Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

(New) WCHA Presidents/ADs/coaches meeting in Bemidji

06-09-2013, 06:51 PM
vCash: 500
(New) WCHA Presidents/ADs/coaches meeting in Bemidji

Presidents from schools in the revamped league will meet here Sunday and Monday for a league-wide summit to discuss media packages, finances, budgets and various other items described by WCHA commissioner Bruce McLeod as things that the presidents need to “vote on and stamp out.”
The 2013-14 season will be the first for the newly constituted men’s league, which features Bemidji State, Minnesota State-Mankato, Michigan Tech, Alaska-Anchorage, Ferris State, Alaska-Fairbanks, Lake Superior State, Northern Michigan, Bowling Green State and Alabama-Huntsville.

The women’s league remains the same (Bemidji State, Minnesota, Minnesota-Duluth, Minnesota State-Mankato, North Dakota, Ohio State, St. Cloud State and Wisconsin).

Since the schools come from different leagues many of the presidents of the universities have never met before.

This summit — which will also include athletic directors, a coaching representative and a faculty representative — will give the league’s presidents a chance to get to know one another in both a formal and informal capacity, according to McLeod.

The No. 1 item on the agenda for the presidents to discuss is what McLeod referred to as a “formal presentation” to the league presidents regarding a “media package” that includes television deals for WCHA regular season and tournament games as well as internet streaming rights.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
06-10-2013, 09:12 AM
vCash: 470
"revamped"... hm, I guess that's one way to put it. I think I would have gone with "neutered".

Teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
06-10-2013, 02:00 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
vCash: 50
Originally Posted by Teemu View Post
"revamped"... hm, I guess that's one way to put it. I think I would have gone with "neutered".
That's too kind. I'd call it "jury-rigged."

This is the equivalent of a shipwreck, with the officers getting off on one life raft (Big Ten) and the first class passengers getting off in the remaining one (NCHC), leaving the crew and the rest of the passengers stuck clinging to the flotsam roped together to make a raft for their very lives.

The surviving league is the Raft of the Medusa, is what I'm saying. All the major power brokers and money makers are gone, what's left are a few good medium-level programs and small programs sprung across a very vast distance.

That's not to say that the teams won't be competitive, or that WCHA teams won't win championships. But there's going to be even more red ink than black in that reformed conference going forward.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote