HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 10.0

Closed Thread

Old
06-08-2013, 07:43 PM
deandebean

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by galchenyuktocollberg View Post
Timmins for the most part hasn't caved in to pick locals over BPA you could argue leblanc but he was pretty much the BPA .i trust he will do the same this year.
Yeah but this year, the locals are good. Best Q draft in about 15 years. Montreal can't miss his one.So yes draft locals.

Old
06-08-2013, 07:44 PM
deandebean

Dunn getting traded to Gatineau this morning says to me: draft him. He'll get groomed by Groulx.

Old
06-08-2013, 07:45 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24get View Post
Forget Mantha at 25.
Here just hoping we can trade up and get him at 19-20.

Before 25th, Morin, Mantha, Gauthier are all tall players who will be in demand considering the PO. Kings and Boston in top-4 are going to have an impact on size during the draft.
I say we trade up for Mantha. He really is worth it, but I think that I GM will go off the board at like 15 and pick him because of his hands and size.

Old
06-08-2013, 07:46 PM
PricerStopDaPuck
#PrayForBozon

vCash: 250
So is poirier a good skater? I've heard many different things

Old
06-08-2013, 07:48 PM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNimitz View Post
You haven't seen anything yet. We have three weeks to go and by the eve of the draft there will be 30 to 40 players that people will be touting as certain future hall of famers.
Bang on.

When I read people that do not want to draft a solid prospect in the 2nd round because he doesn't have 30-40-70 potential, I just shake my head in disbelief.

We have 3 very good picks. I'd be happy to take a gamble on a high risk - high reward player with one of those and draft a couple of solid contributors with the other picks. Even if they end up being 40 point guys that are tough to play against.

Old
06-08-2013, 07:52 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
Bang on.

When I read people that do not want to draft a solid prospect in the 2nd round because he doesn't have 30-40-70 potential, I just shake my head in disbelief.

We have 3 very good picks. I'd be happy to take a gamble on a high risk - high reward player with one of those and draft a couple of solid contributors with the other picks. Even if they end up being 40 point guys that are tough to play against.
While I agree with what you say, I don't think it would be wise for us to use our 1rst and our seconds for guys who will probably turn into 30-40 points max players. I want to reach on guys like Bailey,Petan,Mantha and hope that they reach their potential. Hartman is on my do not draft list. Not because he won't be an NHL player, quite the contrary he most likely will but in this draft, best since 2003 and possibly in history it would be a bad idea to take a safe player.

Old
06-08-2013, 07:58 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Yeah but this year, the locals are good. Best Q draft in about 15 years. Montreal can't miss his one.So yes draft locals.
The thing is, the other players also are better.... Its not the Q that takes this draft over the others... Its all the players.

Quote:
Yes he his. Pretty explosive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
While I agree with what you say, I don't think it would be wise for us to use our 1rst and our seconds for guys who will probably turn into 30-40 points max players. I want to reach on guys like Bailey,Petan,Mantha and hope that they reach their potential. Hartman is on my do not draft list. Not because he won't be an NHL player, quite the contrary he most likely will but in this draft, best since 2003 and possibly in history it would be a bad idea to take a safe player.
Take it down a notch please.
We have three picks in the 25-38 range, we can afford to get role players.

Old
06-08-2013, 08:04 PM
MonkeyBusiness

Quote:
We will probably be getting both types of players, that's the beauty of having as many picks as we have.

Old
06-08-2013, 08:04 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Dunn getting traded to Gatineau this morning says to me: draft him. He'll get groomed by Groulx.
I would really like to get Dunn.. problem is we don't have any 4 or 5th round picks, which is likely where he fits.

Quote:
I say we trade up for Mantha. He really is worth it, but I think that I GM will go off the board at like 15 and pick him because of his hands and size.
If we TRADED up to get Mantha. I would stay clear of the boards for a week, my rage would be WAYY too high. If we take him at 25, I'll be bitter, possibly mad, but no where near as incensed if we traded away a potentially good player in the 2nd round to get a prospect who has questions about desire, will, about taking/giving hits and one who is one of the oldest in the draft class.

Quote:
He got about 2 break-aways per game vs. Halifax. I'd say he's very explosive and knows when to take off.

Old
06-08-2013, 08:05 PM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
Bang on.

From what little i've seen, De la Rose looks like he could be a fantastic complimentary top 9 winger. Those type players are great to have with smaller more skilled guys. I'm totally fine with hard nosed top 9ers who can make those lines better. They create more points then their stats show.

Old
06-08-2013, 08:06 PM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
I am guessing Jarry is the 2nd goalie picked(3rd at worse) and will be picked somewhere in the 2nd round
If he's gone.. then I'm all for trading down and getting a 4th rounder to select Bibeau, Hogberg, Bergvik or Petersen.

Old
06-08-2013, 08:08 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
If he's gone.. then I'm all for trading down and getting a 4th rounder to select Bibeau, Hogberg, Bergvik or Petersen.
WTK, what do you think of Saros ?
....Small but he looks so good when I watch him.... I don't even know what to make of it.

Old
06-08-2013, 08:10 PM
Fozz

Quote:
Well, I don't have a "no draft" list and I think they're silly. All players listed in the top 50+ have interesting qualities and, if developed properly, could be useful players down the road.

Old
06-08-2013, 08:12 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Quote:
He has an awkward stride, but I would say he is a good skater.

