HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Maybe Torts Wasn't the Problem

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-09-2013, 05:02 PM
  #226
chosen
Registered User
 
chosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,625
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
Not specific in regards to "adjusting to his offense" but how about the Bruins series where he never made a change on the forecheck and gave the Bruins an easy outlet pass every time, right up the middle where the third man should have been instructed to go after they did it to us time after time.
That is a fair criticism. However I don't think it is close to the larger issues that have the Rangers at a plateau of good but not good enough. In the end it is always about personnel. Without Hank there would be stark reality of the poor to mediocre personnel.


Last edited by chosen: 06-09-2013 at 06:32 PM.
chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 05:05 PM
  #227
skillhockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,009
vCash: 500
Tortorella has been saboteur in rangers bench. team has no breakout, no ****ing game plan at all. they just dump pucks out of own zone and in opponent zone and try win some battles and maybe get lucky. That's how rangers been playing for few years.

skillhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 05:17 PM
  #228
chosen
Registered User
 
chosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,625
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess What View Post
No. The Bruins have effort in EVERY game. The Rangers played lethargically in half of the games. What you described is contradictory of what the team we lost to did. The only game in that series the Rangers decided to wake up for nearly 60 minutes was the first one, and even then they looked lackluster. Same with game 4. Game 5, they didn't have it.
You stated a lack of effort as fact.

Which players didn't give 100%? Give some names, please.

After you name those players, tell me why they should not be let go.

If what you say is true, then how is it the coach's fault? Are you saying they were sabotaging the coach?

Isn't it the obligation of a player to put in the effort?

I think what you are saying makes no sense and I am looking forward to hear who the guilty parties are.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 06:45 PM
  #229
Grumpy Humphrey
Registered User
 
Grumpy Humphrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,437
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Part of the beauty of The Onion is that if you don't see where the article is from, a lot of times you can think it's real.

Nobody on the planet could ever believe that Tortorella would ever use the phrases "crash the net," "put some shots on net," or anything about getting Boyle's line off the ice.

Grumpy Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 07:32 PM
  #230
JayQueensNY88*
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,185
vCash: 500
Torts was the key problem. That's what is. No if and or buts about it ,IMO atleast

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 07:37 PM
  #231
Jonimaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lund
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,442
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayQueensNY88 View Post
Torts was the key problem. That's what is. No if and or buts about it ,IMO atleast
If he was not, holy **** are we in deep trouble.

Jonimaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 08:16 PM
  #232
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free
 
Nac Mac Feegle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,405
vCash: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonimaus View Post
If he was not, holy **** are we in deep trouble.
Torts lack of adjustment was a problem, but not the problem. The problem has a job for life with this team.

And yeas, the Rangers are in trouble. Deep trouble.

This team is a smorgasbord of players that will take a long time to gel. Add in that most prospects drafted, brought in and playing in the organization have been learning the Torts system and now will have to adjust to whatever the new coach coming in will play (that's if the new coach opens things up, which I doubt because it would be suicide with this team), and there's going to be a bumpy road ahead.

And, of course, Mr. Job For Life will have a panic attack by Feb/March and turnover a chunk of the roster again, negating any progress the team would've started to make in a new system. And around and around we go.....

Nac Mac Feegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 08:17 PM
  #233
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels
 
Silence Of The Plams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,456
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
You stated a lack of effort as fact.

Which players didn't give 100%? Give some names, please.

After you name those players, tell me why they should not be let go.

If what you say is true, then how is it the coach's fault? Are you saying they were sabotaging the coach?

Isn't it the obligation of a player to put in the effort?

I think what you are saying makes no sense and I am looking forward to hear who the guilty parties are.
1-Secondary scoring decided to not play. Nash didn't show. You know who the players are. When the players aren't getting it done on their own, it's up to the coach to make some adaptions, come up with something new. Not to verbally assault them and bench them for the game. Like I said in another thread, Torts' rah rah rah style was burnt out and fast. Know why? He had no tactics outside of the defensive end. I never said whether or not players should be let go. Your argument there is null. The problem is with people like you is that you automatically assume the someone is saying it's only one person's fault and jump on that to sound legit. That's what you're doing. Head coaches are there for reasons more than to just draw on the whiteboard and yell at their guys, I hope you understand that.

2- Sabotaging? What are you? A ninja or spy? Easy to answer; Look at the difference in play between this and last year by the players that are on the team now. I will make sure you know what I said; Players on this team that were there last year too. This is why I put blame on the coaching staff: The players last year played so well and in what can be considered as harmony. Even in the playoffs. This year, (And you can't argue that there was no training camp, because the same problems were showing half way through the season.) Players were lackluster and floating around, I'm letting Callahan and Hagelin to an extent a pass because of a rather serious injury. They weren't nearly as in accordance as they were last year. This goes both ways. However, like many people have stated in this thread and others; the Rah rah rah style of Torts and the way he coaches is only effective for a certain amount of time. He lost the room. Yes, players have to put in effort. But like I said, it goes both ways. You have a coach who cannot adapt to a game or situation, players' actions are going to reflect, and vice versa.

And here's another thing; You can see the lackadaisical attitudes by the body language that players would put out there on the ice at times, IE: Half assed dump and chase without chase, less attention to detail when, say, clearing the crease or sutffing home a rebound. They showed an inconsistent level of effort. This goes both ways, again. But I take it that you are in the "Ship players out" boat.

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 08:21 PM
  #234
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels
 
Silence Of The Plams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,456
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the caddy View Post
And yet my point still remains. The Bruins are one of the best teams in hockey but still manage to go through periods of inconsistent play. There is no team immune to it.
Yes, but more teams are resistant to it. IE: Bruins. Their staff and players are in accordance with one another and it shows, even in what you call "Inconsistency". IMO, inconsistent is something different than what you call it. What you describe, to me, is a team or player that's in a funk and or slump. Inconsistency, TO ME, is when there is no steady pattern of anything in your game, IE: winning a game 5-2 say, then getting paddled on the ass next game, so on and so forth. When players don't work together and everyone isn't functioning together. That's the sort of inconsistency that will really kill. When there is no harmony in play and coaching staff.

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 08:21 PM
  #235
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 56,297
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nac Mac Feegle View Post
Torts lack of adjustment was a problem, but not the problem. The problem has a job for life with this team.

And yeas, the Rangers are in trouble. Deep trouble.
Yes, a team that made it to the second round and whose key players are mostly under the age of 25/26 are in deep trouble.

Give me a break with the dramatics, people.

__________________

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 08:26 PM
  #236
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels
 
Silence Of The Plams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,456
vCash: 500
Anyone who says this team is in deep trouble when a lot of their players, both up and coming and already on the team, who are under 30 for the most part, needs a reality check. They want the drama of bringing in and shipping out players that seem shiny.

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 08:27 PM
  #237
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 56,297
vCash: 300
The only way this team would be in "deep trouble" is if Lundqvist leaves for nothing.

I don't think Slats would let that happen.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 08:27 PM
  #238
JohnC
#FreeSteve
 
JohnC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 4,555
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Yes, a team that made it to the second round and whose key players are mostly under the age of 25/26 are in deep trouble.

Give me a break with the dramatics, people.
Would it be HFNYR without dramatics?

JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 08:31 PM
  #239
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels
 
Silence Of The Plams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,456
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
The only way this team would be in "deep trouble" is if Lundqvist leaves for nothing.

I don't think Slats would let that happen.
But we should trade him for an underpayment or propose an unreal deal!

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 09:13 PM
  #240
Kwayry
Take the damn deal
 
Kwayry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Plano
Country: United States
Posts: 2,914
vCash: 500
Any rumors where Torts may land?

Kwayry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 10:33 PM
  #241
stan the caddy
Registered User
 
stan the caddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,647
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess What View Post
Anyone who says this team is in deep trouble when a lot of their players, both up and coming and already on the team, who are under 30 for the most part, needs a reality check. They want the drama of bringing in and shipping out players that seem shiny.
The current Rangers roster isn't all that impressive. Team is packed with good skaters but the offense is what it is. The best Rangers forward has been outside of the top 30 in points more than he's been in it over his career. Stanley Cup expectations are unreasonable.

stan the caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 11:02 PM
  #242
TheRightWay
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,524
vCash: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the caddy View Post
The current Rangers roster isn't all that impressive. Team is packed with good skaters but the offense is what it is. The best Rangers forward has been outside of the top 30 in points more than he's been in it over his career. Stanley Cup expectations are unreasonable.
Please point out all of the "impressive" forwards on the Bruins.

TheRightWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 11:11 PM
  #243
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs
 
mrjimmyg89's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,855
vCash: 500
The more you look at it, he was the issue. Torts did build up this youth though and always promoted youth when he first got here. He worked great to build them into NHL players. He is a great motivator. His strategy did them in. talent is no longer an issue on this team, but depth on top of that talent is. This is not the one line Rangers when Straka/Nylander/Jagr were carrying them. A new approach and voice could be what they need. They tuned him out during the season. They looked as though they were self sustaining for a while. A team going to the 2nd round in spite of a coach? There are a lot less issues on this team. Torts was right about one thing: This season was a sideways step

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 11:18 PM
  #244
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Rangers Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,489
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
The more you look at it, he was the issue. Torts did build up this youth though and always promoted youth when he first got here. He worked great to build them into NHL players. He is a great motivator. His strategy did them in. talent is no longer an issue on this team, but depth on top of that talent is. This is not the one line Rangers when Straka/Nylander/Jagr were carrying them. A new approach and voice could be what they need. They tuned him out during the season. They looked as though they were self sustaining for a while. A team going to the 2nd round in spite of a coach? There are a lot less issues on this team. Torts was right about one thing: This season was a sideways step
It was a backwards step.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 11:33 PM
  #245
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs
 
mrjimmyg89's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind Jam Grind View Post
It was a backwards step.
Backwards step in personnel to fit his system. Results are on par with the roster he had to his needs. His lack of ability to switch it up was an issue. Team talent got better. Richards went backwards too, but he is likely gone. Much more talnted roster now though, Adding Nash, Brassard, and Moore from C-bus are all talented players. Lost more of the grinder/tough 3rd line guys. Added more to the top 6. Need to fill out the roster again. Can be done with the young players coming in.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 11:54 PM
  #246
stan the caddy
Registered User
 
stan the caddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,647
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRightWay View Post
Please point out all of the "impressive" forwards on the Bruins.
Bergeron, Krejci, Segiun, Horton, Lucic, and Marchand. Bergeron just locked down Crosby. Krejci is well over a point per game in the playoffs and Marchand was arguably the best player in the Rangers/Bruins series.

Their bottom 6 kills ours and they also have a goalie along with a Norris winning defenseman.

stan the caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 11:57 PM
  #247
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRightWay View Post
Please point out all of the "impressive" forwards on the Bruins.
Lucic, Krejci, Horton, Bergeron, Marchand, Seguin, Jagr, Peverley.

And some of the best 4th liners in the game, Campbell, Kelly and Paille.

And probably the best enforcer skill wised in the league, Thornton.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 12:01 AM
  #248
stan the caddy
Registered User
 
stan the caddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,647
vCash: 500
And that's only the Bruins. The Rangers have a long history of getting spanked by the high powered Pens offense.

stan the caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 03:42 AM
  #249
chosen
Registered User
 
chosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,625
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess What View Post
1-Secondary scoring decided to not play. Nash didn't show. You know who the players are. When the players aren't getting it done on their own, it's up to the coach to make some adaptions, come up with something new. Not to verbally assault them and bench them for the game. Like I said in another thread, Torts' rah rah rah style was burnt out and fast. Know why? He had no tactics outside of the defensive end. I never said whether or not players should be let go. Your argument there is null. The problem is with people like you is that you automatically assume the someone is saying it's only one person's fault and jump on that to sound legit. That's what you're doing. Head coaches are there for reasons more than to just draw on the whiteboard and yell at their guys, I hope you understand that.

2- Sabotaging? What are you? A ninja or spy? Easy to answer; Look at the difference in play between this and last year by the players that are on the team now. I will make sure you know what I said; Players on this team that were there last year too. This is why I put blame on the coaching staff: The players last year played so well and in what can be considered as harmony. Even in the playoffs. This year, (And you can't argue that there was no training camp, because the same problems were showing half way through the season.) Players were lackluster and floating around, I'm letting Callahan and Hagelin to an extent a pass because of a rather serious injury. They weren't nearly as in accordance as they were last year. This goes both ways. However, like many people have stated in this thread and others; the Rah rah rah style of Torts and the way he coaches is only effective for a certain amount of time. He lost the room. Yes, players have to put in effort. But like I said, it goes both ways. You have a coach who cannot adapt to a game or situation, players' actions are going to reflect, and vice versa.

And here's another thing; You can see the lackadaisical attitudes by the body language that players would put out there on the ice at times, IE: Half assed dump and chase without chase, less attention to detail when, say, clearing the crease or sutffing home a rebound. They showed an inconsistent level of effort. This goes both ways, again. But I take it that you are in the "Ship players out" boat.
If you believe that Nash was not trying, I could not disagree more. And if that is your belief, you should be screaming for the Rangers to trade Nash. Right?

Which secondary scorers did not try?

Sabotaging does not refer to spying. It means gasing your own coach. It has happened many times in sports. Do you think the Rangers who did not try to win were consciously trying to get Torts fired?

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 03:45 AM
  #250
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 56,297
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Lucic, Krejci, Horton, Bergeron, Marchand, Seguin, Jagr, Peverley.

And some of the best 4th liners in the game, Campbell, Kelly and Paille.

And probably the best enforcer skill wised in the league, Thornton.
Peverley "impressive" Decent player, nothing more. Seguin has also been particularly unimpressive in the playoffs. As has Kelly.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:44 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.