HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

20 years ago/7305 days of failure/ We suck/ blah blah thread

Old
06-09-2013, 05:52 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
The ones who would jeer us either have longer droughts or won 1 in 50 years. I'm unphased by it but obviously the habs could do better.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 06:03 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
And drafted kids somehow have different preferences than normal kids? Lots of people still like the Habs, we sellout every game for a reason. The Leafs also have a ton of fans. With no way to measure it you're just making stuff up to suit your pessimism.

Besides, favourite teams don't matter at all. It's that delusion that makes Leafs fans think they're going to sign every big name FA just because they cheered for them when they were younger.
Yes, drafted kids are different. 'Cause their goal is actually to PLAY in a winning team, in a relevant one, where you'd actually make a living in, in the best atmosphere possible. Not that long ago, you would rarely read about how being drafted by Tampa Bay was so great due to the weather but then how Montreal would probaby not be ideal due to pressure, results, snow and lack of Tostitos. While the other kids are just cheering mainly because like I said, their dads can still say how great they once were, and that you usually do cheer for the hometown team. As it's the case even for kids in Phoenix or in Columbus. And yeah 'cause my pessimism is only in my head, we have been so relevant in the past 20 years....But then my pessimism tells me that we are surely going in the right direction with this new management...but that' surely pessimism talking, I probaby should be saying that we'll win the cup next year.

Ssurely, when the money is so much greater elsewhere than your local team, as far as UFA's are concerned, you'd go where the money is. But when the choice isn't that great to begin with, you do think that you'd favor the team you grew up loving. But I guess that's just me. By the way, UFA had nothing to do with that as I wasn't talking about 27 yo men here....Main point was solely to demonstrate, as if it wasn't clear enough, that we haven't been relevant in 20 years. That's all. But if you want to put me in a category, you can do it by putting me in the delusional crowd who did believe that a Q franco player that dreamed to play for the Habs would always give a little extra more in this team that is the Montreal Canadiens with everything that it represented. Or any Finnish player that loved the Montreal Canadiens surely because their hero Koivu played in it. I am that kind of emotional fan. That's one side of my analysis in a team, thank god it's not all of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danadiens View Post
Kids must be different where you come from, because most kids where I am still have the Habs as their fave.
Not saying the contrary as far as the cheering crowd is concerned. We still go for the hometown team. Like it happens on the 29 other cities of this league. I know that I've never seen so many Ovechkin or Crosby fans in today's hockey that I've ever saw Gretzky's fans in my days. And by going with those stars, they happen to cheer from their team too. Just that a cheering crowd that hasn't any "work" related business with the team is different than a "playing" crowd.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 08:57 PM
Price My Man Crush

vCash: 500
Dat feel when you weren't even born when your favorite hockey team won their last Stanley Cup.
Dat feel when some people here could be my father and were old enough to appreciate the fact that the Montreal ****ing Canadiens won the Stanley Cup.

#letmecry

Price My Man Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 09:10 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Well, Teufel, since you're an old fart like me, you gotta admit it's been a long time.
Ye, but unlike the youngsters I'm fortified with memories of long Cup runs in addition to singletons like '86 and '93.

In a previous post I forgot to add the Canucks, who entered the NHL at the same time as the Sabres. to my list of Cup virgins

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 04:59 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

digging the re-titling

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 06:26 AM
Shawn Wilken
Hockey's Future Staff
@CrimsonSkorpion

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
digging the re-titling
- "Ovahlawd."
- "Qui d'autre?"

Shawn Wilken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 07:18 AM
Rickkins

20 years ago today(June 10, 1993), my son was born....

Rickkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 07:52 AM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

Happy birthday, Rickkins' son !

Jee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 09:17 AM
Uber Coca

The last 20 years, the Montreal Canadiens never had a team that could contend for the Stanley Cup. This is the real failure IMO. Now, we're far from being the laughing stock of the league. I'm actually amazed at the record given the lineup of the beginning-to-mid 2000's.

Uber Coca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 12:02 PM
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?

Send a message via Skype™ to dmanfish90
So i've been a serious Habs fan since probably 2003. So my 10 years of negatives and positives about the franchise:

Negatives (Chronologically):
  • Drafting AK46 (a slight negative) in 2003
  • Ribeiro for Niiniimaa plus a 7th.
  • Go up 2-0 against Carolina, Williams sticks Koviu's eye, lose 4 straight, they win the cup
  • Mishandling of the Koivu/Kovalev captaincy debacle. Getting swept by Boston later that year.
  • Letting Koivu walk without even an offer.
  • Gomez trade.
  • Debacle/media circus that was the 2011-12 season (JM, PG, RC, etc.)

Positives: (Chronologically)
  • Going down 3-1 against the Bruins in 2004 to beat them
  • 1st place in the Eastern Conference and the "resurgence" of AK27
  • Down 5-0 going into the 3rd period of a Regular Season game against the NYR. We score 5 in the third and win in OT/SO
  • Shutting out the Bruins 4-0 (5-0?) in Game 7 of 2008 Playoffs
  • 2010 Playoff run to the ECF
  • 2013 Season.
  • Knowing that in this same time period, Leafs made the playoffs about twice/three times and we've made the playoffs 5+

We're not a laughingstock, but a lot of fans don't like us fans cuz of how extremely bi-polar our spectrum of fans are (Leafs fans are just as bad too though). By the decade is up, we'll be SC Contenders. It is unlikely we win a SC before the decade is over too, but it's a possibility.

In the words of Anakin Slayde, "Les Canadiens forever"

dmanfish90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 01:30 PM
BBB24

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsByTheBay View Post
The tax differential between Quebec and everywhere else isn't absurd. A guy making $7 million will only pay about $250,000 more in taxes than a guy in New York and I don't see the Rangers struggling to sign free agents. That's not counting the greater endorsement/personal appearance/autograph signing opportunities in Montreal compared to US cities that frankly like other sports more. Even an anglo who can read French off a cue card like Gary Carter can rake in the money.

It's also worth remembering that it's been like this for a long time, and the Canadiens did not have trouble attracting people to play for them in the 80s.

I'm not saying it doesn't matter, but it doesn't matter as much as being good. The biggest problem is and always will be that the Canadiens are on average a 90-point team in the last 20 years. Guys will sign for NY, Boston, Vancouver, LA or other teams that in high-tax areas because they think they can win there. People don't feel like that about Montreal.

Edit: I've just remembered that US income taxes rose in 2013, so the gap between Montreal and the US franchises has certainly shrunk.

Has not shrunk any near what you seem to believe it has.

BBB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 02:00 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboss View Post
Habs are going no where with the speed and skill mentality
How about all the plodding tough teams that haven't been able to sniff the Cup? The Habs had a speed and skill profile when they won their championships. Please don't cite the names of slow, tough, aggressive players on those teams because a number of them were only passengers. How do you think the underdog Habs won the Cup in 1971, beating the favored Bruins and Hawks along the way? It wasn't because they had John Ferguson. If you research the archives you'll see that Frank Mahovlich set a record for the number of points in a playoff year and of course the Habs had Béliveau, Cournoyer, Henri Richard, and Lemaire--not to mention Ken Dryden.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 08:00 PM
j52

Those were the days my friend. We thought they'd never end. Oh yes, those were the days.

j52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 08:10 PM
hockeyfan2k11

I'm just happy I was around to remember the cup run in 89 and the win in 93. Never would have thought that it would take us 20+ years to make it to the ECF just once.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 08:10 PM
Et le But

It's true speed and skill won't win anything without complimentary pieces, including size, toughness, all that. But you don't abandon speed and skill for all that complimentary grit, there's a reason skill is what still has the most value in this league - it's the hardest to replace.

You look like a team like Chicago, yes they have balance, they have size, all that. But their core is definitely about speed and skill first. Most of their tougher role players were made by playing next to such high end talent.

Saying "speed and skill" doesn't work because the Habs have been hurt by being undersized is like telling your kid to stop studying science and history because he failed math. The Habs haven't even been that skilled during this time - yes we have depth there, but how many Habs players over the past decade have had great hands?

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 08:26 PM
WhiskeySeven*
Founded: BargainBin

Chicago's speed and skill totally outshine our speed and skill. We don't have a single player remotely comparable to Toews or Kane in terms of talent.

WhiskeySeven* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 08:29 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Chicago's speed and skill totally outshine our speed and skill. We don't have a single player remotely comparable to Toews or Kane in terms of talent.
The only players on the Habs in the same universe as Kane, Toews and Hossa speed and skill wise are Galchenyuk and Subban, and one is very raw and the other is a defenseman.

But actually we are on the best track when it comes to that than we have been in a while with those two and Eller, and hopefully a few others in the system. But when some of the Hawks "blue collar" players are so highly rated you have to realize who they are playing with.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 08:45 PM
couris

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboss View Post
Habs are going no where with the speed and skill mentality
We are not the fastest team in the league. The skill is average. 0 toughness.

couris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:49 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post
What was your favourite and least favourite moment of the last 20 years?
Well my favorite moment of the past 20 years was the summer 20 years ago.

2nd favorite...Koivu's first game back.

06-13-2013, 12:02 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Galchenyuk? Subban? Price?

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 12:10 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Galchenyuk? Subban? Price?
No offense, I think you just helped Whiskyseven make his point.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 12:35 PM
Price My Man Crush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
No offense, I think you just helped Whiskyseven make his point.
Galchenyuk & Subban can't be compared to Toews & Kane in terms of talent? Is this a joke or something?

Price My Man Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 06:16 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Coca View Post
The last 20 years, the Montreal Canadiens never had a team that could contend for the Stanley Cup. This is the real failure IMO. Now, we're far from being the laughing stock of the league. I'm actually amazed at the record given the lineup of the beginning-to-mid 2000's.
99-01 were probably the darkest years that I remember. You had poor teams, poor CDN dollar, and a prospect pipeline that didn't look great (but turned out a bit better than expected when looking back). Then there was koivu's cancer diagnosis.

The habs have been a mediocre franchise since then. Reading some posts, you might think that montreal has been outright bad, but that's only because of the standard built from the franchise's overall success.

In Montreal

Great is expected
Good is not good enough
Mediocre is poor

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 07:42 PM
WhiskeySeven*
Founded: BargainBin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mover View Post
Galchenyuk & Subban can't be compared to Toews & Kane in terms of talent? Is this a joke or something?
Galchenyuk is comparable to Toews and/or Kane?

We have Subban as our only established elite talent, they have Keith, Toews, Kane and Hossa as their established elite talent. Not even close.

WhiskeySeven* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 07:46 PM
Shawn Wilken
Hockey's Future Staff
@CrimsonSkorpion

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Galchenyuk is comparable to Toews and/or Kane?

We have Subban as our only established elite talent, they have Keith, Toews, Kane and Hossa as their established elite talent. Not even close.
I don't know, man. That move Galchenyuk pulled to make Hainsey nearly break his ankles is pretty much on par with Toews' Stanley Cup ring.

Shawn Wilken is offline   Reply With Quote