HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Was-Cgy

Old
06-10-2013, 10:29 AM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester Copperpot View Post
I think this draft is pretty thin at goalie.

But yes, Holtby is the starter. Neuvy had a pretty good year outside of one game where he got shelled by Pittsburgh. He's very technically sound and could start. I argued that he should've because earlier in the year Holtby was a mess and whenever Neuvirth was the starter the Caps either won or came close to winning.

I think Neuvirth's worth is fringing on a 1st round pick. If I'm Calgary then I would give up a first and ask for Neuvy and a 3rd in return if I need a starting goalie. I think that's very fair for both sides.
Yeah but if we want a goalie we will just draft Fucale with this pick.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 10:59 AM
madmike77

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
I agree. The Flames don't really need a starter now. They likely won't contend for at least 3-4 years, no matter what their starting goaltender plays like. They're best off just hoping one of their current prospects or a young pick turns out.

If poor goaltending causes them to bottom out and be in the running for McDavid all the better

madmike77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 11:06 AM
F l a m e s
#winitforgio

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike77 View Post
I agree. The Flames don't really need a starter now. They likely won't contend for at least 3-4 years, no matter what their starting goaltender plays like. They're best off just hoping one of their current prospects or a young pick turns out.

If poor goaltending causes them to bottom out and be in the running for McDavid all the better
Let's not forget about Reinhart / Ekblad first.

F l a m e s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 11:11 AM
First round bust

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally31 View Post
Absolutely

First round bust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 11:13 AM
madmike77

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally31 View Post
True. I'm not getting my hopes up though. After Iginla and Bouwmeester got dealt I thought the Flames would drop like a rock in the standings. Instead they improved.

I don't think they're a good team, but I'm not convinced they're bad enough to contend for 1st overall. I think they'll continue to be stuck in the not good, but not bad enough to get a great pick category.

madmike77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 11:40 AM
CaptainCrunch67

Calgary passes, they really don't need anymore goalies so that doesn't fit a need, Schultz is interesting, but I don't think he's going to garner a big return. There's little to no chance that Ribero resigns with the Flames before the deadline.

Calgary doesn't part with any of the first rounder unless it brings back a strong prospect or young full time NHL'er

CaptainCrunch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 11:48 AM
Chester Copperpot
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch67 View Post
Schultz is interesting, but I don't think he's going to garner a big return.
A bag of pucks would shock me. George McPhee forced this guy down every head coaches throat back to when he drafted him until Adam Oates told him to get bent this season. Dude is very frustarting to watch. 6'6" tall and plays like he's on valium all of the time.

Chester Copperpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 12:05 PM
champ19

To be honest, I included Shultz because I don't like to kick anybody while he is down and was hoping to get something, anything for him. As for Ribiero by trading his rights, Calgary gets a bridge between their developing centers Backlund, Jankowski and whoever they draft this year. In a couple years Ribiero can slide down the lineup to 2nd and 3rd line roles and still be effective in a power play role. Feaster has traded for negotiating rights before with Washington(Wideman) so maybe not out of the realm of possibility. As for Neuvirth the poster that offered a 3rd rounder, well, that's laughable(even with the Shultz salary dump). Neuvirth is a 24 year old developed goaltender who has backstopped championship teams in the OHL and AHL. In the 2010-11 season as a rookie he went 27-12 -4 with a 2.45 ga and 4 shutouts while Alex Ovechkin took the year off and Bruce Boudreaus run and gun system imploded around him.The only reason they made the playoffs that year was because of him . He then went on to beat Lundquist in 5 games in the playoffs, something Holtby hasn't done in 14 games.Now if Feaster would be interested in trading either his first or the St Louis 1st for the much hyped Mr Braden Holtby, I'll drive Holtby to the airport myself.

champ19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 12:23 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester Copperpot View Post
A bag of pucks would shock me. George McPhee forced this guy down every head coaches throat back to when he drafted him until Adam Oates told him to get bent this season. Dude is very frustarting to watch. 6'6" tall and plays like he's on valium all of the time.
In all fairness, the reverse is just as true. Since the +50 season, the Caps have had to implement three very different strategies in three seasons. None have had a full offseason prior to their implementation (for non Caps fans, that's Boudreau switching to a trap in December of 2010, Hunter replacing Boudreau in November 2011, and Oates coming in post-lockout). None of those systems lasted a calendar year. Oates' will, but Schultz won't be around to see it. During the Hunter period, probably the most critical point of Schultz's development, when his confidence was waning, Hunter totally ignored him. And lets not forget that the Caps rushed his development, bringing him into the NHL at age 20 because McPhee had cobbled together a blueline made of AHLers and over-their-heads prospects.

Schultz deserves his share of the blame, but it's not like the Caps didn't do everything they could to set him up for failure.

Zoidberg Jesus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 01:47 PM
Chester Copperpot
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg Jesus View Post
Schultz deserves his share of the blame, but it's not like the Caps didn't do everything they could to set him up for failure.
That's a prevailing problem within this organization and it's why we haven't been able to get passed the second round. We had a pretty well stocked farm system and no long-term plan from a GM (go figure right?).

In regards to Schultz, I don't think it's quite as complex as you are making it out to be, I just think he was overdrafted. I mean, besides his size he has little to no measurables. I haven't seen very many players like him. Bigger than hell, slow skater, bad with the puck, not physical... just a big duffus.

And sure you can coach that up a little, but not to the potential he should have based on where he was picked in my opinion.

Chester Copperpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 03:32 PM
CaptainCrunch67

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ19 View Post
To be honest, I included Shultz because I don't like to kick anybody while he is down and was hoping to get something, anything for him. As for Ribiero by trading his rights, Calgary gets a bridge between their developing centers Backlund, Jankowski and whoever they draft this year. In a couple years Ribiero can slide down the lineup to 2nd and 3rd line roles and still be effective in a power play role. Feaster has traded for negotiating rights before with Washington(Wideman) so maybe not out of the realm of possibility. As for Neuvirth the poster that offered a 3rd rounder, well, that's laughable(even with the Shultz salary dump). Neuvirth is a 24 year old developed goaltender who has backstopped championship teams in the OHL and AHL. In the 2010-11 season as a rookie he went 27-12 -4 with a 2.45 ga and 4 shutouts while Alex Ovechkin took the year off and Bruce Boudreaus run and gun system imploded around him.The only reason they made the playoffs that year was because of him . He then went on to beat Lundquist in 5 games in the playoffs, something Holtby hasn't done in 14 games.Now if Feaster would be interested in trading either his first or the St Louis 1st for the much hyped Mr Braden Holtby, I'll drive Holtby to the airport myself.
I would say there is zero chance that he would sign in Calgary, and I don't know if he's the type of guy that you want in a rebuilding teams locker room.

So to me he's valuless to the Flames.

CaptainCrunch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 05:18 PM
BurnEmUp

Not interested in Schultz at all, and Ribiero's UFA rights really have next to no value, especially with the UFA "wooing" period in effect this year......they'd be worth a conditional late round pick at best.

Neuvirth has value though, and as a Flames fan I'd consider:

28th overall

for

Neuvirth
53rd overall

....likely still wouldn't do it though, as the Flames will likely already have too many pro goalies in the mix for next year already.

Ramo -> Basically cost us a 2nd rounder to acquire, and is rumored to have already agreed to a deal in principle
Berra -> Acquired in Bouwmeester deal, and already signed a contract
Ortio -> Rumored to be coming over from Finland next season
Brossoit -> Just signed an ELC, and turning pro in the fall

Add to that MacDonald, and although Kipper is quite possibly retiring nothing has been made official yet.

BurnEmUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 04:02 AM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnEmUp View Post
Not interested in Schultz at all, and Ribiero's UFA rights really have next to no value, especially with the UFA "wooing" period in effect this year......they'd be worth a conditional late round pick at best.

Neuvirth has value though, and as a Flames fan I'd consider:

28th overall

for

Neuvirth
53rd overall

....likely still wouldn't do it though, as the Flames will likely already have too many pro goalies in the mix for next year already.

Ramo -> Basically cost us a 2nd rounder to acquire, and is rumored to have already agreed to a deal in principle
Berra -> Acquired in Bouwmeester deal, and already signed a contract
Ortio -> Rumored to be coming over from Finland next season
Brossoit -> Just signed an ELC, and turning pro in the fall

Add to that MacDonald, and although Kipper is quite possibly retiring nothing has been made official yet.
So you're saying all Neuvirth's worth is a second (trade up from late second to late first). No. Way.

fedfed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 05:18 AM
Flames Maniac
Was Flamesfanatic12

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Exactly. I really, REALLY want us to draft Fucale if he is available still at 28th. You never know if goalie prospects will truly pan out, and they typically can take up until age 25 to be full developed and ready, such as a guy like Howard in Detroit. And I'd like to have the best depth in the league in terms of goalie prospects. Gives us some insurance of Ortio/Brossoit don't truly pan out, and if they do, and so does Fucale, we have a very nice position of strength to trade from.

And we don't need a guy like Neuvirth right now. Ramo/Berra will both get legitimate chances with this team, and I'm all for it. Maybe it won't work out, but Ramo has been tremendous overseas, and at least deserves the chance, and if he doesn't work out, we won't be legitimate contenders at least until some of our goalie prospects are ready anyways.

But yeah, I really like Fucale.

Flames Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote