HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

OT: Jean-luc Mongrain funny video

Old
10-09-2006, 05:50 PM
tinyzombies

vCash: 500
People are still working out their identity at that point, etc. I would just say that if you want to live an independent life and not subscribe to the mainstream, you better work hard on whatever path you choose, because the uniform won't help you.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 06:21 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

JLM is the ****ing man !!!!

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 06:36 PM
CaptCrunch

God I'm old.

There are theme nights for the 90's

Everytime I hear about punk I still think about Exploited, the Misfits and Sex Pistol (I guess Green Day doesn't have lyrics like "Mom, can I go out and kill tonight?")

And, finally, quite tragically, I learn about a new style (Emo?) from Jean-Luc Mongrain.

When did these guys stopped being Goth? Weren't they all punk anyways? So, The Cure is now considered "Emo" or are they still just boring now?

Ah... old age...

CaptCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 07:56 PM
ControlFreak

Send a message via MSN to ControlFreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanye West View Post
I am Old School Hip-Hop (and real hip hop)

Naughty by Nature
Pete Rock & CL Smooth
Rob Base
Run DMC

u know

Talib Kweli
Common
Mos Def
The Roots...

but really... am I of any style @ all...i listen to Trance, Electro House...Rock...

why do PPL care about what style they/others are from?

WHY don't u try this style

BE YOURSELF!!

We have the same musical tastes it seems. I agree, people care too much about looks and styles. All these styles are just a way for people to classify themselves and feel like they belong. Inversly, it's alot easier for people to judge someone and make up their mind's about it based upon looks rather than talking to the person. I like rap and hiphop, but I don't walk around with huge chains and baggy pants... if people do, thats cool with me. But who's to say that the guy wearing a thug outfit isn't studying law, or me wearing my khakis and button shirt won't mug you the first chance I get.

Enough with the style already. It does not matter.

ControlFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 08:06 PM
tinyzombies

Absolutely. But at the same time, if it's working for you, it works. I used to get girls just by how I dressed and I didn't complain. It works the other way too. If you put on some nice clothes and ditch the trendy stuff and go classic, the girls love that because most guys in this city dress really poorly. You should be able to get laid no matter what you're wearing, but if you need to put mascara on or some ****, I guess you have to do it. As for hip hop, some of those hip-hop looks are great, but some are ridiculous too. It's kind of the same argument, except the hip hop look makes people think you are a thug and the emo or hipster looks make people think you are gay (and maybe you are). Let's face it, there is a very populous gay community in this city. Most cities are not like that. But I think it's related to the glam rock thing in the 70s where people used to pretend they were androgynous. That was cool back then. I think there are traces of that. I'm not aware of any political statements other than a subtle backlash against postmodernism.

Last edited by tinyzombies: 10-09-2006 at 08:12 PM.
tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 08:43 PM
Ape Clutch

Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves View Post
Absolutely. But at the same time, if it's working for you, it works. I used to get girls just by how I dressed and I didn't complain. It works the other way too. If you put on some nice clothes and ditch the trendy stuff and go classic, the girls love that because most guys in this city dress really poorly. You should be able to get laid no matter what you're wearing, but if you need to put mascara on or some ****, I guess you have to do it. As for hip hop, some of those hip-hop looks are great, but some are ridiculous too. It's kind of the same argument, except the hip hop look makes people think you are a thug and the emo or hipster looks make people think you are gay (and maybe you are). Let's face it, there is a very populous gay community in this city. Most cities are not like that. But I think it's related to the glam rock thing in the 70s where people used to pretend they were androgynous. That was cool back then. I think there are traces of that. I'm not aware of any political statements other than a subtle backlash against postmodernism.
you are right except

the Thug look is more Rap (ie. 50Cent, G-Unit, Dipset, Souther Rap *note that there is no such southern hip-hop getting big* )

The Hip hop look is more like
Common
Kanye (to some extent)
Mos Def
The Roots...

you'll notice that these guys don't really have a specific "style" (except for common)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombThreat View Post
We have the same musical tastes it seems. I agree, people care too much about looks and styles. All these styles are just a way for people to classify themselves and feel like they belong. Inversly, it's alot easier for people to judge someone and make up their mind's about it based upon looks rather than talking to the person. I like rap and hiphop, but I don't walk around with huge chains and baggy pants... if people do, thats cool with me. But who's to say that the guy wearing a thug outfit isn't studying law, or me wearing my khakis and button shirt won't mug you the first chance I get.

Enough with the style already. It does not matter.

Yeah we should talk...u get Game Theory yet? its Siick! and The Shinning

Ape Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2006, 10:28 PM
ControlFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanye West View Post
you are right except

the Thug look is more Rap (ie. 50Cent, G-Unit, Dipset, Souther Rap *note that there is no such southern hip-hop getting big* )

The Hip hop look is more like
Common
Kanye (to some extent)
Mos Def
The Roots...

you'll notice that these guys don't really have a specific "style" (except for common)

Yeah we should talk...u get Game Theory yet? its Siick! and The Shinning
all of the above... great music... but im so stuck on Lupe Fiasco right now it's not even funny. Track 14

and to show some people what real hip hop is about:

The Blast. Talib Kweli:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SH0IjmkDdQ

I Gotcha. Lupe Fiasco:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8Qh3Pv1Jws

All examples of true lyrical rap. Not gangsta, drive by music.

Last edited by ControlFreak: 10-09-2006 at 10:35 PM.
Old
10-10-2006, 07:46 AM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renholder View Post
In highschool, nobody knew where to classify me as. I was sportive, did good in school, acted in plays, listened to metal but dressed casually and never searched for attention by doing anything extravagant with my looks (beside halloween, I killed in halloween). What would they call me then? balanced?

This whole identity crisis in teens thing will never go away. It's up to all of us to be more tolerant though.
HAHAHA. Balanced. I love that!

I rock the "balanced" style.

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 08:10 AM
Kirk Muller*

haha that's a good find

"émo"

Kirk Muller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 09:10 AM
BillRoot

hillarious, especially the "tete d'acier" comment. Sounds like things need to get back to the good old days when cliques remained seperate in school and only got together to beat up nerds!

BillRoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 09:46 AM
The n00b King ©*

see the thing is when you're in high school, that's all you got. that's your world, and i guess people want to find an identity to belong too. But often, you see them trying too hard...it's that whole "i want to be an individual" stuff...like anybody actually cares about your feelings...

The n00b King ©* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 10:49 AM
ControlFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by The n00b King © View Post
see the thing is when you're in high school, that's all you got. that's your world, and i guess people want to find an identity to belong too. But often, you see them trying too hard...it's that whole "i want to be an individual" stuff...like anybody actually cares about your feelings...
what? no one cares about my feelings.... think ill just go shoot myself right now.

Old
10-10-2006, 11:30 AM
flappuck

Go! Go! Emo Rangers!!!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...96465551171954

flappuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 03:19 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
I'll translate this from the moment he goes to the letters. Letter quotes in ""s

JLM: "I am an emo" Ah, nice. "I am often a victim of discrimination, the people at school tell me to go cry and go kill myself." WHAT??!? "It hurts inside." ...Yeah..."They also call me a wuss and a ***, they also make fun of me because I wear girly jeans. I don't go around making fun of their clothes that are too large." Okay, I understand, I understand better. Hey, you've got a right to dress like you do, but say, disguise yourself. Remain an emo but disguise yourself in something else, so people won't bother you.

"I am Rapper" Ah! Rapper! Emo, rapper, I had forgotten rapper....that's those that wear clothes four sizes too large, right? "I am Rapper, but I am not evil unlike what most people think when they hear the word Rapper. I have friends of all styles Emo, Punk, Skate," I had forgotten skate...etcetera... ...that's uh, something else, nah, ok..."and we get along fine, with no problem" Awesome. "Understanding differences is awesome. But of course others will want to make the rules..." Of course.

"I am a skater. We dress with skate branded clothes. We are respected by all. We skaters do not like emos. They are feminine, they are rejects..." Yeah..you better sharpen those skates a bit and think about it because you're not off to a good start there.

"I am an emo and I get bothered at school everyday because of my looks. Sometimes I want to change my style so that I won't be bothered anymore, not to change who I am."

"My style is Metalhead." I don't know that. No that, steel head, head steal...ugh....I listen to Death or Black Metal, but I have emo friends. We gotta be tolerant, those people do not bother us."

"I was a punk in early high school. I was the only one in my class, people called me all kind of names. When you are of a different style, you get rejected."

"I am 13. I think everybody has a right to their own style, but the guys getting piercings, 3-4 in the nose, in the lips, in the eyebrows, using nail paint, it's not for guys."

"I am a Fresh"....Don't know those, they're non-perishable I assume..."style which is usually clean shirts and pants. I see emos and for precision, you gotta say it "He-mo"" Yes of course...the english way, you can't be Emotif, you gotta be Emotive. "That is our problem in Quebec we're losing our language to emos and such." Style, like, kinda, you know.

"I don't have a style in particular" Gotta be a minority. "I don't like people who walk by in the street and label others. I like to wear black clothes..." Hmmm, got some style creeping in... "got dark hair but I am not a Goth or emo. For precision, Gothic is not a style, but a way of seeing things and live." Well, I saw a couple Gothics and they had plenty of style....

Me I'm in the "Fa Durs" (NOTE: Roughly, somebody who looks bad), it's a big, big gang. We've been passed by.

"Me, I am 20 years old and I am a Metalhead..." Hmmm....well I knew the metallos, but not the metalheads....

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 03:28 PM
TheDamned
"Only in Montréal"

Dress like the **** you want, be yourself don't say "oh i'm gonna be this style"... Teens in identity after 16 should be sent to jail. My crisis was during my 12-14yo thats it.

TheDamned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2006, 03:30 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
And for those looking for more JLM, seek youtube for his interview with Doc Mailloux.

Insanity.

Mailloux: "I hate mankind."

Last edited by Phil Parent: 10-10-2006 at 03:40 PM.
Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote