HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Broken hand...

Old
10-11-2006, 02:56 PM
Ti-girl

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Broken hand...

I took a really bad two handed slash on my hand a while ago. It didn't initally hurt as bad as I thought it should, but I went to the doctor last week and it turns out I broke a bone in my wrist and broke a knuckle.

Means I'm not cleared to play on my tier one team. I'm still playing on a rec team but I have to "be very careful" and I have to keep my hand taped whenever I play.

Should I play or should I just forget about it for the next 6 weeks?

Ti-girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 03:01 PM
Hank19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti-girl View Post
I took a really bad two handed slash on my hand a while ago. It didn't initally hurt as bad as I thought it should, but I went to the doctor last week and it turns out I broke a bone in my wrist and broke a knuckle.

Means I'm not cleared to play on my tier one team. I'm still playing on a rec team but I have to "be very careful" and I have to keep my hand taped whenever I play.

Yikes! 6 weeks is a long time. If you can, play the rec league and take it easy out there.

I broke my foot last season and I was out for 3 months. It killed me.

Hank19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 03:21 PM
Ti-girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank19 View Post
Yikes! 6 weeks is a long time. If you can, play the rec league and take it easy out there.

I broke my foot last season and I was out for 3 months. It killed me.
Well they said it would have been less had I realised I broke it before. And plus its my hand and knuckle. Knuckle I think is from punching a girl behind the play.

Old
10-11-2006, 03:29 PM
Hank19*

Quote:
Well they said it would have been less had I realised I broke it before. And plus its my hand and knuckle. Knuckle I think is from punching a girl behind the play.
Hot!

Hank19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 03:35 PM
Ti-girl

She ran our goalie and took off her helmet with a high stick. So I told her that if she did it one more time I would aim for her head with a shot. So she slashed me across the back of the legs.

So I punched her when I was skating off the ice.

Though, hand meet cage tends to hurt.

Old
10-11-2006, 03:36 PM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
Knuckle I think is from punching a girl behind the play.
I'm glad you can still type because that's damn funny.
I've never had a broken bone but you might be better off letting it heal -- at least give it a couple of weeks and see how it feels. My concern is if the bone moves around as it heals, especially in the earlier stages, it could set wrong and then you have to either live with a badly healed hand or a doctor would need to break it again and reset it.

But then all my medical knowledge comes from watching tv.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 03:38 PM
Ti-girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyNetter View Post
I'm glad you can still type because that's damn funny.
I've never had a broken bone but you might be better off letting it heal -- at least give it a couple of weeks and see how it feels. My concern is if the bone moves around as it heals, especially in the earlier stages, it could set wrong and then you have to either live with a badly healed hand or a doctor would need to break it again and reset it.

But then all my medical knowledge comes from watching tv.
Well its only the pointer in my right hand that really impedes my typing. And I make up for it with my other fingers. Especially the middle one. It has the most practice.

Old
10-11-2006, 03:38 PM
stick9

Quote:

Ask Jason Allison, Anson Carter and Sergei Samsonov about playing thru a wrist injury.

IMO, if you aren't getting paid to play you should probably take the time off and let it heal. Wrist injuries have a way of lingering. I know I went thru it myself, all 10 months of it.

The knuckle is no biggy.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 07:24 PM
Talent Analyst

My brother broke his hand 1 month ago and he just go to the doctor today and 2 week left ... you really can't play games . But you can go practice without tuch a puck and skate .

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 07:52 PM
Polska

The break can't be that bad if A) you didn't notice it was broken and B) you're still playing. Probably a hairline fracture. If it doesn't hurt and you wanna play, go for it. If you wanna play it safe, take some time off.

P.S. You know a Heather McKenzie? I think she played tier one in Calgary.

Polska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 07:52 PM
Gino 14

Quote:
She ran our goalie and took off her helmet with a high stick. So I told her that if she did it one more time I would aim for her head with a shot. So she slashed me across the back of the legs.

So I punched her when I was skating off the ice.

Though, hand meet cage tends to hurt.
First, if someone ran my goalie like that, they would not have gotten off with a warning. No one gets a free shot at my goalie. Warning someone like that is gonna get you a cheap shot 9 times out of ten. Punching someone with your fist in a cage, well you know now how stupid that is.

Take some time off or you may screw your hand up so bad you have no choice but to stop playing.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 12:14 AM
RangersMoogle

Send a message via AIM to RangersMoogle Send a message via MSN to RangersMoogle
I'd play it safe and take some time off. Not the full six weeks, go back when you feel comfortable with it. If you already feel comfortable with it, well, knock yourself out.

RangersMoogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 05:54 AM
vexXed

You should take the time off, but if you think it is healing faster than normal, tape it up and play easy. I broke my hand punching the wall (with the glove on... Pro Tacks my ***...) when I was on the bench as our team had just let in a tying goal with 1 minute left. I had the glove on and I thought that my forearm had snapped from the shock, but it was my 5th metacarpal bone... I started playing about 5/6 weeks after it broke but I think mine took longer to heal than normal.

The most important thing is the physio you need to do to regain strength once it heals up. I didn't do any and my hand still gives me some discomfort, which sucks when it's for the rest of my life.

vexXed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 06:47 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
Ask Jason Allison, Anson Carter and Sergei Samsonov about playing thru a wrist injury.

IMO, if you aren't getting paid to play you should probably take the time off and let it heal. Wrist injuries have a way of lingering. I know I went thru it myself, all 10 months of it.
I'm finding this out for myself. I injured my right wrist playing roller hockey back at the start of March during training. There was 10 minutes left so I figured I'd carry on even though I couldn't hold the stick properly with my right hand. I got it x-rayed the day after but didn't find out what was wrong with it until 2.5 weeks later as xrays were inconclusive. Turns out it was a damaged muscle and I took the next three weeks off from playing (and returned too soon as I was fairly useless for the next 8 weeks, but fortunately I didn't injure it further). Most of my range of movement in that wrist is back now and a decent amount of strength, but it's still not 100%.

If you have any doubts over a wrist injury, rest it. It sucks not to play hockey but things can easily go wrong with a wrist injury. Doctors I saw and research I did on wrist injuries said sometimes you break a bone but it only feels like a sprain, and sometimes you sprain a muscle and it feels like a broken bone. So if you don't know what you are dealing with, its easy to do something you shouldn't. Add to that, bones in the wrist can take an incredible amount of time to heal (scaphoid bone I think takes longest or close to longest time to heal of all bones in the body) so you don't want to chance it if you can avoid it. And not just because of hockey. Look at what Sheldon Souray went through. The guy had so many opperations he was at the point where one more and he would likely have had to retire. If he'd pushed his wrist any further, he might not have been able to drive, open doors or pick up shopping, let alone take 100mph+ slapshots.

Best advice I have for anyone with a wrist injury, don't do anything until you know EXACTLY what is wrong and then, once you do, take plenty of time to let it recover. I was stupid to return to the game after 3 weeks off, most of the time I could only play with one hand on the stick anyways so I didn't get much out of it. I also couldn't drive for a month after it happened. But now I'd rather miss a couple of months of driving/hockey/whatever else just to be on the safe side and not risk having to live without driving/hockey/etc.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 06:51 PM
KingChris

Quote:
Especially the middle one. It has the most practice.
Am I the only one who got this?

KingChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 07:01 PM
Grizzly Adams

You would be wise to take the time off.

Grizzly Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 09:49 PM
EmptyNetter