HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-2014 Blues Prospects

Closed Thread

Old
05-26-2013, 11:18 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

vCash: 500
Rattle had a strong game. Mackinnon and Drouin were better.

Old
05-26-2013, 11:39 PM
cosmicfreakout
keep on climbin'

Rattie looks like he'll be an excellent player, a sniper who can also make plays and seems kinda feisty as well. I hope Blues management doesn't rush him and lets him play in the AHL. I'm they sure they will.

Mackinnon and Drouin both looked amazing.

Old
05-27-2013, 04:00 AM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
Winterhawks end up losing 6-4. Rattie with a goal, 3 assists & +2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Ritchey View Post
Rattle had a strong game. Mackinnon and Drouin were better.
I didn't get to see it, but it sounds like Rattie played a hell of a game being in on all four of Portland's goals.

Old
05-27-2013, 09:07 AM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post
I didn't get to see it, but it sounds like Rattie played a hell of a game being in on all four of Portland's goals.
He also had a goal called off.

Old
05-27-2013, 06:26 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Rattie had 6 goals, 6 assists in the 5 games he played in the Memorial Cup including a four-point championship game. His team may not have won but he's not a guy who shrinks from a big game. Overall 26 goals, 22 assists in 26 playoff games this year.

Old
05-28-2013, 11:09 AM
BadgersandBlues

Doesn't seem to need a lot of space to get his shot off, that's a boon for him moving to the pro ranks.

Old
05-29-2013, 05:27 AM
erderuft

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Rattie had 6 goals, 6 assists in the 5 games he played in the Memorial Cup including a four-point championship game. His team may not have won but he's not a guy who shrinks from a big game. Overall 26 goals, 22 assists in 26 playoff games this year.

Old
06-05-2013, 06:38 AM
erderuft

We often talk bout ur great depth at D, with Cole, Hakanpaa, Fairchild, Ponich and what-have-you waiting in the wings.

One guy you never hear anything about though is our 2012 1st round pick Jordan Schmaltz. I know he's just now finished his first year of college, but that's about it. How has he looked (his stats says he only has a handful of points in 43 games but is a plus player), in what situations does he play? Anyone have any insight? Things have been so quiet concerning Schmaltz, I nearly forgot about him.

Looking back at the pick and where he was taken, 25th overall, plus Schmaltz being a defenseman, perhaps it's too early to really tell anything about how he will turn out. Still, if there's one player I feel could turn out to be a bust, it's Schmaltz (and mainly because I know so little about him).

Old
06-05-2013, 07:21 AM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by erderuft View Post
We often talk bout ur great depth at D, with Cole, Hakanpaa, Fairchild, Ponich and what-have-you waiting in the wings.

One guy you never hear anything about though is our 2012 1st round pick Jordan Schmaltz. I know he's just now finished his first year of college, but that's about it. How has he looked (his stats says he only has a handful of points in 43 games but is a plus player), in what situations does he play? Anyone have any insight? Things have been so quiet concerning Schmaltz, I nearly forgot about him.

Looking back at the pick and where he was taken, 25th overall, plus Schmaltz being a defenseman, perhaps it's too early to really tell anything about how he will turn out. Still, if there's one player I feel could turn out to be a bust, it's Schmaltz (and mainly because I know so little about him).
Schmaltz played on a team that already had some established defenseman. It was probably the best thing for him to learn from some veteran guys after being the guy the past two years. From what I saw, it taught him how to play his position and become a better defender. He earned more time on the power play as the season progressed. Expect an ascension the next couple years in his point totals as he takes over being the #1 man eventually.

Old
06-05-2013, 07:27 AM
Alklha

Schmaltz is a project, he isn't close to the NHL and when we drafted him I doubt any of our scouts expected him to be in the NHL within 3 years.

As for how he has played, I have no first hand knowledge. I have heard that he has done well, he hasn't had significant minutes because of the players ahead of him, but that is expected to change next season.

Old
06-05-2013, 09:29 AM
nicholas89alex

he was the only freshman on his colleges defense and all but one of the defenders were drafted so he was the 6th guy and it was merely an adjustment and learning season for him

Old
06-05-2013, 09:55 AM
erderuft

Thanks guys. Your answers raises a question, though, and I'm sure it's been discussed on this site a hundred times already. Is it a sound strategy to draft a defenseman that you know will be somewhat of a project that high?

Personally, I think that you only should draft top defensive prospects in the 1st round, and only if they have great offensive instinct. Defensive grunts a la Polak/Jackman can be found in the later rounds. And there's tons of projects in rounds 2-7. IMO, if you don't have a top 5-10 pick you're better off either trading your pick or drafting a good forward prospect. Obviously the Armstrongs (GM and Head Scout) know what they're doing, but still. To much of an unknown to use a 1st rounder on, I think.

Old
06-05-2013, 10:32 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

It was a crappy pick at the time and still is. For a first rounder you need something better than a longshot one-dimensional project you hope will one day become a #4 dman.

Old
06-05-2013, 10:34 AM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by erderuft View Post
Thanks guys. Your answers raises a question, though, and I'm sure it's been discussed on this site a hundred times already. Is it a sound strategy to draft a defenseman that you know will be somewhat of a project that high?

Personally, I think that you only should draft top defensive prospects in the 1st round, and only if they have great offensive instinct. Defensive grunts a la Polak/Jackman can be found in the later rounds. And there's tons of projects in rounds 2-7. IMO, if you don't have a top 5-10 pick you're better off either trading your pick or drafting a good forward prospect. Obviously the Armstrongs (GM and Head Scout) know what they're doing, but still. To much of an unknown to use a 1st rounder on, I think.
He has this.

Actually, he was on the top pairing w/ Forbert. They typically were matched against teams top lines in the couple of games I saw.

Old
06-05-2013, 11:30 AM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

Quote:
It was a crappy pick at the time and still is. For a first rounder you need something better than a longshot one-dimensional project you hope will one day become a #4 dman.
Well, firstly they elected not to trade up and get Laughton or Matheson and based on my viewings pre and post draft, of the 34 players selected after Schmaltz in the first and second rounds, there are maybe one or two guys that look like potential studs that look like good value picks (Kerdiles being one).

And secondly, classifying Schmaltz as a one-dimensional project is inaccurate. The correct label is boom or bust. If the Blues hit with Schmaltz, they will hit big. He has high end ability combined with a high end mind who dominated at every level and just needed to mature both on and off the ice. He has a lot of positive traits who needed to find a way to put it all together. And from all accounts he did that and hopefully the points will follow next year with more responsibility. The Blues took the player who was ranked 2nd by ISS in August of 2011 and a player they viewed as having the highest upside with 26th overall pick in a draft that looks shaky. I don't see anything wrong with the pick.

Old
06-05-2013, 11:48 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Same things were said about Oshie. Other scouts and GMs compared Schmaltz to Mike Green. I'd much rather go with a boom or bust in the late first instead of a safe 3rd liner type pick.

Old
06-05-2013, 12:04 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Same things were said about Oshie. Other scouts and GMs compared Schmaltz to Mike Green. I'd much rather go with a boom or bust in the late first instead of a safe 3rd liner type pick.
Good comparison, in that they are a similar "reach" as both were expected to go in the 35-40 range. People talk about it like it was a Thomas Hickey style stupid reach.

I was pretty annoyed that we didn't try and move up and get Hertl or Grigorenko last year, but with who was left on the board when we picked I'm fine with it. He is a higher risk than what we've had in the past, but we are in a position where we can afford to do that. If he makes then NHL then it is pretty safe to assume that he'll be at least a 2nd pairing guy and PPQB.

It is way too early to be being overly critical of the selection, it was only a year ago that Jaškin was getting labelled a bust by some.

Old
06-05-2013, 12:34 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Wait a minute, Schmaltz suddenly is more than a purely offensive, non-physical dman now? That's quite a development in his game in one year because a year ago he had neither. Oshie was always an all-rounder, so I think this is one of the worst comparisons to be made, actually.

Schmaltz is an American first-rounder who didn't even get a sniff of WJC possibility.

Old
06-05-2013, 12:51 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Wait a minute, Schmaltz suddenly is more than a purely offensive, non-physical dman now? That's quite a development in his game in one year because a year ago he had neither. Oshie was always an all-rounder, so I think this is one of the worst comparisons to be made, actually.

Schmaltz is an American first-rounder who didn't even get a sniff of WJC possibility.
That was always the report on Schmaltz and everyone was all over the Blues with the Oshie pick, everyone thought they were crazy.

Old
06-05-2013, 01:08 PM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

I've mentioned before that the USA Hockey brass held a grudge against Schmaltz because he didn't go to the NTDP and it was apparently contentious when he opted to play in Sioux City. You'll notice his brother Nick, a high end American prospect, also went to the USHL. I saw Brady Skjei, Sieloff, and Grzelcyk play many times and Schmaltz is a much better prospect than all three. But guess what the common denominator was with that trio?

Old
06-05-2013, 01:25 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Yeah, I don't think people realize how political everything is outside of politics.

Old
06-05-2013, 01:53 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
That was always the report on Schmaltz and everyone was all over the Blues with the Oshie pick, everyone thought they were crazy.
People initially thought Oshie was a reach but his game was always very well-rounded. The difference with Schmaltz is he's a 6'3" project to hopefully become a Shattenkirk (but much less likely to pan out than Shattenkirk was). Oshie also immediately looked like a player when he got to North Dakota.

I'm not saying Schmaltz can't pan out. You guys know I hope he does, as that would give the Blues huge flexibility to make an upgrade in their contender push. I'm pointing out that they went boom-bust on a PPQB one-way dman in the first round, which, as a category of player, comes with an inherent ceiling. You only get so many 1st round picks so you gotta make them count. In fairness to the Blues, with about 7 picks to go there were 5 guys I hoped they'd get and then somehow they ALL went in those 7 picks (Laughton, Matheson, Maatta, etc.) and the Blues just got situationally screwed.

Old
06-05-2013, 04:44 PM
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne

It's a shame we didn't trade up to get Hertl. He is looking like a damn good player.

Old
06-09-2013, 06:03 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Has anyone seen Max Gardiner play? He has size and the natural playmaking ability and he became a lot more productive with Penn State, but I never caught one of his games to get a good read on him.

Old
06-09-2013, 10:28 PM
simon in canada

I watched that draft on TSN, and I have to say I wasn't to thrilled with the second of silence from the analysts when Schmaltz' name was called, followed by the "right off the board" comment from one of them. I also read a post stating that Schmaltz was not only non-physical, he actually shied away from physical contact, a report that really alarmed me. I didn't like the pick then, and I still don't like it. I posted my views and got a little torched, oh well. I agree I am not an expert and the Blues management are. I just think Schmaltz could have been available in the 2nd round and it was a bit of a waste of a pick. I sincerely hope I am proven wrong.

Closed Thread