HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Is Rask a top 5 goalie?

View Poll Results: Is Rask a top 5 goalie?
Yes 124 56.62%
Not Yet - but future top 5 62 28.31%
No 33 15.07%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-08-2013, 04:34 PM
Affinity

vCash: 500
There are 3 goalies I would definitely take over him (Lundqvist, Rinne and Quick) after that it's a little blurry because the skill between goalies right now is pretty close and all it takes is one great year for them to be catapulted to the "top 3-5-10' lists or a mediocre/bad year to fall back into obscurity the following season. All in all, I voted yes.

Affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 04:37 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daishi View Post
Perfect post right here ladies and gentlemen. A lot of people seem to forget that Rask has highest save percentage of all time for starting goaltenders. He's been out in the shadows only because Thomas was having a Conn Smythe + Vezina seasons. Rask has been dominating his whole career and now that he got the chance to do it in the playoffs he's getting the recognition.
Again, it is more than coincidence that Bruins goaltenders are posting the best SV% numbers of all time. Thomas was a great goaltender. Was he at Hasek's level? No. Yet, he outperformed him statistically. Rask is a good goaltender, putting up numbers better than Hasek in his prime. Is he at Hasek's level? No.

The Bruins are a great team who have had great goaltenders in their system. But, if I looked at their statistics, I'd have to believe Thomas and Rask are two of the best goaltenders of all time, and the Bruins just so happened to acquire to generational Hasek talents within a five year span. It doesn't add up in my opinion.

Secondly, Rask has always been on a good team that plays better defense than the vast majority of the league on an annual basis. And he only has a 130+ game sample size over those four years. What will Rask's numbers be like playing 60+ games a season? How would he perform if he was on just an average team.

He's had the benefit of being on a great team. And the Bruins have had the benefit of having solid goaltending. Both benefit from the other.

For example, Rask has had a higher SV% than Lundqvist, Rinne, etc, over the majority of the last several years. Rask has also played on a much better team than those two over the last several years, and he has also played far fewer games than those two.

You always have to put numbers in context. And I'd take his record setting SV% with a grain of salt when validating him for the top-5. Personally, I don't believe the Bruins acquired two generational goaltenders capable of surpassing Hasek exponentially. That said, Thomas was great and has made a legitimate case for the Hall of Fame in his short NHL tenure. And Rask is starting to make his claim as a top goaltender in the league. It's just tough to give it to him given his actual work load.

But again, after Lundqvist, Quick and Rinne, who is the best? That's why I can certainly respect other peoples opinions on him being a top-5 goaltender. IMO, it's clear those are the top three in the league. After that, it's a very tight group of goaltenders battling it out, with Rask in the mix.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 05:00 PM
Chieftans22*
#FreeSeguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
Again, it is more than coincidence that Bruins goaltenders are posting the best SV% numbers of all time. Thomas was a great goaltender. Was he at Hasek's level? No. Yet, he outperformed him statistically. Rask is a good goaltender, putting up numbers better than Hasek in his prime. Is he at Hasek's level? No.

The Bruins are a great team who have had great goaltenders in their system. But, if I looked at their statistics, I'd have to believe Thomas and Rask are two of the best goaltenders of all time, and the Bruins just so happened to acquire to generational Hasek talents within a five year span. It doesn't add up in my opinion.

Secondly, Rask has always been on a good team that plays better defense than the vast majority of the league on an annual basis. And he only has a 130+ game sample size over those four years. What will Rask's numbers be like playing 60+ games a season? How would he perform if he was on just an average team.

He's had the benefit of being on a great team. And the Bruins have had the benefit of having solid goaltending. Both benefit from the other.

For example, Rask has had a higher SV% than Lundqvist, Rinne, etc, over the majority of the last several years. Rask has also played on a much better team than those two over the last several years, and he has also played far fewer games than those two.

You always have to put numbers in context. And I'd take his record setting SV% with a grain of salt when validating him for the top-5. Personally, I don't believe the Bruins acquired two generational goaltenders capable of surpassing Hasek exponentially. That said, Thomas was great and has made a legitimate case for the Hall of Fame in his short NHL tenure. And Rask is starting to make his claim as a top goaltender in the league. It's just tough to give it to him given his actual work load.

But again, after Lundqvist, Quick and Rinne, who is the best? That's why I can certainly respect other peoples opinions on him being a top-5 goaltender. IMO, it's clear those are the top three in the league. After that, it's a very tight group of goaltenders battling it out, with Rask in the mix.

The Bruins certainly help but they give up as many chances as most. You compare them to Hasek, but it's not like just Rask and Thomas outperformed him, statistically. Most goalies have comparable numbers to him in his prime during their best years, as well - this is just improving goalies, technique, and equipment.

I still don't get how sample size is an argument against Rask, however almost everyone who uses this turns right around in the same post and claims Quick is stone-slated Top 3.

Chieftans22* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 07:05 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chieftans22 View Post
The Bruins certainly help but they give up as many chances as most. You compare them to Hasek, but it's not like just Rask and Thomas outperformed him, statistically. Most goalies have comparable numbers to him in his prime during their best years, as well - this is just improving goalies, technique, and equipment.

I still don't get how sample size is an argument against Rask, however almost everyone who uses this turns right around in the same post and claims Quick is stone-slated Top 3.
Your first point is true. I don't think it is goaltenders getting better though. I saw Hasek play in his prime. As I'm sure you have. And I don't think there is a goaltender in the game today, including Lundqvist, Rinne, Quick, Rask, etc, that dominated a game at his level. I think it is more so the style of hockey that is played today that is more conducive to goaltenders inflated stats, across the board amongst all goaltenders.

In regards to the second post, Rask's sample size is a factor IMO. If you look at Lundqvist, he has brought an elite level of play, generally on worse teams than Rask, over 500 games played, with six 60+ game seasons. Rinne has brought a high level of play, for the most part, for nearly 300 games with two seasons above 60 games, on generally worse teams. In Luongo's prime, he had brought an elite level of play for ~ 700 games before he was relegated as a back up, with a handful of seasons above 70 games (Luongo played on a few teams that definitely rivaled the Bruins, obviously, see the SCF between the two teams).

Even starting goaltenders like Price have played over 300 games. And he is only 25. It's hard to compare goaltenders who have performed like that, for as long as they have, to a goaltender like Rask who doesn't even have one 50 game season under his belt. And I'm not saying Price is better than Rask, because I think Rask is better than Price, I'm just using their games played as a reference point.

Quick does have multiple 60 game seasons under his belt, close to 300 games played, but in general, I agree with you about Quick. That's why I wouldn't put Quick at the same level as Lundqvist/Rinne, and would probably move him to the #3 spot. Quick has had one elite season, two solid seasons, an elite playoff and a great playoff this season, and two very mediocre regular seasons (including this one, but I give him the benefit of the doubt because of his back injury, but it doesn't take away the fact that it wasn't the best season).

I think there is a case that Rask, in reality, is a top-5 goaltender. I'm just saying, from my perspective, I like to see a larger sample size where a goaltender can play at that level before I'd say he is definitely top five. For me, with goaltenders, the most important thing is consistency. And Rask has been very consistent over his young career so far. He just hasn't done it in a quantity that would make me definitely say he is top-5.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 07:11 PM
PAZ

vCash: 50
It's arguable, but I wouldn't cement him in the top 5 yet. Like others have said, he's competing with about 5-10 other goalies for the 4/5 place.

PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 07:40 PM
MoreGore

I wonder how this poll would have looked after the first round.

Boston barely made it past the Leafs, who scored 18 goals in 7 games. A very decent effort to be sure, but not top 5.

MoreGore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 07:45 PM
Tuomaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreGore View Post
I wonder how this poll would have looked after the first round.

Boston barely made it past the Leafs, who scored 18 goals in 7 games. A very decent effort to be sure, but not top 5.
Just shows how overrated Boston's defence is. Rask has gone into another level when his team have needed him most.

Tuomaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 07:57 PM
jake08

He's a great goalie whose really come through. He's posted amazing numbers and proved that he has the talent to be a top goalie without a doubt. But you have to also take into consideration the team that plays in front of him. The Bruins have some of the best d man in the league, with amazing back checking forwards. If you look at their goalies since the beginning of this decade, they've all been strong. Didn't Raycroft win the Calder in Boston?

jake08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 05:25 AM
wunderpanda
Sabretage

After his playoffs this year, Rask is top 3 with Quick and Rinne

wunderpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 07:03 AM
Sky04

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderpanda View Post
because Lundqvist was absolutely terrible in the playoffs right?

Sky04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 11:03 AM
MrEctions
Willy Nilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderpanda View Post

MrEctions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 04:35 PM
Affinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuomaz View Post
Just shows how overrated Boston's defence is. Rask has gone into another level when his team have needed him most.
His team played very well in the series against the Rangers while he let in some weird goals. I wouldn't say his first two rounds were that spectacular but he was definitely amazing in the Penguins series.

Affinity is offline   Reply With Quote