HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jake Gardiner for 7th overall pick (EDM)

Old
06-09-2013, 02:34 PM
Aceonfire
Las Vegas Aces

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsWantStanley View Post
Moving Gards for a draft pick is kinda crazy. It makes more sense if EDM would have to give up a young forward that has NHL experience in order to receive a young defense men that has NHL experience.
The problem is the most glaring hole on your roster is a #1C and teams rarely trade those.

If Lindholm or Monahan are available and they likely will be, You could have either of them and Kadri as 1-2 Cs for the next decade.

Edmonton has a #1C but we need a grittier 2C which is tough but not impossible to acquire.

Aceonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 02:35 PM
BarDownBobo

As an Oil fan I think the need is more for a big C, I'd rather make a move involving the pick to get one. We've got Marincin and Klefbom in the system, both of whom have really high potential. And Justin played with Marincin during the lockout and had some great success.

BarDownBobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 02:35 PM
Seachd

vCash: 50
If I'm the Oilers I would pass on that fairly easily. Not that Gardiner isn't a good player, but the 7th is just too high to give up for him.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 02:39 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan16 View Post
Even worse! Potential top pair+potential top line wing for prospect+weak 2nd line C, would be similar to Bozak on our team producing off of top players+B prospect
JVR drafted 2nd overall in 2007. 131 points in 244 games and 32 in 48 this year.
Gagner drafted 6th overall in 2007. 258 in 414 games and 38 in 48 this year.

Gagner has a better career PPG, and has outscored JVR ever season they have both been in the league including this season. And they are the exact same age...

JVR = potential top line wing
Gagner = weak 2nd C

Seems legit.

As for the original op... I would think about it, I really like Gardiner and the Oilers need a left shooting puck moving d-man. Gardiner has lots of potential and fits into the core age of the team.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 02:39 PM
Connor McOilers
We suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
I'd think long and hard about it, that's forsure.
Agreed.

The only problem is we reeeeaaallly want to draft a center. If our center depth wasn't so half ass (and about to get even worse with Horc on his way out) I'd do it for sure.

Would leafs be interesed in Horcoff assuming we retain part of his cap hit? Could lead to a bigger deal along the lines of 7th + Horcoff for Gardiner + a center...

Connor McOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 02:40 PM
Kulleroinen
Oilers!

Not interested in Gardiner at all.

Kulleroinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 02:47 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Even worse! Potential top pair+potential top line wing for prospect+weak 2nd line C, would be similar to Bozak on our team producing off of top players+B prospect
If Gardiner is a potential top pair, and JVR is a potential top wing, then you have to consider Gagner a potential top center and Marincin is actually a potential top pair d-man himself, so...you might be right in turning the deal down, but your argument for doing so sucks.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 03:15 PM
Dr Danglefest
Vindication

Quote:
Originally Posted by exporta View Post
Quickly you will be told, 7th>>>>>>>> Gardiner. Hell probably a lot of people on here will tell you 7th >>>> 21st + Gardiner.

As a Leaf fan, you should know better that to expect kind feed back on the trade boards.

Even deals like Kaberle for Colborne were shot down as over payments... Leafs would need to add ++++ to land JVR for Schenn etc.

You won't get a good response on here, and lLeaf players + prospects are worthless.
Yeah I mean, you are going to get that sort of response from pretty much every fan base on HF. It's not just a leafs thing, to every other team you players are worth a lot less than what you think and their players are worth a lot more than you would value them...

Leafs fan just have a bad rep. Lately because the last 4 years or so you guys have had a tough go of it (up until this year) yet valued your prospects like they were all future all-stars, I'm talking Ross, Mikus, D'Amigo, Scrivens, Rynnas, Holzer, Gunnersson, Kadri, Colborne and so on. A couple have turned into wht LOOKS to be solid NHLers but some are obvious no shows. And that's not even half the list of future hall of famers being shopped the last few years.

That kind of thing is the same case in every fan base (kind of) but TOR fans are plentiful so it's more obvious.

As for the trade in this thread, I would not do it from EDM. JG still looks like a promising blue liner but this draft is ridiculously deep.

Dr Danglefest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 03:48 PM
Gavy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcrazycanuck View Post
oilers and leaf fans playing in the same sand box. This will be fun. As an outsider the 7th is worth more than Gardiner in a deep draft.
So if Edmonton used the 7th on an offensive d- man, they'd HOPE he was as good as Gardiner is and will be

Gavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 03:52 PM
Jean Ralphio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavy View Post
So if Edmonton used the 7th on an offensive d- man, they'd HOPE he was as good as Gardiner is and will be
Who's to say they would? From most reports, the Oilers are interested in a center at 7. And besides, which defenceman is slated to go around 7 that would be considered an offensive dman?

Jean Ralphio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 03:54 PM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

If Gagner is so damn good why don't you guys keep him? And Hemsky too, apparently he is going to be healthy each season and be PPG. JVR>>>Gagner. It's not just points, Gagner is a weak 2nd line C, and JVR excelled on the 1st line as a PWF.

An Marincin a top pair dman potential? Haha.. Who are you, R. Cloutier?

Leafs For Life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 03:55 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
Go Leafs Go

I personally think Jake Gardiner should be one of the Leafs un touchable players and should not be traded. When he is 100% healthy he can be a top Defensman and I think he can get even better.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 03:59 PM
Melnyks Mirage
We are what we are.

vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
If I was Toronto, I'd keep Gardiner.
Yeah I would keep him and Rielly, those two look like absolute studs.
That team really needs a good centre or too though, not sure they can get it through the draft and a trade seems unlikely. I suppose if Malkin ever hit free agency they could go all out and try to get him but yeesh...

Melnyks Mirage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 04:05 PM
Aela*
#MeatisMurder

Send a message via Skype™ to Aela*
Quote:
If Gagner is so damn good why don't you guys keep him? And Hemsky too, apparently he is going to be healthy each season and be PPG. JVR>>>Gagner. It's not just points, Gagner is a weak 2nd line C, and JVR excelled on the 1st line as a PWF.

Seriously dude...I'm a Leafs fan but this is ridiculous. Right now Gagner > JVR.

Gagner has played on the weakest team in the League the past 5 years and still manages to put up a good point total at just 23 years old. Hell he didn't have RNH, Hall, Eberle, MPS or Yakupov at all during 3 of those years, he was also playing on the 2nd line mostly. The only time he's played on the 1st line with some decent talent was this year, when he put up a .79 ppg average.

Aela* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 04:05 PM
belair

IMO there's value there.

But I'd say it looks bad from both teams' perspectives.

The Oilers need a guy like Nurse more than a guy like Gardiner if they're looking at a defenseman at #7. Not to mention adding another entry-level contract helps the Oilers financially in the long run.

And Gardiner was the silver lining of the Leafs playoff run, so turning around and trading him for futures isn't exactly the smartest thing from a developmental or PR perspective.

No deal.

belair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 04:06 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsOurGame View Post
no you haven't.
Here is the post suggesting the trade:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddygmr View Post
I can certainly see Eakins asking MacT to acquire Ben Scrivens to be Oilers' 2nd goalie.
Scrivens is from the Edmonton area and has a great relationship with Eakins.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player...p?player=25777

I can see Scrivens winning the starting job from Dubnyk. Wonder what the Leafs would ask for in trade?
MacT says he wants to take some risks...how about Edmonton boys Scrivens, Phaneuf and Frattin for Kingston's Taylor Hall and a draft pick?
We can dream, can't we?

Here is the first response:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precedent View Post
As a Leafs fan, I don't make that trade.

No fan base has the market cornered on over valuing their players.

If Monahan or Lindholm are still available I hope the Oilers I would make the pick. Otherwise, I think that I would make this deal and try like crazy to get another pick in the top 15 to target Lazar.,

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 04:16 PM
RomanianLeafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulleroinen View Post
Not interested in Gardiner at all.
such a great knowledge

RomanianLeafs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 04:17 PM
MetaOil1993

I would think about it. We need a center as badly as you guys and no offence if Monahan or Lindholm are there I think we will just pick them.

MetaOil1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 04:33 PM
Jax Teller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
Here is the post suggesting the trade:

Here is the first response:

No fan base has the market cornered on over valuing their players.

If Monahan or Lindholm are still available I hope the Oilers I would make the pick. Otherwise, I think that I would make this deal and try like crazy to get another pick in the top 15 to target Lazar.,
That's not Taylor Hall + 7th overall, though. He just said "draft pick", could be a 7th rounder. Fairly large difference.

Jax Teller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 04:36 PM
Vor
RIP Lounge

vCash: 50
It's like trading your Corvette in for a BMW 5-series. You don't really want to do it, and you're neither downgrading nor upgrading, but sometimes need dictates a change. I would only do it if Monaha or Lindholm are on the board, possibly Nichushkin. But if we picked Nishu that boy damn well be ready to play in the NHL.

Vor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 04:43 PM
BK201

Quote:

As a sens fans I think JVR is a great talent I wish we had got him.

But it's hard to compare a center playing in the west to a winger in a weaker conference. I don't think JVR would be as good of a center as Gagne and vise versa for wing.

BK201 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 04:46 PM
EscapeGoat
We The North

No interest in moving Gardiner. He is an absolute stud and played with far more confidence in the playoffs. He was the Leafs most dangerous defenceman. Yes, it's a small sample size but he showed flashes before and easily has first pairing upside.

The Leafs need a #1C but the 7th overall pick wouldn't do it for me. The only way I'd even consider this is if we made this trade (with the Oilers adding) and then had a deal to trade up in the draft (Barkov).

EscapeGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 04:50 PM
Duffman955

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
JVR drafted 2nd overall in 2007. 131 points in 244 games and 32 in 48 this year.
Gagner drafted 6th overall in 2007. 258 in 414 games and 38 in 48 this year.

Gagner has a better career PPG, and has outscored JVR ever season they have both been in the league including this season. And they are the exact same age...

JVR = potential top line wing
Gagner = weak 2nd C

Seems legit.

As for the original op... I would think about it, I really like Gardiner and the Oilers need a left shooting puck moving d-man. Gardiner has lots of potential and fits into the core age of the team.
JVR is a power forward who is effective on the PK and in front of the net. His net front presence creates a lot of goals that he doesn't get assists on. Also he is a monster playoffs performer.

Gagner on the other hand is a small center who doesn't bring much to a team besides points.

You may like gagner more, but I'm pretty sure the leafs would rather keep JVR and not think twice.

Duffman955 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 04:53 PM
Aceonfire
Las Vegas Aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman955 View Post
JVR is a power forward who is effective on the PK and in front of the net. His net front presence creates a lot of goals that he doesn't get assists on. Also he is a monster playoffs performer.

Gagner on the other hand is a small center who doesn't bring much to a team besides points.

You may like gagner more, but I'm pretty sure the leafs would rather keep JVR and not think twice.
This thread isn't about Gagner or JVR, no idea why people keep derailing it.

Start a poll if you think its needed.

Aceonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 04:54 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavy View Post
Which is what Im sorry? a promising D with one good year and one bad year? That is not very proven at all. Potential wise that D and Gardiner would be the same

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote