HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Plekanec

Old
06-07-2013, 11:30 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
By the same token, its very hard to replace centers that can play both sides of the puck well.

The safest option in my mind is to keep Plekanec and Eller together and not have to worry about your top six's two-way ability down the middle or who will be your main PK forwards for the next 5 seasons.
Quoted for truth. With 2-1 and 1-0 games so common in the playoffs, those are the guys you build lines around.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 11:49 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
By the same token, its very hard to replace centers that can play both sides of the puck well.

And if we're projecting Plekanec to be a 3rd line center 5 years from now, its as the cream of the crop of 3Cs. Something that's usually more valuable than a mid-list top six winger.

By comparison to your proposed Plekanec for Stewart deal, considering the age curves on goal scoring wingers vs two-way centermen (non-physical division), I'd say there is a decent chance Pleks at 35 is more valuable to a contending team than Stewart at 30.

The safest option in my mind is to keep Plekanec and Eller together and not have to worry about your top six's two-way ability down the middle or who will be your main PK forwards for the next 5 seasons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Quoted for truth. With 2-1 and 1-0 games so common in the playoffs, those are the guys you build lines around.

Quoted for emphasis...

Eller - Plekanec are EXACTLY the kind of C's you want to have in your top-6 IF you don't have a superstar #1C, and EXACTLY the kind of C'S you want to have in your top-9 if you do have a stud #1.

Short of a team making a "can't refuse" offer, Plekanec should be here until the end of his current contract & probably extended after that.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 12:47 AM
Fin9*

Plekanec to St Louis for Stewart??????????????????????

Fin9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 01:26 AM
Yozzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fin9 View Post
I would.

Yozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 01:31 AM
Doc McKenna

Ever since his big contract I have been meh at best with him. Pleks has become a selfish perimeter player that shys away from more physicla areas. For a supposed playmaker I am far more shocked when I see a pass from him that his typical shot 5 feet from the side hash marks. Just watch if he has a man open. 8/10 times he will shoot, his best years was when Kovy and AK pulled him along for his top point year, Otherwise a 55 point guy. For someone who gets 22 minutes a game and is routinely getting more time in all situations than anyone else..well he is no Saku is all I can say.

Haven't been happy with pleks since he became our "best center" because its speaks volumes as to how suck we must be.

Doc McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 02:21 AM
TT1

plek for stewart and markov + a pick for ekman-larsson.. o.O?

TT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 02:29 AM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT1 View Post
plek for stewart and markov + a pick for ekman-larsson.. o.O?
I'm sure PHX would do that...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 02:34 AM
TT1

:[ okok lets make everyones life easier and just do plek + markov + 1st rounder for steward + shattenkirk/pietrangelo

Old
06-08-2013, 02:40 AM
HatTricK09

vCash: 133
Quote:
:[ okok lets make everyones life easier and just do plek + markov + 1st rounder for steward + shattenkirk/pietrangelo
You're a funny one aren't you

HatTricK09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 02:45 AM
TT1

i want a young stud top 2 Dmeeeeeeen T.T. ok final offer, plek + markov + 1st rounder + MOEN for steward + shattenkirk/pietrangelo. someones gotta make up for all that grit theyre losing

Old
06-08-2013, 09:34 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc McKenna View Post
Ever since his big contract I have been meh at best with him. Pleks has become a selfish perimeter player that shys away from more physicla areas. For a supposed playmaker I am far more shocked when I see a pass from him that his typical shot 5 feet from the side hash marks. Just watch if he has a man open. 8/10 times he will shoot, his best years was when Kovy and AK pulled him along for his top point year, Otherwise a 55 point guy. For someone who gets 22 minutes a game and is routinely getting more time in all situations than anyone else..well he is no Saku is all I can say.

Haven't been happy with pleks since he became our "best center" because its speaks volumes as to how suck we must be.
You obviously don't know what to expect from Plekanec if you think this guy is a playmaker. The guy is one of the best two way centers in the NHL. He isn't the most creative player offensively but sill is a safe bet for 50+ pts. He is constantly getting the tougher match ups and minutes with wingers that aren't top liners and does well.

Not sure what the comparison with Koivu is. Koivu is more creative offensively but can't compare to Plekanec's shutdown abilities. Two very different centers.

