for the transition game.

Dauphin has tenacity with good tools and is has good hockey IQ. Maybe Bergeron-lite? Either way, his style of play should work no matter which forward position he plays.

Poirier and Roy both seem like picks that could really round out the top-six in the future. Poirier is a consensus higher pick, but I've heard really good things about Roy; the latter could be around at 55 as well though.

Old
06-07-2013, 07:20 PM
Runner77

Quote:
There's no way Dauphin is BPA at 25. I just can't see that scenario.
That could only mean good news. There is someone better that will have made it to us.

I like how even if we don't get the guy we think, there is no consolation prize -- the next available guy is just as worthy. And that's not even taking into account whoever might be a faller. Seems like there's always one that most observers feel should have been selected much earlier.

Old
06-07-2013, 07:37 PM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJyellow View Post
which is why I hope we don't trade away any of our 2d rounder to move up... chances are we'll end up with 3 "first round talent" with our top 4 picks if stand pat
I wouldn't mind if they trade pick #55 to get a slightly first pick if they deem it necessary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckyToGally View Post
Very unlikely but what would be your reaction...

25th Gauthier
34th Poirier
36th Dauphin
55th Carrier
Why not add Roy and/or Laplante in the third round while we're at it?

Last edited by Fozz: 06-07-2013 at 07:45 PM.
Old
06-07-2013, 07:49 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
I wouldn't mind if they trade pick #55 to get a slightly first pick if they deem it necessary.

Why not add Roy and/or Laplante in the third round while we're at it?
Yea, I'm down to move 55 and 25 to get into the 15-18 range to nab a Wennberg, Horvat, or Lazar, or even Mantha who I really like.

I love those 2 high seconds Gauthier got us, but I don't see anyone I really like being there at 55.

Closed Thread