HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

luongo

Old
05-30-2013, 12:29 PM
Diamonddog01

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Really? Hasn't it already been abundantly clear though that Luongo doesn't want to just go anywhere and has his preferences of where he'd like to end up? He's stated publicly what his preferences are about where he'd like to play. So why would he state that beforehand seems obvious to me...to control where he ends up ultimately. Its basically like a different way to sorta evoke his NTC. How often do you see it happening, actually I believe its happened 2 or 3 times in the last several yrs actually (2 of the times were with goalies too in the trade of Thomas & when Nabokov as signed mid yr, concidence that both end up with the Isles). He'd only engage in something like that to just force the Canucks to do something besides try to waive him so that he can control his fate for the rest of his career.
If this was the 2012 offseason, instead of the 2013 offseason, you may have a point. If Gillis hasn't tried hard to accommodate him, and Luongo hasn't been anything but an absolute professional, you may have a point. However Luongo and Gillis are working together to find a new home for him, it isn't the adversarial relationship you seem to assuming.

Quote:
And is it really that Luongo wants to leave Vancouver or that Vancouver wants to get rid of Luongo? When the story first broke, it was Luongo who came out and said that he and management had agreed that it was time for him to "move on" at the exit interviews. Which anyone can tell after another playoff collapse by the Canucks was the team telling Luongo that they are going to pursue a trade of him. He may not want to stay there now after everything thats happened over the last 2 yrs but it wasnt him who originally wanted to leave and if there was a way to make it right, I would be sure that he'd be fine staying in Vancouver.
It's Luongo. It may have been building for a while, but the straw that broke the camel's back was when he was pulled in favour of Schneider against LA. You are completely wrong about the bolded as well. His wife doesn't live with him in Vancouver during the season, and he wants to be in the Eastern conference.

Quote:
Yes his agent does what his client tells him but the agent's job is to advise his client on these matters. If his agent says to him, "dont be cooperative with the team and force them to buy you out" then its up to Luongo to do what he wants but it still remains a factor (just like his wife is from south FL and he'd like to be closer to her family with where he plays). And that $50M number is based on his salary over the last 8 yrs (I already figured that out). The guy is an avid poker player and I'm sure once he retires, he'll be doing that more and more. Thats not exactly a cheap hobby to have either, even if you're good, you can often lose a lot of money too.
Yup its just astounding to me that Gillis has kept his job thru this whole debacle, even getting rid of the coach just weeks ago. I'm honestly surprised that Aquilini hasnt decided to sack the guy and replace him by now.
That would never happen. Your posts are full of assumptions and statements that don't reflect the reality of the past year and a half. Take it from someone who lives in Vancouver, follows the Canucks and Luongo avidly. He wants to be a starter, that is a higher priority than him getting the remainder of his contract.

In addition Luongo would never behave like that. He's handled this with total class and composure and he would not try to blackmail the team to force them to buy him out. And even if he tried, again - he doesn't really have the bargaining position to do so. If he doesn't report after being waived his contract is voided.

Quote:
As I said above, wanting to leave doesnt mean he doesnt want to pick where he's gonna play for most likely the rest of his career. Otherwise, he would've just told Gillis to find a place where I'll be a starter and I'll waive my NTC. Too many times its been reported that he has a specific list of teams he'd prefer to go to and if the Canucks got an offer from a team not on that list, they'd need to convince him to waive that NTC. They would probably need to stay on Luongo's good side so threatening to waive him to me, is not a good option at all.
He pretty much did exactly that. He told Gillis he'd be happy to a trade to just about any team in the Eastern Conference. I'm sure he has his preferences (Florida being the top) but after spending a full year and another playoff series as the backup he wants to leave, immediately. The issue isn't him blackmailing Gillis, it's that Gillis' demands are too high.

Waiving him wouldn't be this extortion tactic you seem to focused on, it would be a mutual decision so that he would get picked up and leave Vancovuer. A last resort, and would happen far before the team thought about buying him out.

Again - both sides have been very agreeable and are working hard to find a solution that works for everyone. This is not a case where the player is holding out for a trade, or making demands.

Quote:
It doesnt matter if you think they are superficial or trivial reasons. In the grand scheme of things, a lot of moves do or dont happen for those exact superficial or trivial reasons. Look Pronger was traded from Edmonton because his wife didnt like it there. Roberto would like to play for Florida because his wife is from here. You can call those superficial too but thats reality. So why cant teams have some superficial reasons for not acquiring Luongo? And I dont see how cap space issues or the money a team already has invested in its current talent are really superficial at all. I agree though that Gillis really is going to need to lower his demands a little and definitely is going to have to realize he's taking back salary in a deal no matter what.
As I said, I think he would clear waivers if he came out in the media and said, "if I'm waived, I wont report to any team except the Panthers." So we can create a poll but its with that caveat and I think a majority of people would agree with me. Sure there's a chance he would be claimed but there's been a lot of other players that have cleared waivers that you never would have thought they would.
I'm curious why you would think they would be less likely than other teams. As I said, they have as much of a need for a goaltender as anyone. They have new blood with Patrick Roy who will want to put his stamp on things right away. They have the cap space necessary for a deal to work and they have pieces that would make sense for both teams to move. The only issue is getting Roberto to waive his NTC to go there...which I think will always be a big hurdle to completing a trade for Luongo.
I doubt that the majority would, but you can stick that assumption if you want. At the end of the day, regardless of the reasons why you feel or I feel that a team might pick up Roberto for free on waivers, these are all just opinions. You can't state factually that Pittsburgh would have zero interest in a free top 7 goaltender if (and it's a bit if) they bought out Fleury. I can't state for certain they would, but we can make reasonable guesses.

As for Colorado - I don't think goaltending has been the issue. Varlamov is a fine young goalie. As well, and this goes back to what I discussed before, Luongo wants to be traded to the Eastern Conference. He's not too fussy as to where in the East.

Diamonddog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 06:35 PM
harv3317

i don't know. it seems like a slap in the face the way louie was treated in the playoffs. he had good performances and schneider not soooo much, yet in the deciding game shneider got the nod even though lou was clearly the superior goalie during the playoffs. this strikes at the pride factor and may lead lou to facilitate a buy out if at all possible. this would be having his cake and eating it too! he would get paid and be able to play where he wants. personally i was not keen on louie with his contract, but with a new contract for 2-3 years he would fit into our plans really well. as far as louie being stand up etc. we were told the same b.s. when we were trying to resign him, but his agent through up every possible road block to force a trade. i can see him doing the same to force the canucks into a buy out. we shall see how things develop. personally i can see a buy out coming.

harv3317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 06:00 PM
Castle1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3317 View Post
i don't know. it seems like a slap in the face the way louie was treated in the playoffs. he had good performances and schneider not soooo much, yet in the deciding game shneider got the nod even though lou was clearly the superior goalie during the playoffs. this strikes at the pride factor and may lead lou to facilitate a buy out if at all possible. this would be having his cake and eating it too! he would get paid and be able to play where he wants. personally i was not keen on louie with his contract, but with a new contract for 2-3 years he would fit into our plans really well. as far as louie being stand up etc. we were told the same b.s. when we were trying to resign him, but his agent through up every possible road block to force a trade. i can see him doing the same to force the canucks into a buy out. we shall see how things develop. personally i can see a buy out coming.
A buyout will not happen. It really is that simple. Some team will want him if Gillis lowers his asking price enough.

Castle1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 09:57 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3317 View Post
All true, and though a buyout is unlikely, it sure isnt impossible!

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote