HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Videogame Thread #3 (PSN/Gamertags/Steam): NHL 14 Trailer Released Today

Old
06-09-2013, 02:37 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Some encouraging news about the PS4 price for those of us excited for it...

Quote:
While neither Sony nor Microsoft have gone on record as to the costs and SKUs of the consoles they plan to release, analyst Michael Pachter of Wedbush Securities has already thrown out his predictions based on the devices' materials costs: $399 for the Xbox One and $349 for the PlayStation 4.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2420153,00.asp

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 03:41 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Some encouraging news about the PS4 price for those of us excited for it...

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2420153,00.asp
Not a surprise. Microsoft is going to force you to get/use the Kinect, and their system is a media hub, so they'll need more bells and whistles. Sony is making a gaming system.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 07:36 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

vCash: 500
As it stands now I'm going with PS4. I was expecting to switch to MS this generation, too.

06-09-2013, 08:00 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
As it stands now I'm going with PS4. I was expecting to switch to MS this generation, too.
From all I can tell, PS4 is going to blow XBox One out of the water. Guess we'll find out this week at E3.

Old
06-09-2013, 08:32 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
From all I can tell, PS4 is going to blow XBox One out of the water. Guess we'll find out this week at E3.
Going to be game dependent for me atm. Both have flaws and positives.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 08:39 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

If I want an 'entertainment hub' Id go xbox.... but then I look at my computer and think, covered.

If (and I do) want a gaming system, PS4 all the way. I'm not too worried about what games come on what system. If a game comes to Xbox, I'll borrow one from a buddy... haha. Or go there and play it.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 09:14 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Going to be game dependent for me atm. Both have flaws and positives.
What are the flaws of PS4? Not being a dick or anything, I just haven't read anything negative about the PS4 to this point other than the potential high price to start. Haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
If I want an 'entertainment hub' Id go xbox.... but then I look at my computer and think, covered.

If (and I do) want a gaming system, PS4 all the way. I'm not too worried about what games come on what system. If a game comes to Xbox, I'll borrow one from a buddy... haha. Or go there and play it.
Games don't really make a difference for me either. For the most part, the best games are on both consoles. There are a couple here and there that have come out on one and not the other, but I feel like for the most part it really isn't a big deal. For every Xbox exclusive that I wished was on PS3, there was a PS3 exclusive I am sure I would have wished was on Xbox.

Old
06-10-2013, 07:50 AM
ihatebraydenschenn

Quote:
Just like the PS3, right?

I'll own both consoles. I've always been a gamer who tries to own every platform. If the next generation is anything like the last, my new Playstation 4 will turn into a dust collector.

ihatebraydenschenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 01:36 PM
leclair1088

So has there been any confirmation about the PS4 and backwards capability?

NHL 14 will be out before the PS4 and I thought I heard that 14 will not be released for the PS4 so will I just have to keep my PS3 around just to play that game?

leclair1088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 02:27 PM
ihatebraydenschenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by leclair1088 View Post
So has there been any confirmation about the PS4 and backwards capability?

NHL 14 will be out before the PS4 and I thought I heard that 14 will not be released for the PS4 so will I just have to keep my PS3 around just to play that game?
I believe backwards compatibility still remains unclear at this point for either console.

As far as pricing for the Xbox One goes... $500. Looks like I'll be waiting to pick that one up. Here's a link.

Old
06-10-2013, 02:34 PM
SolidSnakeUS

PS4 BC is in the form of Gaikai, which will play PS1 through 3 games. Something even the One doesn't provide.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 03:11 PM
ihatebraydenschenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
PS4 BC is in the form of Gaikai, which will play PS1 through 3 games. Something even the One doesn't provide.
So I can stick my PS1, PS2 and PS3 discs in the PS4 and they'll all run? Oh waii..

I'm pretty sure big ol' Microsoft snagged a bunch of the OnLive developers once that company went under. Wouldn't be surprised to see something similar to Gaikai in the Xbox One.

Honestly, both systems annoy me in terms of backwards compatibility. I just knock on Sony more since it completely butchered backwards compatibility in the PS3 - a video game system that was supposed to be the next big thing since sliced bread.

I also feel a little duped by Sony and the PS3:

- It cost $600 up front, which I couldn't afford, but the original SKU did play PS2 games.

- I was a HUGE Gran Turismo fan until GT4.. I couldn't wait for GT5 to see if they could save the franchise.. I waited.. and waited... and waited.. and waited.. Prologue? LOLogue. GT5 is here...! And I don't care, because I'm already balls deep in the better racing simulator: Forza

- Couldn't wait for Metal Gear Solid 4 - What a pile of ****. Solidsnake, you can't even disagree with me there, unless you have hardcore MGS fanboy blinders on. PS3 was supposed to be this graphics monster and yet MGS4 displayed at some low, abnormal resolution and looked like poo.

- New controller? Yeah! Sony took features out!

- The thing was as big as a dog house. It's impossible to sit another console or unit on top of the PS3.

- By the time I could afford a PS3 ($400 for the 80GB), Sony removed the PS2 emulator. My big, bad PS3 couldn't play PS2 games, but it could play freaking PS1 games. Go figure.

- I was also a huge God of War fan.. I lost interest by the time God of War 3 was finally released. It's hard to blame Sony or anyone on that, but it's just another gripe of mine.

- It took six friggin years for a new Twisted Metal game.

For what it's worth, I was a huge Sony Playstation fanboy when the original Xbox came out. I also discounted the original Halo, and couldn't believe that a game rated M could get Game of the Year. How could a game that is only available to a certain age group win GOTY?

It wasn't until I actually played Halo that I learned how awesome it was. It was a summer afternoon at a friend's house. Two TVs and two Xbox's were linked for some 8-player Halo action. Mind = blown. I ended up buying an Xbox that summer.

The hard drive in the OG Xbox had some nice features other than the ability to burn CDs to it. You could then play the burned music in-game, like with GTA: San Andreas that had a custom radio channel specifically for your burned music. The game even had commercials play in between your songs. Awesome stuff.

Also, the Xbox was simply a beast compared to the PS2. Games like San Andreas showed why.. Look at the graphical details like draw distance and jaggies and you'll notice how much better the Xbox version was. Of course, PC > *

Xbox to Xbox 360 saw noticeable improvements and also won the hearts of 3rd party devs. I bet there are millions of people who would prefer their PS2 to their PS3.

Old
06-10-2013, 03:17 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by galvo View Post
So I can stick my PS1, PS2 and PS3 discs in the PS4 and they'll all run? Oh waii..

I'm pretty sure big ol' Microsoft snagged a bunch of the OnLive developers once that company went under. Wouldn't be surprised to see something similar to Gaikai in the Xbox One.

Honestly, both systems annoy me in terms of backwards compatibility. I just knock on Sony more since it completely butchered backwards compatibility in the PS3 - a video game system that was supposed to be the next big thing since sliced bread.

I also feel a little duped by Sony and the PS3:

- It cost $600 up front, which I couldn't afford, but the original SKU did play PS2 games.

- I was a HUGE Gran Turismo fan until GT4.. I couldn't wait for GT5 to see if they could save the franchise.. I waited.. and waited... and waited.. and waited.. Prologue? LOLogue. GT5 is here...! And I don't care, because I'm already balls deep in the better racing simulator: Forza

- Couldn't wait for Metal Gear Solid 4 - What a pile of ****. Solidsnake, you can't even disagree with me there, unless you have hardcore MGS fanboy blinders on. PS3 was supposed to be this graphics monster and yet MGS4 displayed at some low, abnormal resolution and looked like poo.

- New controller? Yeah! Sony took features out!

- The thing was as big as a dog house. It's impossible to sit another console or unit on top of the PS3.

- By the time I could afford a PS3 ($400 for the 80GB), Sony removed the PS2 emulator. My big, bad PS3 couldn't play PS2 games, but it could play freaking PS1 games. Go figure.

- I was also a huge God of War fan.. I lost interest by the time God of War 3 was finally released. It's hard to blame Sony or anyone on that, but it's just another gripe of mine.

- It took six friggin years for a new Twisted Metal game.

For what it's worth, I was a huge Sony Playstation fanboy when the original Xbox came out. I also discounted the original Halo, and couldn't believe that a game rated M could get Game of the Year. How could a game that is only available to a certain age group win GOTY?

It wasn't until I actually played Halo that I learned how awesome it was. It was a summer afternoon at a friend's house. Two TVs and two Xbox's were linked for some 8-player Halo action. Mind = blown. I ended up buying an Xbox that summer.

The hard drive in the OG Xbox had some nice features other than the ability to burn CDs to it. You could then play the burned music in-game, like with GTA: San Andreas that had a custom radio channel specifically for your burned music. The game even had commercials play in between your songs. Awesome stuff.

Also, the Xbox was simply a beast compared to the PS2. Games like San Andreas showed why.. Look at the graphical details like draw distance and jaggies and you'll notice how much better the Xbox version was. Of course, PC > *

Xbox to Xbox 360 saw noticeable improvements and also won the hearts of 3rd party devs. I bet there are millions of people who would prefer their PS2 to their PS3.
You do realize you can't stick in your 360 or Xbox game in the One and expect it to work right?

Old
06-10-2013, 03:40 PM
ihatebraydenschenn

Quote:
You do realize you can't stick in your 360 or Xbox game in the One and expect it to work right?
Yes, and that's why I mentioned that both companies are annoying the **** out of me in terms of backwards compatibility.

Old
06-10-2013, 03:52 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
What are the flaws of PS4? Not being a dick or anything, I just haven't read anything negative about the PS4 to this point other than the potential high price to start. Haha.

Games don't really make a difference for me either. For the most part, the best games are on both consoles. There are a couple here and there that have come out on one and not the other, but I feel like for the most part it really isn't a big deal. For every Xbox exclusive that I wished was on PS3, there was a PS3 exclusive I am sure I would have wished was on Xbox.
Games are HUGEEEE for me. HUGE. The exclusives are important. Im not really into anime games too much (like a few but not alot) and Sony focuses ALOT of their games department into that. That being said though if XB1 goes more entertainment I gotta weight that also.

Also ALL of my friends play xbox and are most likely staying on that boat so... gotta weigh that also.

I have no allegiance to any of the companies like many on here and everywhere do. Would like all the information first before deciding.

Old
06-10-2013, 04:42 PM
Hollywood Couturier

I just pre-ordered the Xbox One on Amazon. I will be doing the same once the PS4 pre-orders go live. I posted this in the Xbox One/PS4 thread over on the Geek Emporium board.

I haven't really ever personally bought a console at launch (i'm 21 now). How long would you expect to have to wait after launch to actually get the console? Always seems that production never meets the demand at launch.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 06:28 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post
I just pre-ordered the Xbox One on Amazon. I will be doing the same once the PS4 pre-orders go live. I posted this in the Xbox One/PS4 thread over on the Geek Emporium board.

I haven't really ever personally bought a console at launch (i'm 21 now). How long would you expect to have to wait after launch to actually get the console? Always seems that production never meets the demand at launch.
I never pre-ordered one. I waited outside a K-Mart unsuccessfully for the PS2 when it was released. I wound up getting one near X-mas from putting my name on the list when I didn't get it the first time. I don't know if that is the same thing. Haha.

Old
06-10-2013, 07:31 PM
Go For It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post

At 20, I'm likely going to be in the same boat as you, but at this point, I'm leaning towards only getting one of the consoles. I can't justify spending close to $1000 on 2 new consoles as soon as they come out.

Go For It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 08:03 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

So.. havent pre-ordered a game in a LONG TIME but....

Gonna be a pre-order.

Old
06-10-2013, 08:09 PM
SolidSnakeUS

It looks ****ing AMAZING. They were playing with a PS4 as well.

Old
06-10-2013, 08:11 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
It looks ****ing AMAZING. They were playing with a PS4 as well.
One of those games though where it depends on where my friends play. NOT going to be able to play with randoms on it.

Old
06-10-2013, 08:15 PM
SolidSnakeUS

With the crawling thing down the hallway, it looks like it may have some horror elements. Awesome .

Old
06-10-2013, 08:27 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Is that in game voice or friends playing? I couldn't tell, which is a good thing... having said that, that would drive me a bit bonkers after awhile if it was in game

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 08:41 PM
Jray42

vCash: 300
Quote:
Is that in game voice or friends playing? I couldn't tell, which is a good thing... having said that, that would drive me a bit bonkers after awhile if it was in game
Sounded like in-game to me.

Jray42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 08:46 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jray42 View Post
Sounded like in-game to me.
Yea if you notice above their heads the mic wave going off. Think its ingame also.

I kind of like that for some reason though.