HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 10.0

Closed Thread

Old
06-10-2013, 11:07 PM
Guilliam

vCash: 500
They say Kanzig has zero puck skills and that his shot and his skating can be timed with a sun dial! If that's true that would be a waste of a pick to gamble on someone like that to make it to the bigs even as a goon.

I agree that I wouldn't want to pass on superior skills to draft size, but I have a question.

Would you rather pick Petan at 25th or Lehkonen at #36? And for those who know them well, what separates the two of them?

Old
06-10-2013, 11:08 PM
Habsfannick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedved View Post
the weirdo in me, almost wants the habs to draft petan so the board will explore in smurf outrage.

I'm on the Petan bandwagon, if Erne, Lazar, Morrissey, or Zykov are not available..
I think the habs target will be Rychel he just has Bergevin pick written all over him

Old
06-10-2013, 11:18 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilliam View Post

Would you rather pick Petan at 25th or Lehkonen at #36? And for those who know them well, what separates the two of them?
Lehks at 36 is better value.

One is a winger, the other is a center. Lehkonen a better goal scorer and probably a better skater. Petan is the far superior playmaker though.

Lehkonen is not even that small, I believe he came in at 5'11'' at the combine.

Old
06-10-2013, 11:22 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
the weirdo in me, almost wants the habs to draft petan so the board will explore in smurf outrage.

I'm on the Petan bandwagon, if Erne, Lazar, Morrissey, or Zykov are not available..

My reaction if we take Petan:

Old
06-10-2013, 11:28 PM
BK201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfannick View Post
I think the habs target will be Rychel he just has Bergevin pick written all over him
I think he'll go higher then when the Habs pick.

Old
06-10-2013, 11:40 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
They say Kanzig has zero puck skills and that his shot and his skating can be timed with a sun dial! If that's true that would be a waste of a pick to gamble on someone like that to make it to the bigs even as a goon.

I agree that I wouldn't want to pass on superior skills to draft size, but I have a question.

I like both.... I think Petan still has more value.... and more offensive potential. Lekhonen would probably go higher if he was in the CHL. Ideally, I really want one of them... It would depend on what is left @ 25... I think Petan, ultimatelly, will go higher than 25... Offensive potential is just too high.

I really hate the mentality of not picking a player because he his smallish... We have the opportunity to land a prime offensive contributor @ 25.... This rarely happens. When he will play all our smallies will be gone... All the indesirable will... A duo of Petan and Gally would still be harder to play against than a Desharnais-Pacciorety we had this year....

Last edited by Mrb1p: 06-10-2013 at 11:49 PM.
Old
06-11-2013, 12:31 AM
overlords
youmyboyblou!

Won't be surprised if Petan is this year's collberg.

Old
06-11-2013, 12:54 AM
ChoseLa

Regarding Slight, he said the Habs plans seems to be that they will invite him to camp.

Old
06-11-2013, 06:12 AM
Whitesnake
Mediocre Stability

vCash: 725

Not because he lost but his boxing fundamentals aren't that great.....Even in his clear wins against Richer, not sure we can say that his style is orthodox. But I guess it's worth a try, it's not like we have tons of those players. We need to be careful in assessing boxing skills though. I remember how we were all thrilled about Andrew Conboy's domination in the USHL...and then he meet the NHL.

Old
06-11-2013, 06:21 AM
Whitesnake
Mediocre Stability

vCash: 725
Kanzig against big Joe Mahon.

And against freakin Goulborne, got surprised there but this little freakin pest. Not big but how about Goulbourne to be a pretty good lightweight fighter?

Old
06-11-2013, 06:32 AM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc-E- View Post
Half of the league say yes the other say no. A lot of team has him ranked in the third round. Personally , I'm not taking him before 55th selection if I'm the Habs.
Bailey has some incredible physical tools. He's a good skater, he's got a a good shot, nice set of hands, he's a good playmaker, he's got great size and footspeed, his dad was an NFL linebacker, he shows flashes of a very high IQ, seems to be a very good kid, can be physical and he's playing in a very good program in Kitchener.

However, as you can tell by his stats, he hasn't put it all together yet. His development has been stalled by being stuck in a weak league when he was younger and a couple of injuries this year.

He's a good project as he could become a very, very good hockey player if he can put it all together.

If we're going all in on the boom / bust picks, this guy has good potential. I'd take him at 34/36.

