HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rumors and Speculation Thread #5 (June 8: Bob McKenzie's rumors [page 27])

Closed Thread

Old
06-08-2013, 10:39 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

vCash: 500
Gonchar - 2 years 10 mil - Stars.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=424985

Old
06-08-2013, 12:30 PM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
I know teams are usually a bit of homers when it comes to their own players and proposed trades. But taking a look at the Pens board, I see it is on a whole other level. They feel Latang should get:

Yakapov
7th overall
Schultz

dreamworld!
Lol! He's so good, but the Pens fans want to trade him... Hmmmm. Letang ain't that great, and he's a UFA after next season. No way he gets that return.

Old
06-08-2013, 01:05 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
Gonchar - 2 years 10 mil - Stars.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=424985
Wow. That's a lot of scratch for a 39 year old defenseman who has seen better days. I'm wondering if this is the end of either Goligoski or Larson in Dallas

Old
06-08-2013, 01:10 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Wow. That's a lot of scratch for a 39 year old defenseman who has seen better days. I'm wondering if this is the end of either Goligoski or Larson in Dallas
Robidas has also been rumored to be leaving as well.

I also don't think goligoski will require couts or our 11th overall to get. Especially with new management there, they might be looking into a full rebuild. I would be interested to see what Benn and ray Whitney cost

Old
06-08-2013, 01:13 PM
Jray42

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post

I also don't think goligoski will require couts or our 11th overall to get. Especially with new management there, they might be looking into a full rebuild. I would be interested to see what Benn and ray Whitney cost
Unless we're willing to move Giroux, I don't forsee this happening

Old
06-08-2013, 01:13 PM
LegionOfDoom91

I don't see them moving Benn. He would be the guy they would build around if they went with a rebuild.

Old
06-08-2013, 01:19 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Goligoski is the only reasonable trade bait. Benn isn't moving. I can't see why they'd move Larsen. Whitney doesnt' really fit into our cap structure.

Old
06-08-2013, 01:33 PM
ahthorne

I don't think they'd be willing to just toss Goligoski away. I would hope they're going to stick with him and not give up on the fruits from the Neal deal right away unless they get a return that makes losing Neal look a little better. At least Niskanen is still really bad.

Old
06-08-2013, 02:15 PM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
I know teams are usually a bit of homers when it comes to their own players and proposed trades. But taking a look at the Pens board, I see it is on a whole other level. They feel Latang should get:

Yakapov
7th overall
Schultz

dreamworld!
I don't even see this as this much of an overpayment.
But then again, I think Schultz won't ever become defensively responsible enough to be counted on playing top-pairing minutes.
Also Letang is one hell of a player, he's not nearly as bad defensively as some make him out to be.

Old
06-08-2013, 02:36 PM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
But then again, I think Schultz won't ever become defensively responsible enough to be counted on playing top-pairing minutes.
Also Letang is one hell of a player, he's not nearly as bad defensively as some make him out to be.
Schultz is still good offensively enough for top 4 play though. ALOT to give up for a 1 yr UFA. Would 100% not do that but thats just me.

Old
06-08-2013, 02:42 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Letang is vastly overrated. He might be one of the dumbest hockey players in the NHL. He has the tools but has no toolbox as they say.

He'll fetch a good return but not that kind of haul.

Old
06-08-2013, 03:18 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Letang is vastly overrated. He might be one of the dumbest hockey players in the NHL. He has the tools but has no toolbox as they say.

He'll fetch a good return but not that kind of haul.
So......he's a more offensive version of Coburn then.

Old
06-08-2013, 03:34 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Letang is super overrated. I don't think he's a top 5 dman. Top 10 yes but he is not elite like pens fans think he is. He's in that tier below elite.

Old
06-08-2013, 03:52 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
Me personally, discounting team "needs", I'd take Yak over Letang any day of the week. Letang is about as effective as Karlsson in the defensive zone and that's not saying much. Letang has actually gotten WORSE with more responsibility being tossed on his shoulders, he's quickly falling on the list of "best dmen in the league" and looking more and more like the next Mike Green , ie - all offense, no defense (although personally I think Green is a much better player now than he was early in his career because he has sacrificed some of his offensive production to actually become solid in his own zone).

Old
06-08-2013, 04:40 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post

If the Stars are going to rebuild, why would they sign Gonchar to a 2-year deal? Plus, looking at their roster, they needed more help up front than on the blueline.

Old
06-08-2013, 04:41 PM
ILoveStephanieBrown

https://twitter.com/DennisTFP

''@ericsuperfan think Bryzgalov gets bought out and Bernier for Matt Read is made. Was discussed at deadline as I hear.''

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mod edit:

BobMcKenzie's rumors...

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie

Quote:
Also, PHI is in market for D and may be willing to move one of their young centres - B Schenn or Couturier - for the right deal.
Quote:
It's not carved in stone, but in spite of what has been said in past, I expect PHI is likely to use compliance buyout on Ilya Bryzgalov.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...y-this-summer/

Quote:
One team that figures to be busy no matter what this summer are the Philadelphia Flyers and TSN’s Bob McKenzie helped amp up the speculation.

McKenzie tweeted some thoughts on the Flyers’ situation that are sure to get Flyers fans anxious for at least the June 30 NHL Draft when trade shenanigans take over.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill Meltzer:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...rnier/45/52017

Quote:
The Ilya Bryzgalov buyout talk isn't about to die down any time soon. Despite vehement denials from Flyers management that the team plans to use one of its two allotted salary cap compliance (AKA amnesty) buyouts on Bryzgalov, there is still rampant speculation that the team will do so when all is said and done.

Yesterday, TSN's Bob McKenzie tweeted the following: "It's not carved in stone, but in spite of what has been said in past, I expect PHI is likely to use compliance buyout on Ilya Bryzgalov."

I have mixed feelings on Bryzgalov, and I disagree equally with those who take any opportunity to ridicule or skewer him and those who automatically excuse and defend everything he does on the ice and says off the ice. I don't think he's a bad goaltender at all, just one who may be stylistically ill-suited to the system the head coach has wanted his team to play (due to Bryzgalov's average lateral mobility, below-average puckhandling, and inconsistency on his stick side in general) and, like all goalies, is made to look far worse than he actually is by leaky team defense.

Goalie is a brutally tough position to play. It's not just about mechanics and playing the angles. It's also about mental toughness, on-ice communication and mutual trust between the goaltender and his teammates. Good goaltending is symbiotic with competent team defense but it also has an effect on a team's offensive confidence.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 06-10-2013 at 09:40 AM.
Old
06-08-2013, 04:45 PM
ILoveStephanieBrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
If the Stars are going to rebuild, why would they sign Gonchar to a 2-year deal? Plus, looking at their roster, they needed more help up front than on the blueline.
He's probably just a stop-gap. It's not uncommon to see rebuilding teams do that.

Old
06-08-2013, 04:50 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOREacek View Post
He's probably just a stop-gap. It's not uncommon to see rebuilding teams do that.
They're probably going to unload some contacts so they are going to need his cap hit more than likely too.

Old
06-08-2013, 04:51 PM
BernieParent

Quote:

''@ericsuperfan think Bryzgalov gets bought out and Bernier for Matt Read is made. Was discussed at deadline as I hear.''
Well, if ericsuperfan is calling this deal, it's going down!

I really don't see the Kings moving Bernier for just Read. Nor would I be for bringing in a still-untested Bernier to pair up with a still-much-to-prove Mason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOREacek
That would be an expensive stop-gap, and getting Gonchar so far ahead of the FA period points to the Stars going after Gonchar with purpose.

Old
06-08-2013, 04:54 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:

I just saw this on twitter. It honestly makes no sense to me. I know we're going probably have to ship Read out at some point but I rather trade him for something else other than a young goalie. To me there's really no difference between Bernier and Mason both are unproven at this point IMO. I rather just give Mason the look this year and revaluate this situation next summer and save yourself some assets for now.

Trading for Mason this year would be a waste of move to turn around and acquire another goaltender close in age to him.

Old
06-08-2013, 04:58 PM
ILoveStephanieBrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Well, if ericsuperfan is calling this deal, it's going down!

I really don't see the Kings moving Bernier for just Read. Nor would I be for bringing in a still-untested Bernier to pair up with a still-much-to-prove Mason.
No, no, no. The Eric guy is just someone he was replying to. I doubt it happens to but it is rumors and speculation so...

Old
06-08-2013, 05:01 PM
ILoveStephanieBrown

Quote:
I just saw this on twitter. It honestly makes no sense to me. I know we're going probably have to ship Read out at some point but I rather trade him for something else other than a young goalie. To me there's really no difference between Bernier and Mason both are unproven at this point IMO. I rather just give Mason the look this year and revaluate this situation next summer and save yourself some assets for now.

Trading for Mason this year would be a waste of move to turn around and acquire another goaltender close in age to him.
Idk. I feel like it would give us a better shot at striking gold. Let them come in and compete against each other.

Old
06-08-2013, 05:06 PM
Stizzle

Quote:

I agree with this. Trading Read would kill our forward depth. And we'd be getting back a redundant asset. Mason deserves a chance to win the job.

Old
06-08-2013, 05:10 PM
ILoveStephanieBrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzle View Post
I agree with this. Trading Read would kill our forward depth. And we'd be getting back a redundant asset. Mason deserves a chance to win the job.
But don't you feel with the signing of Raffl and Straka, that Read is somewhat expendable?

Old
06-08-2013, 05:13 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Idk. I feel like it would give us a better shot at striking gold. Let them come in and compete against each other.
Well we probably have to add to Read to acquire Bernier. I doubt it would be a straight swap.

IMO it would would be a bad precedent to set to Mason by bringing in another goalie close in age to him. It would basically be saying to him we have no confidence in him. To a fragile minded goalie like Mason it probably would ruin him for good.

The other point it would just be bad asset managing. You gave up a third for Mason and then you would turn around not even a year later and give up Read+ for another wild card goalie.

I rather go with Mason and Bryz for next year over that. If you need the cap space buy-out Bryz and sign a veteran like Thomas or someone who could actually help out Mason.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 06-08-2013 at 05:21 PM.
Closed Thread