HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Maybe it's not what we thought

Old
10-10-2006, 12:28 AM
JonathanHuberdoh
HFBoards Partner

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
Maybe it's not what we thought

We all had hopes for this season. Playoffs. We started with the best season opener ever. Following that however, we play two horrible games (aside from maybe the last 7 minutes of the Leafs game).

This team needs a swift kick in the ***. We're horrible. It's the exact same crap as last year. No defense, barely any offense, and ONCE AGAIN, WE CAN'T WIN ON THE ROAD. The boys need to shape up, and losing Olesz and Nieuwy is not good.

We could be in for a long season.

JonathanHuberdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 12:34 AM
Luongogl*

I agree! I mean Auld was amazing this past game. But the team needs to realize that you cannot win games with 40+ shots on your own net. I think we need to learn how to pass and develope chemistry with each other out there on the ice.

Luongogl* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 12:39 AM
PantherBlood6*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePanthemarsVolta View Post
We all had hopes for this season. Playoffs. We started with the best season opener ever. Following that however, we play two horrible games (aside from maybe the last 7 minutes of the Leafs game).

This team needs a swift kick in the ***. We're horrible. It's the exact same crap as last year. No defense, barely any offense, and ONCE AGAIN, WE CAN'T WIN ON THE ROAD. The boys need to shape up, and losing Olesz and Nieuwy is not good.

We could be in for a long season.
i can't stand reading your posts. one week we're a lock for a stanley cup and the next we're in for a long season.

yes, we have been bad the last two games, but if you didn't know, there are still 79 games remaining. get a grip...

PantherBlood6* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 12:50 AM
Remax

I agree with PantherBlood6, the Panthers are 3 games into the season, and they didn't even play that bad tonight. I was at the game and didn't miss a single second, and the Panthers didn't play that bad at all. If Martin had used the same lines for more than 2 shifts in a row tonight then maybe some chemistry could have been built. Give them a chance, yes they gave up a lot of shots tonight, but 75% of them were bad shots. 3 games into the season people, relax!!

Remax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 01:00 AM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remax View Post
I agree with PantherBlood6, the Panthers are 3 games into the season, and they didn't even play that bad tonight. I was at the game and didn't miss a single second, and the Panthers didn't play that bad at all. If Martin had used the same lines for more than 2 shifts in a row tonight then maybe some chemistry could have been built. Give them a chance, yes they gave up a lot of shots tonight, but 75% of them were bad shots. 3 games into the season people, relax!!
Agreed. Early on we were terrible outplayed. We were also outchanced but we had a lot of sustained pressure in the toronto zone, just a lot less than we should have had. Auld was just so spectacular tonight but our offense needs to find a way to create plays instead of just cycle around and do nothing.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 01:03 AM
catfan927

Send a message via AIM to catfan927
I agree, I am looking for the few bright spots here as in the fact that Auld in only his second start of the year is already proving he is ready to be a stellar NHL goalie. I also like the size we have on this team in Bert, Allen, Jackman, and Mezei. The offense will come in short order of that I am sure. I just don't want the injuries to keep mounting up early again. Last night was eerily similar to last years game in that Olesz and Newsy were both injured on the same night. I just hope that unlike last years neither injury keeps them out for more than a week.

catfan927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 01:09 AM
Remax

Yes, and I don't know where people got the idea that the Panthers were going to just roll over teams this year. I am a Panther fan, but be realistic, the Panthers will be in a fight for a playoff spot this year unless they make some good moves before the all star game, they are not a conference or probably not even a division winning team. I'm not saying that they don't have a chance to win the division or finish top 5 in the conference, I just think that those are pretty high expectations for any team that hasn't made the playoffs in 5 + years, and has gone over such drastic changes in the off season.

Remax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 06:52 AM
HockeySS19

We look slow. In the offensive zone we pass the puck along the boards but we're too slow and the other team clears it out. Or we dump the puck and don't beat the other team to the puck.

HockeySS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 08:41 AM
Panthers Rock
Oh...Yeah ;)

Send a message via AIM to Panthers Rock
These last two games have been bad yes, but let's look at the positives. For one, Auld has been great, last night was an amazing effort and it was like, if not better than what Luongo had done. I'm not saying he can keep that up, but if Auld can play anywhere near that level, than we did the right thing in trading Luongo. Because it gave us another offensive and defensive weapon in Bertuzzi and Allen. Now yes, the defense is still not good enough but it's certainly better than last year, Allen saved a goal from going in last night that clearly would have, great effort. Bertuzzi has 5 points already on the season and gives us an extra dimension we needed. Granted we were only without Peltonen though we don't know what he can offer us yet...losing Olesz and especially Newy hurts, then again Newy getting hurt is nothing new. The team has always had injury problems, few teams don't. Saturday's game was a total team meltdown and Belfour made it worse. Last night, at least we know we can count on Auld and a few defensemen who play well. Jackman took two stupid penalties and right now I don't know that there's a worthy #6 guy, Montador probably did the least stupid things but none of them have impressed. With these two injuries, I assume that Kiwi will play a forward spot and we'll have to recall a forward (can't imagine 8 defensemen playing), and with that let's see if we can't give Semenov a look. Also the top line is not clicking as well as it should, after Stumpel got sent into the boards he hesitated for much of the game. Not enough shots on net, the reason they won on Friday was not just because the Bruins and Thomas weren't all that good, but because we got well over 30 shots on net, giving us some good chances. To be fair, Toronto just did not give us powerplays, and there were a few missed holding calls. I'm far from giving up yet, not going to hit the panic button this early, especially when other teams in our division like Carolina can't even win a single game yet.

Florida Panthers: 2014 NHL Entry Draft Lottery...Winners?
Panthers Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 08:47 AM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remax View Post
Yes, and I don't know where people got the idea that the Panthers were going to just roll over teams this year. I am a Panther fan, but be realistic, the Panthers will be in a fight for a playoff spot this year unless they make some good moves before the all star game, they are not a conference or probably not even a division winning team. I'm not saying that they don't have a chance to win the division or finish top 5 in the conference, I just think that those are pretty high expectations for any team that hasn't made the playoffs in 5 + years, and has gone over such drastic changes in the off season.
i think the expectations were that this team would score a bit more and do a much better job in its own end. that's it. whatever that ended up translating into in the standings is another story. so far, though, they've looked pretty disappointing on both counts. i'm not jumping ship but at the same time, i'm not going to gloss over horrendous performances like we've seen thus far.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 08:48 AM
FlaPanthers7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers Rock View Post
These last two games have been bad yes, but let's look at the positives. For one, Auld has been great, last night was an amazing effort and it was like, if not better than what Luongo had done. I'm not saying he can keep that up, but if Auld can play anywhere near that level, than we did the right thing in trading Luongo. Because it gave us another offensive and defensive weapon in Bertuzzi and Allen. Now yes, the defense is still not good enough but it's certainly better than last year, Allen saved a goal from going in last night that clearly would have, great effort. Bertuzzi has 5 points already on the season and gives us an extra dimension we needed. Granted we were only without Peltonen though we don't know what he can offer us yet...losing Olesz and especially Newy hurts, then again Newy getting hurt is nothing new. The team has always had injury problems, few teams don't. Saturday's game was a total team meltdown and Belfour made it worse. Last night, at least we know we can count on Auld and a few defensemen who play well. Jackman took two stupid penalties and right now I don't know that there's a worthy #6 guy, Montador probably did the least stupid things but none of them have impressed. With these two injuries, I assume that Kiwi will play a forward spot and we'll have to recall a forward (can't imagine 8 defensemen playing), and with that let's see if we can't give Semenov a look. Also the top line is not clicking as well as it should, after Stumpel got sent into the boards he hesitated for much of the game. Not enough shots on net, the reason they won on Friday was not just because the Bruins and Thomas weren't all that good, but because we got well over 30 shots on net, giving us some good chances. To be fair, Toronto just did not give us powerplays, and there were a few missed holding calls. I'm far from giving up yet, not going to hit the panic button this early, especially when other teams in our division like Carolina can't even win a single game yet.
Finally a well thought out post. We're only 3 games into the season and people are already giving up? Sheesh. Even if the Panthers continue their road woes yet are dominant at home it still gives us a very good shot at the playoffs (just like last season if you throw out November).

The top line is not showing the same force as last year right now. Jokinen seems to be creating his own chances but isn't getting much from Roberts and Stumpel. I saw Martin change up the lines which I expected to happen anyways (not just because of injury) to give these guys a different look. We're pretty deep so the injuries shouldn't affect us like early last year. Horton can easily move up to 2nd line RW and you can even move Stumpel to center if Niewy misses time. I'd like to see Jokinen and Bert get more time together and we saw Martin put them together on the PP.

Losing Olesz is a big blow though - I hope he's okay. Either way, this is still a deep team and should be able to hold their own at home. It's only on the road where they have problems and last night was still a game that they could have and should have won.

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 08:55 AM
Panthers Rock
Oh...Yeah ;)

Send a message via AIM to Panthers Rock
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPanthers7 View Post
Finally a well thought out post. We're only 3 games into the season and people are already giving up? Sheesh. Even if the Panthers continue their road woes yet are dominant at home it still gives us a very good shot at the playoffs (just like last season if you throw out November).