Old
06-11-2013, 07:37 AM
ChesterNimitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
Bailey has some incredible physical tools. He's a good skater, he's got a a good shot, nice set of hands, he's a good playmaker, he's got great size and footspeed, his dad was an NFL linebacker, he shows flashes of a very high IQ, seems to be a very good kid, can be physical and he's playing in a very good program in Kitchener.

However, as you can tell by his stats, he hasn't put it all together yet. His development has been stalled by being stuck in a weak league when he was younger and a couple of injuries this year.

He's a good project as he could become a very, very good hockey player if he can put it all together.

If we're going all in on the boom / bust picks, this guy has good potential. I'd take him at 34/36.
You imply that there is some valid alternative approach. Other than the top half dozen draft choices, all other players have a 'bust' risk attached to them. If that is true, why draft a player that has a limited or lesser upside? To use an analogy, what would you rather buy, a lottery ticket that had a higher chance of winning $10 or a ticket that had a lower chance of winning a million dollars? In the former case, winning will have little effect on your life style. In the latter case, everything changes. Drafting a 'safe' player who has a perceived better opportunity to play in the NHL, albeit at a lower level than another higher skilled player, will have little ameliorating effect on the team whether as a direct player or as a future asset that can be traded to acquire other assets. Setting our sights on players that project, at best, as 3rd or 4th line players or bottom pairing defencemen is a futile act in team building. We have three relatively high choices (25, 34 and 36) in a deep draft where we have the opportunity to choose players that, if they turn out, can turn around the fortunes of this team. Forget safe and let's reach (pardon the pun) for the stars. And if we fail, so what. We'll remain the 5th or 6th best team in the east. But at least we tried. It's simple: draft skill and sign 'safe' free agents.

Old
06-11-2013, 07:47 AM
7even
Go on, do your duty

Burakovsky at 25 and Müller at 34 on the Leafs mock; amIdointhisrite guyz?

Old
06-11-2013, 08:00 AM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

And against freakin Goulborne, got surprised there but this little freakin pest. Not big but how about Goulbourne to be a pretty good lightweight fighter?

[/QUOTE]

Can that Goulbourne play anything that resembles hockey? I prefer a pest like Goulbourne who can play some hockey than a titan who still needs training wheels when he goes for a skate.

Old
06-11-2013, 08:10 AM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
I'd be very happy with that. Then I'd go with Bailey or McCarron at 36, personally.

Old
06-11-2013, 08:11 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Well the more intriguing bit to me is that he was apparently matched against the other team's top lines and played #1 PK minutes (if what RLR says is true).

But again, we're talking no higher than the 7th round. We haven't had a 7th rounder even sniff the NHL since Sergei Kostitsyn, so we've already been wasting plenty of picks in that round.

Old
06-11-2013, 08:26 AM
ChesterNimitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I'd be very happy with that. Then I'd go with Bailey or McCarron at 36, personally.
Absolutely. Getting Burakowsky and anyone else in this draft will make it a great draft for us. I strongly believe when all is said, Burakowsky will be seen as one of the best players to come out of this draft. What's also interesting is that he is one of the few elite players that may actually be available at 25. All this endless chatter about Lazar and Horvat possibly being available is complete nonsense. If there's a run on defenceman and enough teams mistakenly shy away from the proverbial 'boom /bust' players, we just might have an opportunity to grab the type of player that I have been advocating we must pick.

Old
06-11-2013, 08:36 AM
Intangiblezzz

Quote:
Burakovsky has the potential to be great for a #25 pick.

Muller is a safe bet to be a top 6 guy on defense.

Would be a pretty good draft.

Old
06-11-2013, 08:37 AM
clearwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc-E- View Post
It might be Justin Bailey IMO.
All the guys would be good picks but I question Bailey's skating.

Old
06-11-2013, 08:37 AM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNimitz View Post
You imply that there is some valid alternative approach. Other than the top half dozen draft choices, all other players have a 'bust' risk attached to them. If that is true, why draft a player that has a limited or lesser upside? To use an analogy, what would you rather buy, a lottery ticket that had a higher chance of winning $10 or a ticket that had a lower chance of winning a million dollars? In the former case, winning will have little effect on your life style. In the latter case, everything changes. Drafting a 'safe' player who has a perceived better opportunity to play in the NHL, albeit at a lower level than another higher skilled player, will have little ameliorating effect on the team whether as a direct player or as a future asset that can be traded to acquire other assets. Setting our sights on players that project, at best, as 3rd or 4th line players or bottom pairing defencemen is a futile act in team building. We have three relatively high choices (25, 34 and 36) in a deep draft where we have the opportunity to choose players that, if they turn out, can turn around the fortunes of this team. Forget safe and let's reach (pardon the pun) for the stars. And if we fail, so what. We'll remain the 5th or 6th best team in the east. But at least we tried. It's simple: draft skill and sign 'safe' free agents.
Thank you for disregarding the bulk of my post Only wrote that in to tie it into the discussion.

But to roll with it, (just as an example) say Andre Burakowsky and Jacob De La Rose are available at our pick. Our scouting staff figures Andre has a 20% chance at becoming an impact player in the NHL, a 10% chance of being a useful but not impactful player in the NHL, and an 70% chance of never making the NHL. Jacob appears to have an 80% chance at becoming an NHL regular, %5 to be an impact player and 15% chance at never making it in the NHL. Who do you choose? There are many analogies that could work with this. A bird in hand is worth two in the bush?

Obviously the percentages are skewed , it's just forming a picture. Swing for the fences on two of our picks, dial it down with one of them so as not to walk away empty handed. That's how I feel. We've got the chance to play it risky as well as playing it safe, we're in a good spot.

Old
06-11-2013, 08:38 AM
7even
Go on, do your duty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNimitz View Post
Absolutely. Getting Burakowsky and anyone else in this draft will make it a great draft for us. I strongly believe when all is said, Burakowsky will be seen as one of the best players to come out of this draft. What's also interesting is that he is one of the few elite players that may actually be available at 25. All this endless chatter about Lazar and Horvat possibly being available is complete nonsense. If there's a run on defenceman and enough teams mistakenly shy away from the proverbial 'boom /bust' players, we just might have an opportunity to grab the type of player that I have been advocating we must pick.
Agreed, he has legitimate 30 goal sniper upside. Muller was just BPA, even though I wanted to grab a forward like McCarron, Dickinson, or Nastasiuk there.

I'm making the 36th selection soon, and I want to pick up a forward -- the monkey wrench being that Hagg is still on the board, who is consistently ranked in the 18-25 range. Obviously you guys know this team better than I do; hypothetically, what would you want to see the Canadiens do in that situation?

I see a team that needs to add size and skill to its top 6, while PK, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Gorges et al seem to have a pretty good handle on the top 4, that would make Hagg and Muller hard to fit in. Guess I just want to know your philosophy here d:

Old
06-11-2013, 08:47 AM
le_sean

Quote:
Agreed, he has legitimate 30 goal sniper upside. Muller was just BPA, even though I wanted to grab a forward like McCarron, Dickinson, or Nastasiuk there.

I'm making the 36th selection soon, and I want to pick up a forward -- the monkey wrench being that Hagg is still on the board, who is consistently ranked in the 18-25 range. Obviously you guys know this team better than I do; hypothetically, what would you want to see the Canadiens do in that situation?

I see a team that needs to add size and skill to its top 6, while PK, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Gorges et al seem to have a pretty good handle on the top 4, that would make Hagg and Muller hard to fit in. Guess I just want to know your philosophy here d:
You got the skilled guys, time to add the size. Never really thought Hagg was anything special. He's similar to Mueller but not as good of a skater.

I'd be leaning towards McCarron for that pick, though it is tough to pass on Bailey.

Old
06-11-2013, 08:49 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 567
I would have probably grabbed Mueller/Müller first, then tried to go all skill with the 2nd pick, but it works this way too.

I think picking Hagg and Müller would be a bit of an overkill. McCoshen is also still available.

Looking at the mock, I see Bailey, McCarron, Dauphin, Poirier, Dickinson, De La Rose and Nastasiuk as good fits for #36. Any one would be good in my view considering how the first 2 picks went.

Also hard to take it seriously when you guys all conspired to have Lazar available at 21.

Old
06-11-2013, 08:54 AM
Nedved

i would take mccoshen, nastasiuk, or mccarron.

Old
06-11-2013, 08:59 AM
le_sean

Quote:
i would take mccoshen, nastasiuk, or mccarron.
Nasty might be available at 55. I think 36 is too high for him. Even then, I'd prefer to wait and perhaps grab Moutrey, he shows more of an edge.

Closed Thread