HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you trade Jake Gardiner for Sean Monahan/Elias Lindholm?

View Poll Results: Would you trade Jake Gardiner for the #7 pick in the draft?
Yes 54 21.34%
No 199 78.66%
Voters: 253. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-10-2013, 08:43 PM
TieClark

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Schenn for JVR made sense from the perspective that Schenn had nothing on JVR: he didn't have the skating, he didn't have the skills, he didn't even have a size advantage on JVR. He was just a former high pick with a weak package of skills that wasn't much of a gamble.

Gardiner has a ton of tools and is further along in development to boot than Monahan or Horvat. You have to realize that when you want to trade Gards for one of these picks, there's a huge draft day markup and hype you're buying into. Strictly from a prospect point of view, you probably think Horvat is a better investment than a Radek Faksa or something like that. Why? Because Faksa doesn't have his draft day sizzle anymore.
This is just plain wrong. Schenn is everything the Leafs are lacking right now. The Leafs chose to give up a lot of talent on D for a lot of talent offensively (with size that they also lacked).

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 08:47 PM
pspot

Gardiner for 7th alone no

larger deal like

Gardiner, Grabo, Komi, 21st for 7th, Petry, Horcoff, Jones

Petry another right handed dman
horcoff can play 3rd line, solid vet and faceoffs
Jones a nice replacement for Komorav

pspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 08:47 PM
hockeygeek
Rejisturd User

Quote:
Schenn for JVR made sense from the perspective that Schenn had nothing on JVR: he didn't have the skating, he didn't have the skills, he didn't even have a size advantage on JVR. He was just a former high pick with a weak package of skills that wasn't much of a gamble.

Gardiner has a ton of tools and is further along in development to boot than Monahan or Horvat. You have to realize that when you want to trade Gards for one of these picks, there's a huge draft day markup and hype you're buying into. Strictly from a prospect point of view, you probably think Horvat is a better investment than a Radek Faksa or something like that. Why? Because Faksa doesn't have his draft day sizzle anymore.
That's a bad example man. I can think of some other reasons why Faksa has lost some sizzle

hockeygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 08:49 PM
Diatomic
~~~ NAZEM KADRI ~~~

I'll cry if this Stud is shipped for the 7th overall

Diatomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 08:50 PM
ToneBone03
LEAFS

There are many players on this team I would trade for the 7th overall pick ahead of Gards. The way he played in the first round against Boston ALONE should make people realize what we have in him. Trading him straight up for the 7th overall pick is a huge gamble. There are alternative scenarios that can occur in lieu of trading Gards. I would not be opposed to packaging a player like Franson for the 7th overall pick. He's a big body, he led our d-corps in point production, and he would do nothing but help the Oilers blueline.

Something like Franson for 7th overall or even Franson + 21st for 7th.

ToneBone03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
leafstilldeath
#BlowItUp #PlayKids

I see HF boards at work again. Prospects/Picks > Good young proven players with upside...

Why Fellow Leafers Why?

Great Skating D-Men like Gards don't grown on trees...Oh Hell NO to any trade surroinding Gards

leafstilldeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Interactif

Quote:

I am a believer this draft is a Center strong draft whereas last year's was a Defence strong draft. I always like to have the odds on my side, and when reputable scouts say this is the best draft since 2003, you have to like your chances.

I also believe when a Center is established, you cannot get your hands on one other than drafting one. Defencemen are easier to get. I also see Rielly as better than Gardiner in the long run, he is a better passer, and already has the strength that Jake lacks.

To me it is very logical, if we are going to move on a Monahan, Lindholm, or Horvat, this is the time. If Gardiner falters next season, the opportunity is lost.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 08:51 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafstilldeath View Post
I see HF boards at work again. Prospects/Picks > Good young proven players with upside...

Why Fellow Leafers Why?
I asked this question a few times, what has Gardiner proven in a year and a playoffs with the Leafs? Hall of fame career?

Old
06-10-2013, 08:52 PM
Anth93

No of course not.

Anth93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 08:56 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygeek View Post
That's a bad example man. I can think of some other reasons why Faksa has lost some sizzle
Well, Radek Faksa had comparable numbers during his draft year, is an intangibles guy and was hurt for half the season, yet remains a solid prospect who is years away. That is a perfect comparable.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 08:56 PM
Diatomic
~~~ NAZEM KADRI ~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
I asked this question a few times, what has Gardiner proven in a year and a playoffs with the Leafs? Hall of fame career?
So, ship out our best Puck Possession D-man for a high risk center that may take years to develop, or worse, could bust.

5 Points in 6 Playoff games is a pretty good showing, too.

Old
06-10-2013, 08:57 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
This is just plain wrong. Schenn is everything the Leafs are lacking right now. The Leafs chose to give up a lot of talent on D for a lot of talent offensively (with size that they also lacked).
The Leafs are missing everything you want Schenn to be. We didn't miss a beat replacing Luke Schenn with Mark Fraser this year, and he didn't do very much for Philly's abysmal blueline.

Old
06-10-2013, 08:58 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsWantStanley View Post
I'll cry if this Stud is shipped for the 7th overall

In fairness there was plenty of this too when Jake was on the ice.

Old
06-10-2013, 09:00 PM
Stephen

Quote:
I am a believer this draft is a Center strong draft whereas last year's was a Defence strong draft. I always like to have the odds on my side, and when reputable scouts say this is the best draft since 2003, you have to like your chances.

I also believe when a Center is established, you cannot get your hands on one other than drafting one. Defencemen are easier to get. I also see Rielly as better than Gardiner in the long run, he is a better passer, and already has the strength that Jake lacks.

To me it is very logical, if we are going to move on a Monahan, Lindholm, or Horvat, this is the time. If Gardiner falters next season, the opportunity is lost.
I'm not going to trade Rielly or Gardiner for another prospect unless it's something spectacular like Nathan Mackinnon.

Old
06-10-2013, 09:01 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsWantStanley View Post
So, ship out our best Puck Possession D-man for a high risk center that may take years to develop, or worse, could bust.

5 Points in 6 Playoff games is a pretty good showing, too.
Jake has tremendous talent, I am not denying this, but you only seem to remember the good points of Gardiner's year. He is a riverboat gambler, if he had the body of Rielly I would be more confident he would have the necessary strength to play as a top 2 D man. But he's 23 and he still is lean, reminds me of Phil Housley.

Old
06-10-2013, 09:02 PM
Interactif

Quote:
I'm not going to trade Rielly or Gardiner for another prospect unless it's something spectacular like Nathan Mackinnon.
That's a moot point, since no GM will do this. However as we have seen you do not need a Mackinnon or Crosby to compete for the cup when you have Center's in the Bergeron or Krejci mold.

Old
06-10-2013, 09:03 PM
Stephen

Quote:
In fairness there was plenty of this too when Jake was on the ice.

I can't even imagine the Leafs throwing out a Monahan, Lindholm or Horvat out on the ice in a seven game series against Boston within the next four years and not get seriously burned.

Old
06-10-2013, 09:03 PM
Diatomic
~~~ NAZEM KADRI ~~~

Quote:
Jake has tremendous talent, I am not denying this, but you only seem to remember the good points of Gardiner's year. He is a riverboat gambler, if he had the body of Rielly I would be more confident he would have the necessary strength to play as a top 2 D man. But he's 23 and he still is lean, reminds me of Phil Housley.
Lol I do agree with you on that, I wish he would put on some muscle.

Old
06-10-2013, 09:04 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
I'm surprised at the responses in here. It's close for me and I was expecting the poll to show similar results. I take the gamble and would do the trade.

Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 09:06 PM
Stephen

Quote:
That's a moot point, since no GM will do this. However as we have seen you do not need a Mackinnon or Crosby to compete for the cup when you have Center's in the Bergeron or Krejci mold.
Krejci was drafted in 2004 and Bergeron in 2003. If you bring in Lindholm, Monahan or Horvat and are expecting a cup run, be prepared to wait a decade. However, the Bruins didn't need to trade a high calibre asset to get those picks to draft those guys. You might want to factor that into your budget.

Old
06-10-2013, 09:10 PM
hockeygeek
Rejisturd User

Quote:
Well, Radek Faksa had comparable numbers during his draft year, is an intangibles guy and was hurt for half the season, yet remains a solid prospect who is years away. That is a perfect comparable.
Regardless of the reasons I think it's safe to say he had a disappointing year. His numbers slipped quite a bit from the previous year.

Old
06-10-2013, 09:13 PM
Interactif

Quote:
I can't even imagine the Leafs throwing out a Monahan, Lindholm or Horvat out on the ice in a seven game series against Boston within the next four years and not get seriously burned.
Kids today play NHL systems in the OHL/WHL/QMJHL

I look at Landeskog or RNH and see how good they were in their rookie years. Couturier too. Top 10 picks like Tavares, Skinner, Stamkos, Kane, Seguin, Hall all seemed to grasp the game in a season or 2.

Not saying a year of AHL wouldn't be a bad thing, but the thing about Horvat and Monahan that you need not to worry about is their size, something the Leafs were about Kadri, otherwise looking back at his first training camp he was very good and may have been ready.

Old
06-10-2013, 09:18 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Gardiner only goes if it's Barkov or MacKinnon, which it won't be.

If Edmonton wants a D, they can have Franson + 21 or 51. Franson was on pace for 50 or 50+. He's no slouch, an TBH, a better deal for what Edmonton needs than Gardiner.

Simply put: No.

ErnieLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 09:19 PM
TieClark

Quote:
The Leafs are missing everything you want Schenn to be. We didn't miss a beat replacing Luke Schenn with Mark Fraser this year, and he didn't do very much for Philly's abysmal blueline.
He was their best defenceman for most of the year. The Leafs definitely missed Schenn... just because Fraser performed well in limited minutes doesn't mean we couldn't really use Schenn.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 09:25 PM
hockeygeek
Rejisturd User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didact View Post
people expect him to be great making Gardiner expendable. I don't see Reilly making an impact right away. I just wasn't impressed with him in WJC and AHL so far to date.
Of course he's not going to make an impact right away. He's not superman. You have zero patience my friend