In any event, having Plek-Eller-Gally as our top 3 centers is just amazing. Hopefully both youngsters step it up next year.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 09:52 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
you should really put this on the off season trade talk thread where some of your fellow xboxers are posting their trade proposals.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 04:05 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fin9 View Post
That makes Eller and Desharnais the top 2 centres. You really cant trade pleks for a winger unless:

a) Eller progresses to the point where he can do everything pleks does on a nightly basis. I like Eller but I don't think he's there yet.

b) Galchenyuk takes astronomical steps and becomes a bonafide top liner.

Montreal is no better by doing this move.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 04:46 PM
Laboeuf

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal ball View Post
Just curious: why do so many people here want to trade Plekanec away? The guy is brilliant defensively and has some nice tricks on offence as well. He's fast, smart and skilled. Of course, he's not the guy you want to be your number-one centre because of his size and the way he tends to wear down as the season goes on. But he would be such an asset to a winning team as a second line guy. Even third, as he gets older, just for his defence.

He's got four years left on his current deal, which he'll earn while Eller and Galchenyuk are maturing, and after that he can be signed for much less for a lower line job. So why the need to trade him?

I can give you 3 reasons why we want to trade Plekanec.

1. He'll get premium price in return: an NHL player + top prospect, maybe a late first or early 2nd round pick. If you're in Toronto, that probably means Tyler Bozak+Jake Gardiner and a pick.

2. Plekanec disappears when the game gets physical like in the playoffs. When facing bigger teams like Boston, Plekanec is MIA.

3. His attitude and the fact that he's only 5'10". Fans hate him because he's a "small" player and during his interviews he repeats the same cliche over and over like Josh Gorges.

Laboeuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 04:55 PM
couris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laboeuf View Post

1. He'll get premium price in return: an NHL player + top prospect, maybe a late first or early 2nd round pick. If you're in Toronto, that probably means Tyler Bozak+Jake Gardiner and a pick.

2. Plekanec disappears when the game gets physical like in the playoffs. When facing bigger teams like Boston, Plekanec is MIA.

3. His attitude and the fact that he's only 5'10". Fans hate him because he's a "small" player and during his interviews he repeats the same cliche over and over like Josh Gorges.
Also, he has a caphit of 5M and we are far away from winning the cup... Galchenyuk will have to be the #1 center of this team. If we trade plekachu we can get a decent return. Plekanec is also the definition of peripheral player. Total *****.

couris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 04:57 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:

So will anyone worth having because... wait for it... they're worth having. As for what you expect the value to be... lol?

Quote:
Right now he's in competition with only 3 other players in Montreal for the centre positions. Which ones do you think actually represent an upgrade over Plekanec in this regard? Let me guess, in your reality you'd have 12 moves lined up that would address the actual spots in the roster where this is an issue - after taking care of priority one, of course: get rid of Plekanec. XBox is awesome. Compared to Desharnais or Eller, Plekanec is like Bob Probert, and who's left after that?

Quote:
3. His attitude and the fact that he's only 5'10". Fans hate him because he's a "small" player and during his interviews he repeats the same cliche over and over like Josh Gorges. [/B]
His attitude, lol. "Fans" hate him, lol. He's a "small" player, lol.

In summary: lol.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 05:03 PM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:

1. that's FAR from a premium price

2. You know no other forwards had more points than him last PO right ?

3. Aside from you, who else hates Plekanec ?

Old
06-08-2013, 05:06 PM
overlords
#BargainBanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post

That's an easy one

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 05:07 PM
Hope Of Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post

Patofqc?

Hope Of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 05:07 PM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
That's an easy one
I know =)

Old
06-08-2013, 05:08 PM
Hope Of Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
That's an easy one
Beat me to it

Hope Of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 05:08 PM
Teufelsdreck

If the Habs look easy to beat now, I shudder to think what they would look like without Plekanec.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 06:12 PM
MonkeyBusiness

Quote:

Are you aware that Bozak will want the same if not a bigger salary than Plekanec? While Plekanec is by far a better player.

MonkeyBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 06:21 PM
Price My Man Crush

Quote:
Originally Posted by couris View Post
Also, he has a caphit of 5M and we are far away from winning the cup... Galchenyuk will have to be the #1 center of this team. If we trade plekachu we can get a decent return. Plekanec is also the definition of peripheral player. Total *****.
Your hate for Plekanec is getting old now, bud. You don't even have reasons to hate him.

Price My Man Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 06:25 PM
Jillannshabs*

Our Montreal Canadiens , including the loyal fans we have should simply get used to either missing the playoffs, or making them and getting eliminated early again, as long as we have Plekanec and Desharnais as the teams top two centers. Let's hope Bergevin sees this and makes a move, as we have Galchenyuk and Eller coming on.

Jillannshabs* is offline   Reply With Quote