HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Teams Inquiring about Mark Streit's UFA rights

Closed Thread

Old
06-09-2013, 04:45 PM
StrongIslanders90

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jray42 View Post
Well have fun in Europe, Mark!
A team trading for hi right would most certainly already be aware of his demands...

39 year old Gonchar just got 10 mil for 2 years...

Considering the market I think its safe to assume Streit will be getting paid...

Old
06-09-2013, 06:45 PM
LotteryForLife*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jray42 View Post
Well have fun in Europe, Mark!
That makes no sense. Awful post

Old
06-09-2013, 07:38 PM
CodeE

Bidding starts at a 4th (an outright 4th, not a conditional one), and now that Streit is the best PMD on the market, a 3rd wouldn't be out of the question if Streit agrees to sign with the new team.

Old
06-09-2013, 07:41 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

i dont think his trade rights are going to be worth much more than gonchar's. Contract-wise, he'll get his 4yr x 5M-6M.

conditional 5th/6th most likely if someone wants to jump the gun on him. Keep in mind that we now have the negotiation period from the draft to the start of free agency, which might damper demand on UFA rights. Gonchar was 'threatening' to sign in the KHL before it even got to that, and Murray gave JP Barry (gonchar's agent) permission to shop Gonchar to whoever in the NHL had interest. Not sure if Snow, who seemed pretty pissed off streit didnt sign, will do the same.

Old
06-09-2013, 08:07 PM
seafoam

vCash: 50
I would be shocked if it wasn't a 4th.

Old
06-09-2013, 08:11 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
i dont think his trade rights are going to be worth much more than gonchar's. Contract-wise, he'll get his 4yr x 5M-6M.

conditional 5th/6th most likely if someone wants to jump the gun on him. Keep in mind that we now have the negotiation period from the draft to the start of free agency, which might damper demand on UFA rights. Gonchar was 'threatening' to sign in the KHL before it even got to that, and Murray gave JP Barry (gonchar's agent) permission to shop Gonchar to whoever in the NHL had interest. Not sure if Snow, who seemed pretty pissed off streit didnt sign, will do the same.
Which of Snow's comments or interviews, indicate he's pretty pissed off Streit didnt sign? I've read both their comments and am wondering which article that info was in.

The press says teams have started calling Snow,since the Gonchar trade and extension. I would guess because the market is so weak. Teams that are interested in Streit, don't want him to do what Gonchar's done: get traded elsewhere and sign an extension before July 5.

Old
06-09-2013, 08:20 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Which of Snow's comments or interviews, indicate he's pretty pissed off Streit didnt sign? I've read both their comments and am wondering which article that info was in.

The press says teams have started calling Snow,since the Gonchar trade and extension. I would guess because the market is so weak. Teams that are interested in Streit, don't want him to do what Gonchar's done: get traded elsewhere and sign an extension before July 5.
there was that swiss article that seemed to indicate that snow was
a) the one spreading rumours that streit turned down the isles over money (which, iirc, snow/wang/isles have been accused of doing before)
and
b) snow was disappointed that streit didnt re-sign.

Old
06-09-2013, 08:28 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:
a) the one spreading rumours that streit turned down the isles over money (which, iirc, snow/wang/isles have been accused of doing before)
and
Can you clarify this? I don't know exactly what you mean. Streit DID turn down the Isles for what will be more money.

Old
06-09-2013, 08:31 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
and
In early March Newsday had quotes from Streit saying he wanted to stay, really liked the locker room. Snow announced they were starting extension talks. Newsday said the numbers they were discussing were 3 yrs/$10m.

A month later Snow announced he was starting extension talks with Vis/Boyes/Nabby. A week after starting extension talks with Vis, Snow signed him to a 2 yr /$4.75m per deal, with a partial NMC. Right after Vis deal was announced, Strang tweeted that Streit now wanted north of Vis money.

The last reports came out just a few days ago. Newsday said Snow offered Streit the same amount per season that Vis will make. He did offer Streit a 3rd yr. Newsday says Streit wants $5.5m per instead, but that Snow has a salary structure and refused to bust it for Streit.

Streit has played on a bunch of crappy NYI teams, been a good captain. He even played this yr on a bad leg, that reportedly needed rest to heal. Vis had to be dragged to LI and in a week of negotiating, got the deal he wanted. I don't think Snow is the one pissed.

Old
06-09-2013, 08:34 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
Can you clarify this? I don't know exactly what you mean. Streit DID turn down the Isles for what will be more money.
I think he's talking about Streit's " it's not the money. I want a new challenge" comment.

Snow knows it is the $.

Old
06-10-2013, 10:58 AM
REM17

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
The deal he rejected from the Isles suggests he's looking for the biggest payday and nothing more. I don't think the team trading for his rights will get him under contract before UFA begins. But if a team wants to give away a 4th-6th rder then fine by me, just please don't be the Oilers.
Streit mentionned he did not reject the offer because of money or term - looks like he wants a chance to go for the cup. I think Boston was interested at the deadline....

Old
06-10-2013, 11:12 AM
archangel archangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeE View Post
Bidding starts at a 4th (an outright 4th, not a conditional one), and now that Streit is the best PMD on the market, a 3rd wouldn't be out of the question if Streit agrees to sign with the new team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
I would be shocked if it wasn't a 4th.

