HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pierre Groulx's contract will not be renewed

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-09-2013, 06:59 PM
  #251
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,543
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I liked Groulx but I was not a fan of Price's adjustments at all this year.

And before I get a response no, I'm not saying Price himself doesn't deserve crticism for a mediocre season, but I feel like Price was trying to imitate Quick at times this year and I wonder where that came from.
If anything... he didn't imitate Quick and it cost him. Quick's style of goaltending is unique to him but the principles he employs will be the way that future goalies are trained.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 07:20 PM
  #252
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,116
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Breadman View Post
A goalie coach is like a pitching coach if the guy is an already established player he is pretty much useless, only time he would be useful is if he is off his game mechanically speaking, and even then he would just say well your a little off your angle here or you are lowering your hand here it's still up to the player to actually make the changes
Yes, the assumption on this board is that the previous coaches have been coaching him to do something incompatible with his strengths and in so doing messing him up. That conversation is a non starter for me, and wishful thinking for fans who want to put the spotlight on someone other than the athlete.

Price's performance is on a oscillating curve of peaks and valleys, the coaches job is to shorten the valleys and smooth the line out not re-engineer the athlete. There will be reinforcement of certain ideas and apportioning of practice time accordingly but rarely does a goalie get told to do something they have difficulty doing.

Other players have had success while working with Groulx and Melanson, they aren't the problem.

Having said that bringing in someone that is trusted by Bergevin is a great idea. He'll have carte blanche to take Price to new levels and in the event it doesn't happen he will help set the timeline for moving on to another option.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 08:09 PM
  #253
habsfanatics
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,722
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
If anything... he didn't imitate Quick and it cost him. Quick's style of goaltending is unique to him but the principles he employs will be the way that future goalies are trained.
Disagree, Price's technique is fine, Quick is just the flavour of the month. You don't imitate other goalies technique, you identify your own strengths and play to them.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 09:34 PM
  #254
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,543
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Disagree, Price's technique is fine, Quick is just the flavour of the month. You don't imitate other goalies technique, you identify your own strengths and play to them.
You are completely misunderstanding.
I'm not advocating that Price go out there and start relying on doing the splits. However, Price is going to have to learn (as will most goalies in the league, in juniors and levels below) that you have to come toward the puck rather than recoil, you have to elevate and lean your body forward + over the puck to eliminate the elevation of the puck into the upper portions of the net.

Price has the advantage of a very tall frame, if he gets out and takes the appropriate leaning angles against shots, literally very few shots will be able to beat him up high.

Quick's philosophy is the appropriate one. Price doesn't have to play LIKE Quick but he certainly has to employ the same philosophies because they are the correct ones. Price's style right now involves a lot of play from his knees, not just being low to the ice like Quick, but on his knees, he completely neuters the strength of his legs and as a result is dead in the water against quick pass plays, pass-outs, board bank shots, blocked shot rebounds and one-timers.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 10:17 PM
  #255
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 21,790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Disagree, Price's technique is fine, Quick is just the flavour of the month. You don't imitate other goalies technique, you identify your own strengths and play to them.
Yea I don't believe every goalie needs to be the same. Price should be more a standing goalie. If anything he needs to do more of what he was doing 5 years ago in certain aspects. He used the be a monster on the shootouts for example cause he was covering a lot of the net. Now he gets on the knees too quickly during the shootouts and he's easy to beat.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 10:37 AM
  #256
danyhabsfan
Registered User
 
danyhabsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,562
vCash: 500
http://www.rds.ca/hockey/lnh/nouvel-...burgh-1.630495

Meloche leaving Pittsburgh. (wants to spent more time in Mtl)


Any interest?

Is he a good candidate?

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 10:43 AM
  #257
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,543
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by danyhabsfan View Post
http://www.rds.ca/hockey/lnh/nouvel-...burgh-1.630495

Meloche leaving Pittsburgh. (wants to spent more time in Mtl)


Any interest?

Is he a good candidate?
He coached Fleury... so no.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 11:09 AM
  #258
danyhabsfan
Registered User
 
danyhabsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,562
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
He coached Fleury... so no.
exactly my thoughts.

He did this with a 1st overall pick..Imagine what he would do with a 5th overall pick

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 11:23 AM
  #259
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating
 
HiggsBozon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I thought his greatest ability was pissing of Earl the Habs Fan/JimCareyPrice/Agnostic who's been waiting 3 years for a bad streak in order to express his hate for Carey Price
Yeah, kind of like you waited for 2 games without Prust to laugh at those who said he was an important element of our bottom-6/team.

HiggsBozon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 11:27 AM
  #260
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,141
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
Yeah, kind of like you waited for 2 games without Prust to laugh at those who said he was an important element of our bottom-6/team.
It was more mocking those who thought it was the end of the world when Prust when down more than a "proof" that we didn't need him. Glad to see you took it so seriously though, that's what makes the mocking fun.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 11:49 AM
  #261
PyrettaBlaze*
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,264
vCash: 500
@MAGodin:
Stephane Waite expected to stay with #Blackhawks, says Stan Bowman

https://twitter.com/magodin/status/351019178330832898

PyrettaBlaze* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 12:35 PM
  #262
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 41,192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
@MAGodin:
Stephane Waite expected to stay with #Blackhawks, says Stan Bowman

https://twitter.com/magodin/status/351019178330832898
Later tweeted that he wants to explore his options, too.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 03:30 PM
  #263
Estimated_Prophet
Registered User
 
Estimated_Prophet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,168
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
You are completely misunderstanding.
I'm not advocating that Price go out there and start relying on doing the splits. However, Price is going to have to learn (as will most goalies in the league, in juniors and levels below) that you have to come toward the puck rather than recoil, you have to elevate and lean your body forward + over the puck to eliminate the elevation of the puck into the upper portions of the net.

Price has the advantage of a very tall frame, if he gets out and takes the appropriate leaning angles against shots, literally very few shots will be able to beat him up high.

Quick's philosophy is the appropriate one. Price doesn't have to play LIKE Quick but he certainly has to employ the same philosophies because they are the correct ones. Price's style right now involves a lot of play from his knees, not just being low to the ice like Quick, but on his knees, he completely neuters the strength of his legs and as a result is dead in the water against quick pass plays, pass-outs, board bank shots, blocked shot rebounds and one-timers.
Very good post!

I feel exactly the same way about Price's technique.....he is far too passive and needs to challenge shooters and stay on his skates a little longer to allow his legs to drive him laterally.

On an interesting note, I find Luongo has almost the opposite flaw of Price in that he leans forward too far and relies on this ridiculous belly flop save that hurts him far more than it saves him as he is a beached whale on the ensuing rebound.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 04:06 PM
  #264
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,543
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Very good post!

I feel exactly the same way about Price's technique.....he is far too passive and needs to challenge shooters and stay on his skates a little longer to allow his legs to drive him laterally.

On an interesting note, I find Luongo has almost the opposite flaw of Price in that he leans forward too far and relies on this ridiculous belly flop save that hurts him far more than it saves him as he is a beached whale on the ensuing rebound.
Like Aebischer

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:37 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.