HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

UFA Thread

Closed Thread

Old
06-09-2013, 10:21 AM
Seth Lake

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
Is it legal for DP to approach Josi to suggest he speak to Streit about coming here before the start of FA?
No, that would be considered tampering because Streit is still property of the Islanders. However, if they were just having a causal conversation and the topic was brought up... Poile simply cannot initiate the conversation, but I'm sure it has been mentioned during exit interviews that he's interested, if he is indeed interested...

Old
06-09-2013, 12:18 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
No, that would be considered tampering because Streit is still property of the Islanders. However, if they were just having a causal conversation and the topic was brought up... Poile simply cannot initiate the conversation, but I'm sure it has been mentioned during exit interviews that he's interested, if he is indeed interested...
Given that Poile has said Ekholm and Ellis are pencilled into this year's lineup, even if Blum is traded\not tendered, it sounds like there's not really a plan to bring in a defenseman, which is unfortunate.

Old
06-09-2013, 12:29 PM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post

How are any of those players better than what we have?
Clitsome would be a good pick up as a #4/5 defenseman and would come cheap. Would be good insurance against guys like Blum/Bartley/Ellis/Ekholm not panning out and Gill's play getting worse.

Both Filpulla and Dupuis are better than any wing we currently have, and, with the exception of Wilson, it ain't even close.

Old
06-09-2013, 12:30 PM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
Given that Poile has said Ekholm and Ellis are pencilled into this year's lineup, even if Blum is traded\not tendered, it sounds like there's not really a plan to bring in a defenseman, which is unfortunate.
I'm curious who you put on the second pairing if we don't get anyone. I'm not sure it's Bartley despite his surprisingly solid play last year. Really curious to see what Ekholm looks like next year.

Old
06-09-2013, 12:38 PM
Top 6 Spaling

I think Poile will try to get someone like Streit, but won't overpay. If we don't like the price, he just gives up, tries to upgrade the forwards, and lets Ellis, Ekholm, Blum, Bartley, and Tollefson fight for the spot on the 2nd pairing. Surely one of those guys can handle the minutes. Then again, I expect at least one of them, along with possibly Gill, to not be on our team come opening night.

Old
06-09-2013, 01:08 PM
Byrddog

If DP does not pick up another D for top 4 and its not a given he will the most logical thing they could do would be to pair Josi with Klein and Weber with Ellis or Ekholm of whom can carry the puck something Weber is weak at it would place heavy shots on each pair. It be a better option than to pair Ellis or Ekholm with KK. The other of the two will pair with Gill and Bartley will most likely be the spare. Blum will be moved even if it is for a pick there is just no room for two smallish defensemen and Blum is the odd man out really. This will mean that both Ellis and Ekholm will have to step up but I don't see a Hannan type 3rd pair guy being brought in. It is decision time for the young guys.

If DP does go out and sign a D-man then you can pretty much be sure that Ellis and Blum will be moved. It can also be expected that 3rd round and beyond will be used to stock the pipeline with more defensemen. Now if by some chance Jones drops in our lap then the whole plan would change.

Old
06-09-2013, 01:50 PM
Infinite Jest

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
Clitsome would be a good pick up as a #4/5 defenseman and would come cheap. Would be good insurance against guys like Blum/Bartley/Ellis/Ekholm not panning out and Gill's play getting worse.

Both Filpulla and Dupuis are better than any wing we currently have, and, with the exception of Wilson, it ain't even close.
I agree, though neither are better than the Wilson we saw this year, we'll just have to see if the same Wilson shows up for next year. People can say Dupuis is a product of Crosby, but he did produce without him during Crosby's injuries, just not quite as much. Dupuis is speedy, has decent hands and gives 110% each and every shift. He's also great on the PK. I'd love to add him honestly.

Filpulla has skill and is decent in the D-zone. He also might improve his stats with more playing time. All that being said, it really isn't hard at all to be an upgrade over our current wingers...

Old
06-09-2013, 02:17 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Something to keep in mind is that we have a nearly full roster. Anyone we sign, F or D, will push someone to the press box for Milwaukee - or force a trade. I'm good with bringing in some new blood, but that means we have to make space for them as well.

I hope we also make a few under the radar moves to get guys who will be very good AHL forwards that can play in the NHL if need be. Last years injuries taught us how important those guys are.

Old
06-09-2013, 03:56 PM
PFL615

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Something to keep in mind is that we have a nearly full roster. Anyone we sign, F or D, will push someone to the press box for Milwaukee - or force a trade. I'm good with bringing in some new blood, but that means we have to make space for them as well.

I hope we also make a few under the radar moves to get guys who will be very good AHL forwards that can play in the NHL if need be. Last years injuries taught us how important those guys are.
Not going to be full when SK, Yip, Halischuck, Spaling, Blum, and maybe more are gone in the offseason..

Old
06-09-2013, 03:58 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
If DP does not pick up another D for top 4 and its not a given he will the most logical thing they could do would be to pair Josi with Klein and Weber with Ellis or Ekholm of whom can carry the puck something Weber is weak at it would place heavy shots on each pair. It be a better option than to pair Ellis or Ekholm with KK. The other of the two will pair with Gill and Bartley will most likely be the spare. Blum will be moved even if it is for a pick there is just no room for two smallish defensemen and Blum is the odd man out really. This will mean that both Ellis and Ekholm will have to step up but I don't see a Hannan type 3rd pair guy being brought in. It is decision time for the young guys.

If DP does go out and sign a D-man then you can pretty much be sure that Ellis and Blum will be moved. It can also be expected that 3rd round and beyond will be used to stock the pipeline with more defensemen. Now if by some chance Jones drops in our lap then the whole plan would change.
If you pair a rookie or young guy in the top pairing he will be going up against top lines. I'd rather have lesser minutes for lesser defensemen. And IMHO Ellis wouldn't last long against that type pounding in those kind of minutes.

Old
06-09-2013, 04:22 PM
Byrddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
If you pair a rookie or young guy in the top pairing he will be going up against top lines. I'd rather have lesser minutes for lesser defensemen. And IMHO Ellis wouldn't last long against that type pounding in those kind of minutes.
If he breaks he breaks but we had Zidlicky who is the same size played top pair minutes through his career. Im not convinced Ellis is top pair but theres no way to put one of the younger guys on the second pair with KK. Ekholm may be the solution who knows the prospects of finding a top 4 guy are pretty slim in the UFA market. Cycling culls like Hannan thru should not be an option.

Old
06-10-2013, 07:07 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Zidlicky was bigger than Ellis. Ellis is Ronning's size.

Old
06-10-2013, 08:29 AM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
If he breaks he breaks but we had Zidlicky who is the same size played top pair minutes through his career. Im not convinced Ellis is top pair but theres no way to put one of the younger guys on the second pair with KK. Ekholm may be the solution who knows the prospects of finding a top 4 guy are pretty slim in the UFA market. Cycling culls like Hannan thru should not be an option.
I thought Bartley did fine with Klein last year. I would do that again before I broke up Josi and Weber; let them develop into Suter/Weber v2 that can eat 25+ mins a night and be the bar none best pairing in the league in a year or two (assuming Shatty / Pietro are broken up). I'd rather have a killer top pairing with some uncertainty on the 2nd pairing, then a more solid 2nd pairing, but a questionable first pairing who is going to be doing the most work against the most dangerous opposing players.

Old
06-10-2013, 08:33 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashville View Post
I thought Bartley did fine with Klein last year. I would do that again before I broke up Josi and Weber; let them develop into Suter/Weber v2 that can eat 25+ mins a night and be the bar none best pairing in the league in a year or two (assuming Shatty / Pietro are broken up). I'd rather have a killer top pairing with some uncertainty on the 2nd pairing, then a more solid 2nd pairing, but a questionable first pairing who is going to be doing the most work against the most dangerous opposing players.
Bartley started to break down toward the end. I don't think it will work for a full year. He did "okay" on the second pairing of an awful team for a while, but I think expecting him to carry 20-22 minutes per game for a whole season is asking too much. He's better suited for the third pair.

Old
06-10-2013, 11:08 AM
AintLifeGrand

Why not go for Raptor Jezus and play him at Wing??

To Bos: SK79

to Nsh: Peverley

Old
06-10-2013, 11:15 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by AintLifeGrand View Post
Why not go for Raptor Jezus and play him at Wing??

To Bos: SK79

to Nsh: Peverley
I obviously love Pevs, but I doubt Nashville wants to go down that road again.

Old
06-10-2013, 11:21 AM
RCola88

Good and respectable lineup. What do you think?

I have looked around at the free agents and one that nobody seems to mention is Michael Ryder. I have followed him and he scores big goals and puts up points. I think if we added him, depending on how Stalberg goes, we could add 2nd or 3rd line forward that can score. Ryder can also support Barkov and FF, which could be or top line for all we know.

Line up could look like this:

Bourque - Leggy - Horny
Sergei - Fisher - Wilson
Forsberg - Barkov - Ryder
Craig/Clune - Goose - Beck

Weber - Josi
Klein - (Possible sign or trade defensemen)
Gill - Ekholm/Bartley/Blum

Secondly, I dont see Ellis cracking the D core again. So possibly throw him in a trade with SK+ to get that top 4 D man and open up a spot to have Clune and Smith in the lineup. It isn't flashy or that top goal scoring we need, but it is a solid lineup. This lineup could also keep the Preds in the playoff hunt up until the trade deadline to pick up a top forward like Stastny.

Old
06-10-2013, 11:35 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCola88 View Post
I have looked around at the free agents and one that nobody seems to mention is Michael Ryder. I have followed him and he scores big goals and puts up points. I think if we added him, depending on how Stalberg goes, we could add 2nd or 3rd line forward that can score. Ryder can also support Barkov and FF, which could be or top line for all we know.

Line up could look like this:

Bourque - Leggy - Horny
Sergei - Fisher - Wilson
Forsberg - Barkov - Ryder
Craig/Clune - Goose - Beck

Weber - Josi
Klein - (Possible sign or trade defensemen)
Gill - Ekholm/Bartley/Blum

Secondly, I dont see Ellis cracking the D core again. So possibly throw him in a trade with SK+ to get that top 4 D man and open up a spot to have Clune and Smith in the lineup. It isn't flashy or that top goal scoring we need, but it is a solid lineup. This lineup could also keep the Preds in the playoff hunt up until the trade deadline to pick up a top forward like Stastny.
I like the idea of Ryder being one of the acquisitions ... I don't like the UFA Dmen out there at all (Streit isn't a top 4 dman) hate to break it to everyone else here.

Old
06-10-2013, 11:36 AM
RCola88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
I like the idea of Ryder being one of the acquisitions ... I don't like the UFA Dmen out there at all (Streit isn't a top 4 dman) hate to break it to everyone else here.
Totally agree. I wasn't really thinking of Streit to be honest more of trading for a D man.

Old
06-10-2013, 11:37 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Welcome to the boards!

I've read quite a bit about Ryder and fans of the teams he's played for lately all say the same thing: he has a great shot, but that's it. He's average or worse at defense, skating, passing, etc. That said, we need a pure shooter, so I don't mind adding him, we just have to be sure he and Trotzy can co exist. God knows we are missing a true sniper.

I also think we would need to add a little more depth. if even half of the injuries we had last year strike again, our forward corps gets pretty miserable pretty fast.

Old
06-10-2013, 11:40 AM
RCola88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
I've read quite a bit about Ryder and fans of the teams he's played for lately all say the same thing: he has a great shot, but that's it. He's average or worse at defense, skating, passing, etc. That said, we need a pure shooter, so I don't mind adding him, we just have to be sure he and Trotzy can co exist. God knows we are missing a true sniper.
Preds need somebody who can and will shoot the puck. We have enough forwards who can play defense, so we need to branch out. Maybe put him on the line with Fish and SK, who are both defensively sound to help Ryder out. Also could help out SK to pass to a sniper every once and a while.

First post, Thanks!

Old
06-10-2013, 11:42 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Preds need somebody who can and will shoot the puck. We have enough forwards who can play defense, so we need to branch out. Maybe put him on the line with Fish and SK, who are both defensively sound to help Ryder out. Also could help out SK to pass to a sniper every once and a while.

First post, Thanks!
I totally agree we should add him, I just am saying he can't do us much good if he's watching the game from the press box because he doesn't play enough defense for Trotz. We always have to be careful about acquiring players who are questionable defensively.

Old
06-10-2013, 11:54 AM
Byrddog

Quote:
Totally agree. I wasn't really thinking of Streit to be honest more of trading for a D man.
Streit has already turned down 4 mil a year for 3 years he wants 5 mil for 4 years. Do not see that happening at his age. I don't see any UFA that would interest DP on the blueline so if he can't wrangle a trade there will be one of our young guys on the 1st or 2nd pair.

Old
06-10-2013, 11:57 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Should this be merged with the UFA Thread? Or maybe we just need an off-season thread with this, the UFA thread, and trade proposals?

Anyway, I agree we won't go the Streit route unless he will take a discount to come play with Josi. We just have to hope Bertley/Ellis/Blum/OKT progresses better than we expect.

Old
06-10-2013, 12:19 PM
doug88

I'd love to see James Neal on this team, I mean Pittsburgh definitely needs to get rid of some players if they want to offer a big contract to Malkin. I feel like we can make a reasonable trade to get him, like Smith + 2nd round choice

Closed Thread