Gonchar went for a 6th this year and previously it was a 5th or 6th. That would be my guess. 4th is hoping for too much in a deep draft

Old
06-10-2013, 11:13 AM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:
Originally Posted by REM17 View Post
Streit mentionned he did not reject the offer because of money or term - looks like he wants a chance to go for the cup. I think Boston was interested at the deadline....
But he's also not going to sign for cheap. He will sign for more money than what the Isles offered (even if its stretched out over more years). Book it.

Old
06-10-2013, 11:22 AM
CodeE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcrazycanuck View Post
Gonchar went for a 6th this year and previously it was a 5th or 6th. That would be my guess. 4th is hoping for too much in a deep draft
1. Streit has statistically been a better player over the past couple of years, on (lets face it) a much worse team.

2. Streit is four years younger.

3. With Gonchar officially off the market, Streit's value increases because there are less options.

Old
06-10-2013, 11:31 AM
seafoam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcrazycanuck View Post
The Isles paid a 4th for Ehrhoff's rights two years ago. I agree with you that it should be a 5th or 6th because of the deep draft and market, but knowing how Garth does negotiating, he will use his Ehrhoff deal to justify his asking price.

Old
06-10-2013, 11:32 AM
koh19

I'd like to mention that Streit missed the entire NHL season 2 years ago because of a serious injury. His next season was ok, nothing amazing but decent. This year, with the lockout, he's played way more games than others.

Also, people are acting like a 35 yo hockey player is basically "done". That might have been true 10-15 years ago, but the more we advance in time, the more technology, conditioning routines, recuperation methods, nutrition, etc... will get better I wouldn't be surprised to see many more guys playing in their 40s.

I'm convinced Streit has 4-5 more years where he can play at a top level, even improve over his last two seasons.

But I'd agree that 5-6 million is a bit much. But heck, way "worse" players have managed to get much more.

Old
06-10-2013, 11:35 AM
IslesNorway

It'll be a 5th or similar, MAYBE a 4th if there are several teams interested and there's a bidding war. Teams won't part with more for rights alone.

Old
06-10-2013, 11:53 AM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
The Isles paid a 4th for Ehrhoff's rights two years ago. I agree with you that it should be a 5th or 6th because of the deep draft and market, but knowing how Garth does negotiating, he will use his Ehrhoff deal to justify his asking price.
The Isles gave up a 4th, but also got back a 4th from Buffalo when Ehrhoff and the Isles couldn't get a deal done.

I'm expecting a 4th, but anything at all is really a win.

Old
06-10-2013, 12:20 PM
Chardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by koh19 View Post
I'd like to mention that Streit missed the entire NHL season 2 years ago because of a serious injury. His next season was ok, nothing amazing but decent. This year, with the lockout, he's played way more games than others.

Also, people are acting like a 35 yo hockey player is basically "done". That might have been true 10-15 years ago, but the more we advance in time, the more technology, conditioning routines, recuperation methods, nutrition, etc... will get better I wouldn't be surprised to see many more guys playing in their 40s.

I'm convinced Streit has 4-5 more years where he can play at a top level, even improve over his last two seasons.

But I'd agree that 5-6 million is a bit much. But heck, way "worse" players have managed to get much more.

When did he ever play at a top level?

Old
06-10-2013, 12:23 PM
Chardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by REM17 View Post

Streit suffered through the worst of a complete rebuild. Now he wants to leave that team (for which he happens to be captain) just as they are getting good?

It's all about the money.

Old
06-10-2013, 12:31 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardo View Post
A 50 pt. D man isn't considered top-level where you're from?

Old
06-10-2013, 12:48 PM
koh19

Quote:
50-60 point defenseman in the best league in the world. Captain of an NHL franchise. All-Star selection. Need I say more...

Some guys on here are acting like Streit has become this useless 3rd pairing d-man that basically only has some PP abilities left and a good slapper.

If he picks the right team and has a great offseason preparation, I'm sure he'll thrive and not, like some of you think, play 7th d-man minutes and play at the PP point.

Old
06-10-2013, 12:52 PM
blinkman360
Vasilevskiy v2.0

I expect a 5th or 6th. A 4th will be great, but the only way I see that happening is if it's conditional.

Old
06-10-2013, 01:18 PM
Chardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
A 50 pt. D man isn't considered top-level where you're from?

Aren't defensemen supposed to, you know, defend?

Points get noticed. That's why Streit appears to be very good. Unless you're a goalie, points against don't get noticed as much. Yet preventing goals is the primary job of a defenseman. For the past two years, Streit has been among the very worst in the league in +/- rating. I know +/- isn't a perfect stat, but when 965 players rank higher than you, it says something. This is not some young kid learning the game who will clean up the mistakes and get better.

Old
06-10-2013, 02:12 PM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
Aren't defensemen supposed to, you know, defend?

Points get noticed. That's why Streit appears to be very good. Unless you're a goalie, points against don't get noticed as much. Yet preventing goals is the primary job of a defenseman. For the past two years, Streit has been among the very worst in the league in +/- rating. I know +/- isn't a perfect stat, but when 965 players rank higher than you, it says something. This is not some young kid learning the game who will clean up the mistakes and get better.
Hey points won Karlsson a Norris last season. Don't knock the points.

Closed Thread