HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Talk Part V: Flyers own the 11th overall pick

Closed Thread

Old
06-07-2013, 08:18 PM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 500
I'd say Ristolainen would be your best bet to step in right away. But as someone else pointed out he's probably got another year in Finland/AHL.

Old
06-07-2013, 08:37 PM
PhilaFlyers

What's everyone's opinion on Shinkaruk if he falls to us?

Old
06-07-2013, 08:41 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaFlyers View Post
What's everyone's opinion on Shinkaruk if he falls to us?
I prefer Horvat over him if we were going to go for a forward.

Old
06-07-2013, 08:41 PM
Krishna

That's a "fall"?

That'd be us reaching IMO

Old
06-07-2013, 08:45 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
I would argue that Zad could step as he's physically big enough but everyone of these guys should be going back to juniors.
Zad in the NHL is probably at least two years away. He'll need that time to develop offensively as everyone hopes he will. I'm sure that Coburn's offensive development was impacted by ATL rushing him to the NHL because his defense was deemed NHL ready.

We're probably seeing the same thing from Couturier too, although without the AHL option, Couts was probably doomed to offensive non-progression if he went back and dominated the Q.

Old
06-07-2013, 08:47 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
Pulock skates like Campbell. True? Not true? Help.
I stand by the Suter comparison for Pulock. He skates like Ryan Suter did when he was drafted. Not tremendous, but enough when combined with his other physical skills, savvy and top of the defensive class leadership.

Old
06-07-2013, 09:18 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Zad in the NHL is probably at least two years away. He'll need that time to develop offensively as everyone hopes he will. I'm sure that Coburn's offensive development was impacted by ATL rushing him to the NHL because his defense was deemed NHL ready.

We're probably seeing the same thing from Couturier too, although without the AHL option, Couts was probably doomed to offensive non-progression if he went back and dominated the Q.
My point was that he's physically capable. I concur that he's still about two yrs away.

Old
06-07-2013, 10:01 PM
Prongo
Beer

I'm really liking nurse. I understand some people don't think he will be there at 11 but we never know. Edmonton wants a center, devils want a offensive player, and Dallas needs more centers as well. Hopefully all those teams go for it because I think nurse could be the closest thing we could see to Shea weber at his peak in the NHL when he matures.

Old
06-07-2013, 10:27 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
I'm really liking nurse. I understand some people don't think he will be there at 11 but we never know. Edmonton wants a center, devils want a offensive player, and Dallas needs more centers as well. Hopefully all those teams go for it because I think nurse could be the closest thing we could see to Shea weber at his peak in the NHL when he matures.
He's much more likely to be D. Phaneuf, IMO.

(Not that that's a bad player, but I just see his game as a bit more wild than Weber's.)

Old
06-07-2013, 10:30 PM
hockeyfreak7

I would so love to have two top 20 picks. Nabbing two of Nurse/Ristolainen/Pulock/ZadorovMorrisey/Morin would be beautiful.

Old
06-07-2013, 10:46 PM
PhilaFlyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
That's a "fall"?

That'd be us reaching IMO
I've seen various rankings for Shinkaruk, either way just trying to see what people think.

Old
06-07-2013, 11:08 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
My point was that he's physically capable. I concur that he's still about two yrs away.
Yeah, I think that you understand that, but I see several people drafting players strictly based on today's roster when, in reality, whatever player we draft isn't likely to play on this team.

Risto is probably the closest of the players we are discussing.

Old
06-07-2013, 11:23 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Edmonton needs D big time too. I would argue they are more likely to go D actually considering all there highly touted young forwards. They obviously need a #1C too but they can get by with a lower quality center by just surrounding him with their quality wingers. They really don't have much in terms of defense in the other hand.

Old
06-08-2013, 12:02 AM
Krishna

Isn't rnh a center? Rnh and Gagner as a 1-2 punch isn't that bad really especially with the wingers they have. Their gm said they are looking at centers in the draft as well

Old
06-08-2013, 12:04 AM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Yeah, I think that you understand that, but I see several people drafting players strictly based on today's roster when, in reality, whatever player we draft isn't likely to play on this team.

Risto is probably the closest of the players we are discussing.
Yep. That's why in my opinion picking an offense only d man is a bad idea. If we were staying with that system? Sure

But chances are lavi is gone next year

Old
06-08-2013, 12:08 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Edmonton needs D big time too. I would argue they are more likely to go D actually considering all there highly touted young forwards. They obviously need a #1C too but they can get by with a lower quality center by just surrounding him with their quality wingers. They really don't have much in terms of defense in the other hand.
Edmonton is rumored to be dead set on trading the 7th pick for some immediate help.

Old
06-08-2013, 01:32 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Yep. That's why in my opinion picking an offense only d man is a bad idea. If we were staying with that system? Sure

But chances are lavi is gone next year
I don't think any of the players being discussed are offense only defensemen. When you're talking about the range of guys you can get at 11 overall... you're usually talking about two-way defensemen unless you have that extremely rare one way player who brings so much of one dimension that he's worth it (Schenn... Rielly on opposite ends of the spectrum)

Old
06-08-2013, 01:47 AM
Jtown

Quote:
I think he is going to be a Sabre. If he gets past them then he could fall to us or a team is going to trade up and nab him.

Old
06-08-2013, 08:23 AM
Clown Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Edmonton is rumored to be dead set on trading the 7th pick for some immediate help.
Wonder if they'd consider moving it for one of our defenseman that we can't possibly afford (either Coburn or Mez), and a pick in a later round to balance it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
I think he is going to be a Sabre. If he gets past them then he could fall to us or a team is going to trade up and nab him.
I'd count on the Sabres drafting a center.

