HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kris Letang

Old
06-10-2013, 09:31 AM
mr sidney crosby

vCash: 500
Kris Letang

It's pretty obvious that Ray Shero wants to keep Malkin, and Malkin is willing. Also, that means Letang is most likely available. What would you have to give up for Letang?

mr sidney crosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 09:37 AM
BrawlFan

Real hard to judge his value for me. He plays on an offensive dynamo and a defensive structure that resembles my NHL 13 strategy.

I'd say he's worth a top 10 pick straight up, maybe a B prospect.
OR
A Goligoski + mid 1st round pick

Why?

He's got great offensive ability and loves to jump in. He can skate, is young , and can hit people in open ice.

Those are the pros. The cons however are:
- Once you leave Pittsburgh I see his cross checks to weaker players getting called more often.
- His defensive game is horrible, based on this last two years of playoff hockey (elmination series in particular)
- He pinches too often and has poor timing.

The uncertainties:
- How many points will he get without Crosby, Malkin, Neal. Think about the three players I just mentioned #jealous

BrawlFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 09:59 AM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

vCash: 900
Bieksa + Schneider.

Gives a solid replacement and a great young goaltender.

If that doesn't work, what would from Vancouver?

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 10:11 AM
BrawlFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Bieksa + Schneider.

So.... a team with
Hambuis
Ballard
Garrisson
Edler

is going to give up a potential #1 Goalie AND!!! Kevin Bieksa, who adds a dimenson I think Vancouver needs more of for Letang?

Why is Vancouver going to do this? Lets say Letang is worth A Cory Schneider and A Kevin Bieksa, why is Vancouver going to make this trade?

You do realize your division next year is going to be a tough, hard hitting one right? The Western Conference is not a good place to have too many Letangs, Ballards, or Garrissons.

Old
06-10-2013, 10:13 AM
tony d
Honey Nut Cheerios

Ottawa would give up Jared Cowen, Milan Michalek and a 2013 2nd to get Letang from Pittsburgh.

06-10-2013, 10:14 AM
goldy2266

Quote:
Bieksa + Schneider.

That's actually not bad at all, from my point of view. A potential number one goalie and a top four D man with grit.... just need to find a PP QB.

goldy2266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 10:14 AM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrawlFan View Post
So.... a team with
Hambuis
Ballard
Garrisson
Edler

is going to give up a potential #1 Goalie AND!!! Kevin Bieksa, who adds a dimenson I think Vancouver needs more of for Letang?

Why is Vancouver going to do this? Lets say Letang is worth A Cory Schneider and A Kevin Bieksa, why is Vancouver going to make this trade?

You do realize your division next year is going to be a tough, hard hitting one right? The Western Conference is not a good place to have too many Letangs, Ballards, or Garrissons.
Letang and Garrison are both very physical. Ballard won't be on our roster next year.

We need someone to generate offense from our back end and help out our PP. Letang can definitely do that. I think if we move anyone from our back end it will be Bieksa simply because he wasn't just re-signed and didn't take a hometown discount to the same degree as Hamhuis, Garrison, or Edler.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 10:15 AM
goldy2266

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
Ottawa would give up Jared Cowen, Milan Michalek and a 2013 2nd to get Letang from Pittsburgh.
I'd do this one as well!!!! and in a heart beat!

goldy2266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 10:16 AM
oconnor9sean
Benn & Seguin

I'd love Letang on the Stars. Pairing him with Brenden Dillon would make for an amazing 1st line.

oconnor9sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 10:16 AM
vecens24

Yeah I don't think that Malkin staying means Letang goes. Malkin's cap hit will go up at most 1.5M, Letang's will go up about 2.5-3M, and they can just buy out/trade Fleury if it's at their expense.

Notice that Shero still hasn't given Fleury a vote of confidence, even though Bylsma did. Letang is a 26 year old Norris Trophy nominee (even if it was somewhat dubious by most standards). Just because he had one horrific series doesn't mean that he's going to get moved. Hell, Letang had 16 points in 11 games prior to the Boston series. On the other hand, this is becoming a bit too much of a recurring theme for Fleury, so that's who goes, not Letang.

vecens24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 10:17 AM
SuburbanRhythm
WorldClassJagoff

Quote:
Letang and Garrison are both very physical. Ballard won't be on our roster next year.

We need someone to generate offense from our back end and help out our PP. Letang can definitely do that. I think if we move anyone from our back end it will be Bieksa simply because he wasn't just re-signed and didn't take a hometown discount to stay here.
This isn't a shot at you. Honest.

But people keep saying he'll help on the PP. He won't. As hard as it is to believe, he's worse on the PP than 5 on 5. ES, he doesn't have to think too much, and can transition D to O among the best in the league. And, contrary to popular belief, play solidly defensively because of his skating.

On the PP, he's either holding the puck, not shooting one-timers, or putting passes in the skates of the other point man.

SuburbanRhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 10:18 AM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
if i'm pittsburgh i take that and run. Maybe try to get a younger winger than michalek but that's not a bad offer

Hugo Sham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 10:19 AM
SuburbanRhythm
WorldClassJagoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
Yeah I don't think that Malkin staying means Letang goes. Malkin's cap hit will go up at most 1.5M, Letang's will go up about 2.5-3M, and they can just buy out/trade Fleury if it's at their expense.

Notice that Shero still hasn't given Fleury a vote of confidence, even though Bylsma did.
It's been mentioned Letang is looking to double his salary, + a full NMC.

I am a huge Letang fan, but with the Penguins roster as it's currently constructed, I don't want to pay him $7m a year.

Old
06-10-2013, 10:20 AM
vecens24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanRhythm View Post
It's been mentioned Letang is looking to double his salary, + a full NMC.

I am a huge Letang fan, but with the Penguins roster as it's currently constructed, I don't want to pay him $7m a year.
That's what two-way Norris Trophy nominees are worth, nowadays. I'd rather just dump Fleury and Orpik (given what's coming in the pipeline) than get rid of Letang.

(I don't mean to be dismissive of this as a possibility, by the way. It clearly is possible. I'd just rather keep him and let him continue developing)

vecens24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 10:23 AM
penguins2946*

A deal I proposed yesterday that Wings fans thought was fair was:

Smith (8.0 B), Nyquist (8.0 C), another prospect and a 1st for Letang

Unless your offers can top that, they are too little.

penguins2946* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 10:37 AM
mr sidney crosby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Crash View Post
A deal I proposed yesterday that Wings fans thought was fair was:

Smith (8.0 B), Nyquist (8.0 C), another prospect and a 1st for Letang

Unless your offers can top that, they are too little.
Add Teemu Pulkkinen and you have a deal

Old
06-10-2013, 10:40 AM
BrawlFan

Based on this thread I feel like people are going to amazed at how little Letang is going to return in a trade.

Old
06-10-2013, 10:43 AM
mr sidney crosby

Quote:
Based on this thread I feel like people are going to amazed at how little Letang is going to return in a trade.
How? For the Jordan Staal trade the penguins received a top 10 pick, an nhl forward, and a good prospect. Letang > Staal

Old
06-10-2013, 10:46 AM
BrawlFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr sidney crosby View Post
How? For the Jordan Staal trade the penguins received a top 10 pick, an nhl forward, and a good prospect. Letang > Staal
the hype around Staal was something else. Letang is not as good as player as Staal.

I just dont think he is going to garner the return ppl are mentioning on this thread, thats all.

Old
06-10-2013, 10:50 AM
SuburbanRhythm
WorldClassJagoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
That's what two-way Norris Trophy nominees are worth, nowadays. I'd rather just dump Fleury and Orpik (given what's coming in the pipeline) than get rid of Letang.

(I don't mean to be dismissive of this as a possibility, by the way. It clearly is possible. I'd just rather keep him and let him continue developing)
Agree except that I'd argue the guys on the way up are more in the mold of Letang than Orpik.

Old
06-10-2013, 10:51 AM
MovesLikeJagr68

Quote:
Whitney brought back Kunitz and Tangradi.
Goligoski brought back Neal and Niskanen.
Puck moving dmen like Letang get you big returns.

MovesLikeJagr68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 10:54 AM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
the hype around Staal was something else. Letang is not as good as player as Staal.

I just dont think he is going to garner the return ppl are mentioning on this thread, thats all.
then what is the point of even discussing it? to prod Pens fans about their roster issues once again?

also, about your earlier offer (Goligoski + mid 1st), i don't even think about that one before hanging up the phone.

domaug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 10:55 AM
BrawlFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovesLikeJagr68 View Post
Whitney brought back Kunitz and Tangradi.
Goligoski brought back Neal and Niskanen.
Puck moving dmen like Letang get you big returns.
Kunitz and Tangradi are good players but lets not call that return a steal. It was fair at the time

I think every single person in the hockey world thought Pittsburgh made out like bandits in the Goligoski trade, it wasnt fair at the time and still isnt.

Your taking two trades that arent the same. If Letang returns the Kunitz type return ppl on this thread are gonna be angered as the return is much lower than what is being proposed. They are proposing the type of return that Goligoski had and I dont see that coming from Letang.

Old
06-10-2013, 10:56 AM
BrawlFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by domaug View Post
then what is the point of even discussing it? to prod Pens fans about their roster issues once again?

also, about your earlier offer (Goligoski + mid 1st), i don't even think about that one before hanging up the phone.
Thats what I think hes worth. I feel that he has benefited from playing for a great team and his defensive game is extermely poor. I still think he's a good player and that return is nothing to sneeze at.

Old
06-10-2013, 12:20 PM
Lacaar

How about from Edmonton.

7th Overall. Nick Schultz or Gernat/Musil if you prefer a prospect.

Letang with extension 5-7 years.

Lacaar is offline   Reply With Quote