HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Subban wins the Norris!!!!! (per Reality)

Old
06-10-2013, 12:43 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

vCash: 500
Why do I think Don Cherry is going to take credit for this?

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 12:49 PM
HockeyPinko

PK is a Game Changer

Should this Kypreos tweet be proven to be true.... Habs extremely lucky to have a player of his caliber.

HockeyPinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 12:50 PM
Ghetto Sangria
Groupthink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Also, Bergevin should never have been so stubborn on that bridge deal (his only blip imo so far). We could have had Subban signed at a discount. Short term gain for long term pain. His next contract will cost the Canadiens.

PK definitely deserved it. Happy Letang didn't win it, especially when you take into consideration his defensive game.
I kind of agree with you, but at the same time, it could be that Bergy's bridge (you havn't proved anything yet) contract may have helped PK get motivated.

Therrien starting subban off slowly too when he got back seemed to humble him a bit... both of these things could have attributed to Subban's maturation for all we know.

Ghetto Sangria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 12:51 PM
HabsProspectsExpert
Artturi Lehkonen

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsProspectsExpert View Post
I'm not happy with this because $$$
I was a mainly sarcastic, but there is truth behind it. I hope I will get a long term deal. Something like that 6.75M/8years.

HabsProspectsExpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 12:52 PM
lou4gehrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Also, Bergevin should never have been so stubborn on that bridge deal (his only blip imo so far). We could have had Subban signed at a discount. Short term gain for long term pain. His next contract will cost the Canadiens.

PK definitely deserved it. Happy Letang didn't win it, especially when you take into consideration his defensive game.
Bridge deal is what motivated Subban. I don't understand this message boards obsession with signing every player on the cheap. Sometimes players sulk when underpaid.

So he's a Norris winning defenseman. Let's pay him accordingly and make him a centerpiece of our team. I'd guess he plays even better by being respected instead of being underpaid.

lou4gehrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 12:52 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Meh.. he's just as good as Del Zotto. His contract demands are unreasonable.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 12:57 PM
GoHomez

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
@RealKyper:
Confirmed word out of Montreal and NY is #Canadian P.K Subban will be announced during Cup final as the winner of #NHL 2013 Norris trophy.
Did he just say the N word?

Would a "N***** of the Year"-avatar be OK with the mods?

Last edited by GoHomez: 06-10-2013 at 01:05 PM.
GoHomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 01:00 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Subban was probably the difference between the Habs being an average team and being in the league's top 8. His powerplay results is what people noticed but he was massive at driving results 5 on 5. No d-man provided more value this year to his team and its a well deserved award.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 01:01 PM
BBB24

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsProspectsExpert View Post
I was a mainly sarcastic, but there is truth behind it. I hope I will get a long term deal. Something like that 6.75M/8years.
You know due to the tax rate in Quebec, he will need to be paid in the area of 8m per.

BBB24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 01:02 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou4gehrig View Post
Bridge deal is what motivated Subban. I don't understand this message boards obsession with signing every player on the cheap. Sometimes players sulk when underpaid.

So he's a Norris winning defenseman. Let's pay him accordingly and make him a centerpiece of our team. I'd guess he plays even better by being respected instead of being underpaid.
That's like if you would find a ultimate cure to Cancer, and the recognition goes to your a**hole teacher who gave you a hasty 6 month deadline and small budget in the purpose of "motivating" you.

No respect for his talents, his skills, his personal motivation and determination, his history (yes he's BLACK, yes we live in racist world, yes he always had to work harder then a white male), his family and their education and THEIR motivation.

MB has JACK to do what PK has accomplished.

Let's not forget half the fanbase and journalists in mtl were ready to ship out subban less then a year ago. MB wasn't probably very far in that line of thinking in that regard, which is what resulted in giving him that ridic contract.

Last edited by uiCk: 06-10-2013 at 01:08 PM.
uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 01:03 PM
Ghetto Sangria
Groupthink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
Subban was probably the difference between the Habs being an average team and being in the league's top 8. His powerplay results is what people noticed but he was massive at driving results 5 on 5. No d-man provided more value this year to his team and its a well deserved award.
I still think Suter was more valuable to his team considering the minutes he was playing... He did have a great partner in Brodin though

Ghetto Sangria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 01:06 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
That's like if you would find a ultimate cure to Cancer, and the recognition goes to your a**hole teacher who gave you a hasty 6 month deadline and small budget in the purpose of "motivating" you.
No respect for his talents, his skills, his personal motivation and determination, his history (yes he's BLACK, yes we live in racist world, yes he always had to work harder then a white male), his family and their education and THEIR motivation.