The top line is not showing the same force as last year right now. Jokinen seems to be creating his own chances but isn't getting much from Roberts and Stumpel. I saw Martin change up the lines which I expected to happen anyways (not just because of injury) to give these guys a different look. We're pretty deep so the injuries shouldn't affect us like early last year. Horton can easily move up to 2nd line RW and you can even move Stumpel to center if Niewy misses time. I'd like to see Jokinen and Bert get more time together and we saw Martin put them together on the PP.

Losing Olesz is a big blow though - I hope he's okay. Either way, this is still a deep team and should be able to hold their own at home. It's only on the road where they have problems and last night was still a game that they could have and should have won.
Considering the number of PPs Toronto had and the way the forwards played, Auld really saved us that point last night and they owe him, not that everyone was bad, Weiss needed that goal badly. We can certainly move Stumpel back to center, although that means breaking up the top line and Stumpel isn't that great at center, but if we lose both those guys, might as well do it and get Bertuzzi and/or Horton top line minutes. If we lose both, I assume that someone like Stewart or such would be called up, not gonna play 8 defensemen. Least Newy made it 3 games in this year. But nonetheless, with Carolina the way it is right now, we can win that game, plus TB...we always bring it against them.

Panthers Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 09:17 AM
Laus723
Future Now

The sky isn't falling yet.

10-10-2006, 09:19 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Calgary 1-2 2 points
Nashville 0-2 0 points
Carolina 0-2-1 1 points
Ottawa 1-2 2 points

Right now, we are sixth in the conference, so we are a playoff team right now!

In all seriousness guys/gals, its been only three games. If you notice above, we arent as bad as those four teams, record wise, and I doubt that those teams fans arent worried like we are. And those are teams that are "picked" to succeed this season. Lets let the team gel, lets let the team build some chemistry, lets just relax.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 09:42 AM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Why does this feel so familiar. That same feeling i've had each season for so long is creeping back

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 09:44 AM
JonathanHuberdoh
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
Where did I say we wre done for the rest of the season? IN WHAT WAY IS THIS AN ARMAGEDDON POST?!?!

I'm simpling stating my own opinion in that maybe we DON'T have a better team. Three games in or not, we stink. That's the bottom line.

JonathanHuberdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 10:06 AM
FlaPanthers7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePanthemarsVolta View Post
Where did I say we wre done for the rest of the season? IN WHAT WAY IS THIS AN ARMAGEDDON POST?!?!

I'm simpling stating my own opinion in that maybe we DON'T have a better team. Three games in or not, we stink. That's the bottom line.
We do not stink! We're only 3 games in and we had a great game against Boston, an awful game against Atlanta and a mediocre game against Toronto (the last 2 both being our first road games of the year in buildings where we have historically not played well). Toronto was a very tight game that we could have won despite being outshot by a large margin.

Remember this team and the new defensive pairings have still only had 5 total games together. Martin will make adjustments as needed or just let these guys jell through repetition.

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 10:42 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPanthers7 View Post
We do not stink! We're only 3 games in and we had a great game against Boston, an awful game against Atlanta and a mediocre game against Toronto (the last 2 both being our first road games of the year in buildings where we have historically not played well). Toronto was a very tight game that we could have won despite being outshot by a large margin.

Remember this team and the new defensive pairings have still only had 5 total games together. Martin will make adjustments as needed or just let these guys jell through repetition.
Agreed! We don't stink, there's still 79 games to go, and guys are still learning each other. Last season Louie had 2 shutouts in a row and we still missed the playoffs. I'll wait another several weeks before passing a whole lot of judgement, thanks.

My main concern, right now, is that they're still struggling on the road. Hopefully, especially with the Canes struggling, we'll pull out a win on Wednesday.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 11:59 AM
catfan927

Send a message via AIM to catfan927
I meant to add in something about the SOG total from last night. Is that an official league stat or is it just one kept on a game by game basis. The reason being is I was watching the online stats counter and at one point the Toronto shot total went from like 26 to 32 in a 60 second TOI. I was also watching the game on TV (b4 the cable went out) and while there was a battle in front of Auld on the play the only ting I saw hit Aulds pads were a couple of sticks trying to whack at the puck. There was no way any of them were SOG yet the number kept climbing. So I am wondering about the legitimacy of the statistic.

catfan927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 02:21 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Haha, a year on ... exactly the same topic.

Auld was awesome, and i hopefully we now have a reliable #1 (Although 1 game isn't enough to base that on). Our offense has looked pretty ordinary though. The Bruins were pretty bad, and Jokinen hasn't had a great start to the season. Pretty typical that Olesz gets injured. I bet he misses 10 games atleast, we do have some crazy injuries, although atleast we aren't the LA Kings in that department.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote