HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Eskimos and CFL thread: Esks in camp

Closed Thread

Old
06-06-2013, 01:37 PM
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter

vCash: 1255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead View Post
Yeah I can't speak to Koch's play as I haven't watched enough CFL in the last couple years but name-calling is pretty excessive. Rag on his play for sure but calling someone garbage implies more than just a bad football player.
I think people were describing the quality of his play, not making a point about the person.
I think his efforts on the field at the position he was paid for could be classified as garbage.
doesn't mean we feel the same about him as a person.
I think it is a fair assumption that comments people make about players generally refer to their performance on the playing surface and do not refer to them personally, unless otherwise stated.

Old
06-06-2013, 01:41 PM
Ser Woof
Pull the trigger

vCash: 86
Looking amazing, CW... For an almost 35 year old stadium, she's still going strong and is probably the nicest in the country after BC place even taking the new Winnipeg and Saskatchewan stadiums into account.

I just wish they'd put an LED ribbon now where the wall of honor names are and replace the endzone scoreboard with something a little more up to date.

Old
06-06-2013, 02:05 PM
chrisj

vCash: 500
I also wish we could magically make that track disapear... but oh well.

Old
06-06-2013, 03:23 PM
Trufflepig

Im glad the seats are finally done, that looks really sharp. Now lets modernize the rest of the building a bit more!

Old
06-06-2013, 03:58 PM
Ser Woof
Pull the trigger

vCash: 86
Think they still have to do some of the East side yet... but it's getting there.

As for the track... yeah. I'm just glad they got rid of that damn fence they had a couple years ago.

Old
06-06-2013, 04:12 PM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
so you predict at LEAST 10 wins, but when it comes to a bet, all of a sudden you say 9?
If you were negotiating a bet, wouldn't you seek an advantage if you could? I say 10 but offered nine. Is this hard to understand? I still think we'll get 10 wins.

Old
06-06-2013, 04:20 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
If you were negotiating a bet, wouldn't you seek an advantage if you could? I say 10 but offered nine. Is this hard to understand? I still think we'll get 10 wins.
I think Gord has a point. You boldly predict 10 wins or more in mutiple posts but when it comes to putting your avatar where your mouth is you relent and say 9 wins.

I think you should probably negotiate the hell out of this and go with 8 wins just to be on the safe side.

Old
06-06-2013, 04:29 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
I am not going to predict how many wins the team gets but I will say that it has to be an improvement from last season.

2012 has the distinction of showcasing the worst QB display this team has seen in at least 30 years.

The QB'ing this season has to be better than absolute garbage we witnessed last season and (even if everything else doesn't improve) that in and of itself should make the team better and more enjoyable to watch.

BTW...the new seats look good.

Last edited by guymez: 06-06-2013 at 04:34 PM.
Old
06-06-2013, 04:33 PM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

gotta love the random yellow seats in the sea of green

Old
06-06-2013, 05:38 PM
Copperhead

Quote:
I think people were describing the quality of his play, not making a point about the person.
I think his efforts on the field at the position he was paid for could be classified as garbage.
doesn't mean we feel the same about him as a person.
I think it is a fair assumption that comments people make about players generally refer to their performance on the playing surface and do not refer to them personally, unless otherwise stated.
Yeah I understand that is likely what they meant but I still think there are better ways to refer to his play on the field.

If someone said "Koch's play is garbage" I'd be fine with that. But no matter their intentions saying "Koch is garbage" sounds pretty ugly.

Old
06-06-2013, 05:44 PM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
I think Gord has a point. You boldly predict 10 wins or more in mutiple posts but when it comes to putting your avatar where your mouth is you relent and say 9 wins.

I think you should probably negotiate the hell out of this and go with 8 wins just to be on the safe side.
I'd also bet on 10 wins.

Old
06-07-2013, 05:45 PM
MoneyGuy

Anyone else besides me going to fan day tomorrow? I know they have to put on a show so it's not quite the practice that a real one is, but I still enjoy it. See you there...maybe.

Old
06-07-2013, 08:55 PM
Chooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWoof View Post
Looking amazing, CW... For an almost 35 year old stadium, she's still going strong and is probably the nicest in the country after BC place even taking the new Winnipeg and Saskatchewan stadiums into account.

I just wish they'd put an LED ribbon now where the wall of honor names are and replace the endzone scoreboard with something a little more up to date.
Now all they need to do is change the name to Lambeu field.

Old
06-07-2013, 10:36 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chooch View Post
Now all they need to do is change the name to Lambeu field.
Makes sense

Old
06-07-2013, 11:30 PM
Samwise Gagner
We suck.

How full does that thing get for an average regular season game?

I'm from/live in Calgary so on the rare occasions I attempt to follow the CFL (I'm a big NFL guy, no disrespect but 3 downs just isn't my thing) I just use the stamps as my go to team and usually McMahon seems to be around 75% full on average. CW looks massive though for a CFL stadium, I'd be pretty impressed if you guys sold it out.

Old
06-08-2013, 12:12 AM
Rawg
CEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwise Gagner View Post
How full does that thing get for an average regular season game?

I'm from/live in Calgary so on the rare occasions I attempt to follow the CFL (I'm a big NFL guy, no disrespect but 3 downs just isn't my thing) I just use the stamps as my go to team and usually McMahon seems to be around 75% full on average. CW looks massive though for a CFL stadium, I'd be pretty impressed if you guys sold it out.
You're right, CW holds what, 62,000 people at most? we rarely get that though, esp lately, teams bad/mismanaged lots of people dont show, Id say we average 33-35k a night, 45k+ during free tickets to kids/riders games

Old
06-08-2013, 09:12 AM
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawg View Post
You're right, CW holds what, 62,000 people at most? we rarely get that though, esp lately, teams bad/mismanaged lots of people dont show, Id say we average 33-35k a night, 45k+ during free tickets to kids/riders games
last couple of years the esks have often struggled to hit 30K
with the crappy team and management over the last 6 years, the esks should be thanking their gods that so many people still show up.
bless the rider fans. I hate them, but they sure have given the esks a lot of money the last few years. rider fans alone have probably paid for the new seats.

Old
06-08-2013, 10:07 AM
Samwise Gagner
We suck.

So similar overall attendance numbers. I've heard talks about us getting a new stadium or at least having heavy renovations done to McMahon but I'm not sure they can really justify it until they actually selll out the 45,000 seats we already have... Even if they are mostly just crappy bench seats.

Old
06-08-2013, 09:50 PM
oilers4life5

Why the two different types of green?

Old
06-09-2013, 09:44 AM
Six in O6

Quote:
last couple of years the esks have often struggled to hit 30K
with the crappy team and management over the last 6 years, the esks should be thanking their gods that so many people still show up.
bless the rider fans. I hate them, but they sure have given the esks a lot of money the last few years. rider fans alone have probably paid for the new seats.
I don't think struggled is the right word. The seasonal average is consistently over 30k, so the one or two games a year when the weather gets bad and we draw 28k for a Tiger-Cats game is more the exception than the rule.

Personally, I'd love to see the day we get back up to 35k consistently and have those big CGY and SASK games at 50k+.

Old
06-09-2013, 10:09 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six in O6 View Post
I don't think struggled is the right word. The seasonal average is consistently over 30k, so the one or two games a year when the weather gets bad and we draw 28k for a Tiger-Cats game is more the exception than the rule.

Personally, I'd love to see the day we get back up to 35k consistently and have those big CGY and SASK games at 50k+.
This could be tough to do. Close to a decade of piss poor teams and bad home game experience has led to a lot of change in behavior and people that just don't care about the team or product anymore.

You're reading somebody that used to attend TC for fun, that used to follow the club religiously, that can barely even read an article about them now.

Through years of org incompetence I've let it go. moved on. For years its been show me time. Somehow last season I really tried to bring the optimism and stay behind the club. I feel like I spent up the last remaining connection to org doing that.

I imagine I'll go to games because I like attending anything at Commonwealth. I won't have meaningful connection with any other player than Fred Stamps. I'll know more about opponent teams coming in here then I will about present day Eskimos. Kind of a reflection on how bad the turnstile has been here.

This is essentially an expansion club. Maybe call them GreenGold.

Last edited by Replacement: 06-09-2013 at 10:29 AM.
Old
06-09-2013, 10:14 AM
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

Old
06-09-2013, 12:56 PM
Krut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
This could be tough to do. Close to a decade of piss poor teams and bad home game experience has led to a lot of change in behavior and people that just don't care about the team or product anymore.

You're reading somebody that used to attend TC for fun, that used to follow the club religiously, that can barely even read an article about them now.

Through years of org incompetence I've let it go. moved on. For years its been show me time. Somehow last season I really tried to bring the optimism and stay behind the club. I feel like I spent up the last remaining connection to org doing that.

I imagine I'll go to games because I like attending anything at Commonwealth. I won't have meaningful connection with any other player than Fred Stamps. I'll know more about opponent teams coming in here then I will about present day Eskimos. Kind of a reflection on how bad the turnstile has been here.

Same with me in a way. I used to love everything Eskimos, but they have gradually died for me over the last few years especially.

Losing hasn't affected my love or attention to the Oilers one iota, but it has for the Esks. I think a lot of it has to do with the timing of the games. It's hard to justify wasting a Friday/Saturday night in the summer watching a garbage football team when there are 1000 other things to be doing.

Sitting in the stands watching the Esks get killed is hard to stomach when you know you could be at the cabin fishing in the sun with a few cold brews instead.

Old
06-09-2013, 01:20 PM
Samwise Gagner
We suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six in O6 View Post

We definitely sell out the sask games here, unfortunately at least 75% (And that's a conservative guess) is wearing green

Not as good a feeling as the 8-2 blowout game of the flames where the let's go oilers chant would drown out the go flames go haha.

Old
06-09-2013, 03:46 PM
abootzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krut View Post
Same with me in a way. I used to love everything Eskimos, but they have gradually died for me over the last few years especially.

Losing hasn't affected my love or attention to the Oilers one iota, but it has for the Esks.
I am the exact opposite of you. If you switched the words 'Oilers' and 'Esks' you would sum up my feelings perfectly.

Last night even my in-laws were noticing that not only was I not watching the Blackhawks/Kings game, I didn't even know that they were playing and that the defending Cup champs were facing elimination. Starting during the '06-07 season the Oilers losing ways (and their gutless way of losing) have almost completely turned me off of NHL hockey. Meanwhile, I renewed my Eskimos season tickets this year without a second thought despite the Maciocia & Tillman reigns of error and no Grey Cup wins since 2005.

Closed Thread