HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 10.0

Closed Thread

Old
06-07-2013, 07:12 PM
Bourdon101

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post
That's the luck of the draw. RLR has Poirier 20th, if I'm not mistaken. Dauphin is the more likely of the two to be available, if current sources are to be believed.
If projected secound round picks go in the first round, projected first rounders will fall, and that could be fine too.

Old
06-07-2013, 07:24 PM
68*

Hope we draft this 6'7" 241 monster with one of the late picks.

http://www.dropyourgloves.com/Player...x?Player=82672

Old
06-07-2013, 07:27 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
LEBBRRRAAAWWNNNNN

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post

I sure hope he's a stud defensively, cause I don't see any offensive projection right now. 0.07 ppg through 133 junior games? That's horrid at any level, even for a D-man.

Old
06-07-2013, 07:43 PM
overlords
youmyboyblou!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post

Says he's 6'5", though. That's pretty small, these days. Moar bigger.

Old
06-07-2013, 07:49 PM
68*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endersoldier View Post
I sure hope he's a stud defensively, cause I don't see any offensive projection right now. 0.07 ppg through 133 junior games? That's horrid at any level, even for a D-man.
He can fight though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Says he's 6'5", though. That's pretty small, these days. Moar bigger.

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=9483
6'7" here and maybe he has not even finished growing.

Old
06-07-2013, 07:49 PM
HabsSlappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Yea, I'm down to move 55 and 25 to get into the 15-18 range to nab a Wennberg, Horvat, or Lazar, or even Mantha who I really like.

I love those 2 high seconds Gauthier got us, but I don't see anyone I really like being there at 55.
55+25 likely only gets you up to 20 at best.
In 2012 we moved 27+57 to get to 22. There are many similar deals that I am too lazy to look up right now, but we would need to move 34 or 36 to get into the teens. I am not willing to do that unless there is someone amazing there.

Old
06-07-2013, 08:06 PM
Genghis Keon

Is there any reason so many Q prospects are playing midget hockey an extra year?

Mantha, Poirier, and Marc-Olivier Roy are all late birthdays, but all have only played two years in the Q (well, Mantha played 2 games at 16, and Roy played 3). And then Dauphin and Gauthier are both rookies at 17.

It really screws up expectations. Generally there's a pretty standard development curve: you start at 16 and adapt to the league. Then at 17, you are more comfortable and can play your game from the start. At 18, you're in your third go round of the league, and you take that next step.

Knowing this, it's something to keep in mind when comparing late birthdays with younger players in their draft class: sure they're better right now, but they're supposed to be because they're older and often more physically mature, and, more importantly, they have that extra year of development in their CHL league.

With Mantha, Poirier, and Roy, they're late birthdays, but they haven't benefited from a third development year in the league, so they aren't the prototypical late birthday players. Sure, they benefited from an extra year of midget hockey, so were more mature as rookies than the players who entered the league at 16, but they don't have that extra development year in the CHL. They're late birthdays without really being late birthdays. At the same time, though, they've had more time to fill out and only really have one more year of junior development before having to join the pros.

Similarly, Dauphin and Gauthier had to adapt to the league this year, so they aren't the prototypical 17 year old prospects.

It makes it tougher to compare them to their peers who have followed more traditional paths.

Old
06-07-2013, 08:23 PM
Fozz

Quote:
Yea, I'm down to move 55 and 25 to get into the 15-18 range to nab a Wennberg, Horvat, or Lazar, or even Mantha who I really like.

I love those 2 high seconds Gauthier got us, but I don't see anyone I really like being there at 55.
Honestly, giving that package won't get much higher than 20th.

Old
06-07-2013, 08:43 PM
Guilliam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genghis Keon View Post
Is there any reason so many Q prospects are playing midget hockey an extra year?

Mantha, Poirier, and Marc-Olivier Roy are all late birthdays, but all have only played two years in the Q (well, Mantha played 2 games at 16, and Roy played 3). And then Dauphin and Gauthier are both rookies at 17.

It really screws up expectations. Generally there's a pretty standard development curve: you start at 16 and adapt to the league. Then at 17, you are more comfortable and can play your game from the start. At 18, you're in your third go round of the league, and you take that next step.

Knowing this, it's something to keep in mind when comparing late birthdays with younger players in their draft class: sure they're better right now, but they're supposed to be because they're older and often more physically mature, and, more importantly, they have that extra year of development in their CHL league.

With Mantha, Poirier, and Roy, they're late birthdays, but they haven't benefited from a third development year in the league, so they aren't the prototypical late birthday players. Sure, they benefited from an extra year of midget hockey, so were more mature as rookies than the players who entered the league at 16, but they don't have that extra development year in the CHL. They're late birthdays without really being late birthdays. At the same time, though, they've had more time to fill out and only really have one more year of junior development before having to join the pros.

Similarly, Dauphin and Gauthier had to adapt to the league this year, so they aren't the prototypical 17 year old prospects.

It makes it tougher to compare them to their peers who have followed more traditional paths.
I think it might be because they entertain the idea of going the US college route and they probably can't do it once they played in the CHl I think I've heard something along those lines regarding one of these player I think it was Mantha.

I really hope Bergevin can pull another 2nd rounder out of his arse by trading Weber and late pick or something like that. There's just too many players that seem enticing.

The draft will be bitter sweet because we're sure to get some exciting new prospects but at the same time we're bound to see many prospects we like go to other (rival) teams.

Old
L4br3cqu3
U mad ?

vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
Stranger things happened.

Old
niftymove

So many good prospects this year. It's hard to try to project what will be the Habs crop.

Considering what TT said he was looking for this year (Talent first, competiveness,some toughness, more size and some goalies), I would be exctatic if the following players were available when it is the Habs turn to call their pick:

25- Ryan Hartman, RW, 5'11-181
34- Michale McCarron, RW, 6'5-228
36- Émile Poirier, LW, 6'1-183
55- Goalie (one of Comrie or Jarry), (6'1)
71- William Carrier, LW, 6'2-198
86- Jonathan Diaby, LD, 6'5-223
176- Matt Buckles, C/RW, 6'1-205
206- Wiley Sherman, LD, 6'6-206

But so many excellent propects left on the table....

Old
06-07-2013, 08:44 PM
dackelljuneaubulis02

If no one really exciting falls to us in the first I'd be happy to take Dauphin with that pick. Really not too thrilled about a D man at that spot. Don't like the idea of missing out on him. Could be a better chance of Mccarron being there with our early 2nds than Dauphin

25: Dauphin
34: McCaron
36: Poirier
55: Nastasiuk

Old
06-07-2013, 08:45 PM
odishabs

Ive thought it over more times than I would like. I've realized these are the players I would target.

1st - Lazar, Gauthier, McCarron, Santini, Mueller, McCoshen
2nd - Klimchuk, Poirier, Bailey, Bowey
2nd - (whoever slips from above) De La Rose
2nd - Fasching, Hayden, Hill

Old
06-07-2013, 08:45 PM
Gaston Gingras

Quote:
I wouldn't mind if they trade pick #55 to get a slightly first pick if they deem it necessary.

Why not add Roy and/or Laplante in the third round while we're at it?

For me Laplante looks like Steve Begin

Old
06-07-2013, 08:46 PM
Crimson Skorpion
@CrimsonSkorpion

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
#25 McCarron/Mantha
#34 Bailey/Lehkonen
#36 De La Rose/Dauphin/Poirier
#55 Paquin-Boudreau/Duclair
#71 Subban/Jarry
#85 Desrosier/Diaby
McCarron
Bailey
Dauphin
Paquin-Boudreau
Jarry
Diaby

I think if the Habs started off with McCarron and Bailey, back-to-back, followed by Dauphin two picks later, we'd all be pretty excited.

Old
06-07-2013, 08:50 PM
odishabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by niftymove View Post
So many good prospects this year. It's hard to try to project what will be the Habs crop.

Considering what TT said he was looking for this year (Talent first, competiveness,some toughness, more size and some goalies), I would be exctatic if the following players were available when it is the Habs turn to call their pick:

25- Ryan Hartman, RW, 5'11-181
34- Michale McCarron, RW, 6'5-228
36- Émile Poirier, LW, 6'1-183
55- Goalie (one of Comrie or Jarry), (6'1)
71- William Carrier, LW, 6'2-198
86- Jonathan Diaby, LD, 6'5-223
176- Matt Buckles, C/RW, 6'1-205
206- Wiley Sherman, LD, 6'6-206

But so many excellent propects left on the table....
love it! But when did TT say this?

Old
06-07-2013, 08:53 PM
niftymove

After NHL combine, from interviews with TSN, RDS and LaPresse

Old
06-07-2013, 08:55 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
We could throw in Weber or something. Bottom line is I'd be willing to deal 55 to move up for one of the Horvat/Lazar/Mantha/Wennberg tier forwards, but not 34 or 36.

Old
06-07-2013, 08:59 PM
Whitesnake
Mediocre Stability

vCash: 725
My big list....

As always, this is my way of having a top 75 or 100 list. Really tough to determine where everybody will go so I will have a minimum of 10 players for each pick whether it’s my top 5, my out of left field pick or my Honourable mentions. By the way, it’s NEVER about wanting to be right as I know, as it’s not a guess as to who we pick, but who I like. Most people in here are able to have 1 name per pick, well with the way drafts are done, your pick is gone and then you wait till next pick. I like to follow the draft that way. My ND list this year will be rarely used for players I hate…I think I love them all. But mostly based on where I think they should go and the fact that I don’t want to see us selecting them at the spot they are targeted to go. Real ND? Not sure I have any….Though there’s just 1 way I’d be pissed off….if we go with Fucale with our 1st rounder. I will not like it at all. The rest, is fine with me. Though it all depends of who is still there…. I want also to point out that I’m a man of contradiction. Want my team to get bigger and yet you’ll see plenty of smallish players that I just can’t ignore in an exercise like this one. Note also that for the sake of having more players fit in my list….I added a out of left field category. Players people don’t talk too much at our spot and yet if they are available, we have to consider them.

Also want to say that I’d take any of the following players before my 1st rounders if they happen to be available or if every team except us forget that the draft was June 30th and arrive 1 day later: Jones, Nichuskin, Drouin, MacKinnon, Barkov, Lindholm, Monahan, Risto, Shinkaruk, Nurse, Horvat, Domi and Lazar.

1st round
Alexander Wennberg: I know…he won’t fall to us…but what if he does? Then he is my #1 pick; Just top 5 pick in pure skills alone.
Samuel Morin (Somehow, you might feel he doesn’t have the overall upside to be picked in the 1st round…but just imagine Tinordi and Morin together, and try to not be excited)
Anthony Mantha (A guy that is seen as lazy still gets 50 goals in a junior league? Can’t wait to see what he does when he grows up….); Great hands, great speed, initiate hits sometimes, will never call this guy a perimeter player as some like to do even if he could/should be more physical. You can’t let a guy like him pass you by.
Robert Hagg: This kid is a future great d-man. Totally underrated d-man that can do it all. Any sane scouting group will most definitely pick him before it’s our turn ‘cause the kid is going to be great.
Valentin Zykov: If he falls…obviously. If I’m a team before the Habs…this guy DON’T fall.

My out of left field pick: Pavel Buchnevich. This could be such a great high risk, high reward pick. Love to see him strong, but this is ALL class talent right there. And late 1st round….that’s what you should aim for. This might be our version of Andrei Kostitsyn…but at 25. Not at 10….much better choice.

Honourable mentions: Morgan Klimchuk. Is that daydreaming to think that this pure goal scorer could still be available based on the fact that he’s not the biggest guy? And Josh Morrissey who is so much more than what people think he is…Adam Erne since some people think he’ll still be there…it is a possibility, but don’t put him in my top 5 as I don’t believe it. Fredrik Gauthier (I have a problem with him. His 2 biggest question marks are indeed his desire to involve himself physically and his offensive awareness. Those 2 are enough to be BIG question marks and almost make him a ND for the 1st round. With that being said, not picking him also would seem to be a huge mistake. As kids can progress, and his overall smarts , size and work ethic are way too big to let him go. Would I cry if we don’t take him? No ‘cause I’ll try to convince myself that his offense and physicality will never improve….but 4 years down the road, we might regret it.)

2nd round 1st pick
William Carrier: Big fan of his, just a natural goal scorer/point-getter, always at the right place, reads the offensive play so well.
Emile Poirier (Didn’t name him in the 1st…take the chance to get him in the 2nd round….huge chance I take as I love the guy very much. As everything needed and TONS of upside to fill to become a really effective 2nd line player in the NHL.
Ian McCoshen (McDonagh part 2. Or is it us who only wants to believe that. Maybe both. But while I haven’t seen him that much, reports does indicate that he would bring something even if we’re suppose to be too deep in D which I don,t agree. If the guy fulfills the upside that some think he has….we don’t have d-men like that. Or we will never have enough of those.
JT Compher: Great skills all over, on the thin side, why he’d probably slide in the 2nd, ‘cause everything else is pure talent and great dedication to the overall game. And Michigan bound…just the perfect player.
Madison Bowey: Just a fun player to watch. You have never enough of those great skaters, good passing d-man. I would believe that potential is there, upside is still a lot to determine.

Out of left field pick: Jimmy Lodge: How come nobody talks about this guy? Okay not the biggest guy, but isn’t afraid of anything and his pure skillset is really impressive offensively. The improvement he had in 1 year has to count for something. Great skater, great hands, honestly, this guy is a sleeper.

Honourable mentions: Tom Vannelli. (Didn’t see him play, but reading everything I can, and I’m more excited about him than a guy like Santini for example. Michael McCarron ( I decide to NOT buy the praise and not have him with our first pick. But wouldn’t take the chance to lose him more than that. I’m still not entirely sure of the offensive upside in the bigs though…Could very well become a Brian Bickell..not that’s it’s bad…we need guys like that. But you would hope that in a draft like that draft….you’d want to see more upside. Maybe he has it.

2nd round 2nd pick
Ryan Hartman (I don’t have him in my first 2 picks as I don’t see an offensive upside. Could turn out into Chris Higgins which in any draft year, he’d be a first rounder…but not for me on this draft.
Tristan Jarry: Steve Mason Part 2 with a better career, or so we hope. Not a lot of viewings, yet a really interesting goalie. And no need to mention how desperate we are in that department.
Dillon Heatherington: I believe that immediately after Tinordi, this kid becomes our most stable defensive d-man prospect of all the guys we have…ahead of Dietz and Ellis)
Laurent Dauphin: A kid that will need to be bigger and tougher, but incredibly slick, elusive and great offensive IQ. Loved him more as the year progressed.
Shea Theodore: Still believe in him despite some negative reports about him Him and Bowey are, IMHO, the biggest possibilities of boom or bust picks. And I will believe they’ll boom…

Out of left field pick: Peter Cehlarik: Actually…this guy shouldn’t be available there. I couldn’t move him up my list and somewhat, if we end up picking him earlier…I’d have no problem with that. This kid has some serious skills. Awesome vision, great scoring abilities. For me, you’ll see him in the NHL in no time. Incredibly young as well….

Honourable mentions: Jacob de La Rose (never was impressed by him on any of his international showings, yet reports are incredibly positive….and I love reports.)

2nd round 3rd pick
Marc-Olivier Roy: Jack of all trades, master of none. Could still be a really interesting prospect if he perfects his art.
Lucas Wallmark; Impressive what he has done this year as one of the youngest in the draft.
Oliver Bjorkstrand: Just what an awesome release and wrister. NHL ready for those 2 traits. He will need to work on his overall game but this is a good bet to take at that pick. If he’s still there of course.
John Hayden: Intriguing prospect that you hope would develop his offensive game…if he ends up doing it, will end up a steal at that spot.
Nick Baptiste (still not sure he will bring it offensively in the bigs. But to me he is as surefire NHL’er with at worst 3rd line duty.);

Out of left field: Adam Tambellini: Bloodlines (starting to think I’m Timmins here….), big body, skates well, fun project to work with.

Honourable mentions: Brett Pesce: What David Fischer could have become…. Connor Hurley: I love young players. (eeeshhh, not sure how that sounds… What I mean is that I do put the emphasis on date of birth in a draft. So safe to say that I love Hurley’s upside and age, being THE youngest player of the draft. Can’t be younger than September 15th 1995. Kid as a lot to be loved, from speed, to intelligent, to slick, to 2-way commitment; Zach Sanford (Only thing that pisses me off with this player is that he’s staying in high school next year…really mediocre level of hockey for him who has nothing to prove in that level. Big kid who only needs to realize what body he has.); Jordan Subban (The Torey Krug effect…small d-man CAN do it…); Zach Nastasiuk. In the end, I preferred Nick Baptiste to him. But good future bottom 6 player; Carl Dahlstrom.

3rd round – 1st pick
Tyler Hill: Never saw him play but surely he looks as interesting as you can find. Incredibly raw so it still leaves you with a lot of hope as well. Could he still be available at that pick? Tyler Hill or Michael McCarron? Or both?
Anton Cederholm: Extremely underrated d-man that reads potential sleeper. As solid defensively as you can get. Will probably leaves sooner than that.
Arturi Lehkonen: If we want to be sure to have a prospect that will do well in his respective league and international tournaments…well this is probably the best bet. Not sure how it will translate in the NHL though….Grow up please.
Sergei Tolchinsky: We need to become bigger, reason why I pick….this kid. No but seriously…can anybody really not love the speed and the skills that this little fellow brings? And there’s no Russian factor here…just “small” factor…
MacKenzie Weegar: I have to be consequent…love the kid for the past 2 years now…and he has improved immensely on both sides.

Out of left field pick: Alex Henriksson (this kid might go sooner don’t you think? Talented player that could be a sleeper in this draft)

Honourable mentions: Marko Dano (small but skilled); Connor Rankin (sleeper); Yan-Pavel Laplante (seen mostly as a future 3rd liner, he did rack the points when he ended up playing…tough injury this year); Taylor Cammerata: The next Johnny Gaudreau. I know much higher than what he’ll really be yet….no 4th or 5th…and I have no room for him in the 6th… Ryan Kujawinski: Unorthodox stride, honestly, this might be a boom or bust pick. Sometimes invisible. Sometimes dominating. You wish he’d be always dominating…Phillipe Desrosiers: Good steady goalie. Here’s the only other goalie I’d take from the Q this year.

3rd round – 2nd pick
Linus Arnesson: Not sure you should go with solely a defensive d-man as soon as this pick but when they are as good defensively…you might consider making an exception.
Michael Downing: Saw upside when I saw him twice this year. As quite some tools as far as becoming a tough #4 in a NHL squad.
Andrew Copp: Sorry, too biased to not put him out there. Michigan product, awesome season last year.
Gabryel Paquin-Boudreau: Another sleeper for me. Brings the numbers he needs to bring and can play any game.
Kurt Etchegary: People know my love for him….I think he has a good ceiling. Will not be a top 6 player in the NHL for sure, but I wouldn’t be that he wouldn’t be an NHL’er. Would look good in a bottom 6 role.

Out of left field pick: Antoine Bibeau: The only guy I would consider drafting as far as local goalie from the Q. Did what he could with the team he had. Will need to work on his rebound control. But everything else reads some potential there.

Honourable mentions: Spencer Martin…we do need goaltending at some point…; Greg Chase; Teemu Kivihalme; Hudson Fasching: Not sure I see top 6 in that player….but a really effective bottom 6 for sure; Anthony Florentino: Will not be available at that point but just in case he is….Solid tough defender; Miro Aaltonen; Bogdan Yakimov: Can this be our this year’s version of Daniel Pribyl? Big guy, needs to improve skating, yet knack for the net? Like this big kid.

6th round
Austin Cangelosi: Can NHL teams still ignore this guy? Yeah he’s small, don’t care with that amount of pure talent. Anyway, he won’t be ignore anymore, and he won’t be there at 6.
Fredrik Bergvik: Need a goalie…(Hogberg will not be available there)
Jeremy Grégoire: Took quite some time to develop this year, and I think he made the necessary adjustments towards the end of the year to be at least mentioned here. A typical 4th or 5th rounder but…you know the drill…
Joose Antonen: Sleeper or so I believe…
Peter Trainor: Always scoring or so it seems.

Out of left field pick: Sven Andrighetto: Kid deserves a shot to say the least…How he’s not in the CSS list makes you wonder…

Honourable mentions: Jaedon Descheneau…the next Gallagher?; Tyler Motte; Eamon McAdam: Need a goalie part 100….Cal Peterson: Need a…okay you got it now… Vincent Dunn: Will he be a faller and if so…how much. Don’t think he’ll be there but, again…not my fault if we don’t have a 4th or a 5th… Vyacheslav Leschenko: Just in case the Russian Factor makes some players fall… Jan Kostalek: Seen him a lot live this year…always loved what I saw. Looked incredibly poise for a guy his age. Won’t blow you away with anything though…just real steady. But shouldn’t be there… Brett Boehm: This year’s Dustin Walsh?; Strange that Patrik Zdrahal didn’t make the CSS list. Good raw potential there. Matt Murphy: Always like the kid despite an up and down season. Still believe that he’s extremely raw and that there’s upside there. I know that he shouldn’t be there but what can I say…we don’t have a 4th nor a 5th…not my fault…blame Drewiske. Parker Reno: Good size…good name…

7th round
Parker Bowles: You just portray him as a guy who will end up making the league no matter the role he’s in. Most likely bottom 6 though…
Chris Clapperton: Will never stop working….even working on the bench…
Jason Salvaggio
Dylan Labbé
Dominik Kubalik

Out of left field pick : Clint Lewis: Defensive d-man that I liked during the WJC.

Honourable mentions: Nolan De Jong; Viktor Arvidsson; Jordan Gross; Félix Girard; Jorgen Karterud: Never saw him play…nice reports about him. Great size, good skater.; Tim McGauley; Rushan Rafikov; Jerome Verrier; Dane Fox

My FULL ND list:

Now, it’s mostly about the fact that I don’t want them based on where they are suppose to go.

• He won’t there….but there’s just no way I’d move up for a guy like Nikita Zadorov. Might be around the first d-men that is drafted but mark my words, there will be much better d-men than him that goes after. No need to move up to get something close much later.
• No to Zack Fucale; No Quebec born goaltending unless you go with a underrated guy. But no need for the pressure to see a Fucale coming in Montreal. Don,t want him even if he’s coming from my place in Rosemere. We’ll see you elsewhere Zach.
Kerby Rychel: Why am I not convince he’d translate well in the bigs? Skating issue? Decision making….speed he needs to think the game through…I won’t panic if we draft him….I’m just not convince enough there won’t be better players. Honestly….I wouldn’t pick him with our first pick…. An excellent garbage man but not sure I want to spend our first pick for him.
Nick Sorensen, okay…of course…if he falls in the 7th round, I’ll pick him. But we all know that he won’t. I don’t want him in the 2nd. And probably won’t want him in the 3rd….so we don’t have a 4th and 5th. But at worst, he goes in the 3rd. Maybe even in the 2nd. Just not interested.
Justin Bailey. Wasn’t impressed every game I saw him play. Though he was really waiting for things to happen. Good complementary player, but I would be wanting more for at least our first 3 picks…maybe even 4 picks. Could still pay off though, so like all my others ND….those are soft ones.
Anthony Duclair: My “bet” would be that he will see his ceiling real soon. Never was a Duclair fan though….a whole lot about the small legs going really really fast…but that’s about it for me.
Ryan Pulock, Jason Dickinson, Nic Petan, Steven Santini…Just before WTK bashes me…I want to say that this is just because, for me, it would be incredibly unsexy for our 1st pick. Doesn’t mean it won’t pay off later, I agree. And after the 1st pick, I’m with that for anybody on that list.
Rinat Valiyev….No need for another Russian scenario especially with what he did to his USHL team…
Nicolas Brouillard….way too many things ahead physically to ever be considered as a potential NHL’er. Note though that I once thought the same for Stéphane Robidas and Jared Spurgeon….That’s how great I am….
Daniel Nikandrov….Just don’t think he has what it takes to move up in the next stages. Mind you…if he’s the in the bottom rounds….you do have to consider him. But type of player that you wonder if he’ll be able to put it together.
J.C. Lipon…clearly not the same type of case than Pearson was last year. At least as far as I’m concerned. It’s more, as overager, the analysis you have as far as where’s the ceiling for those players and have they reached it yet. Tough analysis especially when you don’t have the luxury to see them a lot live….But since we have to have opinions….I’d say that I’m not too enclined to select him.
Avery Peterson….seen great reports of him…and then saw him and just don’t see what others are seeing. Bad skating technique, just not fast in his decisions, in his skating and so on. Such a long long way from the NHL….can’t wait too long…life is short.

Mind you, this year, nobody fits in the category of I DON’T WANT HIM AT ALL, I’LL CRY IF WE PICK HIM….so that’s a SOFT Full ND list…

Sorry guys…awful long post, as it’s always the case…every freakin year. And for some who don't like to not see their favorite prospect....I love them all this year. Wouldn't like to be in Timmins shoes....to say the least.

Last edited by Whitesnake: 06-07-2013 at 09:04 PM.
Old
06-07-2013, 09:21 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
1st round
Alexander Wennberg: I know…he won’t fall to us…but what if he does? Then he is my #1 pick; Just top 5 pick in pure skills alone.
Samuel Morin (Somehow, you might feel he doesn’t have the overall upside to be picked in the 1st round…but just imagine Tinordi and Morin together, and try to not be excited)
Anthony Mantha (A guy that is seen as lazy still gets 50 goals in a junior league? Can’t wait to see what he does when he grows up….); Great hands, great speed, initiate hits sometimes, will never call this guy a perimeter player as some like to do even if he could/should be more physical. You can’t let a guy like him pass you by.
Robert Hagg: This kid is a future great d-man. Totally underrated d-man that can do it all. Any sane scouting group will most definitely pick him before it’s our turn ‘cause the kid is going to be great.
Valentin Zykov: If he falls…obviously. If I’m a team before the Habs…this guy DON’T fall.

My out of left field pick: Pavel Buchnevich. This could be such a great high risk, high reward pick. Love to see him strong, but this is ALL class talent right there. And late 1st round….that’s what you should aim for. This might be our version of Andrei Kostitsyn…but at 25. Not at 10….much better choice.

Honourable mentions: Morgan Klimchuk. Is that daydreaming to think that this pure goal scorer could still be available based on the fact that he’s not the biggest guy? And Josh Morrissey who is so much more than what people think he is…Adam Erne since some people think he’ll still be there…it is a possibility, but don’t put him in my top 5 as I don’t believe it. Fredrik Gauthier (I have a problem with him. His 2 biggest question marks are indeed his desire to involve himself physically and his offensive awareness. Those 2 are enough to be BIG question marks and almost make him a ND for the 1st round. With that being said, not picking him also would seem to be a huge mistake. As kids can progress, and his overall smarts , size and work ethic are way too big to let him go. Would I cry if we don’t take him? No ‘cause I’ll try to convince myself that his offense and physicality will never improve….but 4 years down the road, we might regret it.)
Agree 100% on Wennberg, Mantha, and Hagg. Also on Buchnevic. Morin and Zykov don't excite me due to their skating. Gauthier I'm pretty "Meh" about. I see him as an oversized defensive third line center.Erne I see as much more of a garbage man than Rychel. I really think you've miss judged Kerby's skill level. He has a great shot, great vision, and is just a very good offensive player in every capacity. His skating might be average, but it's comparable to Zykovs IMO, and I like the rest of Rychels game more.

Quote:
2nd round 1st pick
William Carrier: Big fan of his, just a natural goal scorer/point-getter, always at the right place, reads the offensive play so well.
Emile Poirier (Didn’t name him in the 1st…take the chance to get him in the 2nd round….huge chance I take as I love the guy very much. As everything needed and TONS of upside to fill to become a really effective 2nd line player in the NHL.
Ian McCoshen (McDonagh part 2. Or is it us who only wants to believe that. Maybe both. But while I haven’t seen him that much, reports does indicate that he would bring something even if we’re suppose to be too deep in D which I don,t agree. If the guy fulfills the upside that some think he has….we don’t have d-men like that. Or we will never have enough of those.
JT Compher: Great skills all over, on the thin side, why he’d probably slide in the 2nd, ‘cause everything else is pure talent and great dedication to the overall game. And Michigan bound…just the perfect player.
Madison Bowey: Just a fun player to watch. You have never enough of those great skaters, good passing d-man. I would believe that potential is there, upside is still a lot to determine.

Out of left field pick: Jimmy Lodge: How come nobody talks about this guy? Okay not the biggest guy, but isn’t afraid of anything and his pure skillset is really impressive offensively. The improvement he had in 1 year has to count for something. Great skater, great hands, honestly, this guy is a sleeper.

Honourable mentions: Tom Vannelli. (Didn’t see him play, but reading everything I can, and I’m more excited about him than a guy like Santini for example. Michael McCarron ( I decide to NOT buy the praise and not have him with our first pick. But wouldn’t take the chance to lose him more than that. I’m still not entirely sure of the offensive upside in the bigs though…Could very well become a Brian Bickell..not that’s it’s bad…we need guys like that. But you would hope that in a draft like that draft….you’d want to see more upside. Maybe he has it.
Love Poirier. Don't think they'll be there at this pick, but also really like McCoshen and Bowey. Carrier I dislike, just don't see alot of skill there.
Quote:

Honourable mentions: Jacob de La Rose (never was impressed by him on any of his international showings, yet reports are incredibly positive….and I love reports.)
How did he not impress you at the U18s or U20s? he was an eye catcher for me at both tourny's. I really am surprised noone talks about him, I think he's severely underrated, to the point where I almost question myself. Huge, fast, nasty, with tons of skill, great defensively... He looks like a top 10 pick (in a normal draft) to me.

Old
06-07-2013, 09:28 PM
Whitesnake
Mediocre Stability

vCash: 725
Quote:
Erne I see as much more of a garbage man than Rychel. I really think you've miss judged Kerby's skill level. He has a great shot, great vision, and is just a very good offensive player in every capacity. His skating might be average, but it's comparable to Zykovs IMO, and I like the rest of Rychels game more. Love Poirier. Don't think they'll be there at this pick, but also really like McCoshen and Bowey. Carrier I dislike, just don't see alot of skill there.

How did he not impress you at the U18s or U20s? he was an eye catcher for me at both tourny's. I really am surprised noone talks about him, I think he's severely underrated, to the point where I almost question myself. Huge, fast, nasty, with tons of skill. He looks like a top 10 pick (in a normal draft) to me.
Erne has awesome vision, much more complete than people think he is. Carrier is just a favorite of mine. But for you to see no skills is the reason why there's so many reports with so many different views. Carrier is skills, grit and hockey sense.

I guess I wasn't impressed with Rose but that might have been because of my expectations. Thought he'd be all over the scoring sheet on both occasions, surely less in the U20. Didn't thought he showed much offensively despite his good defensive game. But again, he is in my HM. You just can't base yourself one one tournament. It has to be larger than that.

Old
06-07-2013, 09:32 PM
Guilliam

Quote:
How did he not impress you at the U18s or U20s? he was an eye catcher for me at both tourny's. I really am surprised noone talks about him, I think he's severely underrated, to the point where I almost question myself. Huge, fast, nasty, with tons of skill, great defensively... He looks like a top 10 pick (in a normal draft) to me.
Many people seem to think he doesn't have the offensive upside to be a top 6 player in the NHL. Now I haven't seen him enough to form an idea about that, but from what I have seen he seems to be a very safe bet to at least become a good third liner. He's fast, big and physical enough and really seems commited to play a sound defensive game. I'd be very happy with him at #55, ok at #36.

Old
06-07-2013, 09:32 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
As always, this is my way of having a top 75 or 100 list. Really tough to determine where everybody will go so I will have a minimum of 10 players for each pick whether it’s my top 5, my out of left field pick or my Honourable mentions. By the way, it’s NEVER about wanting to be right as I know, as it’s not a guess as to who we pick, but who I like. Most people in here are able to have 1 name per pick, well with the way drafts are done, your pick is gone and then you wait till next pick. I like to follow the draft that way. My ND list this year will be rarely used for players I hate…I think I love them all. But mostly based on where I think they should go and the fact that I don’t want to see us selecting them at the spot they are targeted to go. Real ND? Not sure I have any….Though there’s just 1 way I’d be pissed off….if we go with Fucale with our 1st rounder. I will not like it at all. The rest, is fine with me. Though it all depends of who is still there…. I want also to point out that I’m a man of contradiction. Want my team to get bigger and yet you’ll see plenty of smallish players that I just can’t ignore in an exercise like this one. Note also that for the sake of having more players fit in my list….I added a out of left field category. Players people don’t talk too much at our spot and yet if they are available, we have to consider them.

Also want to say that I’d take any of the following players before my 1st rounders if they happen to be available or if every team except us forget that the draft was June 30th and arrive 1 day later: Jones, Nichuskin, Drouin, MacKinnon, Barkov, Lindholm, Monahan, Risto, Shinkaruk, Nurse, Horvat, Domi and Lazar.

1st round

2nd round 1st pick

2nd round 2nd pick
Ryan Hartman (I don’t have him in my first 2 picks as I don’t see an offensive upside. Could turn out into Chris Higgins which in any draft year, he’d be a first rounder…but not for me on this draft.
Tristan Jarry: Steve Mason Part 2 with a better career, or so we hope. Not a lot of viewings, yet a really interesting goalie. And no need to mention how desperate we are in that department.
Dillon Heatherington: I believe that immediately after Tinordi, this kid becomes our most stable defensive d-man prospect of all the guys we have…ahead of Dietz and Ellis)
Laurent Dauphin: A kid that will need to be bigger and tougher, but incredibly slick, elusive and great offensive IQ. Loved him more as the year progressed.
Shea Theodore: Still believe in him despite some negative reports about him Him and Bowey are, IMHO, the biggest possibilities of boom or bust picks. And I will believe they’ll boom…

Out of left field pick: Peter Cehlarik: Actually…this guy shouldn’t be available there. I couldn’t move him up my list and somewhat, if we end up picking him earlier…I’d have no problem with that. This kid has some serious skills. Awesome vision, great scoring abilities. For me, you’ll see him in the NHL in no time. Incredibly young as well….

2nd round 3rd pick
Marc-Olivier Roy: Jack of all trades, master of none. Could still be a really interesting prospect if he perfects his art.
Lucas Wallmark; Impressive what he has done this year as one of the youngest in the draft.
Oliver Bjorkstrand: Just what an awesome release and wrister. NHL ready for those 2 traits. He will need to work on his overall game but this is a good bet to take at that pick. If he’s still there of course.
John Hayden: Intriguing prospect that you hope would develop his offensive game…if he ends up doing it, will end up a steal at that spot.
Nick Baptiste (still not sure he will bring it offensively in the bigs. But to me he is as surefire NHL’er with at worst 3rd line duty.);

Out of left field: Adam Tambellini: Bloodlines (starting to think I’m Timmins here….), big body, skates well, fun project to work with.

Honourable mentions: Brett Pesce: What David Fischer could have become…. Connor Hurley: I love young players. (eeeshhh, not sure how that sounds… What I mean is that I do put the emphasis on date of birth in a draft. So safe to say that I love Hurley’s upside and age, being THE youngest player of the draft. Can’t be younger than September 15th 1995. Kid as a lot to be loved, from speed, to intelligent, to slick, to 2-way commitment; Zach Sanford (Only thing that pisses me off with this player is that he’s staying in high school next year…really mediocre level of hockey for him who has nothing to prove in that level. Big kid who only needs to realize what body he has.); Jordan Subban (The Torey Krug effect…small d-man CAN do it…); Zach Nastasiuk. In the end, I preferred Nick Baptiste to him. But good future bottom 6 player; Carl Dahlstrom.

3rd round – 1st pick
Tyler Hill: Never saw him play but surely he looks as interesting as you can find. Incredibly raw so it still leaves you with a lot of hope as well. Could he still be available at that pick? Tyler Hill or Michael McCarron? Or both?
Anton Cederholm: Extremely underrated d-man that reads potential sleeper. As solid defensively as you can get. Will probably leaves sooner than that.
Arturi Lehkonen: If we want to be sure to have a prospect that will do well in his respective league and international tournaments…well this is probably the best bet. Not sure how it will translate in the NHL though….Grow up please.
Sergei Tolchinsky: We need to become bigger, reason why I pick….this kid. No but seriously…can anybody really not love the speed and the skills that this little fellow brings? And there’s no Russian factor here…just “small” factor…
MacKenzie Weegar: I have to be consequent…love the kid for the past 2 years now…and he has improved immensely on both sides.

Out of left field pick: Alex Henriksson (this kid might go sooner don’t you think? Talented player that could be a sleeper in this draft)

Honourable mentions: Marko Dano (small but skilled); Connor Rankin (sleeper); Yan-Pavel Laplante (seen mostly as a future 3rd liner, he did rack the points when he ended up playing…tough injury this year); Taylor Cammerata: The next Johnny Gaudreau. I know much higher than what he’ll really be yet….no 4th or 5th…and I have no room for him in the 6th… Ryan Kujawinski: Unorthodox stride, honestly, this might be a boom or bust pick. Sometimes invisible. Sometimes dominating. You wish he’d be always dominating…Phillipe Desrosiers: Good steady goalie. Here’s the only other goalie I’d take from the Q this year.

3rd round – 2nd pick
Linus Arnesson: Not sure you should go with solely a defensive d-man as soon as this pick but when they are as good defensively…you might consider making an exception.
Michael Downing: Saw upside when I saw him twice this year. As quite some tools as far as becoming a tough #4 in a NHL squad.
Andrew Copp: Sorry, too biased to not put him out there. Michigan product, awesome season last year.
Gabryel Paquin-Boudreau: Another sleeper for me. Brings the numbers he needs to bring and can play any game.
Kurt Etchegary: People know my love for him….I think he has a good ceiling. Will not be a top 6 player in the NHL for sure, but I wouldn’t be that he wouldn’t be an NHL’er. Would look good in a bottom 6 role.

Out of left field pick: Antoine Bibeau: The only guy I would consider drafting as far as local goalie from the Q. Did what he could with the team he had. Will need to work on his rebound control. But everything else reads some potential there.

Honourable mentions: Spencer Martin…we do need goaltending at some point…; Greg Chase; Teemu Kivihalme; Hudson Fasching: Not sure I see top 6 in that player….but a really effective bottom 6 for sure; Anthony Florentino: Will not be available at that point but just in case he is….Solid tough defender; Miro Aaltonen; Bogdan Yakimov: Can this be our this year’s version of Daniel Pribyl? Big guy, needs to improve skating, yet knack for the net? Like this big kid.

6th round
Austin Cangelosi: Can NHL teams still ignore this guy? Yeah he’s small, don’t care with that amount of pure talent. Anyway, he won’t be ignore anymore, and he won’t be there at 6.
Jeremy Grégoire: Took quite some time to develop this year, and I think he made the necessary adjustments towards the end of the year to be at least mentioned here. A typical 4th or 5th rounder but…you know the drill…

Out of left field pick: Sven Andrighetto: Kid deserves a shot to say the least…How he’s not in the CSS list makes you wonder…

Honourable mentions: Jaedon Descheneau…the next Gallagher?; Tyler Motte; Eamon McAdam: Need a goalie part 100….Cal Peterson: Need a…okay you got it now… Vincent Dunn: Will he be a faller and if so…how much. Don’t think he’ll be there but, again…not my fault if we don’t have a 4th or a 5th… Vyacheslav Leschenko: Just in case the Russian Factor makes some players fall… Jan Kostalek: Seen him a lot live this year…always loved what I saw. Looked incredibly poise for a guy his age. Won’t blow you away with anything though…just real steady. But shouldn’t be there… Brett Boehm: This year’s Dustin Walsh?; Strange that Patrik Zdrahal didn’t make the CSS list. Good raw potential there. Matt Murphy: Always like the kid despite an up and down season. Still believe that he’s extremely raw and that there’s upside there. I know that he shouldn’t be there but what can I say…we don’t have a 4th nor a 5th…not my fault…blame Drewiske. Parker Reno: Good size…good name…

7th round
Parker Bowles: You just portray him as a guy who will end up making the league no matter the role he’s in. Most likely bottom 6 though…
Jason Salvaggio
Dylan Labbé
Dominik Kubalik

Out of left field pick : Clint Lewis: Defensive d-man that I liked during the WJC.

Honourable mentions: Nolan De Jong; Viktor Arvidsson; Jordan Gross; Félix Girard; Jorgen Karterud: Never saw him play…nice reports about him. Great size, good skater.; Tim McGauley; Rushan Rafikov; Jerome Verrier; Dane Fox

My FULL ND list:

Now, it’s mostly about the fact that I don’t want them based on where they are suppose to go.

• He won’t there….but there’s just no way I’d move up for a guy like Nikita Zadorov. Might be around the first d-men that is drafted but mark my words, there will be much better d-men than him that goes after. No need to move up to get something close much later.
• No to Zack Fucale; No Quebec born goaltending unless you go with a underrated guy. But no need for the pressure to see a Fucale coming in Montreal. Don,t want him even if he’s coming from my place in Rosemere. We’ll see you elsewhere Zach.
Kerby Rychel: Why am I not convince he’d translate well in the bigs? Skating issue? Decision making….speed he needs to think the game through…I won’t panic if we draft him….I’m just not convince enough there won’t be better players. Honestly….I wouldn’t pick him with our first pick…. An excellent garbage man but not sure I want to spend our first pick for him.
Nick Sorensen, okay…of course…if he falls in the 7th round, I’ll pick him. But we all know that he won’t. I don’t want him in the 2nd. And probably won’t want him in the 3rd….so we don’t have a 4th and 5th. But at worst, he goes in the 3rd. Maybe even in the 2nd. Just not interested.
Justin Bailey. Wasn’t impressed every game I saw him play. Though he was really waiting for things to happen. Good complementary player, but I would be wanting more for at least our first 3 picks…maybe even 4 picks. Could still pay off though, so like all my others ND….those are soft ones.
Anthony Duclair: My “bet” would be that he will see his ceiling real soon. Never was a Duclair fan though….a whole lot about the small legs going really really fast…but that’s about it for me.
Ryan Pulock, Jason Dickinson, Nic Petan, Steven Santini…Just before WTK bashes me…I want to say that this is just because, for me, it would be incredibly unsexy for our 1st pick. Doesn’t mean it won’t pay off later, I agree. And after the 1st pick, I’m with that for anybody on that list.
Rinat Valiyev….No need for another Russian scenario especially with what he did to his USHL team…
Nicolas Brouillard….way too many things ahead physically to ever be considered as a potential NHL’er. Note though that I once thought the same for Stéphane Robidas and Jared Spurgeon….That’s how great I am….
Daniel Nikandrov….Just don’t think he has what it takes to move up in the next stages. Mind you…if he’s the in the bottom rounds….you do have to consider him. But type of player that you wonder if he’ll be able to put it together.
J.C. Lipon…clearly not the same type of case than Pearson was last year. At least as far as I’m concerned. It’s more, as overager, the analysis you have as far as where’s the ceiling for those players and have they reached it yet. Tough analysis especially when you don’t have the luxury to see them a lot live….But since we have to have opinions….I’d say that I’m not too enclined to select him.
Avery Peterson….seen great reports of him…and then saw him and just don’t see what others are seeing. Bad skating technique, just not fast in his decisions, in his skating and so on. Such a long long way from the NHL….can’t wait too long…life is short.

Mind you, this year, nobody fits in the category of I DON’T WANT HIM AT ALL, I’LL CRY IF WE PICK HIM….so that’s a SOFT Full ND list…

Sorry guys…awful long post, as it’s always the case…every freakin year. And for some who don't like to not see their favorite prospect....I love them all this year. Wouldn't like to be in Timmins shoes....to say the least.
Stopped here... can't be serious, come on.

Old
06-07-2013, 09:40 PM
Bourdon101

Quote:

1st round

2nd round 1st pick

2nd round 2nd pick

2nd round 3rd pick

3rd round – 1st pick

3rd round – 2nd pick

6th round

7th round
Jason Salvaggio
Dylan Labbé
Dominik Kubalik

My FULL ND list:

Great post and nice analysis! I would say that Pulock at our first is a steal but hey, who knows this is mostly off the rakings I have seen.

Old
06-07-2013, 09:59 PM
lamp9post

Great post Whitesnake!

But can people please not quote the entire thing when commenting? My carpal tunnel syndrome is acting up from all the scrolling.

Closed Thread