HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Marc-Andre Fleury

Old
06-10-2013, 09:46 PM
Jet Set

vCash: 500
Marc-Andre Fleury

Why is everyone scoffing at the idea of picking up Fleury in a trade? Of course he's having his playoffs demons, that's for sure, but it seems like people are downplaying or just forgetting he's been more than decent in the regular season, which you know, gives teams the opportunity to play in the playoffs. Do you not see anyone that would possibly give him a chance to help get them into the playoffs?

Jet Set is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 09:49 PM
Teeder9

I don't care about Fleury. I don't want him on the Leafs. Doesn't mean he doesn't have lots of value. Just means he has none to me. What was the question?

Teeder9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 09:53 PM
Habiton

It's always like this after a player has a really bad stretch. It will change once the sting wears off. Always does. Personally I'm of the opinion that you need to always give your players who struggle another chance.

For how much I dislike the guy he will bounce back. You never ever trade an asset after a bad stretch, terrible management if they do.

Habiton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 09:54 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Set View Post
Why is everyone scoffing at the idea of picking up Fleury in a trade? Of course he's having his playoffs demons, that's for sure, but it seems like people are downplaying or just forgetting he's been more than decent in the regular season, which you know, gives teams the opportunity to play in the playoffs. Do you not see anyone that would possibly give him a chance to help get them into the playoffs?
I believe this to be the reason why. everyone's ultimate goal is to win the Stanley Cup. It's hard for that to happen if the goalie you pay 5m a year rarely shows up when it counts most.

Grant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 09:54 PM
tucker3434

He's expensive and he falls apart in the playoffs. No contending team will take a risk for a combination of both reasons. He could go to a rebuilder in need of a goalie, but that big cap hit reduces his value a lot. You just aren't going to get top dollar for a player that Pitt just want s to get rid of.

tucker3434 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 09:58 PM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker3434 View Post
He's expensive and he falls apart in the playoffs. No contending team will take a risk for a combination of both reasons. He could go to a rebuilder in need of a goalie, but that big cap hit reduces his value a lot. You just aren't going to get top dollar for a player that Pitt just want s to get rid of.
we actually don't know anything about whether or not they want to "get rid of him" yet. this is just one big assumption. it's like the speculative garbage Darren Dreger spewed about Malkin to get Twitter followers.

domaug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 10:12 PM
Teeder9

Quote:
Originally Posted by domaug View Post
we actually don't know anything about whether or not they want to "get rid of him" yet. this is just one big assumption. it's like the speculative garbage Darren Dreger spewed about Malkin to get Twitter followers.
I see what you did there...

Teeder9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 10:15 PM
tsujimoto74

He has a career .910sv% and his best single season performance was a .918. He's an average to below average goalie who becomes awful in the playoffs. The market's already flooded with goalies who are either better or could be acquired for nothing more than cash as UFAs. I can't see anyone wanting to part with something that would actually help the Pens for him.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 03:24 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Set View Post
He really hasn't been more than decent in the regular season. He has been a less than average NHL goaltender, he has never been one of the league's elite goaltenders even though people used to say he was. His wins are a product of the team he plays for.

His stats other than wins don't match up with the top NHL goaltenders. He is not on the same level as the top 15 or so goaltenders and the past couple of seasons he isn't on par with a lot of teams backup goaltenders including his own team.

Even if he gets back to his absolute peak he is still in the bottom-middle of the goaltending pack as far as starters go. If his salary wasn't over $5 million maybe it would be a risk a team would take if they think he could be their backup and work out of his 2 or so years of terrible play but at his current salary and the fact that he is a basket case right now I can't see many teams that would be willing to take him on.

Maybe I am wrong, but I just don't see it as a smart move to trade for him unless your team has a ton of cap space and the deal is an absolute no brainer where it isn't a big deal if he never works out.

nmbr_24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 03:29 AM
BrianBoyle
↓ Perfection ↓

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habiton View Post
It's always like this after a player has a really bad stretch. It will change once the sting wears off. Always does. Personally I'm of the opinion that you need to always give your players who struggle another chance.

For how much I dislike the guy he will bounce back. You never ever trade an asset after a bad stretch, terrible management if they do.
A "bad stretch"?

The last four times he's been in the playoffs, these are his sv %s: .883, .834, .899, .891.

That's far more than just a "stretch". It's four straight seasons of playoff futility.

Neutral Milk Hotel are literally GOAT
Amy Poehler <3

Credit to Ail for the sig.
BrianBoyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 08:33 AM
don

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
He really hasn't been more than decent in the regular season. He has been a less than average NHL goaltender, he has never been one of the league's elite goaltenders even though people used to say he was. His wins are a product of the team he plays for.

His stats other than wins don't match up with the top NHL goaltenders. He is not on the same level as the top 15 or so goaltenders and the past couple of seasons he isn't on par with a lot of teams backup goaltenders including his own team.
Good observation and I agree. If I was the pens GM I'd look to trade him first and buy him out second. He can't be placed on waivers and has a limited NMC in that he can designate teams he would accept a trade to. Off hand, I can't think of any that would want him.

Last edited by spiny norman: 06-11-2013 at 01:37 PM. Reason: [/QUOTE]
don is offline   Reply With Quote