HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Josef Balej

Old
10-11-2006, 12:47 AM
Shabutie

vCash: 500
Josef Balej

Any of you miss the guy? He signed a contract with a swiss team and is seemingly doing quite well (http://www.fribourg-gotteron.ch/stat...atistiques.jsp). I was under the impression that this guys speed + skill could have done quite well in the "new" nhl. He was basicaly a lock to make the Canucks line up this year, and I believe that they still have his rights. Sure we got Kovalev for him, but we probably could've got Kovy for something less (Rags were just trying to get rid of his contract). *Where do you think Balej would be if he wasn't traded.

If we still had him, I'm sure he'd be pushing for a top 9 spot.

Last edited by Shabutie: 10-11-2006 at 01:39 PM.
Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 01:17 AM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

working link: http://www.fribourg-gotteron.ch/stat...atistiques.jsp

I think the Nucks will keep Balej right until he turn 27, so July 2009

Habs Prospects website
habsprospects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 01:22 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thief50 View Post
working link: http://www.fribourg-gotteron.ch/stat...atistiques.jsp

I think the Nucks will keep Balej right until he turn 27, so July 2009
Very likely. It was more of a "what if" question though.

Old
10-11-2006, 01:37 AM
MacHabs93

I think he's a bust. And the Kovalev deal was a steal... Glad our staff saw his true potential ...

Wasn't he injured a few times ? Also a 1 PPG average in the Swiss league is nothing to show off ... Stephane Lebeau was a god among mortals there ...

MacHabs93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 02:48 AM
vcx*

There are plenty of guys that show flashes of brilliance but never really take hold of their own destiny and make something of it.

Even that idiot Fedor Fedorov showed some brilliance, but man was he a retard. At least JB was a fairly decent guy. At this point, we have better guys in the system..i'm happy with some of the euro's we have. The Kosty's, Perezhogin and Pleckanec.

vcx* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 02:53 AM
vcx*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHabs93 View Post
I think he's a bust. And the Kovalev deal was a steal... Glad our staff saw his true potential ...

Wasn't he injured a few times ? Also a 1 PPG average in the Swiss league is nothing to show off ... Stephane Lebeau was a god among mortals there ...
Yeah and that 2nd rounder didn't turn out to be anything either for the Rangers.

vcx* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 03:30 AM
MacHabs93

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
Yeah and that 2nd rounder didn't turn out to be anything either for the Rangers.
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...id%5B%5D=62347

MacHabs93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 07:30 AM
!nkubus

I totally don't miss Balej. Gainey just got the right eyes on that case . I'm glad to have Kovalev(even if he is transparent 3 games out of 4)

!nkubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 07:36 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Well that lacerated kidney he suffered might be a reason why there's a setback in his career 'cause I really thought too that he would be a great player in this league....Hope he bounces back and we see him again.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 10:17 AM
HabSim

If I remember correctly, I once heard that Sather wanted Balej or Plekanec in the Kovalev deal.

I'm happy we kept Pleks.

HabSim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 10:22 AM
hab

balej and a 2nd or kovy.....hmmmm..... I think I will stick with kovy

hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 10:30 AM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabSim View Post
If I remember correctly, I once heard that Sather wanted Balej or Plekanec in the Kovalev deal.

I'm happy we kept Pleks.
Yes , they had 3 options : Pleky,Hossa and Balej. At the time of the trade JB was among the top scorer in the 'A' and their scout told em to select him.

He was at that point in his carrer he had to think for his financial security. Im not sure the Canucks would have given him a 1-way deal. It's too bad because i was watching the Nucks last night and they could use some wingers for Morrison. Bulis is getting regular shifts on the PP..

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 10:35 AM
TheRocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabSim View Post

I'm happy we kept Pleks.
Not exactly. He was given a choice of three players: Hossa, Plekanec and Balej. Balej was picked by Satter cause he was playing like a future star in AHL that season, much better than the other two. So it was not up to Bob which player to trade from our side. It was Satter's decision.

TheRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 10:42 AM
!nkubus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRocket View Post
Not exactly. He was given a choice of three players: Hossa, Plekanec and Balej. Balej was picked by Satter cause he was playing like a future star in AHL that season, much better than the other two. So it was not up to Bob which player to trade from our side. It was Satter's decision.
Then thanks to Joseph Balej then

Plecanek is a great Asset, and Hossa gave us Huet and Bonk . We can see that we are the great winners of the deal

Old
10-11-2006, 10:48 AM
BOB the Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by !nkubus View Post
and Hossa gave us Huet and Bonk . We can see that we are the great winners of the deal

Uh!?!?!

He was traded for Garth Murray

BOB the Builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 10:49 AM
Belso

Possible maybe future NHLer for proven 1st line material? GREAT TRADE OFF!! I don't miss Balej one bit. The Habs have so much depth right now that we don't need him. Besides I'd rather make room for Kostitisyn!! Good call by management to let go of Balej before everyone else..

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 10:57 AM
!nkubus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB the Builder View Post
Uh!?!?!

He was traded for Garth Murray
Youre right, I was responding to the thread about Price and goalies 5 minutes ago lol

sorry ...

Garth Murray Rules anyway

Old
10-11-2006, 11:06 AM
Teufelsdreck

It's more than 2 years past the deal but I don't think Shabutie is capable of looking past his prejudices, not matter how unreasonable they are. He should examine what has happened since then and open his mind to facts.

Obviously the Habs wouldn't have gotten past the Bruins in 2004 if they hadn't traded Balej for Kovalev. I don't think they would have made the playoffs in 2006 if they hadn't re-signed Kovalev. There's a good chance they wouldn't make the playoffs this season without Kovalev.

Exactly where would Balej fit in now? He isn't good enough to make this team. Period.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 12:07 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
It's more than 2 years past the deal but I don't think Shabutie is capable of looking past his prejudices, not matter how unreasonable they are. He should examine what has happened since then and open his mind to facts.

Obviously the Habs wouldn't have gotten past the Bruins in 2004 if they hadn't traded Balej for Kovalev. I don't think they would have made the playoffs in 2006 if they hadn't re-signed Kovalev. There's a good chance they wouldn't make the playoffs this season without Kovalev.

Exactly where would Balej fit in now? He isn't good enough to make this team. Period.
I never said "if the trade never happened", I said "surely we could've given less for kovalev cuz they were looking to dump his salary".

Yes I know what Kovalev brings, Yes I ****ing hate him as a person/player. But I know his worth to this "mediocre" team, where 60 pts is "alot".

Last edited by Darz: 10-12-2006 at 02:33 PM. Reason: wasy with the insults
Old
10-11-2006, 12:47 PM
larue*

The Kovy, Balej deal aint done yet as far as I can see. Kovy I hardly doubt will retire a Hab so we should definetly gets something for him before his career is over. That will make the Balej deal even more sweeter.

larue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 12:53 PM
SniperMogilny2K6*

Josef Balej is capable of 20 goals he just needs to be on the team.

The habs should have signed him and put him on the first line with Koivu

SniperMogilny2K6* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 12:57 PM
tritone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Any of you miss the guy? He signed a contract with a swiss team and is seemingly doing quite well (http://www.fribourg-gotteron.ch/stat...atistiques.jsp). I was under the impression that this guys speed + skill could have done quite well in the "new" nhl. He was basicaly a lock to make the Canucks line up this year, and I believe that they still have his rights. Sure we got Kovalev for him, but we probably could've got Kovy for something less (Rags were just trying to get rid of his contract).

If we still had him, I'm sure he'd be pushing for a top 9 spot.
You're kidding right?
Let me ask you this..... If the Rags had Balej right now in their farm team and offered him to us for Kovy , would you do it?

tritone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 01:10 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritone View Post
You're kidding right?
Let me ask you this..... If the Rags had Balej right now in their farm team and offered him to us for Kovy , would you do it?
I guess there are a few illeterates here. The question was; If we would've traded someone ELSE than Balej for Kovalev, where would you think Balej would be...

Old
10-11-2006, 01:30 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
I guess there are a few illeterates here. The question was; If we would've traded someone ELSE than Balej for Kovalev, where would you think Balej would be...
There was NOTHING else less acceptable to the Rangers after Gainey excluded Higgins, Perezhogin, Kostitsyn, and Komisarek. Besides Balej, only Plekanec was left on the table, and fortunately for Gainey the Rangers guessed wrong. Your IF is meaningless: no Balej, no Kovalev.

Your hatred for Kovalev strikes me not only as obstinacy but as as misguided idiocy. You may not admire his style but there's not much wrong with his character. His contributions to Russian youth hockey alone make him worthy of admiration.

My "illiteracy" may be blamed on your posing garbled hypothetical questions that are difficult to decipher, much less respond to.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 01:35 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
There was NOTHING else less acceptable to the Rangers after Gainey excluded Higgins, Perezhogin, Kostitsyn, and Komisarek. Besides Balej, only Plekanec was left on the table, and fortunately for Gainey the Rangers guessed wrong. Your IF is meaningless: no Balej, no Kovalev.

Your hatred for Kovalev strikes me not only as obstinacy but as as misguided idiocy. You may not admire his style but there's not much wrong with his character. His contributions to Russian youth hockey alone make him worthy of admiration.
As mentionned Hossa was also on the table. So the question stands...If the rags had originally chosen Hossa, "what if"

As for Kovalev...The guy plays with no heart what so ever. I despise the game he plays. You can praise him for his skill...for the fact that he's overpaid...or what have you. You'll never see Kovalev on a GM's Want List, and with good reason.