HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part LXI - All Talk From Around the League Here

Closed Thread

Old
06-08-2013, 04:32 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeney View Post
I feel bad by liking Lucic/Bergeron/Marchand in this 3rd round, can someone help me and give me a concussion so i forget that?
forget me nows usually do the job

Old
06-08-2013, 06:26 AM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
forget me nows usually do the job
Don't you mean the "G.O.B."?

Both the rangers and pens played awful and have coaches who don't know how to adapt. Bylsma is terrible. Every year I think the pens' cup was less and less due to his good coaching and more just Therrien's pens just playing better.

Both west teams have great coaches so I'm looking forward to julien having fits.

Old
06-08-2013, 06:58 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
Don't you mean the "G.O.B."?

Both the rangers and pens played awful and have coaches who don't know how to adapt. Bylsma is terrible. Every year I think the pens' cup was less and less due to his good coaching and more just Therrien's pens just playing better.

Both west teams have great coaches so I'm looking forward to julien having fits.
well, the Pens team that won a cup WAS shaped by Therrien.

Old
06-08-2013, 07:23 AM
HeShootsHeScores

These playoffs made no sense. Bruins are a good team but they are far from unbeatable. Pens were on their way to win it all, the way they beat the sens. We looked bad against the sens, but we could have beat the bruins or the leafs. Sens could've beat the bruins also.

Pens crapped the bed big time. I wonder what they will be up to in the offseason.

It's all about the match ups I guess. I guess in a 82 games season this would've been the bruins insane stretch to finish the season (and they could've been the team to crap the bed in the POs).

Old
06-08-2013, 07:39 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeShootsHeScores View Post
These playoffs made no sense. Bruins are a good team but they are far from unbeatable. Pens were on their way to win it all, the way they beat the sens. We looked bad against the sens, but we could have beat the bruins or the leafs. Sens could've beat the bruins also.

Pens crapped the bed big time. I wonder what they will be up to in the offseason.

It's all about the match ups I guess. I guess in a 82 games season this would've been the bruins insane stretch to finish the season (and they could've been the team to crap the bed in the POs).
The Sens were one of the worst teams to ever make it to the 2nd round. We were banged up and our strategy to not get one rebound against Anderson was our downfall.

The Pens should have lost to the Islanders, if the Islanders had gotten DECENT goaltending from Nabokov, they would have won.

Old
06-08-2013, 10:13 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Bruins are built for the clutch and grab hockey, Penguins offense couldn't handle it.
Yes, the B's are built for the playoffs...have to give Chia the credit for building a team that Clod coaches too his and their strengths...hard to believe the Leafs had them 4-1 with 10 minutes left in game 7.........

Old
06-08-2013, 10:19 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

As much as I hate the Bruins, I'm still happy the Pens lost. Let this be a lesson for those that still don't understand deadline moves rarely change a thing.
Small moves when your team is packed (like adding a depth winger a la Jagr) could be good, but most of the time it'll change nothing.

Old
06-08-2013, 10:23 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

**** I hate the broon going to the SCF I hope they are swept.

Old
06-08-2013, 10:29 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
The Sens were one of the worst teams to ever make it to the 2nd round. We were banged up and our strategy to not get one rebound against Anderson was our downfall.

The Pens should have lost to the Islanders, if the Islanders had gotten DECENT goaltending from Nabokov, they would have won.
If the Habs were not banged up,
If they had gotten more rebounds,
If the Pens had lost to the Islanders
If the Islanders had got decent goaltending from Nabokov ...

Old
06-08-2013, 10:30 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

"@DarrenDreger Gonchar/Stars have reached agreement on a 2yr deal, believed to be $5 mil per. Pending signed paperwork"

Old
06-08-2013, 10:30 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
As much as I hate the Bruins, I'm still happy the Pens lost. Let this be a lesson for those that still don't understand deadline moves rarely change a thing.
Small moves when your team is packed (like adding a depth winger a la Jagr) could be good, but most of the time it'll change nothing.
The Bruins added Jagr and Redden at the deadline.

Adding Murray, Iginla, and Morow is fine as long as they keep a couple of them.

Old
06-08-2013, 10:33 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

So, Gonchar signs two year $10M in Dallas.

Old
06-08-2013, 10:48 AM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
So, Gonchar signs two year $10M in Dallas.
Wow, that's a lot of money for a guy that isn't getting younger.

Perhaps it's best to keep drafting these puck-moving defencemen, they are valued extremely high around the league.

Old
06-08-2013, 10:57 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Basically. Habs fans don't get tired of the excuses? We simply were not good enough. That's it.

Old
06-08-2013, 10:58 AM
Gustave

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Wow, that's a lot of money for a guy that isn't getting younger.

Perhaps it's best to keep drafting these puck-moving defencemen, they are valued extremely high around the league.
Think of Carle, Green, Wideman, Gonchar, Campbell,etc and the type of money they continuously get from GM's.

Now compare that to the reputation they get here on HF. Fans seem to only be able to nitpick on their defensive lapses while GM's are starving for those types. I'm guilty of it also.

Point: let's shut up about trading Markov and focus on his great contribution to the PP and the break out passes he makes.

Old
06-08-2013, 11:03 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
The Bruins added Jagr and Redden at the deadline.

Adding Murray, Iginla, and Morow is fine as long as they keep a couple of them.
It's not about whether or not it's ''fine''. It's about not making a huge deal out of not going for big rentals at the deadline as it means very little.

If I'm a pens fan, I want to let those guys go and focus on what has hurt us since winning the cup, defense and goaltending.

Old
06-08-2013, 11:04 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Yes, the B's are built for the playoffs...have to give Chia the credit for building a team that Clod coaches too his and their strengths...hard to believe the Leafs had them 4-1 with 10 minutes left in game 7.........
Hey, you doing a CBC analyst impression now. I don't know how many times Hockey Night in Toronto mentioned it last night. PJ Stock was almost spitting he had so much saliva from the excitement of talking about it.

Upset opportunities exist in the first round but Boston has this amazing ability to get stronger as the playoffs go on.

People talk about fighting toughness, or size in terms of pounds and inches, or ruggedness, but I think it's more about a generic "strength" that lets you out battle your opponents over 7 games. I think it keeps you away from injuries too (another Habs problem of the past and present) . All I know is that Boston is getting stronger by comparison to their opponents.

Old
06-08-2013, 11:06 AM
habsfan92

Where are the guys that didn't want Jagr because he is "distraction" and would ruin team chemistry?

Old
06-08-2013, 11:07 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
don't forget the part about the refs screwing us.

Old
06-08-2013, 11:09 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan92 View Post
Where are the guys that didn't want Jagr because he is "distraction" and would ruin team chemistry?
Took the plane to Pittsburgh to go play golf with Iginla, Morrow and Murray?

Not that I had a problem with bringing in Jagr, I wanted him signed last summer. But I'm not a big fan of deadline trades unless they're minor. There's only 1 team that wins the cup and unless you're a serious contender, I just don't see the point to go after rentals.

Old
06-08-2013, 11:11 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
You need a guy better than Leighton? Sure. Just proves you can compete in final without an elite G though.

Chicago isn't built like LA or Boston or Pittsburgh for different reasons. Is Pittsburgh(a recent cup winner) built like LA or Boston? Etc...

They have talent at every position. That's about it. I mean, there's some 'fundamentals'. Sure, they have two-way players and so on and so forth. I mean, that's a given necessity. Still, is Quick like MAF? LA is huge, Chicago is smaller in size. Pittsburgh has way more top end talent than the other 3 too. There's differences for sure.

Look, it's very simple to say "How are they not comparable?" as in they each have depth or quality players. Sure. Their style isn't the same and maybe not even the way they play the game though.

Essentially, why can't Price go on a hot streak too? Why can't Plekanec be our mike Richards comparable? Why can't Pacioretty by our Neal? Why can't Subban be our Doughty or Letang? You know what's missing, top end talent. It has nothing to do with physicality or thoughness. Sure, you need a certain balance but speaking of this series alone guys like Jagr and Crosby will go down as some as the best in history and they aren't physical, intimidating or whatever. They are talented, smart and both happen to have great leg strength and balance.

I just dislike the notion of forcing some kind of formula. Every year same ****. If you want to win you need to have top end talent. Next year, no no, you need to be big and physical. No no you need a young core to grow together. No no you need two-way players.

Yah sure, I'll take any of that. The idea is to make the montreal canadiens better every season. Not to force fit a certain identity. Certainly there's needs and holes and you don't just stockpile one type of player. I won't disagree with that but I don't find boston intimidating at all physically. So they have Chara and Lucic who can fight. Krejci, Marchand, Seguin, Jagr, Bergeron are tough guys now? They aren't. Like who cares. They have players who are good players, that's it. I mean, they are winning with Seguin and Marchand, why can't we win with galchenyuk and Gallagher? Why does our 'culture' need to change according to some people? Play to win, improve the team, that simple.

If people want to make it out to be a science, so be it. There's elements you can improve or study but it would be foolish to suggest one guy's method is THE method. Some teams have gotten cold but been the better team, Pittsburgh beat Boston this year correct? Pittsburgh also dominated the league for a point. Yet, they lost 4 games so their plan is no longer "THE PLAN". It's a load of crap really. Habs need top end talent, that's all. We need better players.

GMs say it all the time, who doesn't want big, fast, talented, intimidating, clutch players? Who doesn't want timely goaltending? Everyone is striving to improve but the market is limited. There's limited resources available and there's multiple ways to win.
Great post LL. I'm finding it hard to disagree.

Old
06-08-2013, 11:18 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Jagr has been terrible. 0 goals despite PP time. Giveaways, broken plays etc. His best play has been a hook that led to a winning goal. Do not ever want.

A rising tide lifts all boats and Jagr is a boat that is being lifted by the likes of Krecji, Lucic, Marchand, and Horton.

Old
06-08-2013, 12:10 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Jagr has been terrible. 0 goals despite PP time. Giveaways, broken plays etc. His best play has been a hook that led to a winning goal. Do not ever want.

A rising tide lifts all boats and Jagr is a boat that is being lifted by the likes of Krecji, Lucic, Marchand, and Horton.
Wise words.

Old
06-08-2013, 12:19 PM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeShootsHeScores View Post
These playoffs made no sense. Bruins are a good team but they are far from unbeatable. Pens were on their way to win it all, the way they beat the sens.
No, I don't think they were on their way to win it all. I think the Pens were a team that was bound to hit a wall. They struggled against the Islanders in the 1st round. They have a lineup with so much talent concentrated on the offensive end of things and not enough on the defensive. How many times have we seen that sort of thing fail in the POs.

Old
06-08-2013, 12:32 PM
optimus2861

Still hate the Bruins. Couldn't stand seeing them lift the Cup two years ago and I hope to all hell they don't do it again this year. That is all.

Closed Thread