HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jake Gardiner for 7th overall pick (EDM)

Old
06-10-2013, 02:17 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 500
I think this is a move Edmonton should strongly consider if Monahan or Nischushkin aren't there at 7.

Jake Gardiner is a long time defense partner of Justin Schultz and dominated a professional league under Dallas Eakins. It's just the perfect fit for him.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 02:21 PM
sokocanuck

vCash: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
I think this is a move Edmonton should strongly consider if Monahan or Nischushkin aren't there at 7.

Jake Gardiner is a long time defense partner of Justin Schultz and dominated a professional league under Dallas Eakins. It's just the perfect fit for him.
If there isn't a potential 1C left on the board, there's no reason for TO to do it.
If there is a potential 1C left on the board, there's no reason for Edm to do it.

sokocanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 02:23 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenadyan View Post
No from a Leafs perspective.

Why not just keep Gardiner and see how he plays over the course of a full season??

I don't understand the concept of trading away an up-and-coming player for a pick that may take 2-3 years to develop.

Just draft the BPA at 21 and be done with it.
Nichushkin wont take 2-3 yrs to become a solid NHLer. Monahan has played 3 full season in CHL already and wont take long to become a pro..
Lindholm should be playing in NHL soon as well.

Gardiner is good but is not good enough to be a top pairing Dman.
TOR is stacked with LHDs and will have to move someone just to get Reilly in the lineup. Things get muddier if they sign Ranger.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 03:10 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
So the Oilers should trade their pick, who could either end up better than Gardiner, or be used to leverage a better player than Gardiner. Makes sense to me.
Sure he could end up better than Gardiner. It's a longshot though.
People really overrate picks on here. Take a look at the last 10 years 7th overall pick and then compare it to Gardiner. There is no way you are getting a player like Gardiner for the 7th pick. Absolutely zero chance.

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 03:14 PM
hockeygeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Nichushkin wont take 2-3 yrs to become a solid NHLer. Monahan has played 3 full season in CHL already and wont take long to become a pro..
Lindholm should be playing in NHL soon as well.

TOR is stacked with LHDs and will have to move someone just to get Reilly in the lineup. Things get muddier if they sign Ranger.
How did you come to this conclusion? He's one of the best skaters in the league. Those guys seem to do alright...

hockeygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 03:18 PM
Diatomic
~~~ NAZEM KADRI ~~~

EDM would take this deal and run with it.

NHL ready D-man, amazing puck mover, best friends with Schultz, NHL ALL-STAR Rookie, 5 points in 6 Playoff games vs The Bruins, and not to mention Eakins developed Gardiner.

Not sure why Oiler fans are having second doubts.

Diatomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 03:26 PM
firstemperor

Quote:
He would be a top pairing on the Oilers by next season if he were traded. He has the ability to quarterback a #1PP unit and can take over games with his skating ability. We've seen glimpses of it. For me, it's not a question of if he will be a top pairing d-man, it's when.

I'm been enamored by great skating defenseman since Neidermayer. Guys like Karlsson, OEL. At his best, Gardiner is right up there with them. If the new NHL has required a requisite for any single skill- it's skating.

firstemperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 03:43 PM
OILSLICK94

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstemperor View Post
He would be a top pairing on the Oilers by next season if he were traded. He has the ability to quarterback a #1PP unit and can take over games with his skating ability. We've seen glimpses of it. For me, it's not a question of if he will be a top pairing d-man, it's when.

I'm been enamored by great skating defenseman since Neidermayer. Guys like Karlsson, OEL. At his best, Gardiner is right up there with them. If the new NHL has required a requisite for any single skill- it's skating.
I can see it.....in do time. sure he ain't a Shattenkirk or OEL yet....but who knows if there is still development left.

both him and Justin Schultz are RFA's next season, thats when it can get dicey for the Oil. They would need to be locked up ASAP.

Gardiner J.Schultz
Smid Petry
Belov N.Schultz
Potter

Allows Klefbom to develop @ OKC, and in due time he will replace Potter or N.Schultz on the roster going forward.

The pipe dreams of Shea Weber and Pietrangelo and Shattenkirk are not happening......

OILSLICK94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 03:53 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsWantStanley View Post

NHL ready D-man, amazing puck mover, best friends with Schultz, NHL ALL-STAR Rookie, 5 points in 6 Playoff games vs The Bruins, and not to mention Eakins developed Gardiner.

Because there are some really solid prospects projected to be available at 7th overall that could potentially fill large needs for Edmonton

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 04:00 PM
Brian28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiinleaf View Post
We do not want to trade him

The deal that makes sense is Franson + 21st for 7th..
Now you're just trolling. Franson is worth a late first. 2 late firsts don't get you a top 10 pick in this deep of a draft.

It takes a 2nd round pick on average to move up 2 spots let alone more than 10. You also have to consider Edmonton's POV before offering a deal. Would Edmonton prefer the 7th overall or Franson...not a tough choice given the talent available in this draft.

Brian28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 04:14 PM
pspot

on the leafs board I suggested

Gardiner, Grabo, Komisarek and 21st for 7th (if Monohan there), Horcoff, Petry, Jones

probably getting greedy including Jones but saw it as

Oilers
- Gardiner obvious fit with Schultz and Eakins and this kid is unreal easily top 4 and could be a top 2.
- Komisarek vet presence that Eakins just had in the A
- Grabo 8 years younger than Horcoff, overpaid but a competitive player that would go through a wall for you and stepped up during the playoffs. Has talent and will put up points too.

Leafs
- Resign Bozak, Horcoff is better suited for 3rd line role and another strong faceoff guy.
- when Horcoff's contract is up hope Monohan is ready for the jump
- losing Gardiner sucks but Liles and Gunnar can cover the left until Rielly is ready
- Petry gives them another top 6 right handed dman to go with Franson and O'Bryne

pspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 04:15 PM
Aceonfire
Las Vegas Aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstemperor View Post

I am a fan of Gardiner but really?

1 good year and a decent playoff series doesn't make him a Norris contender.

Aceonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 04:18 PM
pspot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceonfire View Post

ignore that, he's like another Voynov / Kronwall

pspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 04:18 PM
Mr V

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsWantStanley View Post

And I would think that he would have a major voice in deciding if the Oilers would make that trade or not.

Mr V is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 04:38 PM
firstemperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceonfire View Post

I didn't say he was anywhere close to OEL or Karlsson as a player. Those are franchise-calibre defenseman. Nor do I think his ceiling is a franchise d-man. I'm suggesting that his skating is on par with those players when at his best. That's just one aspect of his game. He doesn't have the elite vision, hands, acceleration of a guy like Karlsson. Those type of players are once-a-decade, perhaps once-a-generation when his career finishes.

His skating ability isn't predicated as much on his acceleration but his ability to skate out of traffic, skate and carry the puck out past defenders, through good chance of pace, direction, and pivoting. He's more analogous to a skater like Neidermayer, albeit a lot less proven.

Agreed with the above in it that he projects as a Kronwall-lite type as his ceiling, except with superior skating.

Right now, I think he can be as good as a guy like Paul Martin (obviously a better skater, slightly weaker defensively) if he were to play a full season, healthy, and was given minutes/special teams play.

firstemperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 05:46 PM
Anth93

I'm genuinely surprised by how many people just have no idea what players they're discussing. Jake Gardiner's skill level is swaying the minds of many Leaf fans (including myself) in the Rielly vs Gardiner debate. There is absolutely no reason to trade him just because the Oilers can't get a day 1 starter at #7.

If you want Jake Gardiner, give us one of your prized young players. We're looking to win also.

Anth93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 05:57 PM
Hawaiinleaf

No way Gards gets dealt for a 7th it makes us a lot worse off..

If Gards continues his already strong progression after next next year he will be worth any of the Oilers top 4..We want to take the risk of a 7th for that pass..

I mean seriously ever time he had the puck in the series even the announcers got excited as he swept up the ice..i would not trade him for Mona han straight up pass...top 4 guys yes but not Monahan

Hawaiinleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 06:48 PM
Blaylock38
Bleeds Blue & White

No Thanks, I am hoping Gardiner's emergence and continied progression can allow the Leafs to trade Phanuef for the centre they need.

Blaylock38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 07:00 PM
EscapeGoat
We The North

Quote:
Which isnt really awful..
Most Leaf fans wouldn't trade Gardiner for the 7th overall straight up. Why would you add on the Leafs end? Back to the drawing board I guess, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth93 View Post
I'm genuinely surprised by how many people just have no idea what players they're discussing. There is absolutely no reason to trade him just because the Oilers can't get a day 1 starter at #7.

If you want Jake Gardiner, give us one of your prized young players. We're looking to win also.
Pretty much. I'd trade him for one of the Oilers young players or take their 1st rounder + more.

EscapeGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 07:47 PM
DougGilmour93

Gardiner > 7th overall

It would take more than the 7th overall to land Gardiner. Young, proven, progressing players is easily worth more than an unknown draft pick. The only picks I would deal him for would be for a top 4 pick as they are more of a sure thing with higher upside. So with that being said, anyone with a top 4 pick want to make a deal (Col, Fla, TB, Nsh)?

DougGilmour93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 07:55 PM
crazyaces**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
If Gardner had picked up where he left off last year instead of living in the minors for a lot of this year it might be more plausable. As it is I wouldn't go for it if I were the oilers.
here's something you might find interesting!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012%E2...13_NHL_lockout

crazyaces** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 08:00 PM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiinleaf View Post
No way Gards gets dealt for a 7th it makes us a lot worse off..
Does it?

Dion Phaneuf
Cody Franson
Carl Gunnarsson
John-Michael Liles
Mark Fraser
Morgan Rielly
Matt Finn
Stuart Percy
Jesse Blacker
Korbinian Holzer
Petter Granberg
Tom Nilsson

+1 of Sean Monohan/Elias Lindholm

Gardiner is an exceptional talent and he would thrive in Edmonton. In the playoffs, he was the best defenceman on either team in a couple games. He is not an asset that you think about moving but we have Morgan Rielly coming up and he plays a very similar style.

The 2011 and 2012 drafts (Percy/Nilsson/Rielly/Finn) really allow us to contemplate moving a top D prospect for a top C prospect.

Four1 Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 08:01 PM
Billy6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
Gardiners playoffs showed he had top pairing potential. He's untouchable to me. I'd trade Rielly though.
I agree. I would trade Rielly before Gardiner.

Billy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 08:04 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth93 View Post
I'm genuinely surprised by how many people just have no idea what players they're discussing. Jake Gardiner's skill level is swaying the minds of many Leaf fans (including myself) in the Rielly vs Gardiner debate. There is absolutely no reason to trade him just because the Oilers can't get a day 1 starter at #7.

There's no chance in hell Gardiner lands any of the big 4...

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 08:29 PM
EscapeGoat
We The North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Gardiner View Post
Does it?

Dion Phaneuf
Cody Franson
Carl Gunnarsson
John-Michael Liles
Mark Fraser
Morgan Rielly
Matt Finn
Stuart Percy
Jesse Blacker
Korbinian Holzer
Petter Granberg
Tom Nilsson

+1 of Sean Monohan/Elias Lindholm

Gardiner is an exceptional talent and he would thrive in Edmonton. In the playoffs, he was the best defenceman on either team in a couple games. He is not an asset that you think about moving but we have Morgan Rielly coming up and he plays a very similar style.

The 2011 and 2012 drafts (Percy/Nilsson/Rielly/Finn) really allow us to contemplate moving a top D prospect for a top C prospect.
That's nice but the Leafs aren't rebuilding.

EscapeGoat is offline   Reply With Quote