HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jake Gardiner for 7th overall pick (EDM)

Old
06-09-2013, 12:29 PM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

vCash: 500
Jake Gardiner for 7th overall pick (EDM)

1. Edmonton just hired Dallas Eakins (developed Gardiner)
2. Edmonton has Justin Schultz (Gardiner's college teammate)
3. Edmonton is looking for a top pairing young defenceman

Gardiner was tremendous in the playoffs and has shown that he can be a top pairing defenceman. He is still only 22 years old and would fit in perfectly with the young core of the Edmonton Oilers. Now that Eakins is in Edmonton and the Maple Leafs are in a situation where they can/should make a big move to add a top notch young centre, this seems to be one of those situations that could potentially be a good fit.

Four1 Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 12:34 PM
knoxdown

Sort of makes sense.

knoxdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 12:36 PM
exporta

Quickly you will be told, 7th>>>>>>>> Gardiner. Hell probably a lot of people on here will tell you 7th >>>> 21st + Gardiner.

As a Leaf fan, you should know better that to expect kind feed back on the trade boards.

Even deals like Kaberle for Colborne were shot down as over payments... Leafs would need to add ++++ to land JVR for Schenn etc.

You won't get a good response on here, and lLeaf players + prospects are worthless.

exporta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 12:36 PM
WillyBilly1990

vCash: 537
I think the leafs would have to add a third seeing as they could draft Monahan or Lindholm

WillyBilly1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 12:37 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Gardiner View Post
1. Edmonton just hired Dallas Eakins (developed Gardiner)
2. Edmonton has Justin Schultz (Gardiner's college teammate)
3. Edmonton is looking for a top pairing young defenceman

Gardiner was tremendous in the playoffs and has shown that he can be a top pairing defenceman. He is still only 22 years old and would fit in perfectly with the young core of the Edmonton Oilers. Now that Eakins is in Edmonton and the Maple Leafs are in a situation where they can/should make a big move to add a top notch young centre, this seems to be one of those situations that could potentially be a good fit.
Why in god's name would the Leafs trade Gardiner, with the hopes of drafting a player just as good hopefully. and waiting 4 years to see how this player turns out? Seriously?

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

No. We need a top pair D, not to take away a potential one. Gardiner and Franson was an excellent pairing, see us going with them next season on the 2nd pair.

Leafs For Life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Gardiner isn't a top pairing defenseman. The Oilers could just have Nurse at 7, who would probably fill a need a bit better down the road.

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 12:39 PM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

vCash: 50
Gardiner + JVR
For
7th + Gagner + Marincin

Hall2Nuge2Ebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 12:40 PM
Beerfish

If Gardner had picked up where he left off last year instead of living in the minors for a lot of this year it might be more plausable. As it is I wouldn't go for it if I were the oilers.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 12:41 PM
MikeModano9

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
Why in god's name would the Leafs trade Gardiner, with the hopes of drafting a player just as good hopefully. and waiting 4 years to see how this player turns out? Seriously?
IMO Monahan or Lindholm won't be 4 year projects like a college Dman. If either of those players are available the oil would have to keep the pick. Are Center depth compared to our Dman depth is very weak. Not saying Gardiner isn't worth it but it doesn't seem like a good move if those Centers are available.

MikeModano9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 12:45 PM
Duffman955

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugie Boy View Post
Gardiner + JVR
For
7th + Gagner + Marincin
No thank you.

All I hear is oiler fans tooting Gagner's horn. If he is so good, keep him.

Duffman955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

Quote:
Gardiner + JVR
For
7th + Gagner + Marincin
Even worse! Potential top pair+potential top line wing for prospect+weak 2nd line C, would be similar to Bozak on our team producing off of top players+B prospect

Old
HockeyGuruPitka

Gardiners playoffs showed he had top pairing potential. He's untouchable to me. I'd trade Rielly though.

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 12:46 PM
Diatomic
~~~ NAZEM KADRI ~~~

Ah, its risky... Gardiner is... He's shown potential but.. I dont know.

No from me.

Diatomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by exporta View Post
Quickly you will be told, 7th>>>>>>>> Gardiner. Hell probably a lot of people on here will tell you 7th >>>> 21st + Gardiner.

As a Leaf fan, you should know better that to expect kind feed back on the trade boards.

Even deals like Kaberle for Colborne were shot down as over payments... Leafs would need to add ++++ to land JVR for Schenn etc.

You won't get a good response on here, and lLeaf players + prospects are worthless.
Meanwhile I've seen people on the Leafs board reject Scrivens, Frattin and Phaneuf for Taylor Hall and the 7th overall.

Two way streets.

Old
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
I agree. Don't trade Gardiner.

What is the obsession with trading the best players the LEafs have?

Like a 1000 Harold Ballards.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 12:47 PM
firstemperor

There's a reason leaf fans love Gardiner. He's been lights out when he's been healthy. When he's on his game, he's one of the most enjoyable players on the leafs to watch with his skating ability. He has the ability to take over a game with his skating, and has proven he is capable when at his best (i.e against Boston). I watch my fair share of hockey, and when he has his foot moving, he's one of the best puck moving/skate out of danger/traffic defenseman in this league. The prospect of Rielly and Gardiner's mobility at the back-end, a trait I value tremendously in today's NHL keeps me optimistic about our blue line moving forward.

This is a guy with legit top pairing, top PP potential (he may already be there if the Boston sample size means anything). The value is decent if Lindholm or Monahan drop but it certainly makes us a weaker team in at least, the next little while, and has all the potential to bite us in the ass. We're not trading Gardiner for Nurse or Rasmus.

firstemperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 12:49 PM
leafsfuture

If he can play at 75% of his playoff level than he is worth the number 1 pick (no joke). Of course, if he plays like he did in the regular season, no team would trade a top 10 pick.

My end point.... you dont trade an up and coming prospect with NHL games for a draft pick.

leafsfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 12:49 PM
Diatomic
~~~ NAZEM KADRI ~~~

Did you guys see the interview Tim Leiweke had after the leafs were eliminated?

The guy was praising Gardiner like no tomorrow.

If Nonis trades him, he's as good as dead.

Diatomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 12:50 PM
Aela*
#MeatisMurder

Send a message via Skype™ to Aela*
Quote:
Gardiner + JVR
For
7th + Gagner + Marincin
From the Leafs point of view, tempting. Gagner would probably become our #1/#2C quite easily, we would get the 7th ovr and the chance to draft a Nichuskin, Monahan, Horvat etc. Marincin can decently replace Gardiner and has more of a shutdown upside, which is what the Leafs need.

Only problem is we have Grabovski, who is a similar player to Gagner but has proven he produce more points.

Still, I think this deal is worth it, it won't leave us in a worse situation (we can move Gagner to the wing easily), Marincin is at a point in his career that is similar to Gardiner's, and the 7th will allow us to draft a very good prospect.

I think we pull this deal, would suck to lose two of our big assets, but what is coming back is pretty good.

Of course, don't expect others to agree with me.

Aela* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 12:50 PM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
Meanwhile I've seen people on the Leafs board reject Scrivens, Frattin and Phaneuf for Taylor Hall and the 7th overall.

Two way streets.
I'm clearing it up that it was a draft pick, not 7th overall implying it has better chances of 2nd - 7th. You don't say "draft pick" as an add on to imply 7th overall 1st rounder.

Old
06-09-2013, 12:51 PM
Inverted

Gardiner and JVR played a big part in the series against Boston both of whom are fairly young. I just fail to understand why would the Leafs want to trade their top prospects and proven players for futures wait another 2-3 for those players to turn into something.

Inverted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 12:51 PM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan16 View Post
I'm clearing it up that it was a draft pick, not 7th overall implying it has better chances of 2nd - 7th. You don't say "draft pick" as an add on to imply 7th overall 1st rounder.
You're right; somebody said they "might" do it if it was the 7th overall.

Although a 7th rounder wouldn't make it any better.

Old
06-09-2013, 12:52 PM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan16 View Post
Even worse! Potential top pair+potential top line wing for prospect+weak 2nd line C, would be similar to Bozak on our team producing off of top players+B prospect
You would be getting one of Lindholm/Monahan/Nichushkin + a player who was our 1C this year playing with the likes of Paajarvi and a battered Hemsky. Marincin is our 2nd best D prospect besides Klefbom

Hall2Nuge2Ebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 12:52 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

I'd think long and hard about it, that's forsure.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote