HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

2013 Draft Discussion | Part 1 - The Sweeping

Closed Thread

Old
06-08-2013, 02:29 PM
Malkinstheman

vCash: 500
Realy want us to take saros:
http://thehockeywriters.com/juuse-sa...spect-profile/

The only thing stopping him is his height, if he continues to grow, i think he for sure makes it as atleast a really good backup

Old
06-08-2013, 02:29 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Great write up. Isn't Lehkonen meant to go early 2nd round though?

Old
06-08-2013, 02:36 PM
Black Label

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
I think it is likely that he could go early in the 2nd. I wouldn't be surprised to see him slip a bit though. I don't really like him as much as some of the people who write the mock drafts. He has good experience playing against men, but I just think he will either be a top 6 forward or not make it to the NHL and I don't think he warrants a really early second round pick.

To be honest, I like Arvidsson a lot more. I think Lehkonen is a better player, but I think with where they are slated to go in the draft Arvidsson is the better value.

Old
06-08-2013, 02:41 PM
Black Label

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkinstheman View Post

The only thing stopping him is his height, if he continues to grow, i think he for sure makes it as atleast a really good backup
I was thinking about throwing Saros and Högberg in my write up, but figured the Pens wouldn't use one of their earlier picks on a goalie. Both of them will probably go in the 3rd round, but they both have issues. Saros is on the small side and Högberg does not have the quickness that Saros does. With Zatkoff and Hartzell in the pipeline I don't think the Pens should spend a 3rd round pick on a goalie.

If the Pens were going to spend a 3rd round pick on a goalie I think Bergvik is the best pick. He is a good combination between Saros' athletic ability and Högberg's calmness. All three of those goalies should land up going around the same time in the draft I would think.

Old
06-08-2013, 02:49 PM
Malkinstheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Label View Post
I was thinking about throwing Saros and Högberg in my write up, but figured the Pens wouldn't use one of their earlier picks on a goalie. Both of them will probably go in the 3rd round, but they both have issues. Saros is on the small side and Högberg does not have the quickness that Saros does. With Zatkoff and Hartzell in the pipeline I don't think the Pens should spend a 3rd round pick on a goalie.

If the Pens were going to spend a 3rd round pick on a goalie I think Bergvik is the best pick. He is a good combination between Saros' athletic ability and Högberg's calmness. All three of those goalies should land up going around the same time in the draft I would think.
Even with hartzell and zatkoff in the system, i think saros instantly becomes our best goalie prospect but as you said we prob wont pick him in the third. Is there any chance he goes really late or undrafted?

Old
06-08-2013, 02:55 PM
Black Label

Quote:
Even with hartzell and zatkoff in the system, i think saros instantly becomes our best goalie prospect but as you said we prob wont pick him in the third. Is there any chance he goes really late or undrafted?
There is probably a chance, I've seen mock drafts where they go in the 3rd and I've seen more recent ones where they go in the 6th round or so. I don't know much about the depth of the NA goalie prospects this year, but I think most of the SEL/FEL goalies are pretty close as far as potential goes. If any of those 3 guys slip to the 7th round or so I think they could be good developmental players. I should also say that I am terrible at predicting where players will go.

Old
06-08-2013, 03:01 PM
deakka

Great write-up!

Now i want 3 slovak kids!
Dano, Reway, and Cehlarik

Old
06-08-2013, 03:15 PM
Sivek

Thanks for the analysis, only hope now is that the Pens can acquire some draft picks.

Old
06-08-2013, 03:27 PM
deakka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post
Thanks for the analysis, only hope now is that the Pens can acquire some draft picks.
We should. Question is what kind.
Im happy with anything, we doesnt even have enough forward prospects left for the rookie tournament for christs sake

I dont care if its a 7th rounder each for Morrows and Murrays rights or whatever. We really need to restock a bit.

I would love to get some higher pics ofc, but then were talking Letang (1st), Orpik (1st-2nd), Martin (1st), Niskanen (2nd-3rd)

Old
06-08-2013, 03:34 PM
Black Label

I don't think the Pens need to have a lot of high picks this year to have a good draft. Any team can get good players out of the first three rounds or so. The Pens need to find some good players later in the draft. There are a lot of players in the mid to late rounds that are going to be solid NHL players, they just have to find them.

Old
06-08-2013, 04:17 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:

The Penguins won't be drafting a goalie early unless he has the pedigree to be a starter. We've got back-up candidates aplenty and you can always pick someone up off FA in a given year. We need someone who is young and starter quality. Which means you're not going to find that guy in the draft; you're going to trade for someone who's already proven they can hack it (Bernier is the best option IMO).

Old
06-08-2013, 06:02 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

We don't really need to draft a goalie either. We have enough prospects now and if the team feel the need to get Gibson then so be. We'd be more than catered for in that department with Hartzell, Maguire and Murray still developing and Zatkoff establishing himself as a solid AHL starter. I'd like to think that we'd draft more Forwards this year than D but who knows who we will draft.

Old
06-08-2013, 07:00 PM
Malkinstheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
The Penguins won't be drafting a goalie early unless he has the pedigree to be a starter. We've got back-up candidates aplenty and you can always pick someone up off FA in a given year. We need someone who is young and starter quality. Which means you're not going to find that guy in the draft; you're going to trade for someone who's already proven they can hack it (Bernier is the best option IMO).
His pedigree is to become a starter. I just meant that at worst i see him become a really good back up

Old
06-12-2013, 11:17 AM
Flat Stanley

Okay so Ray Shero said acquiring Jussi Jokinen didn't cost anything, so I'm assuming they don't get our pick. So the Penguins current Draft picks are...

3rd Round: 77th overall (DAL from PHI originally from MIN)
3rd Round: 89th overall
4th Round: 114th overall
6th Round: 164th overall (WPG)
6th Round: 179th overall
7th Round: 209th overall

Some people I've asked seem to think so, but does anyone think Shero will acquire more picks in salary cap dump trades?

Last edited by Flat Stanley: 06-26-2013 at 07:45 AM.
Old
06-12-2013, 11:28 AM
Black Label

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
Okay so Ray Shero said acquiring Jussi Jokinen didn't cost anything, so I'm assuming they don't get our pick. So the Penguins current Draft picks are...

7th Round: 194th overall (WPG)

Some people I've asked seem to think so, but does anyone think Shero will acquire more picks in salary cap dump trades?
I expect some 5th-7th round picks for players rights or something along those lines. I don't expect to get any picks before the 3rd round though.

Old
06-15-2013, 02:29 PM
GaryT

How good is this draft class, would it be worth it to trade up for a forward?

Old
06-15-2013, 03:06 PM
rmartin65

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryT View Post
How good is this draft class, would it be worth it to trade up for a forward?
It seems like a very strong class, but I dont think the Pens move up enough to take one of the big guns. I would not be surprised to see Shero pull of a couple draft day moves, but nothing like the Staal deal last year.

Old
06-16-2013, 04:12 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post
I hope so, too. Brooks Orpik for 2013 2nd + prospect/2013 4th/2013 3rd anyone?

Quote:
It was speculated by people in the media (i.e. TSN trade deadline show) that Jim Rutherford had many takers for J. Jokinen at a reduced salary, but that he traded him to PIT in part because J.R. is known for trading players to places where he thinks they'll be happy/be a good fit.

So, it follows that there should be other teams interested in JJ. When you also factor in how well he performed in terms of #s in the reg. season for us, and the fact that we can now trade him for $2.1 instead of $3 million, I think that not only would there be a number of takers for him, but I believe that we can get more for him than we paid for him. Not necessarily substantially more, mind you, but I certainly believe we could trade him for a 4th or 5th at the draft, which is a nice improvement on the 6th we gave up for him.

(and I absolutely think there is no way we should keep him for next season at $2.1 million under any circumstance)

Quote:
I certainly hope so. We need to be like Chicago in 2010, with the only difference being that we didn't win the Cup, of course. I would like to re-sign Iggy, but if we can't retain him or Morrow or Murray, then let's trade their rights for whatever we can get for them. I would also part with Orpik and/or Niskanen, and Kennedy if we are not going to retain him (I still think we need to re-sign one of TK or Iginla). I'm not expecting much for the rights for guys like Murray/Morrow (and we may want to retain them), but we could get substantial returns for rights to Iggy, Kennedy, and possibly even pulling the trigger on trades for D-prospects that we think may not fit with us in the future (i.e. Samuelsson, and possibly one of our higher-end guys)

Old
06-26-2013, 07:48 AM
Flat Stanley

Quote:

6th Round: 164th overall (WPG)

Quoting an earlier post of mine that I edited. According to Molinari, the Penguins will receive a 6th from Winnipeg because he met the condition for the conditional pick.

Quote:
Turns out the Penguins got a better return on the Eric Tangradi deal than almost anyone realized. The seventh-round choice they received for him from Winnipeg was upgraded to a sixth-rounder when Tangradi met a games-played condition. Tangradi dressed for 36 games with the Jets. The pick the Penguins will get for him is No. 164 overall, up from No. 194.
Here's the article about the Penguins having the option to move into the 2nd or 1st round in the draft this year, also where I got the info about the Tangradi trade.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...-draft-693118/

Old
06-26-2013, 08:01 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Would like to have an early 2nd round or late 1st this year. Could do with a couple of seconds as this is a deep draft and there's some good players to be had.

Old
06-26-2013, 08:37 AM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Label View Post
I think it is likely that he could go early in the 2nd. I wouldn't be surprised to see him slip a bit though. I don't really like him as much as some of the people who write the mock drafts. He has good experience playing against men, but I just think he will either be a top 6 forward or not make it to the NHL and I don't think he warrants a really early second round pick.

To be honest, I like Arvidsson a lot more. I think Lehkonen is a better player, but I think with where they are slated to go in the draft Arvidsson is the better value.
I think Lehkonen may sneak into the first. Columbus with Jarmo Kekalainen at the reigns and with three picks in the first round could be tempted to gamble on Lehkonen's immense skill and talent, imo. Also, Dallas has two picks, and we have to assume Jim Nill is cut from largely the same mold as Ken Holland, so expect some Euros to go there too. And, Calgary also has three in the first and they too have focused a lot on Europe under Jay Feaster.

If there's a real European sleeper, I have no doubts he'll be taken well before we start picking.

Sunday is going to be quite painful to watch as a huge fan of the draft.

Old
06-26-2013, 08:44 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

I think Shero may end up dealing someone from the roster to move up in the draft. Just a gut feeling.

Old
06-26-2013, 08:46 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
I think Shero may end up dealing someone from the roster to move up in the draft. Just a gut feeling.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Something like Niskanen + 3rd for two 2nds or something like that.

Old
06-26-2013, 08:56 AM
Black Label

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
I think Lehkonen may sneak into the first. Columbus with Jarmo Kekalainen at the reigns and with three picks in the first round could be tempted to gamble on Lehkonen's immense skill and talent, imo. Also, Dallas has two picks, and we have to assume Jim Nill is cut from largely the same mold as Ken Holland, so expect some Euros to go there too. And, Calgary also has three in the first and they too have focused a lot on Europe under Jay Feaster.

If there's a real European sleeper, I have no doubts he'll be taken well before we start picking.

Sunday is going to be quite painful to watch as a huge fan of the draft.
There are a lot of European sleepers in this draft, and most of them won't be taken until the mid to late rounds. Other than Barkov, Arvidsson is my favorite player in the draft and he won't be taken until the 4th-5th round at the earliest.

Old
06-26-2013, 09:04 AM
deakka

I know i have been talking about this in absurdum. ...
But we REALLY need to get some more picks and refill the pipeline, especially forwards.

We have assets to move. Ignlas rights, Kennedy, Jeffrey, Niskanen etc.
Decide who we wanna keep going forward, and who we can spare. The clock is ticking tho, especially if we wanna trade the rights to players

Closed Thread