Yeah, like that's exactly the same thing

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
haburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Meh.. he's just as good as Del Zotto. His contract demands are unreasonable.

lol.i remember the del zotto comparisons.there were even worse ones than that too .pk was elite befor this season and will be for a long time.even at 7 mil + per he is well worth it.

haburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
When people are afraid that a Norris Trophy hurts the team from a contract negotiation point of view it's apparent they need reminders of how NOT to negotiate a contract.

When people defend mediocrity and are scared about the consequences of SUCCESS it's frightening to think what this fanbase is morphing to.

My autographed PK jersey just went up in value.
Indeed... Still, most of this board have to issue paying HUGE prices for mediocrity (3.9M for Gorges, 5M for Gionta).

HiggsBozon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 01:07 PM
Tusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHomez View Post

It shouldn't be okay with anybody for obvious reasons, the second one being it's not very funny at all.

Tusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 01:09 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHomez View Post

Huh?

Wow. Some people are just... wow.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 01:10 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
But Sutter has more ice time, wasn't that a clear indication that he deserved to win?

Well I hope it's true or else we all got punked lol

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 01:11 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Yeah, like that's exactly the same thing
Point being is that PK's Skills and Talent and self determination and self motivation is what lead his year, and what MB did was nothing more then doubting that PK would be able to pull it off.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 01:13 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
A better avatar idea would be to make fun of the Sens irrational love for Karlsson

"Best black defenseman in the league"
Pic of Karlsson: "What about me?"

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 01:13 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
Huh?

Wow. Some people are just... wow.
Norris. He means Norris. It's a joke.

...but safe to say, no, the mods won't be okay with avatars like those. Precisely because of these types of misunderstandings

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 01:19 PM
HabsProspectsExpert
Artturi Lehkonen

I personally think the bridge deal wasn't a mistake, what people would have give him..? 4-5 years contract at 5-6M and than overpaying or losing him in the free agency. I wouldn't have taken that risk seing what happen to NJ and Parise or Ana with now the 4th and 6th highest payed(cap hit) players in the league.

HabsProspectsExpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 01:23 PM
overlords
Hfboards

It says Naggers.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 01:24 PM
lamp9post

Quote:
Point being is that PK's Skills and Talent and self determination and self motivation is what lead his year, and what MB did was nothing more then doubting that PK would be able to pull it off.
MB's job is to get the best deal for the team, and he did that. Don't know how that translates to doubting PK. Another classic HFboards leap of logic I guess.

lamp9post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 01:26 PM
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?

Send a message via Skype™ to dmanfish90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Wong View Post
First major trophy for a member of the Habs in long time.

Very well deserved imo. Lots of room for him to improve before he reaches his ceiling.
JOSE 2001-02 (Hart & Vezina). Love this. Congrats to PK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
Oh man, he's gonna cost us a ******** of money next summer but congrats to PK if true. And a big **** you to all the haters out there.
Doesn't matter, won division

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I still don't think Bergevin cares about paying Subban what he's worth. To me that was the whole point of the bridge contract - I'm sure Bergevin knows he could have caved and signed Subban to a discount for a longer term, but I don't think his goal is to nickel-and-dime his players. I think he's more than okay with saying, "we don't have a problem paying you what you're worth if you accomplish the goals we set out for you". Maybe it'll cause him cap headaches, but I think he values the good will and the culture it creates over a million or so bucks in cap space.

At least, that's what I believe his philosophy to be. Whether you agree with it or not is another thing entirely, but I think it's at least respectable (if maybe not practical from the point of view of the cap).
This. A great philosphy for GMs to go by. Better than having a GM that trades your best goaltending prospect for a Calder trophy winner that had a really bad sophmore (and possibly junior) slump (yes, i'm talking about JFJ and the TML).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
**** YES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993 View Post
Using the bridge contract is not only smart but a must for any GM to properly manage a team. Look at Edmonton for proof of what overpaying for kids does to your ability to build a competitive team. The CBA was designed to keep a lid on salaries for younger players. If you don't use it then you are a fool. Now all of Edmontons younger players will want what Ebs and Hall received with their 2nd contract. RNH, Yaks And Schultz will want the 5 million per. What a mess. Hats off to MB for using his brain.
What a debacle Edmonton will be in a couple years. Bridge contracts are important.

dmanfish90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 01:28 PM
lou4gehrig

Quote:

Yeah okay. Wow, get a grip. I'm going to ignore your racial comments. It's not relevant.

Money and contracts motivate players in sports. It's a fact. If it didn't why did PK hold out? He chose not to play because he wanted to be paid more than being offered.

He played with a chip on his shoulder this year and he played great. It was motivation it's pretty obvious. Kudos to MB for setting the play well and get paid precedence. And kudos to PK for emerging as a star through his great play.

lou4gehrig is offline   Reply With Quote