HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 10.0

Closed Thread

Old
06-08-2013, 09:05 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

vCash: 500
Grant, not sure if you responded to that alraedy, but what's your take on Trevor's comment about his sleeper pick in the newspaper....that's really not him is it?

Old
06-08-2013, 09:17 PM
hogtownhabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Thing is balance really comes down to developing his lower body, he's still a very skinny kid and there's definitely pro-level growth that needs to happen there in the weight room.

His feet are fast and I believe that is key, if he works on lateral agility in an off-season, I don't see how he couldn't develop it, he already seems to have the quick-twitch development in his lower body to be able to separate with speed like he does.

If we want local talent, this is the guy.
Just to be clear, if Mantha and Poirier were both on the board, and you had to take one, you'd take Poirier over Mantha?

Old
06-08-2013, 09:21 PM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Thing is balance really comes down to developing his lower body, he's still a very skinny kid and there's definitely pro-level growth that needs to happen there in the weight room.

His feet are fast and I believe that is key, if he works on lateral agility in an off-season, I don't see how he couldn't develop it, he already seems to have the quick-twitch development in his lower body to be able to separate with speed like he does.

If we want local talent, this is the guy.
I would have him behing Drouin(obviously), Mantha, Gauthier and Dauphin. I personally wouldnt touch him with the 1st 3 picks. I think he should go somewhere between 40-45. If he wasnt from Quebec noone here would be talking about him with those picks.

Central scouting services has him at #39 in North American skaters.

Old
06-08-2013, 09:22 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Just to be clear, if Mantha and Poirier were both on the board, and you had to take one, you'd take Poirier over Mantha?
I'd be curious if the choice was between Dauphin and Poirier.

Old
06-08-2013, 09:34 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeHabsMan View Post
I would have him behing Drouin(obviously), Mantha, Gauthier and Dauphin. I personally wouldnt touch him with the 1st 3 picks. I think he should go somewhere between 40-45. If he wasnt from Quebec noone here would be talking about him with those picks.

Central scouting released their rankings months ago. Poirier's impressive playoff shot him up on many other lists. He's 26 on McKeen's, 27 on HP and was 21 on RLR's May rankings. He's trending in the right direction at the right time and I think he'll be long gone before 40-45 where you predict he'll go.

Old
06-08-2013, 09:35 PM
Top Corner2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
But seriously... Someone will have to tell me how... Without playing, both Poirier and Dauphin went from ''Okay'' in the early 2nd to a 20-40 range for sure ? I hate draft hype ....
actually it's just that information takes time to trickle down....

Old
06-08-2013, 09:38 PM
phillytennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
!st pick...25th...Horvat, Mantha, Gauthier, Morin, McCoshen, Morissey, Erne
2nd pick...34th...Laurent Dauphin
3rd pick...36th...…mile Poirier, Nic Petan, Steven Santini
4th pick...55th...Justin Bailey, William Carrier, Olivier Bjorstrand, Diaby
5th pick...71th...Nick Baptiste
6th pick...85th...Hudson Fasching

Old
06-08-2013, 09:51 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
I'd take Poirier without a doubt over Mantha. Poirier has a lot more compete in him and has more jam to his game. You can tell he thinks the game better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeHabsMan View Post

This is me talking. If anything, I am known for under-rating Q players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
Poirier again. Dauphin might edge in the IQ and hockey sense department but Poirier has a very good shot, better frame and more explosiveness to his game. Those are important to have at the next level.

Old
06-08-2013, 09:55 PM
24get

vCash: 650
Quote:
But as Craig Button pointed out, the majority of steals fell because of size concerns, and size is easily the most overrated aspect in a prospect. The bigger question is strength, and willingness to use it....

For forwards at least. On D size alone does help.
Agreed.
But our problem is that we need size.

Size will come through either draft, Pro scouting or UFA.

As far as draft is concerned, we have size in defense: Tinordi, Dietz, Pateryn, Ellis and Nygren.
Two of them can be considered as tough: Tinordi and Dietz.

But on offense, we have very little size and even less toughness.

Old
06-08-2013, 09:57 PM
V-2 Schneider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
He has an awkward stride, but I would say he is a good skater.

You call him awkward and only a good skater??? He's a great skater.He can fly.If only Gauthier and Dickinson had this sort of awkward stride and speed...

Old
06-08-2013, 09:58 PM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-2 Schneider View Post
You call him awkward and only a good skater??? He's a great skater.He can fly.If only Gauthier and Dickinson had this sort of awkward stride and speed...
Dickinson is a good skater, his speed is more deceptive.. definitely not as explosive as Poirier's though. You can see that in a straight line, Poirier is pretty hard to catch.

Old
06-08-2013, 10:06 PM
V-2 Schneider

Dickinson's speed is certainly deceptive.It fooled me.I prefer to trust my own lying eyes, and if it's a choice between speedsters like Poirier or De La Rose and plodders like Gauthier, I'll take the former everytime.I can't hope and wish that all that deceptive speed one day materializes in the fullness of time.Would you rather have taken Simon Gagne or Eric Chouinard? Both has lots of potential, but only one had NHL speed.

Old
06-08-2013, 10:16 PM
Tyson

Poirier is a excellent skater!

Old
06-08-2013, 10:36 PM
uocooco

Quote:
Dickinson is a good skater, his speed is more deceptive.. definitely not as explosive as Poirier's though. You can see that in a straight line, Poirier is pretty hard to catch.
I know you like Dickinson, but there's better options IMO. I wouldn't pick him with our first 3 picks.

Old
06-08-2013, 10:37 PM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
Dickinson's speed is certainly deceptive.It fooled me.I prefer to trust my own lying eyes, and if it's a choice between speedsters like Poirier or De La Rose and plodders like Gauthier, I'll take the former everytime.I can't hope and wish that all that deceptive speed one day materializes in the fullness of time.Would you rather have taken Simon Gagne or Eric Chouinard? Both has lots of potential, but only one had NHL speed.
You are severely under-rating Dickinson's skating ability if you think he has slow feet. The guy has NHL capable skating. I'm fine for taking Poirier over Dickinson, I won't argue that point, that's a matter of taste but to discount Dickinson based on his foot speed would be silly, since it's actually very good. He's not as fast in a straight line as Poirier but look at what Grant just said, there's probably no one in the draft faster than Poirier straight ahead.

Old
06-08-2013, 10:46 PM
PricerStopDaPuck
#PrayForBozon

vCash: 250
Quote:
You are severely under-rating Dickinson's skating ability if you think he has slow feet. The guy has NHL capable skating. I'm fine for taking Poirier over Dickinson, I won't argue that point, that's a matter of taste but to discount Dickinson based on his foot speed would be silly, since it's actually very good. He's not as fast in a straight line as Poirier but look at what Grant just said, there's probably no one in the draft faster than Poirier straight ahead.
What is it about Dickinson you like? I've never seen him play so I am curious. Is his skating his top quality? What else does he have going for him?

Old
06-08-2013, 10:47 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Snippin' Yank

vCash: 597
Quote:
You call him awkward and only a good skater???
Many scouting reports call his skating stride awkward. THN draft preview being one of them.

Old
06-08-2013, 10:53 PM
PricerStopDaPuck
#PrayForBozon

vCash: 250
Klimchuk is very speedy aswell there is a video of him doing a speed test and he was flying

Old
06-08-2013, 11:09 PM
hogtownhabsfan

Quote:
I've mentioned it before, but obviously needs to be mentioned again.

The clips in that video are sped up.

Old
06-08-2013, 11:09 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
I'd take Poirier without a doubt over Mantha. Poirier has a lot more compete in him and has more jam to his game. You can tell he thinks the game better.

This is me talking. If anything, I am known for under-rating Q players.

Poirier again. Dauphin might edge in the IQ and hockey sense department but Poirier has a very good shot, better frame and more explosiveness to his game. Those are important to have at the next level.
By an inch, nothing to write home about...

Old
06-08-2013, 11:22 PM
Guilliam

Quote:

He's still faster than everyone else on the ice.

Old
06-08-2013, 11:26 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:

Great technology...so you can speed up 1 guy and let the other ones at regular speed...I want to know how that works...

Old
06-08-2013, 11:31 PM
hogtownhabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilliam View Post
He's still faster than everyone else on the ice.
In junior. My concern with him is can he do that in the NHL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Great technology...so you can speed up 1 guy and let the other ones at regular speed...I want to know how that works...
Watch the other players.

Old
06-08-2013, 11:39 PM
habs76sk
Rookie User

Hey All,

As a first time poster, I'd like to get everyones take on a few things.

1. There has been much discussion about quebec prospects on these boards. Now, being a western guy, I have to say, I always hate the faction of habs fans clamouring for the habs to draft all french speaking prospects. I want the habs to take BPA (best prospect available, not best player available) at all times regardless of what language they speak. Now in saying that, I really like the QMJHL prospects in this draft. I really like what I hear about Laurent Dauphin. I like to look beyond this season at what the prospect has done in past seasons. Dauphin has been a consistent point producer at every level and has drawn pretty high praise from scouts at the U-18s. I have only seen him on tape but I would not be disapointed if we take him in the 1st round. I know his upside has been rated as 2nd line center, but I think he could be at the top end of second line centers if you give him time to develop. I am also very high on Morgan Klimchuk if anyone wishes to compare/contrast the two.

2. The WHL D. Almost every year, the dub produces a few nhl defencemen. I think this year is no exception. And, this could be a banner year for whl D. There have been various rankings and opinions of all these guys, but I would like to get peoples take on the following:

Josh Morrissey
Madison Bowey
Ryan Pulock
Dillon Heatherington
Mirco Mueller
Shea Theodore

I know the habs do not have a need for D-prospects, but this may be the year to fill the cupboard on D (think drafting price when we had theodore).

3. Upside. I think we need to draft on upside and potential. It doesn't matter who the better player is now, it matters who the better player will be in four years time. You can have busts like Fischer, but you can also hit homeruns like pacioretty and subban.

Thanks all, and go easy on me.

Old
06-08-2013, 11:43 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
The thing is, the other players also are better.... Its not the Q that takes this draft over the others... Its all the players.

Yes he his. Pretty explosive.

Take it down a notch please.
We have three picks in the 25-38 range, we can afford to get role players.
Actually, this year, the locals seem to be the better dudes.

Closed Thread