HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Association Football Thread (New York Red Bulls, USMNT, And All Soccer Discussion)

Old
06-04-2013, 04:29 PM
ThisYearsModel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipAyten View Post
If the Cosmos win promotion back into MLS... I mean get married to the other 19 teams, who else sees themselves as a supporter? They'll be the biggest club in the league after all Cosmos > Galaxy
Me. Missed the Cosmos for all of the years since they folded. Went to some amazing games at Giants Stadium. They were quite a show.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 05:34 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/stor...up-brazil.html

Pure speculation on my behalf, but imagine if NYCFC gets a legend like Pirlo in their inaugural season. That would definitely get me interested in MLS soccer for once.

If you want perfection, just look at this man:

Henry > Pirlo. Case closed.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 05:39 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

City FC is going to be a glorified "B" team European satellite. Take a look at their web site. Anyone who has ethical issues pulling for RBNY should keep that in mind.

Old
06-04-2013, 05:46 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
In terms of marketing? Maybe.

I don't agree, but I admit I am biased. Pirlo is my favorite footballer of all time. He's been on and off for Juventus lately, but he was flat out dominant in 2012. 7th in Ballon d'Or and IMO the best player in the Euros.

In his peak, he carried a very flawed Italian offense and ran them to a WC in 2006.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 05:49 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

If I were to put it in hockey terms, I have Henry pretty much as the Jaromir Jagr of world football. Pirlo is more of an Adam Oates.

I'd pick Jagr over Oates any day. That being said, I'd love to have a player of his caliber in the league in any capacity. But I think what you're likely to see is NYCFC's 3 designated players being shed-offs from the big brother in England. Maybe Carlos Tevez, eventually if they're lucky.

Old
06-04-2013, 06:00 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
If I were to put it in hockey terms, I have Henry pretty much as the Jaromir Jagr of world football. Pirlo is more of an Adam Oates.

I'd pick Jagr over Oates any day. That being said, I'd love to have a player of his caliber in the league in any capacity. But I think what you're likely to see is NYCFC's 3 designated players being shed-offs from the big brother in England. Maybe Carlos Tevez, eventually if they're lucky.
Henry doesn't crack top 100 players today IMO. Pirlo is still top 80 at the very least. 2012 he was top 10.

Old
06-04-2013, 07:35 PM
Lindberg Cheese

Quote:
Case re-opened. Henry couldnt serve as Pirlo's bag handler on his way to relevent competition. Without going into details, Pirlo is still in the mix of a world class national team whereas Henry couldnt make a somewhat weak French squad today.

Lindberg Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 07:38 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindberg Cheese View Post
Case re-opened. Henry couldnt serve as Pirlo's bag handler on his way to relevent competition. Without going into details, Pirlo is still in the mix of a world class national team whereas Henry couldnt make a somewhat weak French squad today.
He could, he chose not to.

Henry was involved in the gigantic world cup scandal in 2010. In coming to the states, he decide his international career was over. It isn't the first time, nor will it be the last that a player decided to leave the international scene while he still had contributions in him.

For the record, I was speaking about career and not just at the moment. Henry came to MLS at age 32. That was just as big a deal, if not bigger than Pirlo coming over at 34. I don't know why a Pirlo move in 2014, when he would be 35, would be the deciding factor when we had Henry come over years before. Nesta was a hell of a defender who came over at 35 and no one gave a rats ass.

And if Pirlo were to come over, he would likely retire from Italy. Travel concerns, ect. It's hard enough for LA and NY losing Keane and Cahill so frequently.

Old
06-04-2013, 09:41 PM
nyrmetros

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 09:42 PM
nyrmetros

Old
06-06-2013, 10:17 AM
Ian
Mike York fan club

Pirlo would be a good choice if they'd pay his wages, not sure if he'd come here though given his long career in Italy. 0% chance Tevez comes here, he'll leave for Argentina in a year or two at most.

I think they'll try to convince Dempsey to come back to the US, or go with someone like Drogba, just for name recognition.

The only player that could make any sense for City to push this way would be Barry, but that would be completely underwhelming for casual fans. They're going to need at least two big international names as the rest of the will be expansion draft fodder.

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 07:21 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

so this is just a shot in the dark, but is there any chance the USMNT is on ESPN2 tonight? My friend said they were, but I think they're just on BeIN Sport. Stupid Optimum doesn't have it yet (obviously).

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 07:37 PM
17futurecap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
so this is just a shot in the dark, but is there any chance the USMNT is on ESPN2 tonight? My friend said they were, but I think they're just on BeIN Sport. Stupid Optimum doesn't have it yet (obviously).
Just BeIn tonight, believe the two home matches coming up are on ESPN.

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 07:50 PM
ecemleafs

is the game on any of the spanish language channels for cablevision?

ecemleafs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 08:00 PM
Kershaw

Balotelli will never learn.

Old
06-07-2013, 08:01 PM
SoftEuro4thLiner

SamsAlaba > Ibrakadabra. Suck it Sweden .

SoftEuro4thLiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 10:26 PM
17futurecap

Crazy last few minutes.

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 11:32 PM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftEuro4thLiner View Post
SamsAlaba > Ibrakadabra. Suck it Sweden .

06-08-2013, 01:24 AM
nyrleetch

Great win for USA tonight.

As far as Red Bulls go. Not going to root for a fanbase shouting USA reject at Landon Donovan. Talk about a joke.

nyrleetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 12:58 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrleetch View Post
Great win for USA tonight.

As far as Red Bulls go. Not going to root for a fanbase shouting USA reject at Landon Donovan. Talk about a joke.
Don't take it personally..... Landon doesn't!

Old
06-08-2013, 02:14 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

We're the fanbase that constantly ridicules Brodeur, and shouted "Alffie sucks" for no good reason in a first round matchup with the Sens.

Sort of a double standard. Donovan is not a God, he is a star player on a rival team.

Old
06-08-2013, 02:38 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
We're the fanbase that constantly ridicules Brodeur, and shouted "Alffie sucks" for no good reason in a first round matchup with the Sens.

Sort of a double standard. Donovan is not a God, he is a star player on a rival team.
Correct. When Patrick Kane is playing against the Rangers I boo him non stop. But when he wear the stars and stripes.... He's all aces with me !!

Old
06-08-2013, 03:53 PM
nyrleetch

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
Correct. When Patrick Kane is playing against the Rangers I boo him non stop. But when he wear the stars and stripes.... He's all aces with me !!
Yes but we aren't booing Patrick Kane and yelling silver medal at him or something like that. I don't understand how these fans can call Donovan a USA reject when these same fans root for him when he is playing for for America.
Attack Donovan for what he has done with the Galaxy, not for the national team. Also chanting USA reject makes very little sense considering he is the all time leading goal scorer.

Edit: Not that I am trying to go all in depth into this lol. Just annoyed me to chant that at him.

Last edited by nyrleetch: 06-08-2013 at 04:00 PM.
nyrleetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 04:30 AM
nyrmetros

USA vs Panama wcq tonight at 10pm in Seattle on espn!

Old
06-11-2013, 11:26 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Frankly, a fan of any of the three pro soccer teams in NYC is a help to the sport in the country. I will loathe City FC and the Cosmos, but every new fan for them, as long as it doesn't come from our fanbase is fine.

The onus is on RBNY/Metro to win trophies now, before the other two become prominent. City FC will be here in 2015 but won't have their own stadium for a few years past that. Cosmos have plans for a great facility but won't be in MLS until whenever a promotion system is put in (It could be a very long time, the NASL isn't close to large enough yet)