HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Head Coach Vacancy Pt IV — Rangers get permission to speak to Ruff

Closed Thread

Old
06-08-2013, 11:24 PM
Ryan McDonut
Re-sign Glass

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCresty View Post
Ruff: bad, long time coach but no result.
AV, Tippett: "defensive", no puck POSSESSION.
Eakins: Gone.
Messier: Bad. Fake job.
Bylsma: Overrated, only won once with all star team.
Maurice: bad. No excuse needed.

No matter who is hired, this board will **** itself
i think the bylsma hate is unfair. the pens defensemen + goalie is by no means an all-star defense, they just have an offense. we have hank, staal, McD, and girardi. much better defensive core than the pens

Old
06-08-2013, 11:40 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Tippett is still the best option imo

Stay away from Blysma, even though i do think hes a decent coach. Ruff rubs me the wrong way but i wouldnt be beside myself if they hired him. However, I would be if Mess or Gretz got the job. AV is probably my second choice if they cant get Tippett. I think it could be him when the dust settles anyway.

Old
06-08-2013, 11:53 PM
Machinehead
1st pair Boyle

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Tippet has been quoted saying that puck possession is a key cog to an elite defensive system. He uses puck possession as a way of 'defending' in that when his time has the puck, the other team can't score.
Where have I heard that before? Oh yeah....

Right after he said "safe is death"

Click here for Brassard Party
Old
06-09-2013, 03:43 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Seems kinda odd since the Coyotes haven't exactly been world-beaters in most advanced stats involving puck possession. Also seems odd as Dallas was pretty average too. I think every coach wants to preach out puck possession hockey.
Not Torts...

Old
06-09-2013, 03:51 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Tippett is still the best option imo

Stay away from Blysma, even though i do think hes a decent coach. Ruff rubs me the wrong way but i wouldnt be beside myself if they hired him. However, I would be if Mess or Gretz got the job. AV is probably my second choice if they cant get Tippett. I think it could be him when the dust settles anyway.
Yeah, I am not quite sold that media have interpreted Tippets comments correctly.

TO me it sounded like he was anything but committed to PHX. He described himself being in the same situation as a player who can test the FA market; and we all know that they like to do that. He said that he -- only -- would be interested in PHX -- if -- their ownership situation is fixed.

I think Tippet is a coach who will see very eye-to-eye with the identity of this team, with McD, Callahan, Girardi, Staal, Stepan, Hank and co., that group is this team and the ones who collectivly got Torts fired.

Old
06-09-2013, 04:12 AM
Mats Zuccarelli
NY Hockey Rangers

My list:

1) Dave Tippett
2/3) Guy Boucher/Alain Vigenault
4) Lindy Ruff

Anyone else would be underwhelming to me (looking at you, Mess and Gretz)

We just have to trust Sather...again. Seriously, it's ridiculous that he's still here. It really is.

And I seem to be in the majority in hoping that neither Mess nor Gretz get the job. For those expecting either one of them to ride in to MSG on a donkey and deliver us a Stanley Cup, well, crazier things have happened, but I don't see it...at least not now. If either of those are truly serious about coaching, they need to either be in the AHL or some other league, or be an assistant coach. I know, the great Messier and Gretzky playing second fiddle to someone else? Well, coaching isn't a hobby and is not something you just inherit. You spend years and years learning the craft. That's not to take away anything from their hockey IQ's because they are two of the greatest minds the sport of hockey has ever seen, but coaching is a different ballgame than playing.

And that Ken Campbell article is absolutely excellent

Old
06-09-2013, 05:34 AM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

I like Tippett too...Bylsma will be eaten alive

Old
06-09-2013, 07:25 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

When does Tippett's contract expire/when can he officially start interviewing with other teams?

Old
06-09-2013, 07:39 AM
MacTruck
In Gordie We Trust

TippetT, Boucher, AV, Ruff in that order.

Old
06-09-2013, 08:32 AM
Maineice11

Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
Quote:
Several individuals within the industry have told Slap Shots Penguins chairman Mario Lemieux, distressed by his team’s fourth straight failure to get out of the Eastern Conference after consecutive trips to the Finals in 2008 and 2009, the latter culminating with a Stanley Cup victory, may instruct Shero to dismiss the coach.
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_...HXqj8j5rQV0WHN

Old
06-09-2013, 09:54 AM
Rust Heisenberg

My top 5 (if all available):

1) Laviolette
2) Weight
3) Vigneault
4) Byslma
5) Tippet

1) He's a pure offensive mind. I'd love to get him teaching this group of guys
2) He's the up and coming candidate of the league. He made the Isles offense and PP click.
3) He'd have won a cup had he had Henrik on his team 2 years ago. Defensive minded however.
4) Offensive minded but unsure if he's a product of the players he has.
5) Similar to Torts. Slightly more offensive. We need an offensive minded coach.

Old
06-09-2013, 09:58 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
My top 5 (if all available):

1) Laviolette
2) Weight
3) Vigneault
4) Byslma
5) Tippet

1) He's a pure offensive mind. I'd love to get him teaching this group of guys
2) He's the up and coming candidate of the league. He made the Isles offense and PP click.
3) He'd have won a cup had he had Henrik on his team 2 years ago. Defensive minded however.
4) Offensive minded but unsure if he's a product of the players he has.
5) Similar to Torts. Slightly more offensive. We need an offensive minded coach.
Love this idea. Wish he were getting serious consideration.

Also, re: Laviolette - is he rumored to be available? He's who I wanted back when we hired Torts.

Old
06-09-2013, 10:16 AM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Love this idea. Wish he were getting serious consideration.

Also, re: Laviolette - is he rumored to be available? He's who I wanted back when we hired Torts.
Lavi has been rumored on the hot seat since mid season. Nothings happened yet but I wouldn't be surprised if he was fired.

Weight was also a rumored option but there is no talk out of Rangers camp besides speculation from Pierre McGuire and Larry Brooks. So I have no idea.

Those are my top 2 options. Wish 1 of the 2 became available.

Old
06-09-2013, 10:39 AM
Jackpot
Registered Abuser

I'll take Guy Boucher over the Old Timers club boys. .. Need someone like Guy who can get inside these guys head's. .

Old
06-09-2013, 10:40 AM
Richter Scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
Give it a rest already. ..
You are hardly in a position to talk. Throughout this entire season, there were barely any threads that one could read and not have it eventually devolve into a cacophony of idiots screaming "fire Torts!" And you were just as much a part of that mob as anyone else. So, no, thank you very much, we'll not give it a rest - and will keep pointing out how much Sather sucks.

Old
06-09-2013, 10:57 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Where have I heard that before? Oh yeah....

Right after he said "safe is death"
Funny. These guys must be lying to you before they become coach of the Rangers.

....or, just maybe, after gauging the personnel vs. the top teams in the league, the last 2 coaches decided to coach a more defense oriented system.

A new coach mandated to open things up combined with no major depth moves is a recipe for disaster next season. Be careful what you wish for.

Old
06-09-2013, 10:58 AM
KingWantsCup
Grinch who stole...

vCash: 350
Why couldn't the Flyers just let Laviolette go. Ugh.

Old
06-09-2013, 11:00 AM
KingWantsCup
Grinch who stole...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
Lavi has been rumored on the hot seat since mid season. Nothings happened yet but I wouldn't be surprised if he was fired.

Weight was also a rumored option but there is no talk out of Rangers camp besides speculation from Pierre McGuire and Larry Brooks. So I have no idea.

Those are my top 2 options. Wish 1 of the 2 became available.
Laviolette would be MILES better than any other coaching option we have.

Old
06-09-2013, 11:23 AM
KingWantsCup
Grinch who stole...

Question. Why would the Penguins ever let the Rangers talk to Bylsma? He's under contract until next year and the Pens have the right to reject any team they want from talking to him, so why would they take the risk of potentially getting egg on their face if Bylsma proves to do well for a division rival's team?

Old
06-09-2013, 11:25 AM
TCRF
RICK. GNASH

vCash: 476
They fail to advance I'd guess. And I didn't know about Bylsmas contract. Yeah they won't let him Anywhrre near the division

Old
06-09-2013, 11:25 AM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Tippett's contract expires July 5th (start of new league year) He appears to have an agreement in principle to stay in Phoenix if and when the ownership situation is clarified. The Renissance Group has an agreement in place to buy the team from the NHL but does not have an arena lease. They are looking for substantial subsidies from the City of Glendale and negotiations are ongoing. Tippett wants to stay (he just built a new house here) but may choose to leave if ownership is not clarified by that date. He may also sign a one year contract extension.

It is also possible that the Coyotes may not be sold, Tippett may decide to leave and the team stays one more year. There's a draft of the NHL schedule complete that includes Phoenix. What I was told is that the season opens early and there is an Olympic break drawn into the schedule. The team that told me about the draft (not Phoenix, but a team in our new division) has their home opener Friday October 4. Of course a schedule draft doesn't guarantee anything but Coyotes continue to operate business as usual.

Old
06-09-2013, 11:35 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Tippett's contract expires July 5th (start of new league year) He appears to have an agreement in principle to stay in Phoenix if and when the ownership situation is clarified. The Renissance Group has an agreement in place to buy the team from the NHL but does not have an arena lease. They are looking for substantial subsidies from the City of Glendale and negotiations are ongoing. Tippett wants to stay (he just built a new house here) but may choose to leave if ownership is not clarified by that date. He may also sign a one year contract extension.

It is also possible that the Coyotes may not be sold, Tippett may decide to leave and the team stays one more year. There's a draft of the NHL schedule complete that includes Phoenix. What I was told is that the season opens early and there is an Olympic break drawn into the schedule. The team that told me about the draft (not Phoenix, but a team in our new division) has their home opener Friday October 4. Of course a schedule draft doesn't guarantee anything but Coyotes continue to operate business as usual.
Very interesting thanks for sharing.

What is your take on this Bop, put yourself in Tips shoes, what would you do at this point in your coaching career weighing both the Yotes and NYR's situations ?

Old
06-09-2013, 12:25 PM
Hire Sather
4 MORE YEARS!

Send a message via AIM to Hire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Funny. These guys must be lying to you before they become coach of the Rangers.

....or, just maybe, after gauging the personnel vs. the top teams in the league, the last 2 coaches decided to coach a more defense oriented system.

A new coach mandated to open things up combined with no major depth moves is a recipe for disaster next season. Be careful what you wish for.
I wished more people realized this.

Old
06-09-2013, 12:25 PM
Maineice11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post

You must have a source on this, but all reports I have read stretching from Ranger reporters and TSN reporters say his contract ends on June 30th. I'm just looking for clarification.

Old
06-09-2013, 12:31 PM
Maineice11

Is Ralph Kreuger a possible option for headcoach of the Rangers? More so, does anyone know his style? This was his only season in the NHL and his previous coaching experience was over in Switzerland. So I was looking for more information on him.

Closed Thread