HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Matt Read for Jonathan Bernier

Old
06-09-2013, 04:19 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
Varlmalov was traded for a 1st and 2nd, I would say Bernier's value is more in line with Varlmalov then Bobrovsky at the time of trade(although given market I don't think they get Varlmalov value for him, infact when Colorado was offering that for a goalie they should have been all over that)
Bernier's value is closer to Bobrovsky's then Varlamov's

When Varlamov was traded, he was after having proven himself as a capable starter, and proving himself to be very good in the playoffs.

The only thing in question with Varlamov at the time of the trade was his health. But even in during his injury woes he was starting more games in a season then Bernier.

Bobrovsky's value at his time of trade is much closer to Bernier then Varlamov.

Bernier would be worth slightly then Bob, but not a whole lot.

Pierce Hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
hockeyguy

jeez i proposed this back in march, the consensus feeling was the majority of kings fans wanted more and were asking for simmonds back, flyers fans were explaining the true value of read

hockeyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Riptide

Quote:
Read is a UFA next summer, why would LA trade Bernier for 1 year of Read?
God this gets tiring. You do know that teams can re-sign players right? And that not every player goes to test free agency. When a team is competitive (LA vs say Florida), it doesn't matter nearly as much if the player only has 1 year left.

Case in point, look at what Brent Burns got. He only had 1 year left.

06-09-2013, 04:20 PM
KaraLupin
카라

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzinga View Post
Any chance of Simmonds coming back if the Kings were to add 1 of their young dmen? Not Doughty or Voynov obviously
Pretty sure we want to hang onto Simmonds, but Jake Muzzin would probably be the desired piece, if Voynov not on table.

KaraLupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 04:21 PM
Four Boilermakers
Sea Bass said that?

I love Matt Read - he can do it all - but I'd trade him for Bernier if we buy out Bryzgalov. Bernier and Mason is a solid tandem, I suppose.

Four Boilermakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 04:23 PM
Clown Baby*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
https://twitter.com/DennisTFP

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/201...-flyers-goalie

Combined with McKenzie saying he thought Bryzgalov would get bought out despite the Flyers' assurances he wouldn't, things are starting to make sense.
I'd go for it. Goalies that aren't starters typically don't garner a king's ransom, and while Read is of great value to the Flyers they have a ****-ton of money wrapped up in wingers already. He could walk for nothing in a couple years.

Clown Baby* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 04:24 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce Hawthorne View Post
When Varlamov was traded, he was after having proven himself as a capable starter, and proving himself to be very good in the playoffs.
Actually before Varlmalov was traded he played 2 season in the NHL, playing a grand total of 53 games(0 in the playoffs). It was a basic case the writing was on the wall and Holtby became the Capitals chosen one and Varlmalov was ready to go to the KHL before that deal was made. The fact the Capitals got so much for him is baffling but that is another discussion.

On the flip side Bernier has played 62 games so far in the NHL and 30 minutes in the playoffs.

Last edited by boredmale: 06-09-2013 at 04:29 PM.
boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 04:24 PM
Reclamation Project
A Warm Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 View Post
I love Matt Read - he can do it all - but I'd trade him for Bernier if we buy out Bryzgalov. Bernier and Mason is a solid tandem, I suppose.
In a bigger deal LA could send a defenseman too.

Voynov and Doughty are definitely not on the table.

Last edited by Reclamation Project: 06-09-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Reclamation Project is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 04:25 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce Hawthorne View Post
It would have to be Voynov....

None of the other Kings Dmen have the value of Simmonds at this point, or even close.
I meant a Muzzin/Martinez + Bernier for Simmonds. Since my limited knowledge of the Flyers is that they desperately need defencemen. I'm clearly way off though based on the responses

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 04:33 PM
markisonfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk5n View Post
LA fans: be honest, how sheltered has Bernier been this season? I heard rumblings about LA brass trying to drive up his value
Not at all. Of his 15 appearances this year, 10 of them were against playoff teams. The remaining five starts were against Dallas, Phoenix, Nashville, Calgary, and Columbus. He played great this season.

markisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 04:39 PM
Duffman955

Sounds pretty solid.

If true, it will help both teams.

Duffman955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 04:39 PM
OilerFan4Life

vCash: 1991
Quote:
Actually before Varlmalov was traded he played 2 season in the NHL, playing a grand total of 53 games(0 in the playoffs). It was a basic case the writing was on the wall and Holtby became the Capitals chosen one and Varlmalov was ready to go to the KHL before that deal was made. The fact the Capitals got so much for him is baffling but that is another discussion.

On the flip side Bernier has played 62 games so far in the NHL and 30 minutes in the playoffs.
Varlamov started Games 3 to 7 after Theodore was garbage in 2010....

OilerFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 04:42 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk5n View Post
LA fans: be honest, how sheltered has Bernier been this season? I heard rumblings about LA brass trying to drive up his value
Check out his game log from this season:
http://www.hockey-reference.com/play.../gamelog/2013/

He had some big wins for the Kings this season, in particular, he was spectacular against the Red Wings. The lone goal scored was off a fluky bounce.

What you'll notice about Bernier is that he always appears to be as cool as a cucumber. He's always in control, doesn't appear to panic or flop around in the crease, just always has solid positioning, which always has him prepared for any second or third scoring chances should there be any.

Here's another highlight reel from a game in which Bernier was quite busy in net, facing 42 shots and making 40 saves.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 04:44 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:

Varlamov played 19 playoff games with the Caps going 10-9 and posting a .915SV%.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 04:53 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Varlamov played 19 playoff games with the Caps going 10-9 and posting a .915SV%.
Fair enough for whatever reason hockeydb doesn't have goalie playoff stats, all that being said I still think Bernier value is closer to Varly then Bobrovsky

Old
06-09-2013, 05:01 PM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

Quote:
I meant a Muzzin/Martinez + Bernier for Simmonds. Since my limited knowledge of the Flyers is that they desperately need defencemen. I'm clearly way off though based on the responses
Philly doesn't need defencemen, they need a number 1 D. They're not going to make a trade for any #3-#6 d-men.

StevensCakeBakerBacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 05:01 PM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Check out his game log from this season:
http://www.hockey-reference.com/play.../gamelog/2013/

He had some big wins for the Kings this season, in particular, he was spectacular against the Red Wings. The lone goal scored was off a fluky bounce.

What you'll notice about Bernier is that he always appears to be as cool as a cucumber. He's always in control, doesn't appear to panic or flop around in the crease, just always has solid positioning, which always has him prepared for any second or third scoring chances should there be any.

Here's another highlight reel from a game in which Bernier was quite busy in net, facing 42 shots and making 40 saves.

Even if everything you say is true, it still matters not in the current environment. There's virtually NO market. Even the teams that might have been interested last year have moved forward. His value is pretty much 2nd round really...

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 05:03 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
Even if everything you say is true, it still matters not in the current environment. There's virtually NO market. Even the teams that might have been interested last year have moved forward. His value is pretty much 2nd round really...
As an Islanders fan I would be more then happy trading our 15th overall pick for Bernier(but nothing more other then we might throw Poulin or Koskinen into the deal)

Old
06-09-2013, 05:16 PM
KaraLupin
카라

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
You are wrong, Bernier still has a high value as a good, YOUNG goaltender that can be your starter for many years.

Just because the buzz of teams needing a goalie has died down this off-season, doesn't mean he doesn't still hold great value to those remaining teams in need..

KaraLupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 05:22 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Look out!!!

No! He'll be an Islander!

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 05:30 PM
Crisp Breakout

Try 19 playoff games. 10-9 record with a 0.915 SV%. 1107 minutes in the playoffs.
Quote:

Crisp Breakout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 05:33 PM
JayQueensNY88*

LA should ask for more. A steal for the Flyers

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 05:34 PM
Frodo Baggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraLupin View Post
You are wrong, Bernier still has a high value as a good, YOUNG goaltender that can be your starter for many years.

Just because the buzz of teams needing a goalie has died down this off-season, doesn't mean he doesn't still hold great value to those remaining teams in need..
I don't think its quite fair to tell someone they are blatantly wrong on value. In all honesty, nobody knows the true value of these players until the trade talk reports surface

Frodo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 05:48 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
We're in need of a top pairing, minute munching #1. We've got lots of guys that are #3-6 guys(Coburn, Schenn, Meszaros, Grossmann, Gustafsson, Gervais) and Muzzin/Martinez are good players, but they're not a real upgrade on any of those guys, so it's not going to work.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 05:52 PM
Curufinwe

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayQueensNY88 View Post
LA should ask for more. A steal for the Flyers
I read the whole thread and didn't see anyone suggest the name of another player who the Kings could trade Bernier for straight up who is better than Matt Read.

Maybe there is one, but no one could provide an example.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote