HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

OT: Ottawa CFL Team offically named RedBlacks

Closed Thread

Old
06-09-2013, 01:47 AM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

vCash: 500
if the idea was to give the team a generic non-name to allow fans to project the Riders onto the team then why not something like the "Ottawa Football Club"? There's nothing wrong with being named after a color, by the way (Harvard Crimson, Stanford Cardinal, Alabama Crimson Tide, Cincinnati Reds, Syracuse Orange), but combining two words together to create a nonsense concept is ridiculous... call them the Reds and nobody would have said two words about it.

Hell, there's always the example of those legendary Grey Cup champs... the Baltimore CFLers

Old
06-09-2013, 02:05 AM
Finnish your Czech
Jermain Defriend

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky01 View Post
Don't get me wrong, I really like it. It sounds like a name that you would have for a team that has existed for 100 years and just never got around to coming up with anything. Since they can't use Roughriders, I would say they did the next best thing. To be honest, I think it would be cool if they just called them Ottawa FC (obviously stealing the traditional 'nickname' from soccer).

I heard rumours of a jersey with a lumberjack pattern on it though? Please tell me that isn't true! They just need a classic red and black uniform.
That would be terrible if they named it Ottawa FC.

People would think it's a soccer club.

06-09-2013, 07:24 AM
HugoSimon

I like the name it reminds me of the all blacks, now if they could simply make the cfl closer to the rule book of rugby

Old
06-09-2013, 07:57 AM
berklon

Reckitt Benckiser should buy the team and change the name slightly for marketing.

Old
06-09-2013, 08:22 AM
archangel archangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelpoRafaKilla View Post
I Love the Highlanders name. There can be only one.
Highlanders would have been better

Old
06-09-2013, 08:33 AM
Dysentery
Ottawa Senators

Love the RedBlacks!!

MOD

Last edited by Fugu: 06-09-2013 at 11:32 AM. Reason: ...
Old
06-09-2013, 08:57 AM
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital O TEETEE 613 View Post
Love the RedBlacks!!
The problem I have.
What's a RedBlack?
Not even a real word.
At least if you want something made up go with The Red N' Black
Or Red N' Black (s)

Old
06-09-2013, 09:34 AM
Dysentery
Ottawa Senators

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKLYnKNIGHTS View Post
The problem I have.
What's a RedBlack?
Not even a real word.
At least if you want something made up go with The Red N' Black
Or Red N' Black (s)
A RedBlack is a player on the Ottawa CFL team. Thats it. Why does it have to be something else.

No it's not a real word, all words start off not real, haha.

Old
06-09-2013, 09:43 AM
Mrkus

Probably someone proposing names like "Blue Bombers" Syracuse's "Orange” or Cleveland’s ‘Browns” in 2013 would not get a great reaction either. I have to admit that at first when I heard the name I thought it was awful, but over the last few weeks I can see allot of potential in the Name “REDBLACKS” The creators came up with a Perfectly unique name, using traditional Ottawa colours, and we keep the “R” in our name. It reminds me of one of the best nicknames in all of sports: the New Zealand “All Blacks.”

Old
06-09-2013, 09:48 AM
StikTBo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tough Guy View Post
That is the not French translation to RedBlacks.
It is still the name they are going to use in French, which is fine by me.

Old
06-09-2013, 09:57 AM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkus View Post
Probably someone proposing names like "Blue Bombers" Syracuse's "Orange” or Cleveland’s ‘Browns” in 2013 would not get a great reaction either. I have to admit that at first when I heard the name I thought it was awful, but over the last few weeks I can see allot of potential in the Name “REDBLACKS” The creators came up with a Perfectly unique name, using traditional Ottawa colours, and we keep the “R” in our name. It reminds me of one of the best nicknames in all of sports: the New Zealand “All Blacks.”
Except that 'All Blacks' is two separate words that weren't combined to make a really dumb sounding name. This may be the worst name I've ever heard for a team. The Ottawa RedBlacks??? Here comes another folded CFL franchise for Ottawa

Old
06-09-2013, 10:01 AM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital O TEETEE 613 View Post
Maple Leafs, Maple Leaves.
The 'Maple Leafs' was the name of a Canadian battalion in WW1.

The name makes perfect sense. A player on the team is a 'Maple Leaf'. Therefore, the team is correctly called the 'Maple Leafs'. It's grammatically correct. It's not like they're called MapleLeafs.

Old
06-09-2013, 10:21 AM
canadiancreed
Exiled from paradise

Quote:
I can't speak to the Syracuse Orange history, but the Blue Bombers moniker didn't come into existence until the team already existed, and had a tie in with the team partially. Here's the wikis for history on where the name came from.

Quote:
For its first six years, the team did not have an official name and was usually called "the Winnipegs" by fans and the press. In 1936, during a game against the University of North Dakota, Winnipeg Tribune sports writer Vince Leah remarked "these are the Blue Bombers of Western football." This phrase was referring to then heavyweight champion Joe Louis, known as the Brown Bomber. From that day forward the team has been known as the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. In that same year, the Blue Bombers, Calgary Bronks and Regina Roughriders formed the Western Interprovincial Football Union as the highest level of play in Western Canada.
so it doesn't' really match this situation. In fact it looks like Joe Louis's moniker inspired two teams on this list...

Quote:
The name of the team was at first left up to Paul Brown, who rejected calls for it to be christened the Browns. The franchise then held a naming contest to publicize the team, promising a $1,000 war bond to the winner. In June 1945, a committee selected "Panthers" as the new team's name. McBride, however, changed it to the Browns two months later, the result of another naming contest that suggested Browns, not after Paul Brown himself, but as a shortened version of Brown Bombers, a reference to the nickname of boxer Joe Louis. Some sources say McBride was asked for thousands of dollars in compensation from a businessman who owned the rights to the name Cleveland Panthers, an earlier failed football team.
Which I suppose would be smiliarish to Toronto naming the team the Raptors (since Joe Louis had no tie in with Cleveland, and brown is not a colour Cleveland teams were well known for), other then boxing being one of the biggest sport draws in the US at the time, and Joe Louis being it's biggest star and draw. Different times I suppose.

Either way, still better then naming a team after colours that multiple sport teams in a city use, although I agree keeping the instantly recognizable helmet would be nice.

Old
06-09-2013, 10:27 AM
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS

Quote:
I'm a Syracuse fan and I hate the name.
Cleveland has nothing to do with the color.
St. John's red men or red storm is ok. Still not a fan, I guess it's better than red barons. Or Hofstra Flying Dutchmen is now Pride.
Minnesota wild is awful

Old
06-09-2013, 10:32 AM
Adirondack Flames

They should have gone with Double R or Red Riders, then it insinuates Rough Riders without actually being called that.

Old
06-09-2013, 10:33 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quo View Post
RedBlack is not an abstraction on the level of Prince's little dohicky. Red is a colour. Black is a colour. People know what they are. The logical jump required to imagine the conjunctive between the two (as it's presented in French) is minimal. We are red and black. MacGregor Tartan.... I can give RedBlacks a chance.
Well, it doesnt look like you nor the people of Ottawa, CFL fans have any choice in the matter. Youve gotta "give it a chance" & unfortunately now defend the selection. That its perfectly valid. But you'll have to do better than selling it as RedBlack harkening back to the Highlands & tartans. Rob Roy & Clan MacGregor. All that does is invoke images of Liam Neesom & the hilarious Tim Roth going at each other with over-sized cutlery. Or your other suggestion, Red Coats "Standing on Guard for Thee" outside the Parliament Buildings. An image guaranteed to alienate rather than welcome Francophones. A constant reminder on subconscious levels through the translation of "colour", more powerful than language of every battle lost to the English & the Centuries of persecution & subjugation that followed. Or fancifully that the iconic red & black Lumberjack shirt was a uniquely Canadian & American tog, stirring thoughts of yodeling slap happy Stevedores off in the woods, dancing across log jams in roaring rivers like Big Joe Mufferaw & Paul Bunyan... until adopted by Bikers, Stoners, formal wear for RedNecks....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcrazycanuck View Post
Highlanders would have been better
That works provided were talkin a Hurley, Rugby, FC or even a hockey team.... over a pint of J&J Morisons India Pale Ale at Tappie Toories Pub in Dunfermline, Royal Burgh of Fife Scotland.

Old
06-09-2013, 10:50 AM
David_99

My problem is more with the logo then the name. The saw blade!? I know what it represents but it looks Minor League.

Would something like this be too much to ask!?

Old
06-09-2013, 10:53 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
The 'Maple Leafs' was the name of a Canadian battalion in WW1.

The name makes perfect sense. A player on the team is a 'Maple Leaf'. Therefore, the team is correctly called the 'Maple Leafs'. It's grammatically correct. It's not like they're called MapleLeafs.
Actually, there was no WWI Maple Leaf regiment or battalion from Ontario, at least not as far as can be told. More likely, the team was named after the Maple Leaf regimental badges that most Canadian units wore, but over the course of time that got confused into representing a Maple Leaf Regiment badge. That, and the team just so happened to be given the exact same name as a baseball team that was, at the time, far more popular than the hockey team but which obviously faded into oblivion since then.

http://1967ers.wordpress.com/2012/05...led-the-leafs/

Old
06-09-2013, 11:26 AM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
Would something like this be too much to ask!?

I like the one with the "B" inside the "R" - that resembles the old helmet.

Old
06-09-2013, 11:34 AM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

People know the All Blacks isn't a team name, right? It's just a popular nickname for the NZ national team... it's like calling the Habs the bleu blanc et rouge.

Old
06-09-2013, 11:36 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Actually, there was no WWI Maple Leaf regiment or battalion from Ontario, at least not as far as can be told. More likely, the team was named after the Maple Leaf regimental badges that most Canadian units wore, but over the course of time that got confused into representing a Maple Leaf Regiment badge. That, and the team just so happened to be given the exact same name as a baseball team that was, at the time, far more popular than the hockey team but which obviously faded into oblivion since then.
Absolutely correct (no such Regiment existed). Indeed, the myth's surrounding the origins of Smythes landing on the Maple Leaf name are just that, myths. Stories... fiction. Yes, the Canadians wore a Maple Leaf badge on their uniforms, but I for one dont believe whatsoever that it was the inspiration for naming the club that. When he bought the St.Patricks, as hard as it might be to imagine, pro hockey in Toronto wasnt as popular as it is today, relatively new, Senior & Junior amateur teams on par with & in some cases more popular. The St.Pats were named such to appeal to the large Irish Catholic population in Toronto at that time, and with shifting demographics, Smythe decided to re-brand, not unusual in the 19th & early 20th Centuries for teams in any given city to share names & colours. The Toronto Maple Leafs Baseball Club was extremely successful & popular, had been for over 30yrs.

One of Smythes Mentors & a financier, a wealthy industrialist by the name of J.P. Bickell sat on the Board of the Maple Leafs Baseball Club and I believe facilitated Smythes desires to essentially co-opt & use the name in appealing to that audience without compensating the Baseball Team, using the name & team colours. Today of course their would be issues of Copyright etc, but back then, a nod was as good as a wink, and with friends in high places, Smythe got his wish. When asked why he'd settled on Maple Leafs, he trots out this Mothers Milk story of loyalty & fealty, "we are all Marshall", that he was inspired by our brave boys dying on the field of battle, of courage & sacrifice. Wonderful story, and Im sure if anyone had had the temerity & gall to call him on it, Conn mightve replied with his fists. Bickell was also instrumental in arranging financing for Maple Leaf Gardens, long-time Board Member.

Old
06-09-2013, 11:54 AM
Quo
storms in my knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Well, it doesnt look like you nor the people of Ottawa, CFL fans have any choice in the matter.
It sure doesn't. So as my first act of support for this team I refuse to begin whining about what their name is. It does not make me wretch. I'll stand by that.

The choice was more about preserving the 'R' than anything else it seems to me. The rascals in Saskatchewan won't budge on the Rough Rider name. Well we're taking our damned logo back at least.

The Roosevelt rough-rider regiment, MacGregor tartan, Liam Neeson flitting about with Tim Roth, les mauvais Anglais, Big Joe Mufferaw and his log-driving companions...all ancillary imagery with their own pluses and minuses. All that shows, as Hunt said, is that the canvas is immensely fill-able and highly adaptable in the long run.

With the logo being a saw-blade it's not too late for Big Joe to make an appearance just yet as an over-sized plush get-up.

Old
06-09-2013, 11:55 AM
Mrkus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKLYnKNIGHTS View Post
I'm a Syracuse fan and I hate the name.
Cleveland has nothing to do with the color.
St. John's red men or red storm is ok. Still not a fan, I guess it's better than red barons. Or Hofstra Flying Dutchmen is now Pride.
Minnesota wild is awful
The Original Rough Riders back in 1876 wore Red and Black they took their colours from the Royal Canadian Regiment. as well as Ottawa’s newer CFL teams. The Original Ottawa Senators back in the 1900”s wore Red and Black striped jerseys as do the Senators of today and the 67‘s. Ottawa sports teams and Red and Black go back a long way. Promoting a teams colors will bring allot of pride to the team and their fans.

Old
06-09-2013, 12:41 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quo View Post
...the canvas is immensely fill-able and highly adaptable in the long run.
... it is that. Should prove interesting & amusing to see where they go with it, and
when you get right down to the nitty gritty thats really what its all about, entertainment.

Old
06-09-2013, 01:04 PM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

I think in twenty years people will think it is a timeless name.

Closed Thread