HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Oilers "keenly interested" in defenceman Paul Ranger

Closed Thread

Old
06-10-2013, 11:31 AM
caley

vCash: 500
Oilers "keenly interested" in defenceman Paul Ranger

per Dreger
Quote:
Oilers remain keenly interested in D-man Paul Ranger. Ranger loved playing for Dallas Eakins and Eakins is a huge fan of Ranger....
Quote:
If Ranger decides to return to the NHL and thats a big IF, Edmonton will be high among the 20+ teams interested because of the Eakins hire.
I was surprised the Leafs didn't sign him last year.

06-10-2013, 11:33 AM
HarrisonFord
LA Kings Bandwagon

He's not in the NHL because he doesnt want to be in the NHL.

I'd bet many, many dollars that Ranger is a Leaf next year.

Old
06-10-2013, 11:34 AM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 50
I have to wonder how he'd handle going from being completely hidden, to being thrust into the massive media spotlight that is the Edmonton Oilers. It was clear that he had some personal issues of an unknown variety that were taken to extreme lengths to keep hidden.

edit - obviously that would go for the Leafs as well.

Old
archangel archangel

The day he comes back to the NHL, the first question will be "Why did you walk away from the game three years ago?" that has not been answered to most peoples liking

Old
VoicexOfxReason
you cant do that

Mmm if Ranger plays in the nhl again, which is doubtful, itll likely only be with the Leafs. Had Eakins stayed with the Marlies, Ranger wouldve had to leave his tutelage anyways so this is really a non-story.

Old
06-10-2013, 11:35 AM
MrFunnyWobbl
So Aaron Baddeley

Send a message via AIM to MrFunnyWobbl
Why did he quit ?

Old
06-10-2013, 11:36 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

Stealing our coach and our free wallets!! How dare you MacT. Lol

Old
06-10-2013, 11:36 AM
zeus3007*

Randger was certainly a good d-man, but I question whether or not having someone who may not really want to be here is good for the locker room. In terms of on ice ability, its a no-brainer though.

Old
06-10-2013, 11:38 AM
Diatomic
#FireCarlyle

WTF NO!!!

We want Rangers on the leafs next year!!! First you take our coach, , then our players, soon our prospects?

Old
06-10-2013, 11:41 AM
HarrisonFord
LA Kings Bandwagon

They can be interested in him all they want. They honestly aren't going to get him. He's going to, and really should, stay with the organization who gave him a chance in the AHL this year and didn't pressure him into signing an NHL contract until he was comfortable

Old
06-10-2013, 11:42 AM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Randger was certainly a good d-man, but I question whether or not having someone who may not really want to be here is good for the locker room. In terms of on ice ability, its a no-brainer though.
Why would he sign 'here' if he really doesnt want to come 'here'?

Old
06-10-2013, 11:43 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Is this just Dreger speculating away because as far as Toronto fans are concerned, Ranger is playing with the Marlies because they're in Toronto, not because he was playing for Eakins, and the Marlies allow him to fly under the radar a little bit. If hes playing in the NHL it will be for the Maple Leafs, not for Eakins.

Old
06-10-2013, 11:46 AM
Izzy
#SloveniaForGold2018

vCash: 270
Would be a good pickup, but I doubt they'll bring him in.

Old
06-10-2013, 11:47 AM
Oilception

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonFord View Post
They can be interested in him all they want. They honestly aren't going to get him. He's going to, and really should, stay with the organization who gave him a chance in the AHL this year and didn't pressure him into signing an NHL contract until he was comfortable
Players leave organizations that give them a chance all the time?
If he decided he wants to play pro and Liked Eakins alot and sees the opportunity i dont think its far fetched to beleive he might go to Edmonton? Just cause he played for the Marlies doesnt mean he is guaranteed to play for the Leafs if he decides to go pro.

Not saying he will for sure sign with the Oil either. but dont act like he has to stay in TO

Old
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Why would he sign 'here' if he really doesnt want to come 'here'?
He has left in the middle of seasons before. I don't think its wrong to wonder about where his head will be after 20 games, or 40 games, or 70 games if we are in a position near the playoffs.

Old
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

Dreger being Mr. Obvious.

Old
06-10-2013, 11:49 AM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
He has left in the middle of seasons before. I don't think its wrong to wonder about where his head will be after 20 games, or 40 games, or 70 games if we are in a position near the playoffs.
meh.. not like EDM will be giving up a 1st for him. If the guy is NHL ready he'll weigh his options .. If he leaves 40 games in... o well.. We will call up Klefbom.

Old
06-10-2013, 11:49 AM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Would be happy to have a veteran defender at a pretty cheap price

don't care about his reasons for leaving the NHL for a while; that's his personal business

Old
06-10-2013, 11:50 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
meh.. not like EDM will be giving up a 1st for him. If the guy is NHL ready he'll weigh his options .. If he leaves 40 games in... o well.. We will call up Klefbom.
I have zero interest in a scenario where a guy goes home halfway through the year. Think of how that would affect the locker room. Not positive.

Old
06-10-2013, 11:53 AM
Woll Smoth

vCash: 1205
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
Is this just Dreger speculating away because as far as Toronto fans are concerned, Ranger is playing with the Marlies because they're in Toronto, not because he was playing for Eakins, and the Marlies allow him to fly under the radar a little bit. If hes playing in the NHL it will be for the Maple Leafs, not for Eakins.
The bolded part seems a bit funny to me.

Anyone else find it strange that Burke said that he approached Ranger, not the other way around, for a spot on the Marlies?

For some reason that seems really "off" to me.

Old
06-10-2013, 11:53 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilception View Post
If he decided he wants to play pro and Liked Eakins alot and sees the opportunity i dont think its far fetched to beleive he might go to Edmonton? Just cause he played for the Marlies doesnt mean he is guaranteed to play for the Leafs if he decides to go pro.

Not saying he will for sure sign with the Oil either. but dont act like he has to stay in TO
He came to the Marlies because he didn't want to be in the spotlight in the NHL and because the Marlies still play in the big city, where his family lives, instead of the middle of nowhere. If he winds up playing in the NHL it'll likely be in Toronto, where he can be close to his family, not wherever Eakins is coaching. Thats why I'm so surprised Dreger is speculating away at the Eakins connection when Toronto fans know the City of Toronto connection is stronger. Oh well, its good for hits, I suppose.

Old
06-10-2013, 11:55 AM
HarrisonFord
LA Kings Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilception View Post

Why would he leave Toronto to go to Edmonton? The only drawing factor is Dallas Eakins.

The Leafs have a good, young team just like the Oilers. He'd be offered top 4 minutes on both teams, including PP time. He'll be given just as good of a salary offer in Toronto as he would in Edmonton.

Edmonton has Eakins, but the Leafs organization has basically been incredible in how well they've accomidated Ranger. Ranger wanted a one-year AHL deal, after coming out of hiatus; the Leafs gave it to him. Ranger didn't want to play in the NHL this year; despite being an upgrade on the Leafs blueline, the Leafs didn't push him.

One of the theories about why Ranger left in the first place has to do with him wanting to be close to both home and his significant other (GTA resident). I think this was part of why he originally signed with the Leafs in the first place. Edmonton is pretty far away, and is not even in the same conference as the Leafs.

When it comes down to it, it really makes sense for Ranger to sign with the Leafs if he wants to make the jump to the NHL. It makes almost zero sense for him to join Edmonton. Sorry Oilers fans.

Old
06-10-2013, 11:57 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woll Smoth View Post
The bolded part seems a bit funny to me.

Anyone else find it strange that Burke said that he approached Ranger, not the other way around, for a spot on the Marlies?

For some reason that seems really "off" to me.
Don't believe for a moment that what Burke said is true. Technically, had Tampa Bay wanted to toll his contract he couldn't have come played for the Marlies until his contract, which he walked away from, expired. For that reason alone I could see the optics of Ranger ditching the Lightning to come play for the Marlies looking pretty bad so Burke said what he did so that way it didn't look like Ranger ditching the Lighting was premeditated, which the Lightning could have argued.

Old
06-10-2013, 12:03 PM
Woll Smoth

vCash: 1205
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
Don't believe for a moment that what Burke said is true. Technically, had Tampa Bay wanted to toll his contract he couldn't have come played for the Marlies until his contract, which he walked away from, expired. For that reason alone I could see the optics of Ranger ditching the Lightning to come play for the Marlies looking pretty bad so Burke said what he did so that way it didn't look like Ranger ditching the Lighting was premeditated, which the Lightning could have argued.
I can't see a player ditching an NHL team for 3 years just to play for the Marlies (on purpose)

But you could be right about Burke saying that to take some heat off Ranger. He did always try to deflect attention away from his players by publicly taking responsibility for a lot of different things.

Just an overall strange situation from an outsider's POV. No idea what his plans are for the future, but if he went to Edmonton I wouldn't feel like we lost anything to be honest.

Old
06-10-2013, 12:05 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Stop trying to steal from us

Closed Thread