Old
06-08-2013, 09:02 AM
Prongo
Beer

Although Edmonton has high end players(offense) playing forward in the NHL, the team has basically no top end prospects on offense in their system. They have klefbom who they all think is their savior on defense as well. They have also been rumored to be looking to move the pick or taking a forward/center with it.

Buffalo might be looking to take a forward as well because they are going to be moving vanek. I saw somewhere that it suggested they where looking for a two way center to hopefully build around for years as well. The idea of nurse falling to us actually have a chance to happen. We already know the flyers like him from interviews with Pryor.

No matter what at 11 we will find a good player, but Nurse would be ideal. He is a complete package

Old
06-08-2013, 09:26 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Although Edmonton has high end players(offense) playing forward in the NHL, the team has basically no top end prospects on offense in their system. They have klefbom who they all think is their savior on defense as well. They have also been rumored to be looking to move the pick or taking a forward/center with it.

Buffalo might be looking to take a forward as well because they are going to be moving vanek. I saw somewhere that it suggested they where looking for a two way center to hopefully build around for years as well. The idea of nurse falling to us actually have a chance to happen. We already know the flyers like him from interviews with Pryor.

No matter what at 11 we will find a good player, but Nurse would be ideal. He is a complete package
New Jersey and Nashville need forwards too.

Depending on where guys like Domi, Shinkaruk and Horvat go, it's conceivable that the Flyers will gave their pick of Nurse, Zadorov, Morin, Morrissey, Ristolainen and Pulock. That will be some pressure on the scouts.

I watched part of the Prospects game the other night. All the top guys looked good. I'll do a more detailed post when I've seen the whole game but a couple observations:

Samuel Morin LOOKS just like Pronger on the ice. Same posture and skating style. A bit eerie. He can move for a guy that size. I know PMD is the rage, but Chara was the best skater on the ice last night. Just saying.

There were a couple other less heralded D who looked really good: Bowey and Subban esp. Both can really skate.

Old
06-08-2013, 09:46 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
New Jersey and Nashville need forwards too.

Depending on where guys like Domi, Shinkaruk and Horvat go, it's conceivable that the Flyers will gave their pick of Nurse, Zadorov, Morin, Morrissey, Ristolainen and Pulock. That will be some pressure on the scouts.

I watched part of the Prospects game the other night. All the top guys looked good. I'll do a more detailed post when I've seen the whole game but a couple observations:

Samuel Morin LOOKS just like Pronger on the ice. Same posture and skating style. A bit eerie. He can move for a guy that size. I know PMD is the rage, but Chara was the best skater on the ice last night. Just saying.

There were a couple other less heralded D who looked really good: Bowey and Subban esp. Both can really skate.
If you get a chance, watch the U18 tournament from this past year (if you can find it online). Morrissey put on a clinic that tournament.

Old
06-08-2013, 11:43 AM
daynus

this 13 draft class

is pretty much the same as 03. their is better quantity and quality for forwards then their is for dmen. having first and second rounders for this draft is gonna help a team, not now but down the road. their will be 42-44 good forwards taken in the first 2 rounds and 16-18 dmen taken in two rounds. and depending upon our rankings, their will be lots of good dmen sitting around at pick 11.

the oilers are not sitting on solid foundation. the 3 number 1s they got are good, but not great, not great enough to turn them into a team that other teams are worried about. and if they are looking for a franchise dman like shea weber, OEL, guys like that, that #7 pick is just a starting point. gonna take lots of adds to get those teams to deal. shattenkirk or yandle are guys in their price range. phoenix is gonna be a difficult team to deal with. they dont need to make any moves at all. and the oilers do need a two way center,size up front, a better d and a goalie. if you think this flyers team has holes to fill, we have a lot less holes than the oilers do.

Old
06-08-2013, 12:24 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daynus View Post
is pretty much the same as 03. their is better quantity and quality for forwards then their is for dmen. having first and second rounders for this draft is gonna help a team, not now but down the road. their will be 42-44 good forwards taken in the first 2 rounds and 16-18 dmen taken in two rounds. and depending upon our rankings, their will be lots of good dmen sitting around at pick 11.

the oilers are not sitting on solid foundation. the 3 number 1s they got are good, but not great, not great enough to turn them into a team that other teams are worried about. and if they are looking for a franchise dman like shea weber, OEL, guys like that, that #7 pick is just a starting point. gonna take lots of adds to get those teams to deal. shattenkirk or yandle are guys in their price range. phoenix is gonna be a difficult team to deal with. they dont need to make any moves at all. and the oilers do need a two way center,size up front, a better d and a goalie. if you think this flyers team has holes to fill, we have a lot less holes than the oilers do.

One of the reasons why I wished the Flyers had another 1st. While we have a decent place for 2nd rounder, this draft has alot of talent in the 1st round (and 2nd). Don't know what teams will be asking for but hoping we can somehow snag another first (obviously not overpaying, but making a "hockey trade"). I doubt we will but looking at teams like Calgary and CLB which have needs in other area. A team like CLB I can see trading one of their firsts due to how "close" they were to making playoffs. They need forwards though. I CAN see a player like Matt Read interesting them. They like to go after the lesser known heralded players, and honestly, it works out for them.

Old
06-08-2013, 02:27 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Baby View Post
Wonder if they'd consider moving it for one of our defenseman that we can't possibly afford (either Coburn or Mez), and a pick in a later round to balance it out.
While I do think Coburn is worth a first rounder later in the round, he's not worth a top 10 pick. You'd be lucky to get anything of value for Mez at this point.

Closed Thread