II. 2013 National Hockey League Entry Draft

Closed Thread

Old
06-07-2013, 10:52 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 627
Well given the way Detroit handled their prospects, maybe Nill's bringing that same mantra to Dallas....every prospect will be handled with patience.

Granted, it's not like MacKinnon would stay in Halifax at Nill's request, were the Stars to draft him. There are exceptions I'm sure.

06-07-2013, 10:55 PM
BigG44

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Well given the way Detroit handled their prospects, maybe Nill's bringing that same mantra to Dallas....every prospect will be handled with patience.

Granted, it's not like MacKinnon would stay in Halifax at Nill's request, were the Stars to draft him. There are exceptions I'm sure.
I agree he'll be patient overall, but I was surprised to see him already mention he felt there were some NHL ready guys in this draft. He's at least open to bringing in a guy right away it would seem ... obviously if it was the right guy.

Old
06-07-2013, 10:58 PM
FrailSwan
A-B-We Stole Your C

Does anyone else get the feeling that he has something big planned with regards to the draft?

Old
06-07-2013, 11:00 PM
Primetimey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrailSwan View Post
Does anyone else get the feeling that he has something big planned with regards to the draft?
Like trading Benn, Eriksson, and Lehtonen to get 1st overall?

Old
06-07-2013, 11:02 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrailSwan View Post
You mean aggressively trying to move up?

Or are you looking more at like a huge player trade?

I think the recipe is in place for moving up. You have a top quality Finn at the top of the draft you could probably land at the 4th or 5th pick. You also have a team that heavily scouts Europe being added to a new GM who has always been willing to draft Euros. Plus, Dallas' top Euro scout is a Finnish guy heavily dialed into the SM-Liiga.

I don't think he has the assets to make a huge jump into the Top 3, but the more you look at Carolina at 5 ... the more you get the feeling they'll be fine with moving back. Just a guess ... but I think it's for sure a possibility that they'd move back a bit.

Old
06-07-2013, 11:10 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post

I think the recipe is in place for moving up. You have a top quality Finn at the top of the draft you could probably land at the 4th or 5th pick. You also have a team that heavily scouts Europe being added to a new GM who has always been willing to draft Euros. Plus, Dallas' top Euro scout is a Finnish guy heavily dialed into the SM-Liiga.

I don't think he has the assets to make a huge jump into the Top 3, but the more you look at Carolina at 5 ... the more you get the feeling they'll be fine with moving back. Just a guess ... but I think it's for sure a possibility that they'd move back a bit.
Don't the Canes currently have a big need on the blueline as well? It would seem that one of our defensemen is soon to be moved, Would Daley + 10th be enough?

Old
06-07-2013, 11:12 PM
usefulfiction

Quote:

What would you offer Carolina for 5?

Old
06-07-2013, 11:12 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Misty View Post
Don't the Canes currently have a big need on the blueline as well? It would seem that one of our defensemen is soon to be moved, Would Daley + 10th be enough?
Yes I think they need D, but no I don't think Daley would be enough.

Now ... Daley plus 40 ... yeah that might do it, but IDK for sure.

If you look at recent history ... An early 2nd gets you about 2 spots in the Top 10. That means Daley value needs to be about a late 1st. I don't know if it is.

Old
06-07-2013, 11:15 PM
FrailSwan
A-B-We Stole Your C

Would love to possibly move up from 10 AND grab Wennberg. That would be a success draft.

Old
06-07-2013, 11:16 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by usefulfiction View Post
What would you offer Carolina for 5?
I think you'd probably have to be willing to pony up 10 + 29/30 +40.

If Daley/Goligoski/Robidas could replace one of those assets ... that would be ideal.

It costs quite a bit to make that type of move, and I honestly do hate the idea of doing it.

That said, if Nill, Jackson, and Takko are in love with Barkov or Lindhom ... I'm on board. It's hard to not trust that collection of hockey knowledge.

Old
06-07-2013, 11:21 PM
usefulfiction

Quote:
I think you'd probably have to be willing to pony up 10 + 29/30 +40.

If Daley/Goligoski/Robidas could replace one of those assets ... that would be ideal.

It costs quite a bit to make that type of move, and I honestly do hate the idea of doing it.

That said, if Nill, Jackson, and Takko are in love with Barkov or Lindhom ... I'm on board. It's hard to not trust that collection of hockey knowledge.
I would hope Daley would have equal value to 29/30 in the first round.

Old
06-07-2013, 11:30 PM
usefulfiction

Also, do you only make that trade for Barkov or does Lindholm interest you?

Old
06-07-2013, 11:32 PM
BigG44

One positive could be how deep the draft is. I was at work when I saw it, but at some point this week two different GM's ... can't remember who ... mentioned the quality of this draft. That could make the late first/early 2nd even more valuable.

That's what makes trading those picks so difficult. Dallas is in a nice spot moving forward because of how they've done with those type of picks lately. They just have to be very certain that whoever they want up there is truly worth it. Barkov and Lindholm seem to fit the bill moreso than a guy like Monahan (though I wouldn't be too dissappointed if they used the 2nd to ensure they at least end up with him and move up two spots).

They definitely have the assets to replace those picks. Even if Carolina or say Buffalo at 8 don't want a player. Someone would give them a decent pick for those players.

You could walk with 5/8 and still get 2 to 4 picks in the Top 60. That'd be a hell of an off-season. You land the top GM candidate in years, and you pick up a potential franchise center.

Old
06-07-2013, 11:34 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by usefulfiction View Post
Also, do you only make that trade for Barkov or does Lindholm interest you?
Whoever they boys like ... I like. Based on what I've read though, both would be a huge boost to the organization.

Barkov's pros seem to be size and two-way play along with dynamic offensive skills. Lindholm's pro's are a right shot, probably even better two-way play, and solid offensive skills.

Barkov's career to this point impresses me more, but I trust Dallas can see beyond the flashy numbers and pick the right guy if they pay a premium to move up.

Old
06-07-2013, 11:50 PM
FrailSwan
A-B-We Stole Your C

Is Lindholm an Eriksson equivalent/better?

Old
06-08-2013, 11:10 AM
KiedisA

As much as I love the Finnish league, I gotta admit that the level has gone down the entire 2000's and thus if I had to choose between Lindholm or Barkov, I'd go for Lindholm.. He's been around winning team for years and we need someone who, even at 19-20, knows how to win.

Old
06-08-2013, 10:59 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
I agree he'll be patient overall, but I was surprised to see him already mention he felt there were some NHL ready guys in this draft. He's at least open to bringing in a guy right away it would seem ... obviously if it was the right guy.
There's two big things that are being overblown about Nill/Detroit bringing along their prospects slowly.

1) The Red Wings consistently drafted at the end of the 1st round during Nill's time in Detroit. Prospects taken late in the first round are virtually never NHL ready, especially not on good teams. Which brings us to the second point.

2) Detroit has been a consistently solid team. They could attract free agents that fit their specific needs (Rafalski comes to mind but there were loads more). They basically never had a need to hurry prospects. The Wings were winning and competing for Stanley Cups when Zetterberg and Datsyuk were still playing in Europe after they were drafted. They always had the luxury of letting their prospects season well after many other teams would have played them out of need.

There are definitely NHL ready prospects in this draft, and more than just the top 2-3. I expect to see at least 6-7 of these guys playing next year. I wouldn't be surprised to see our guy playing next year IF we make a trade up or someone falls to us at 10.

Old
06-09-2013, 02:32 AM
tjcurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
There's two big things that are being overblown about Nill/Detroit bringing along their prospects slowly.

1) The Red Wings consistently drafted at the end of the 1st round during Nill's time in Detroit. Prospects taken late in the first round are virtually never NHL ready, especially not on good teams. Which brings us to the second point.

2) Detroit has been a consistently solid team. They could attract free agents that fit their specific needs (Rafalski comes to mind but there were loads more). They basically never had a need to hurry prospects. The Wings were winning and competing for Stanley Cups when Zetterberg and Datsyuk were still playing in Europe after they were drafted. They always had the luxury of letting their prospects season well after many other teams would have played them out of need.

There are definitely NHL ready prospects in this draft, and more than just the top 2-3. I expect to see at least 6-7 of these guys playing next year. I wouldn't be surprised to see our guy playing next year IF we make a trade up or someone falls to us at 10.
Agreed.

Whether or not our 1st pick plays next season isn't already predetermined. It'll be based on who that player is and how they feel about him come late summer/early fall.

Last edited by tjcurrie: 06-09-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Old
06-09-2013, 09:18 AM
BigG44

That is definitely a good point glove.

I'd love to see them trade up to get the center we desperately need, but Carolina's love of OHLers makes me think they could take Nurse or Zhardov if they stay at 5, and then there's at least an off chance a guy like Ristolainen who most claim is NHL-ready could fall to Dallas.

Plus, we already do have that info that Ristolainen had a productive dinner meeting with the Stars at the combine. Maybe they do sneak up to 8th with the 40th pick and take him if he's there.

Things start getting very, very interesting if that happens. As big a need center is, IMO right shot D also is a close 2nd. That's why I like Bowey so much later in the 1st, but you might not have a shot at him with the 29-30 pick.

Old
06-09-2013, 09:50 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

If we're moving up it's gotta be for a center. I'd be fairly surprised if Ristolainen is gone at 10 and no other major names fell.

Old
06-09-2013, 12:49 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Some encouraging quotes and scouting profiles on Wennberg in Mark's latest prospect file.

The only thing that would dampen my enthusiasm about a pick like that (if we had to settle) would be his similarity to Faksa in makeup and potential. Then again you never know who's going to work out and who won't so it wouldn't be a terrible thing to have 2 similar centers in the system.

Old
06-09-2013, 01:44 PM
oconnor9sean
Benn & Seguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Some encouraging quotes and scouting profiles on Wennberg in Mark's latest prospect file.

The only thing that would dampen my enthusiasm about a pick like that (if we had to settle) would be his similarity to Faksa in makeup and potential. Then again you never know who's going to work out and who won't so it wouldn't be a terrible thing to have 2 similar centers in the system.
I wouldn't be too upset with drafting Wennberg.

Besides, we could have the biggest Swedish panty dropping line if we did.. Molin/Wennberg/Loui

Old
06-09-2013, 02:08 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post

I think Wennberg will be the best available forward at 10. The defensemen available there might be slightly better prospects than he is so it would be interesting which way they would go.

Old
06-09-2013, 03:05 PM
oconnor9sean
Benn & Seguin

Without any trades at all, a perfect draft for me would be this:

Pick #10

1)One of Monahan/Lindholm/Nichushkin drops
2)Shinkaruk/Wennberg/Domi
3)Draft BPA (most likely a defenseman)

Pick #29 or 30

1) Madison Bowey
2) Gauthier drops

If we can't move up to 5-7, I'd like to take Wennberg with #10 and move up to 22ish to make sure we get Bowey. He looks like he's gonna be a stud.

Old
06-09-2013, 03:24 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by oconnor9sean View Post
Without any trades at all, a perfect draft for me would be this:

Pick #10

1)One of Monahan/Lindholm/Nichushkin drops
2)Shinkaruk/Wennberg/Domi
3)Draft BPA (most likely a defenseman)

Pick #29 or 30

1) Madison Bowey
2) Gauthier drops

If we can't move up to 5-7, I'd like to take Wennberg with #10 and move up to 22ish to make sure we get Bowey. He looks like he's gonna be a stud.
I dont like the idea of trading up to get Bowey. He may very well be around with Bostons pick and if you did trade up there should be plenty of guys available at 22 that have more potential.

Closed Thread