Old
06-08-2013, 08:12 PM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
WTK, what do you think of Saros ?
....Small but he looks so good when I watch him.... I don't even know what to make of it.
He's gonna have a hard road to succeed in the NHL. I mean, by the make-up of our defense, he would have a tough time. As a smaller goalie, you have to challenge so much more to cover the same amount of net, and we're already having a tough time protecting Price against back-door plays and plays off the end boards.

Of course, Saros will be coming into a different squad but I just can't justify getting a smaller goalie. I'm not even too sure about Comrie and he's 6'0. I'd have to get the measurements of his legs and arms, because those wing spans are very essential as well.

Someone will gamble, I don't think it should be us.

Old
06-08-2013, 08:14 PM
PricerStopDaPuck
#PrayForBozon

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
He has an awkward stride, but I would say he is a good skater.

Hmm big fast decent production yeah I wouldn't mind him with a second

Old
06-08-2013, 08:26 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I'm not even too sure about Comrie and he's 6'0. I'd have to get the measurements of his legs and arms, because those wing spans are very essential as well.

Old
06-08-2013, 08:29 PM
Grant McCagg

Poirier straight ahead is as fast as anyone in the draft. Had two or more breakaways per game ...every game! Not just versus Halifax. Really has to work on his balance and lateral agility though...so as one guy said...mixed reviews.

Old
06-08-2013, 08:32 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
Poirier straight ahead is as fast as anyone in the draft. Had two or more breakaways per game ...every game! Not just versus Halifax. Really has to work on his balance and lateral agility though...so as one guy said...mixed reviews.
Help us with Saros now !

Old
06-08-2013, 08:33 PM
25get

vCash: 50
Quote:
This would be true if those players actually played a playoff-brand hockey Marchand sure has a lot of trouble in the PO.
Marchand did great but I still do not see him as a game changer for the next draft.
Conacher, Gallagher, Pageau also would be great examples.

I do understand that Marchand would be a first round pick if we would redraft.
But he was picked in 3rd, Gallagher in 5th, Pageau in 4th and Conacher was not even drafted.
Better example is St-Louis: not drafted and best scorer in the league.
Gaudreau was picked 4th round and his skills are off the chart.

Petan is 17th in TSN rankings but he is rated 33rd in NHL rankings in NA skaters.
He may not even be picked in first round.
Four years from now, he could very well be top-10 in scoring from the 2013 draft.

Not saying you are wrong, just saying that for smaller players, they will always be drafted later if they are drafted.

This is a strange science where Bergeron, Subban, Lucic and Krejci were all drafted in second round.
Bergeron would be ahead of Carter, Richards, Horton, Brown, Erikson and Kesler.
Lucic just behind Giroux and Staal.
In 2007, PK would probably be 2nd behing Kane (ahead of Gagner, Voracek, Perron and Benn).
Krejci was a 2nd round pick but he is ahead of Franzen, Ladd and Zajac. Streit did better than Krejci and was a 9th round pick.

Point is that 2nd round picks may (or may not) take one or two more years to deliver but end up being better.
Part of the reason is that players picked in first round are drafted because they are "more ready"
Same goes with player who are smaller: they do not get pick in first round.

I agree with your hindsight but who was under 5'10" and was drafted in first round?
Of course, Marchand, Gallagher and St-Louis should have been 1st rounder...

Do you want us to draft Petan at 25th?

Old
06-08-2013, 08:34 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
He is, though he has a funny wide stride like Leblanc.

My main concern is his game is very Eric Cole-ish, he's all about just trying to go around guys, and I'm just not sure he has the strength and speed to be successful at it in the NHL. Worth a chance in the 2nd though for sure.

Also keep in mind a bunch of those clips appear to be sped up.

Last edited by hogtownhabsfan*: 06-08-2013 at 08:41 PM.
Old
06-08-2013, 08:36 PM
Runner77

Quote:
Last time we had this mentality Giroux/Fischer happened, keep going guys.
So now every time a diminutive player is involved, he's Giroux. And if he's taller, he's Fischer. Prospecting has given way to the divinatory arts.

Old
06-08-2013, 08:38 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post
So now every time a diminutive player is involved, he's Giroux. And if he's taller, he's Fischer. Prospecting has given way to the divinatory arts.
But as Craig Button pointed out, the majority of steals fell because of size concerns, and size is easily the most overrated aspect in a prospect. The bigger question is strength, and willingness to use it....

For forwards at least. On D size alone does help.

Old
06-08-2013, 08:46 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Let's make a different between size in a prospect and size in a team please. Size for a prospect isn't important. What's important is if you fill your team with undersized players...THEN it becomes important. If the idea is to build a bigger team around a prospect like Petan, I have no problem with picking him #25. So my take about not picking Petan in the 1st has nothing to do with his size. Just that I prefer other players better. In the end, it's all about what the management has in their heads. When they picked Price is because they knew before us that Theodore could be done soon. Well if they love Petan, you have to hope that they are not idiots and will surround him greatly seeing how this conference will be tougher next year and seeing how the playoffs are a tough place to play in.

Last edited by Whitesnake: 06-08-2013 at 08:55 PM.
Old
06-08-2013, 08:57 PM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
Thing is balance really comes down to developing his lower body, he's still a very skinny kid and there's definitely pro-level growth that needs to happen there in the weight room.

His feet are fast and I believe that is key, if he works on lateral agility in an off-season, I don't see how he couldn't develop it, he already seems to have the quick-twitch development in his lower body to be able to separate with speed like he does.

If we want local talent, this is the guy.

Closed Thread