HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Send Lats To Junior

Old
10-11-2006, 03:59 PM
onemorecup*

vCash: 500
Send Lats To Junior

If we are going to play him on a 4th line and rot send him back down and bring up Kosty . After the 9th game do him a favour and give him ice time, then hopefully next year we play him with players can work with . Like I said before we are too scared to play a kid, mainly cups of coffee on 4th lines or a kid plays well in a few games and gets demoted later on . We didn`t have to spend 3 mil on Samsonov, when Lats and Kosty should of been on the top 3 lines from the start. We have plenty of vets to play these guys with . I don`t see how maybe 25 goals out of Samsonov justifies 3 mil a year .

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 04:06 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Well it is just two games and in there is bound to be some injuries to the Canadiens top 4 wingers when that happens Lats will be given a big chance. If he does well he will force Gainey to make a trade!

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Taupy

Hum... no

Taupy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jakomyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman View Post
If we are going to play him on a 4th line and rot send him back down and bring up Kosty . After the 9th game do him a favour and give him ice time, then hopefully next year we play him with players can work with . Like I said before we are too scared to play a kid, mainly cups of coffee on 4th lines or a kid plays well in a few games and gets demoted later on . We didn`t have to spend 3 mil on Samsonov, when Lats and Kosty should of been on the top 3 lines from the start. We have plenty of vets to play these guys with . I don`t see how maybe 25 goals out of Samsonov justifies 3 mil a year .
Might I remind you that Perezhogin started last year as our 13th forward and finished on the 3rd line. We are only 2 games into the season, so I'm sure Latendresse will be given his opportunity at some point. I also don't believe that 'easing' him in with 8-9 minutes to start is a bad idea... better than giving him 15 minutes (and all the expectations that come along with those minutes) right off the bat. The kid is only 19 years old after all.

Jakomyte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Shabutie

Personally I think even playing on the 4th line on an NHL team is doing him more good than an entire season on the 1st line of a Q team. As Gui said, the nhl is the fastest thing he's seen. This season is basically a learning curve, and it's an investement we're making in Gui, and in the team. I'm happy with the decision Guy took.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 04:07 PM
Live Forever

I wonder if this is going to turn into another, "Perezhogin" or "Ryder On Shootout" thread in which the thread-starter eats his own words and looks like a clown.

Live Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 04:07 PM
Dynasty

Quote:

I think we should send him back. In all seriousness, he's not NHL ready yet. Why, he didn't even get a regular shift on the national junior team last year. What makes you think he deserves a regular shift on an NHL team nine months later?

Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 04:08 PM
Ludo

wow...talk about missing the boat.

This discussion was over two weeks ago and the verdict is in....Lats stays in MTL for better or for worse...

Ludo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 04:08 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

We can't exactly put him on the top 2 lines...There's no space and so far he's looked terrible...He's really quite slow, he would bring down the speed of the scoring lines. Keep him on the energy line until he can match the speed of NHL forwards.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 04:09 PM
Artyukhin*

2 games ? and your ready to send him down ?
did you read what Carbo said ?

if he makes the team he will be here ALL year to LEARN .

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 04:11 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Just let the master do what is better for the team.. Lats' agent stated Guy would re-enter the draft if sent down another time... (I dont know if I should have said that but thats what I read in le Journal de MTL..) Can we agree that we just cant lose a such prospect? Quebecer as well...

Fact is, Kostitsyn didnt show more or much more than Lats last training camp.. Kost would be useless on a fourth line, not Lats... Lats can bring a physical presence up front, Kostitsyn cant... Lats can play in front of the net on PP too while few can..

Let Kostitsyn dominate the AHL first... Second, let evaluate the players we have in place.. After 20-30 games a decision might happen if Kostitsyn burn the league and that a regular doesnt do the job on the first 3 lines...

Be sure, we wont lose Kostitsyn stupidly.. He is a great one and Gainey will eventually make a place for him in the line-up..

On another note, I like Latendresse against Boston, I thought his speed was ok but clearly not looking out of place... It has been a bit more difficult against the Leafs but come on.. He is 19 years old.. Can we give the kid a rest and let him learn in the big league???

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 04:15 PM
Pascal

Gui's agent said that? That's ********. He's threatening the team now?

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 04:15 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
Fact is, Kostitsyn didnt show more or much more than Lats last training camp.. Kost would be useless on a fourth line, not Lats... Lats can bring a physical presence up front, Kostitsyn cant... Lats can play in front of the net on PP too while few can.
Where is Lats' physical presence so far? The guy isn't able to hit anyone because he can't keep up...

Old
10-11-2006, 04:18 PM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynasty View Post
I think we should send him back. In all seriousness, he's not NHL ready yet. Why, he didn't even get a regular shift on the national junior team last year. What makes you think he deserves a regular shift on an NHL team nine months later?
Vlasic did'nt made the WJC and he's playing 20 minutes by game with San Jose. Ditto for Letang.

Anyway, talent or calibeer never been the question for Lats. He was benched at the WJC mostly because he was'nt playing like a power forward.

I think he's a better 4th liner than Kost and I can't see what use being in the Q would be for him. He dominated last year without even using his body.

Beatnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 04:19 PM
Rise from the Ashes
Price defies corsi

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
exactly, Latendresse looks like he has cement in his skates and hes running on ice.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 04:21 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatnik View Post
Vlasic did'nt made the WJC and he's playing 20 minutes by game with San Jose. Ditto for Letang.

Anyway, talent or calibeer never been the question for Lats. He was benched at the WJC mostly because he was'nt playing like a power forward.

