HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

pens offseason

Old
06-07-2013, 10:27 PM
Beaudangles19

vCash: 500
pens offseason

No doubt that the pens will do a lot this offseason, but what will they do?

Beaudangles19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 11:09 PM
Nemeth
Mo Money Mo Problems

vCash: 57
Boston was just a better team, doesn't make the Pens bad. Get a new coach perhaps? I roll my eyes at the countless Pen fans trade proposals that will come within the next few days.

Nemeth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 11:22 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron View Post
Boston was just a better team, doesn't make the Pens bad. Get a new coach perhaps? I roll my eyes at the countless Pen fans trade proposals that will come within the next few days.
For the love of God please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A bunch of us have been calling for Bylsma to go for the last couple years. Hopefully this series was enough to make it happen.

In all seriousness (and I would like the coach gone), they just were not executing. Not the end of the world for 2 games... but when you only really played 2.5 games out of 4 (I'm being generous with the first game), it bites you in the ass - which is what happened this week.

I don't think they need major changes. Vokoun will be back next year. I'm not sure MAF will bounce back in Pittsburgh. Perhaps explore a trade for him?

"Itís not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, itís as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 11:30 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudangles13 View Post
No doubt that the pens will do a lot this offseason, but what will they do?
Fire their coach first and formost

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 11:48 PM
OnTheBrink

vCash: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
Fire their coach first and formost
Agreed, his mis management of Iginla was just another knock against him (even though Iginla didm't have a good series at all). I think their are better options out their for the Pens.

OnTheBrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 12:01 AM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheBrink View Post
Agreed, his mis management of Iginla was just another knock against him (even though Iginla didm't have a good series at all). I think their are better options out their for the Pens.
The team played great (lights out actually) during the regular season even enduring many major injuries. The ENTIRE team looked like crap in this series and you can't fire the entire team. Maybe, just maybe they we out-coached???

The players have proven that they are capable of winning. I think they need a new coach, one who can make better adjustments when you face a team like Boston and start shutting down your top players. Also, it seemed to me that Bylsma DIDN'T coach them much during the games. I remember in game 2 when the Pens were CLEARLY out matched I didn't see their coach once talk to the players and help them "find their game". It was like he just sat back and let them figure it out. Well the players didn't figure it out and that's not their fault, it's often very very tough to see such things when you are in the heat of the moment on the ice. You need someone with eyes above and looking at the big picture and one who when you get taken off your game can get you re-focused. I personally think that was the biggest thing lacking for the Pens in this series.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 12:05 AM
Ezpz
No mad pls

vCash: 50
Quote:
Most of the Pens team are UFA in the next year with no prospects to replace them. They need to start acting to replace Dupuis/Kunitz either immediately or a couple years down the road. Having no first/second doesn't help with that.

Ezpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 12:07 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
I'll join you with most of them...but I don't care how good Boston was, the Penguins scored 2 goals in 4 games...after averaging more than 4 a game in the previous two rounds. The Bruins deserve a metric ton of credit, but when you're talking a historically low stat like that the story is more than just 'they got shut down'.

Heads are going to roll after something like that happens. As for now...the wounds are too fresh to speculate with a level head...but people expecting to land Kris Letang for a #4 defender and a 2nd rounder are going to be extremely disappointed.

Step one is clearly the coach. Even if he didn't deserve it, a sacrificial lamb would have to be present after this sort of series...and Bylsma deserves it. His inability to adjust/control his team has been the death knell to the Penguins in all four full seasons he's been around...the year they won the Cup was the year his system wasn't fully implemented yet.

ďThe most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.Ē - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 01:05 AM
matt1396

I'm expecting some significant changes, 1st with Bylsma. I like him, but he needs to go, he mis handles things a lot, such as the whole Iginla situation, and the way he handled Despres. After that i'm expecting Fleury gone via trade, not buyout like some people believe he will, some non playoff team, that wants to get there *cough* Oilers *cough* will want him, he will get them there, but once they make it to the playoffs, there is no telling how he'll play. After that i'm expecting some improvements to the D, with Niskanen traded along with something else for a solid top 4 dman. Lastly i'm expecting a trade for a goalie, hopefully Miller.

matt1396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 01:11 AM
GreatStateofHockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1396 View Post
I'm expecting some significant changes, 1st with Bylsma. I like him, but he needs to go, he mis handles things a lot, such as the whole Iginla situation, and the way he handled Despres. After that i'm expecting Fleury gone via trade, not buyout like some people believe he will, some non playoff team, that wants to get there *cough* Oilers *cough* will want him, he will get them there, but once they make it to the playoffs, there is no telling how he'll play. After that i'm expecting some improvements to the D, with Niskanen traded along with something else for a solid top 4 dman. Lastly i'm expecting a trade for a goalie, hopefully Miller.
I think a swap with Buffalo would be a realistic scenario. Fleury is younger (though it is only 4 years), but if Pittsburgh added a good prospect , unless someone blows buffalo away that wold be a decent offer. Fleury will bounce back, and be at his top form when the Sabres are looking to be competitive again. It gives the Sabres a great 1A/1B scenario where they can ride the hot goalie, A la Pittsburgh this year in the playoffs.

GreatStateofHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 02:07 AM
N o o d l e s

Bylsma is probably going to be fired.

First and foremost Pittsburgh needs to address their goaltending situation. If they do this even before addressing their coaching situation, no big deal. It is of THAT much importance. I think the Pens would be stupid not to go after Ryan Miller. He can solve so many of their woes at once, and make them a legitimate contender and cover up for some of the defense's mistakes.

They should let some of the young kids come up and play on D and add some grit to their bottom 6. They need players with more heart that are going to sacrifice to win and go into the corners and clear players out to win battles. The Bruins schooled them in this department. Another year of Sutter will help replace Staal.

N o o d l e s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 08:32 AM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezpz View Post
Most of the Pens team are UFA in the next year with no prospects to replace them. They need to start acting to replace Dupuis/Kunitz either immediately or a couple years down the road. Having no first/second doesn't help with that.
I'm pretty sure a lot of teams would kill to have Bennett, Despres, Pouliot, Harrington, Maata in their system. Not to mention guys like Dumoulin, Vitale, Bortuzzo for lesser roles.

Kunitz, Dupuis, & Cooke might only have a couple years left but in the grand scheme of things they are the rotating players compared to the core.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote