HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

looking at the staios extension now

Closed Thread

Old
01-04-2004, 10:43 AM
deathbear

vCash: 500
looking at the staios extension now

are you still happy he got re-signed for as much as he did?

Old
01-04-2004, 10:57 AM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbear
Yes. Why shouldn't we be happy? He's a good player, but he's been overplayed this year. Give him the proper playing time, then he'd be dynamite.

Old
01-04-2004, 11:01 AM
Lowetide

Some of the best money Lowe has spent, imo. 25 minutes a night is way out of his comfort zone, but he's done it and never *****ed one time. Took a shot in the mid section the other night to preserve a win.

A strong candidate for most underrated player in the NHL, imo.

Old
01-04-2004, 11:25 AM
Cujo_31

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
Some of the best money Lowe has spent, imo. 25 minutes a night is way out of his comfort zone, but he's done it and never *****ed one time. Took a shot in the mid section the other night to preserve a win.

A strong candidate for most underrated player in the NHL, imo.
I completely agree!!

Old
01-04-2004, 11:33 AM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage
Yes. Why shouldn't we be happy? He's a good player, but he's been overplayed this year. Give him the proper playing time, then he'd be dynamite.
I think injuries may have something to with him playing more lately. He played 29+ minutes against the Wild in the first game of the home-and-home. The reason is because Gator got injured and they also played without Cross in that game. Injuries are a factor in Staios playing more minutes than he should.

01-04-2004, 11:40 AM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbear
I am certain that I will be the one dissenting voice on this topic but here goes. I think that Staios is overplayed. Because he has been overplayed and risen to the challenge we increased his value above and beyond what it is in the long run. Having increased his value we were forced to pay it to keep him.

I hope I am wrong but I think I already see signs of him wearing down as his body just will not take the rigours of 23-25 minute games over a season.

Staios playing 17-18 minutes a game as the number 5 man on a championship calibre team is his proper role. Trying to make him a number 3 or 4 will eventually do to him what making a number 7 Ferguson a 5 or 6 guy did to him. Out of the comfort zone and into the doghouse.

Just my opinion.

Old
01-04-2004, 12:35 PM
Meanashell11

We already paid to keep him and the price was quite reasonable. If I remember correctly he just signed a 3 year deal.

Old
01-04-2004, 12:53 PM
northern2020

staios is a leader, consistently sacrifices his body- has anyone been beaned with the biscuit more than he...great attitude and team player. definatley a soldier the coilers need more of, and he loves to play for edmonton.

I agree though he is overplayed and needs around 18-20 mins to be highly effective. He is too physical to be playing 22+ mins a night, he will break down soon, but other than smith we have no troopers on defense since Ninnima was exported

Old
01-04-2004, 01:07 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Don't forget both Cross and Smith were out with injury in the last game. You can't expect Lynch and Luoma to take up the icetime and heaven forbid, Ferguson.

Old
01-04-2004, 02:40 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky83
Don't forget both Cross and Smith were out with injury in the last game. You can't expect Lynch and Luoma to take up the icetime and heaven forbid, Ferguson.
I don't think his ice time over the last two games is the problem. It's his ice time over the course of the season so far.

Old
01-04-2004, 07:33 PM
Oi'll say!

Signing Staios was a huge step in the right direction for this team and gives the Oilers and Kevin Lowe some much needed credibility with regards to paying players what they're worth. Far too often the contracts hashed out with veteran players around here are bitterly contested at the 11th hour, it was nice to see the two sides come to an amicable agreement a year b4 crunch time.

Kudos to Lowe and Staios.

Old
01-04-2004, 07:57 PM
oildrop

Staios was a great UFA signing by Lowe and it's great that Lowe has signed him to an extention. Staios has been a great defenceman for the Oilers and puts everything on the line game in and game out. A perfect example of a player who plays with Heart and determination is Staios!

Old
01-04-2004, 08:07 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

I really hope that in about '06 or '07 Staios is the grizzly veteran #4 or so defenceman on an excellent team that is headed deep into the playoffs with a good shot to win it all. That's where he fits for me in terms of his future role. Yes he's playing a lil too much right now, but that's okay. A fresher more hidden Staios would be an excellent piece of the puzzle.

Old
01-06-2004, 07:40 AM
Vomiting Kermit*

Staios has earned every penny he's made. That's something you can't say about most players in the sports world.

Closed Thread