I think he's a better 4th liner than Kost and I can't see what use being in the Q would be for him. He dominated last year without even using his body.
Actually that's something I wanted to bring up but I didn't want to start a thread just for that...About Lats, people hail him as a power-forward but that's never been his game...The guy who skates around and hits everything like in training camp is not Latendresse...It could be, with the proper development but that's not his game in juniors. Who's to say he will be a power foward?

Anyways I think he needs to work on his speed. That's his weak point and if he works on that he has great potential.

Old
10-11-2006, 04:23 PM
Aarex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Gui's agent said that? That's ********. He's threatening the team now?
Where'd you see anything that talks about his agent threatening the team?

Aarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 04:28 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Where is Lats' physical presence so far? The guy isn't able to hit anyone because he can't keep up...
It's two games in. Gotta show some patience.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 04:36 PM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Actually that's something I wanted to bring up but I didn't want to start a thread just for that...About Lats, people hail him as a power-forward but that's never been his game...The guy who skates around and hits everything like in training camp is not Latendresse...It could be, with the proper development but that's not his game in juniors. Who's to say he will be a power foward?

Anyways I think he needs to work on his speed. That's his weak point and if he works on that he has great potential.
He's not slow at all, you exagerated grostly on that. He's as fast if not faster than Kost, who's the one who would replace him. Of course he looks slower on the 4th line as he's not "réchauffé" (can't think of the english word). Many players look completely different when they are on the 4th line without PP time (see Perez).

I follow him since Midget AAA and he never liked to play physical. He never needed to do it and it's not very wise anyway in the Q for a talented player. I think he needs to have this side of the game in the NHL specially in his early years (guys like Shannahan and Tkatchuk don't hit much anymore) but it's not in the Q that he'll devellop it.

What he needs is pressure and coaching, the NHL is the best place for that. The more important is that he is a huge talent with a very interresting potential. Most people here don't realize how skilled this guy is.

Beatnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 04:46 PM
Drive425

I swear to God some people over react soooo bad!!! I'm glad you guys aren't ship captains. As soon as you see a cloud on the horizon you'd abandon ship cause the ship is going to sink! Give Lats a break, he's playing minimal minutes on the 4th line and coming in with zero NHL experience. He will rise to the occasion Have some faith in Carbo and Gainey, they know what it takes.

Drive425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 04:50 PM
C-Saku Koivu MTL

Joe Thornton, Vincent Lecavalier and many more went trough the same thing. He has to get used to the speed and get into a confidence on the ice. The Habs are doing the exact thing they should do. Trust the management and enjoy the ride.

C-Saku Koivu MTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 04:54 PM
Evil Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive425 View Post
I swear to God some people over react soooo bad!!! I'm glad you guys aren't ship captains. As soon as you see a cloud on the horizon you'd abandon ship cause the ship is going to sink! Give Lats a break, he's playing minimal minutes on the 4th line and coming in with zero NHL experience. He will rise to the occasion Have some faith in Carbo and Gainey, they know what it takes.
Well I think that for Lats developements sake hes going to need more then 10 min of icetime a game, and he is not getting that in Montreal, and I cant see him getting promoted anytime either, our lineup is set pretty much minus injuries, it would be a good idea to send him back where he can get some quality icetime.

All you guys who dont think he wont get sent down could be in for a surprise.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 04:58 PM
oli500

A player like latendresse can learn alot playing on the fourth line. Frankly hes better off here than in drumon. He can learn to become a complete player by playing on the 4th line. Learn how to do the litle things well so when he does become that impact player hes the complete package. Theres no point of putting all this presure on his shoulder by given him top lines minuts. If he cant handle it he can loose total confidence in himself. By having him play 4th line minuts hes slowly gaining confidence instead of loosing it. It dident hurt higgins last year. If he were going back to a coach like patrick roy I wouldent have a problem siding him back but hes not going to have success and learn more were hes going if he were to be sent down. Hes better off here with coaches like carbo,muller,jarvis,ganey. people who can teach young kids how to win at a young age. In the long run thats very important.

oli500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 04:59 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ted View Post
Well I think that for Lats developements sake hes going to need more then 10 min of icetime a game, and he is not getting that in Montreal, and I cant see him getting promoted anytime either, our lineup is set pretty much minus injuries, it would be a good idea to send him back where he can get some quality icetime.

Some points to consider:

1. What you and others in this thread see of Latendresse now is not what Latendresse is actually capable of playing like right now. He's unaccustomed to the pace of the game. It will take several games for him to adapt to the pace of the game.

2. While Latendresse's skating is not a strength of his, the issue Latendresse is having right now is anticipation--not speed. He's not anticipating the play well, and his reaction-time is poor. That's why he looks slow; not because of his skating speed.

3. Latendresse's learning curve from NHL practices alone will be far, far greater than anything he would learn in juniors.

4. The QMJHL is an awful place for a big-bodied skill player to develop. He will not need to use his physicality at all to score, and he'll develop bad, lazy habits, taking short-cuts offensively.

5. It's very likely that Latendresse will progress at a very rapid rate once he's become accustomed to the NHL pace. At that time, it's also very likely that Montreal will run into injury problems. Latendresse will see better quality ice time as the season progresses.

For these five reasons, Latendresse is better suited in the NHL, and will progress better at the NHL level.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2006, 04:59 PM
Drive425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ted View Post

I'm not sure another season in the Q will benefit Lats much. I agree limited ice time is not helping his case, however there will undoubtedly be injuries on the top 2 lines during the season. Which will give opportunity to whoever is deserving of the ice time. I'm not saying he won't be sent down...I'm just saying that a decision shouldn't be made after only 2 road games.

Drive425 is offline   Reply With Quote